Friday, October 20, 2017

Jayhawks look forward to ‘high stakes’ prime time challenge at No. 4 TCU

Kansas linebacker Joe Dineen Jr. (29) stops Texas Tech quarterback McLane Carter (6) on a run during the fourth quarter on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017 at Memorial Stadium.

It’s not often that a football player at the University of Kansas can take the field knowing what he does over the course of the coming four quarters could be applauded or scrutinized on a national stage.

That’s the scenario in front of the Jayhawks Saturday night at Amon G. Carter Stadium. TCU’s status as the No. 4 team in the nation inspired FOX to broadcast in prime time (7 p.m.) what shapes up as a lopsided Big 12 matchup.

Over the past several days, third-year head coach David Beaty, as most in his position would, frequently branded the rare Kansas night game on network television as an “opportunity.”

Sophomore safety Mike Lee explained why the Jayhawks (1-5 overall, 0-3 Big 12) are looking forward to the program’s first prime time network appearance since 2009 at Texas — incidentally loss No. 4 in KU’s current 43-game road losing streak.

Podcast episode

KU Sports Hour

Was Iowa State David Beaty's worst loss?

On this episode of the KU Sports Hour, hosted by KU football beat writer Benton Smith, the KUsports.com staff discusses KU's 45-0 blowout loss to Iowa State. Topics include: What happened to KU's offense? (2:30-12:15), worst losses of the David Beaty-era (12:15-23:05), how potential staff changes would work (23:05-28:45) and ...

Download podcast

“I’m really excited, because it will be my first time playing on national TV, where everybody can see how I really play and stuff like that,” said Lee, who called it a unique chance for the whole team.

Lawrence native and junior linebacker Joe Dineen, who grew up closely following the rise of Kansas football under former coach Mark Mangino and the fall that ensued post-Mangino, understands most college football fans and media members around the nation don’t follow KU closely. While TCU (6-0, 3-0) is favored by almost 40 points, Jayhawks such as Dineen, who leads all FBS players with 8.2 solo tackles per game, have an isolated shot at getting their talents recognized from coast to coast.

“It’s huge for us and it’s huge for the program moving forward in terms of recruiting and all that stuff. For us to be able to go out and show the whole country what we’re about is huge,” Dineen began. “And now, on the contrary, we know that it’s high stakes. We’ve got to go out there and perform, because if we don’t it is nationally televised and people will also see that.”

In particular, KU’s defensive play-makers, such as Lee, Dineen, and junior linemen Daniel Wise and Dorance Armstrong Jr. seem ready to embrace their potential time in college football’s national spotlight.

“That’s a whole other level,” Lee said. “Lawrence? Yeah, they know Dorance, Daniel Wise, me, Joe, but elsewhere nobody really knows us. Now we can show people that, yeah, (the Jayhawks) have some great talent on their team and they can play with anybody.”

Because TCU — which ranks in the top 20 nationally in both scoring offense (41.3 points, 11th) and scoring defense (17.3 allowed, 17th) — has emerged as a College Football Playoff candidate in the Big 12, the Jayhawks — who rank 92nd in scoring (24.7 points) and 128th in scoring defense (44.8 allowed) — realize this game projects as one of their most difficult on the schedule.

“So it’s maybe a little bit more pressure,” Dineen said of playing it on network TV, “but it’s pressure that we want.”

Added Lee: “I guess we can go out and prove to people that we can play with the best.”

KU hasn’t played on FOX in prime time since defeating Virginia Tech in the 2008 Orange Bowl. The Jayhawks’ most recent network TV game came in 2016, when KU won its only conference game of Beaty’s tenure to date, against Texas, on ABC.

Comments

Austin Lopez 3 weeks, 6 days ago

What the heck is going on? You mean to tell me in order to get some type of energy out this team they gotta play on Saturday night prime time? They seem to have more energy off the field about this prime time game than they have had all season in a actually game.

John Fitzgerald 3 weeks, 6 days ago

It’s just a show. It’ll be the same thing we’ve seen the last two weeks.

Ian Ballinger 3 weeks, 6 days ago

I believe. "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" - Proverbs 27:17. GOD BLESS KANSAS. HAVE FAITH!!!

Bryce Landon 3 weeks, 6 days ago

Memo to Mike Lee - Kansas has been on national television a lot - mainly cable channels like FS-1 and FSN and so forth. So the whole nation has had ample opportunity to see how you play before - that is, if the whole nation doesn't mind watching your team vomit and defecate all over the field week after week.

Doug Cramer 3 weeks, 6 days ago

Beaty has these kids way too distracted. Instead of providing media interviews after a 1-5 start, maybe they should be focusing their minds on the tasks involved that needs to be perfected in order to compete.

Mangino would never have let these kids be so distracted. And Mangino would never have let Mike Lee talk about himself like that. This is a team, and this individualism is partly to blame for our horrible start this year.

My wife and I flew into Fort Worth yesterday afternoon. This is the first KU road game I've been too since the Orange Bowl.

Brett McCabe 3 weeks, 6 days ago

Kudos for making the trip. Here's hoping that you get to see the biggest upset of the year!

Bryce Landon 3 weeks, 5 days ago

Not likely to happen. This isn't like 1984 when we upset #2 Oklahoma. In 1984 we had a decent coach in Mike Gottfried. We don't have a decent coach. And oh by the way, unlike the 1984 game against OU, we're on the road. We haven't won a road game since Obama's first year in the White House.

Ian Ballinger 3 weeks, 6 days ago

Made a thing. Stayed up all night trying to get it right. Hope y'all can get some sort of inspiration out of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU8m0...

David Kemp 3 weeks, 6 days ago

It inspired me but I don't think coach Beatty and the players get it!

Brett McCabe 3 weeks, 6 days ago

Wouldn't wast a second watching this tripe. No team deserves blessings over any other team. 99% of the time, the team that deserves to win, wins. If you haven't done the work (from recruiting, to coaching, to conditioning, to game-planning, to playing) then you haven't earned the right to get the W.

KU hasn't earned it because our athletic department has acted the fool for 3-straight hires and 8 years.

Ian Ballinger 3 weeks, 6 days ago

It's about culture change, too, it's not just about instant wins in football. I care about these players and coaches and want them to be successful in more than just football, football just happens to be the vehicle God's placed them in right now. The vehicle he's placed me in right now is student. And 27,000 other people on the hill. I care about the culture change aspect of it, and as a Jayhawk who isn't able to contribute athletically, being a fan WHO IS THERE feels like a way I can contribute. Maybe I'll try for a student manager position idk, we'll see where I feel lead. I'm a native to Kansas and the Topeka-Lawrence area. I love it here. I feel blessed to have been born here, and after 20+ years of living in NE Kansas, being moved to Southwest Kansas, Northwest Kansas, Central Kansas, Southeast Kansas (my parents are teachers so we moved wherever the teaching jobs were), and now back here in Lawrence, I feel connected to this state on a personal level lol.

It's about the importance of the Jayhawk and the meaning behind what it means to be a Jayhawker and what that stands for, from the symbols in the campanile that outline the principles and values of being a Kansan, to the historical significance of the word, to today, where we are a literal city on a hill.... it's not a tribal rain dance sort of thing I'm doing when I pray for the team or ask for prayers for the team and for the people surrounding the program. Also know that it's possible to pray for more than 1 thing at one time, and an eternal, all-knowing God that isn't bound by time would be capable of processing more than 1 prayer and more. Last post we talked about "wasted" prayers... I don't believer there are a finite amount of prayers. However, if you think that's what this is about, then we just have different views on the issue, and that's okay. I just believe that each of our lives matter and I believe there is a God that cares about everyone on a personal level.

As the verse goes, in Proverbs 27:17, "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." The role given to us as Jayhawks in the stands is to try to be that iron that sharpens our guys on the field. At least I feel like that's what I need to do anyway. Show up, that is, even when the season crumbles and even when things aren't looking good... just keep showing up. That's another value of being a Jayhawk.... when everything is burning down around you, you rise from adversity and keep fighting.

Anyway, God bless you, too, Brett. Rock chalk. Hope the nation is shocked tonight.

David A. Smith 3 weeks, 6 days ago

Ian- that was a fantastic video. If that doesn't light a fire, your wood's wet.

Godfirst

Ian Ballinger 3 weeks, 6 days ago

Thanks for the kind words. God bless you. God first. Hold the faith. Let's get that upset tonight!

Bryan Mohr 3 weeks, 6 days ago

Something more interesting than this game will be...

Here's my list to replace Beaty:

Candle, Frost, Mangino, Venables, Leavitt, Bohl, Fritz, Schiano, Blake Anderson, Calhoun, Pelini, Littrell, Fedora (if he becomes available)

I'm not sure why I post this stuff. Nobody important to the hiring process gives a care. I'm supposed to shut-up, buy tickets, attend games, and just "believe". Sorry, my KU education taught me to think. I've listed 13 names... please get this over with and pick one.

Bryce Landon 3 weeks, 5 days ago

Why would we want Bo Pelini? He was an @$$hole to the administrators and the fans - at a school where they care about football a lot! How do you think he'll act toward our administrators and fans? Also, why would he want to come back to a Big 12 when he and NU left the Big 12 to get away from Texas?

Bryan Mohr 3 weeks, 5 days ago

So sorry that you don't like every person on my list. Pelini is not my top choice, but I believe he would change the pathetic, soft football culture at Kansas. Apparently Youngstown St. has administrators, fans, and players that are able to tolerate him. Again, so sorry... it's wonderful that you're being so protective of KU's administrators that are doing such a fabulous job with the football program.

Bryce Landon 3 weeks, 5 days ago

He's the one person on the list I wouldn't want. Too toxic. And no, not trying to protect administrators. Just saying he's the one guy on that list who isn't worth the trouble, based on his behavior at Nebraska. Everyone else is definitely worth a shot - if they're up to the challenge.