Friday, October 20, 2017

Border War exhibition to be televised via pay-per-view option

Kansas players listen to their national anthem prior to the start of the basketball match between KU and an Italian selection of players, in Seregno, near Milan, Italy, Saturday, Aug. 5, 2017.

Kansas basketball officials announced Friday morning that this weekend's exhibition game against Missouri — 3 p.m. Sunday at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo., — will in fact be televised after all.

The cost for the telecast of the online stream of the event will be $40 and fans can sign up online at showdownforrelief.com. To expedite the expected rush, fans are encouraged to subscribe as soon as possible. As with the tickets to the game, all revenue derived from the telecast will go to aid the victims of the recent natural disasters in the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Veteran Kansas City broadcaster Leif Lisec will do play-by-play, while nationally known ESPN broadcasters Fran Fraschilla and Holly Rowe will serve as the color analyst and sideline reporter. All three will donate their time and talent to the cause.

Initially pegged as a radio-only game because of both sides' desire to sell out the arena in an effort to raise as much money as possible for hurricane relief, officials from both schools began looking into the idea of televising the game once the event sold out earlier this week.

"Our first objective was to sell out Sprint Center," the two schools said jointly in a release. "Once we achieved the sellout so quickly, our fans who could not get tickets expressed tremendous interest in having the game televised. We wanted to make sure that the charities we've identified would be the only entities to derive revenue from this game. SIDEARM Sports has provided the platform to allow us to create a second stream of revenue via this telecast."

According to a press release, SIDEARM Sports, the official website provider for both schools' athletics departments, has arranged the platform for the telecast and is waiving all fees to ensure that all revenue raised is directed to relief efforts. Money raised from the game will be contributed to the organizations that the five living former U.S. Presidents have come together to support: the Houston Harvey Relief Fund, the Rebuild Texas Fund, the Florida Disaster Fund, Juntos y Unidos Por Puerto Rico and the Fund for the U.S. Virgin Islands.

— BORDER WAR QUIZ: Test your knowledge of Border Wars past and enter to win a $25 Visa gift card.

Comments

Phil Leister 1 month ago

So, any ideas if this will be similar to the Flohoops livestream in Italy, or a little more professionally done?

$40 is nothing to sneeze at, and I know it's going to a good cause. Still, I'd hope the broadcast doesn't look like it's coming from a cell phone.

Zach Mitts 1 month ago

It sounds like it's going to be a professional broadcast crew, so I would imagine it's going to be good quality. Hard to compare the Sprint Center to those Italian gyms.

Daniel Kennamore 1 month ago

Am I misreading something or is this only going to be a stream?

I wouldn't label something as 'televised' if the only way to watch is on your computer or mobile devices.

Ian Ballinger 1 month ago

I'd guess a lot of sports bars in the KC-Lawrence-Topeka areas will be airing it for a fee. Lot of bars in Lawrence put "The Fight" back in August up on the TVs for like a $5 entry fee, but they were streaming it still.

Marius Rowlanski 1 month ago

You can stream video directly to your TV. You can even use your PlayStation.

Cary Ediger 1 month ago

HDMI cord from your computer to TV, change the input on TV and watch.

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

As great as it is to contribute to the disaster relief, I also cringe at the thought that this is another "lottery" as well as developing into bending over the border. By "lottery" I mean that as I recall the "lottery" was first sold to the voters as a method of providing (?additional?) funding for schools. Noble cause. Fund the education of our future. The reality was that there wasn't an increase in funding education.

I suspect that for several years there will be special excuses to justify the game before it becomes accepted as normal.

"Hello Ben, or should I call you Mr. Dover?"

Shannon Gustafson 1 month ago

That's a lot of (negative) assumptions made on a single exhibition game.

Ryan Zimmerman 1 month ago

$40? For a freaking exhibition game? I get that it's charity, but it's also not a championship boxing match either

Ian Ballinger 1 month ago

I mean to a lot of lifelong Jayhawks who grew up with this, it's more than just another exhibition. I'd be paying the $40 if I wasn't fortunate enough to have snagged a ticket.

Ryan Zimmerman 1 month ago

I grew up on it as well, but I guess I'm just cheap

Kevin Whelan 1 month ago

OK... Curiosity question for the tax experts out there. If I pay $40, or in this case contribute $40, to catch the Border War game streaming, is that considered a donation as I itemize on my taxes?

RJ King 1 month ago

If the streaming is purchased, must it be watched live? Or will there be access over the next several days to watch at my convenience?

Cary Ediger 1 month ago

I signed up for it, don't see anything in a FAQ's about watching it as a replay.

Joe Ross 1 month ago

I went to purchase the game but it said I had to create an account, then nowhere did it ask for me to provide a login and password. confused!

RJ King 1 month ago

yes, and I know how to hook up phone / iPad / computer to tv, but it's not clear to me if this is actually televised (on a channel), or if it's a stream - like espn3 that can be watched later on replay. i'm working tomorrow.