Friday, November 24, 2017

Keegan

Tom Keegan: Beaty gives captains big role in choosing punishment for handshake snub

Kansas head coach David Beaty yells at a player during the third quarter on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017 at Memorial Stadium.

Kansas Public Radio issued an apology/correction to Kansas football coach David Beaty for reporting Wednesday that he was in on the plan for the captains to stiff leading Heisman Trophy candidate Baker Mayfield at the coin-toss handshake.

The mistake arose when the sound used of Daniel Wise talking about the Monday meeting between Beaty and the captains was misinterpreted as the discussion having taken place before the incident, rather than on Monday, two days after the display of poor sportsmanship.

The Monday discussion centered on the punishment. Remarkably, the captains had a hand in crafting the nature of the punishment, which actually is too strong a word to use.

If ever Beaty wants to run for judge, the fact that he allowed those being punished to have a big say in the penalty surely will keep him from getting elected.

Simon Cowell, Beaty is not.

“We talked a little bit about what was going to take place, and it was good listening to their thoughts, as well,” Beaty said at his Tuesday presser. “One of the things that they articulated before I talked about what we were going to do with them was the fact that they felt terrible about a lot of different things, but one of which was senior day, and that those guys were not able to be really honored in the way that they wished they could have.”

The coach tugged at the heartstrings of the fans with that one, painting the captains as contrite heroes thinking of their senior brethren. Then the coach announced the “punishment.”

“Those guys are not going to be captains for us this week,” Beaty said. “In their place, we're going to send our seniors out to be the captains this week in an attempt to give these guys the proper honoring that they deserve, and I know those guys felt strongly about that. As a matter of fact, they were the ones who actually brought it up to me, which I was really impressed with.”

I’m getting misty-eyed. Come to think of it, let’s throw a parade for the junior captains!

My takeaway from Saturday night’s handshake-gate was that it proved the captains didn’t fear consequences from the football coach — and they were right in not fearing any. There haven’t been consequences. So they don’t get to walk onto the field for the coin toss for one game. Big deal.

As everyone knows, Beaty was pretty cool with the handshake caper after the game and, two days later, apologized to the world. What changed? Presumably, athletic director Sheahon Zenger, too late to undo the damage done by Beaty in the postgame presser, let him know his Saturday night take didn’t get the job done. Perhaps influential alumni weighed in, as well.

By nature, Zenger is not a proactive AD. In this instance, that quality could have come in handy had he cut off Beaty on his way to the postgame press conference and made sure he would be properly outraged at the botched coin toss.

It was disappointing that the captain whose idea it was still has not fessed up, because in so doing, he would have lessened the role of the others to accomplices. Now, they all take the full hit.

Oh, well, it could have been worse. Try to picture the fallout had KU cornerback Hasan Defense's cheap shot on Mayfield not only ended his season and hurt his chances at winning the Heisman Trophy, but also prevented Oklahoma, and thereby the Big 12, from reaching the four-team college football playoff. The Big 12 already can't be too delighted about Kansas averaging 26,641 spectators for its seven home games when the other nine members average 59,613.

As for the Sooners, well, disrespected opponents tend to have long memories. Want to pay for your 2018 Christmas gifts? Then fly to Las Vegas in advance of the Nov. 17 KU-OU football game in Norman and bet the over. Count on Sooners coach Lincoln Riley trying to pin 100 points on Beaty's Jayhawks, and don't think he won't have the players to make that happen.

Comments

Brett McCabe 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Well...you can't spell kumbaya without KU.....and beat-down and Beaty have the same root.

Everything about this situation has been a mess. First, it was a stupid idea. Second, three "captains" had to go along with it. Third, Beaty endorsed if afterwards. Fourth, and I haven't seen this addressed yet, two of the "captains" were allowed to dodge the media after the "beat-down". Fourth, Beaty's follow-up response - I mean every single time he talks, I immediately just throw up my hands in disbelief. Man, if only my parents had allowed me to participate in outlining my punishments, life would have been good.

If you are a KU football fan, and you haven't emailed the chancellor, please do so today. This is simply ridiculous. We deserve a real football program, not a clown-show.

Bill Kackley 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Keagan, why dont you go on vacation. All you seem capable of doing is ridicule Coach Beaty. You are about as classless as they come.

Jeff Coffman 2 weeks, 6 days ago

He doesn't have to ridicule Beaty...Beaty does it himself... read the article the quotes are from Beatty not Tom.

Joe Norgay 2 weeks, 6 days ago

It's not classless for someone to explain why Coach Beaty is not a good football coach. He is clearly in over his head and this has been shown game after game after game. He doesn't understand the role and responsibilities of being a good head coach and that's not even talking about his 3-33 record.

Save me the "he puts more into this program than you'll ever dream of/he loves KU more than anyone I know" yeah well between him and Zenger, they're making a couple million dollars to put in effort/love the university. Give me half that and I'll work 100 hours a week and get down on one knee for KU.

This. is. a. results. oriented. business. Zenger is 10-62 or whatever and Beaty is 3-33. They simply cannot do it. It's long been past the time to get rid of Zenger and now Beaty. There are people out here that are worth the gamble because guess what, they're sure as hell not gonna go 3-33 in 3 years or 10-62 in 7.

Girod needs to do the thing thats obvious to everyone in the entire country and fire Zenger and probably Beaty (I'm ok with a new AD having Beaty on a very short leash next year even) and if he's not doing it because he's been smooth talked by Beaty or Zenger then he's gonna be a complete failure as a chancellor when it comes to sports. And if he's being prevented by Booth or Anderson, that's just terrible.

Mike Hart 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Bill, you are just going to accept it. Every day, someone is going to ask Beaty some twist on what happened on the handshake. And every day... no matter how he answers it... someone will spin it... and/or find fault with it. It is what it is. Keegan very clearly would like to see Beaty go, as would so many others on here. It doesn't matter that there has been 2 years and 10 months prior where our players have generally been class acts on the field and off... but that all gets lost given KU football's dismal won/loss record. You are going to have to accept that they are going to demean criticize Beaty at every turn. There have been 6-8 articles alluding to Beaty's handling of this no handshake event. It's not new material... it's the same regurgitation ... and it appeals to 90% of the people on here who are just begging for Beaty to be gone. I'm not one of the 10%. For once, I'd like to see KU stop firing coaches every 2-3 years. I've got Beaty for one more year, and if not then.. I'll support someone new. In the meantime, I'll be watching every week.. and supporting these guys taking the field. I don't enjoy the losing any more than the rest of the folks on here.. and I'm not going to criticize anyone for feeling differently. But these articles don't serve any purpose... how many times can you re-has the same event over and over. Thankfully, there is a game tomorrow in Stillwater... and there will be new, fresh material to criticize Beaty and Co... while still throwing in a few barbs about last weeks' captain's still playing in this game, as if they are ex-cons.. undeserving of a chance to make amends... and apparently: Unable to be forgiven for making a mistake.

Jeff Coffman 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I think the omission in your article is that Dr Girod heard from a lot of disappointed alumni. I think this is hard for Dr Girod, he truly wants this to work and he wants Zenger to stay. I think the vote of confidence was an omen. He now sees what he didn't want to see...a coach without a solution.

As I mentioned, coaches would have taken care of the issue immediately. My understanding was Beaty met with the players at least three times prior to a punishment. I really don't think Beaty comprehended what occurred and still thinks his players put their foot down and he was proud of them. Dr Girod forced a punishment and that is why Beaty won't be the coach on Monday.

Frederick Heckel 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Now if only he knew they were also mocking Mayfield's arrest. That is why their hands were behind their backs as they acted like a bunch of immature classless pricks.

Mike Hart 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Frederick: Immature, classless pricks. Wow... that's awfully strong commentary for 3 guys who in 3 years have never shown any PRIOR track record of incidents/issues. If you get a speeding ticket, I guess I'll call you out as a life-long, anarchist hell raiser.

[''] 2 weeks, 6 days ago

If the 3-33 record didn't make you angry, then maybe the horrendous offense & defense & turnover margin stats should anger you. If not that then you can choose the horrific lack of discipline or him punting inside the opponent's 40 yard line on 4th & 2. I was done when we lost at home to Central Michigan. Losing to Baylor at home (when Baylor traveled 21 walk ons) and have worse scholarship numbers than we do should've done the trick. Nope. It got worse. We had to embarrass ourselves on national television. Need more? I can go on.......

Edward Daub 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Baker "Handball" Mayfield is a "Punk"! He will flame out in the NFL as did his Idol Johnny "Football" Manziel!

Was Hasan Defense Ejected for Targeting? The Answer is No!

Jack Hoff 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Why are we still rehashing this? Jesus Christ Keegan, give it a rest. They are pretty much getting the same punishment Baker is getting and somehow you guys thought Lincoln Riley was Bill Belichick himself for removing his captain status and sitting him for probably one series. Keegan perfectly crafted this article to make it sound like the kids picked their punishment and Beaty just went along with it. False; one of my best buds is one of the equipment managers on the team and you bet your butt they ran hills, apologized to the team and then during a conversation with coaching staff they said they don’t deserve to be captains. That’s not that unusual. Keegan just has his personal agenda. And for those of you that haven’t played a team sport at a competitive level being a captain is a big deal and losing that status or having that status be questioned is quite embarrassing. This is a learning experience that will make them better leaders in the future. No coach in America goes through their coaching career without dealing with issues like this so let’s not be hypocrites and pretend this is unique to Beaty when you all we have to do is look at Naismith Drive and find another million examples of bad behavior by KU players and coaches even.

Bryan Mohr 2 weeks, 6 days ago

"one of my best buds is one of the equipment managers on the team". That explains it. Most of the supporters of Zenger and Beaty have personal ties to them, Bowen, players, or staff. No amount of evidence that clearly shows the lack of progress under Beaty and Zenger will make a difference to people who are “buds” with those whose jobs may be lost should Zenger and Beaty get fired.

David Beaty, (1-31 vs FBS, 1-25 vs Big12). Under Zenger, (4-60 vs FBS, 3-50 vs Big12). I have nothing personal against Zenger or Beaty. They’re just not showing any progress or reason for hope.

Jack Hoff 2 weeks, 6 days ago

exactly thats the difference to us people with "personal ties to Beaty" and the rest of yall. We've actually met the guy and know what he's about. So when we see Fake news on here it gets old. The biggest one I see is that he's lost his players. That couldn't be any farther from the truth. Those players would run through a wall for Beaty, they just suck and he knows that. He's just not gonna be like Weis and call them a pile of crap in public.

David Kemp 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Maybe they should run thru a wall. They can’t run thru a tackle.

Jim Stauffer 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Next up, Keegan reminds us Beaty is not only 1-11 this year but has bad breath also.

Bill Kackley 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Thank you Jack Hoff, that was the point I was making. If Keagan was any good at his job he could find something else to write about or at least print the whole truth rather than just information that meets his own personnel agenda. Hen isn't even the best reporter on his own newspaper.

Jack Hoff 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Exactly Bill! This article serves zero purpose other than to push a narrative on a fan base that is already riled up. No reason to rehash that situation.

Bryson Stricker 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I'm going to preface what I'm going to say, by saying this: I am very glad I chose to come to KU and to be a Jayhawk. I will be one forever.

HOWEVER, I swear we have one of the stupidest fan bases. I understand we are a basketball school first and deservingly so. Amazing tradition and great fan support. However, I fully believe none of you actually watch CFB.. The emotions involved in CFB are MUCH higher than in the NFL. The fans, the players and coaches have way more invested (attending school here, having paid to go to school, being donors etc.). This results in a lot of "unsportsmanlike" behavior that we don't ever see in Basketball and I think a lot of you just don't understand that.

Last night, the Egg Bowl. These dudes were chasing each other around the f***ing field trying to kill each other before the game because they literally hate each other. This is the stuff that makes CFB amazing. People be putting each other in headlocks and we as Kansas fans are complaining about our captains wanting to prove a point (which they did.. our Defense held OU to their worst production of the year and in first half played out of their minds. Should have honestly been 7-3) by not shaking a cocky dbag's hand. (I was an OU fan growing up and still support OU so don't try to say i'm hating on baker). I fully respect the captain's decision and those of you who don't have probably never played a down of competitive football. As a Football coach, David Beaty did exactly what I would have wanted my coach to do and supported his player's decision and addressing that it may have been the wrong way to go about it.

Y'all should shut the f*** up and be glad our players haven't given up like every other 1-10 school has.

Curt Wright 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Charlie Weis signed 5 high school offensive lineman in his 3 years. Jacob Bragg has been the best of the bunch. When starting in that kind of hole in a critical area of the team, it is going to take awhile. I believe there is talent in the offensive line but they shouldn't be playing yet. I don't think a single one of them would be starting anywhere in the Big 12, not necessarily because they aren't talented kids they just haven't been out of high school long enough to develop into Big 12 starting lineman. I am not sure you can accurately judge anyone on this team because of the hole we are having to dig out of in such a critical area of the college game.

David Kemp 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Given up? The largest margin of any 1-10 school. But there are only 2 other 1-10 power 5 schools and clearly we are a runaway worst statistically.

John Brazelton 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I, for one, hopes that the Jayhawks end up with a winning season in 2018, just so Tom Keegan and few other posters can eat crow for a whole year. Of course, even with a winning record, Keegan would be on the team and coaching staff for not winning the Big 12 Championship and for not winning the National Championship game. My opinion of Tom Keegan hasn't changed, apparently from his photos and videos on-line, his head and his butt are the same size as his gigantic personal ego.

Jeff Coffman 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I hope a lot of things, but a coach that has won 3 football games and 2 against Dii opponents doesn't magically win 7 games in a single year. If we have a winning record next year it will be because we have a different coach.

David Kemp 2 weeks, 6 days ago

He may not even beat the fcs school on our schedule

Andy Godwin 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Mr. Keegan, as fellow curmudgeon, try waking up on the right side of the bed now and then. Yes, the football program is the worst and the head coach is a nice guy, maybe even the dreaded "players' coach", which never seems works out well. But until the "Tom Keegan fund to fire the AD and head coach" can raise enough money to force a change, we can only hope that the 2018 version, with Beaty's first senior class, are able to convert effort into wins.

Greg Ledom 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Did we really need yet another article on this topic? This team and staff has certainly dug themselves a big ass hole that they can barely see (if any) light at this point. Regardless of what each of us thinks about giving coach another year or to cut bait and move on, this topic on a handshake snub is dead as a door nail. And no, I’m not OK with it, it was a dumbass move by a program not needing additional play at this point, but is there really more to discuss? Not in my opinion.

Tom K., your articles have a very consistent negative spin of late (and probably rightly so) as there isn’t much of anything positive to report on football wise. Having said that, I’d like to ask you flat out, do you want Beaty fired? Don’t shirk the question with, it’s not my decision, or it doesn’t really matter what I think, etc. Do you want Beaty fired, yes or no?

John Fitzgerald 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I don’t care what anyone says, Beaty is a special kind of coach. 3-32 in 3 years? It takes a unique kind of stupid to get that record. .

[''] 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Bryson,

"At least they don't quit like other 1-10 teams do?"

How many other 1-10 Power 5 teams are there??? Answer: NONE

If you miraculously found one FBS team that's 1-10, I guarantee you they were not 2-10 last season or WINLESS the year before that.

Jeff Coffman 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Baylor is 1-10, but of course they didn't quit when they played at KU... our team did.

Bryson Stricker 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Illinois, UNC, Oregon State.. UNC was good a few years ago. These teams are now getting destroyed. It's not hard to get wins when you have 2-3 fcs teams on your schedule each year. It sucks we do not.

David Kemp 2 weeks, 6 days ago

You are dead wrong. None of those teams have 2 fcs on schedule and they all are much more competitive than we are.

Bryson Stricker 2 weeks, 6 days ago

My bad, forgot that Old Dominion isn't FCS.

Ball State, Western Kentucky etc aren't much better than the FCS foes teams play anyways.. CSU? Come on dude. We'd have beaten those teams. We played a pretty good Ohio team and a CMU team that has a damn good QB. Winning 2-3 games early completely changes your season.

David Kemp 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Wow how we reason defending the worst power 5 team in the country, in history.

Thomas Green 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Seems clear to me, but why do you or anyone else care if Tom Keegan believes these chuckle heads should be shown the door? Three years and no progress whatsoever should be enough.

Scott Frost hasn’t lost a game this year. He has had clear signs of progress every year since taking over UCF. He started in at least the same terrible position as Beaty did. Proof it can and has been done. Why do many here expect so little of our program. It seems to me emblematic of why we are in this position. The only way to fix this is to demand better, not settle, not cower in fear, take the bull by the horns and vow to turn this around no matter what it takes! The hell with history, start a new history NOW! Not tomorrow, not a year from now, right damn now! It can be done!

Aaron Paisley 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Scott Frost did not start in the position Beaty did. UCF's 0-12 season was an anomaly in their recent history.

Doug Cramer 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Good article Tom Keegan. Your point regarding the lack of discipline is spot on. Can you imagine how Mangino would have responded to our captains. Can you imagine how Mangino would have responded to Hasan Defense's two consecutive penalties that led to a touchdown with 40 seconds left in the half. Some of these posters are just down right mean, and can not accept reality.

Jack Hoff 2 weeks, 6 days ago

He probably would have hit him and verbally assault him in private.

Miles Nease 2 weeks, 6 days ago

It is a sad commentary when a sports columnist, who isn’t even a KU alum, cares more about the football program, than Strong Hall.

Doug Merrill 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I too think this was a good article, Tom. The discipline that never came to the captains for poorly representing the University would have been swift from most other (winning) coaches.

The bottom line is that I have been willing to give Beaty the time to build his program. That doesn't mean that I think he is doing a good job.

Jeff Coffman 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Lets see...Beaty signed an incentive laden contract and has not met any of the incentives.

David Kemp 2 weeks, 6 days ago

The greatest incentive he will fulfill on his contract is the buyout clause !

Dale Rogers 2 weeks, 6 days ago

My comment has nothing to do with whether I think Beaty should stay or go. I want to point out that the headline for this article is typical media trying to sway its readership's opinions. The headline says Beaty gave the captains a big role in choosing their punishment. To the casual reader or the headlines-only reader that sounds like Beaty said, hey, guys, how do you want to be punished? But the article says nothing of the kind. The only thing even close to that in the article is that the captains suggested this particular punishment. How many times have I done the same thing when my kids were little? I wanted to see how severe they saw their mistake to be. And if their suggestion lined up with mine then I went with that punishment. Had they come up with something less, I sure would have handed down the punishment I had in mind.

Bottom line, the headline on this article continues Keegan's campaign to raise the ire of the football fans and has very little to do with reality.

Again, my comment is not to say Beaty should stay or leave. It has everything to do with my growing disdain for the media in general. I did have a lot of respect for kusports but with Keegan's campaign that respect is falling away very rapidly.

Charlie Gaughn 2 weeks, 6 days ago

This article clearly explains why, in year three, Beaty's "rebuild" has been a total failure. A lack of talent isn't the reason the team can't tackle, block, or even remember the snap count quite often. It's all about discipline and this program has none. I certainly believe you have to give a coach time, but there's got to be signs of progress. The team has been less competitive this year than at the end of Beaty's first year. There's clearly been a giant step backward from the end of last season.

Zenger has, once again, stood by hoping for success rather than stepping up to the plate and demanding that the coach takes charge. GET HIM OUT! Let the next AD make the decision on whether there's anything to salvage with this coaching staff. If so, great. Give them another year or even two. We can't continue on with business as usual.

Doug Merrill 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Dale, It's an opinion piece. It is not reporting the facts of a car accident. He is supposed to be arguing a point. Your use of the term "Typical media" indicates a misunderstanding of the defense of freedom of speech inherent in journalists' ability to write what they think, not what someone else tells them to think... I hope that will always be "typical media" in the USA.

"Dale Rogers My comment has nothing to do with whether I think Beaty should stay or go. I want to point out that the headline for this article is typical media trying to sway its readership's opinions"

Howell Johnson 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Old trick. Fuel controversy. Attract readers and sell more news/advertising. Get pat on back from boss and maybe pay raise.

Bill Kackley 2 weeks, 5 days ago

I also have gained a distain for Keagan as he continues to beat a dead horse to death.

Charlie Gaughn 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Do any of you that keep supporting “Business as usual” even care if this program ever succeeds? When we’re tuning in at 10:00 pm to watch us play a road Mountain West game maybe you’ll wish a little more urgency had been given to success. It’s coming, believe me.

Richard Duran 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Mayfield got benched. Beatty has no guts. This should be the last straw.

3-32

Mike Hart 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Here we go.. comparing Mayfield's crotch-grabbing... F bombs to KU players / sidelines / fans... all caught on national television video and audio... to our players standing with their hands behind their back. I would HOPE that if someone was suspended... it would be Mayfield. Unlike our "captains"... this isn't Mayfield's first rodeo with crossing the line.

Aaron Paisley 2 weeks, 5 days ago

So you don't care that Hasan Defense took a cheap shot a Mayfield that provoked Mayfield's response?

If anybody deserves a suspension, it's Defense for his cheap shot, dirty hit he laid on Mayfield.

[''] 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Every single MAC team can come into Memorial Stadium & beat a Beaty-coached team by 2 TDs. Every one of them. We have 2- NFL draft prospects on our DL and would still lose at home to ALL MAC teams. That's 100% on Beaty.

Brian Skelly 2 weeks, 5 days ago

It does seem that virtually all of Keegan's articles about this gets the repetitive responses from of all of us, myself included.

There's simply no defense of Zenger and Beaty at this point. None. Any other school would have moved on by now, especially at AD. Some poster commented that getting a new AD with a short leash for Beaty would be acceptable. I'd concur.

The lone "good" argument I've heard on keeping Zenger is fundraising, simply doesnt understand how fundraising works. So it's not really a good argument.

If both Zenger and Beaty are still employed in their current positions come next years lone KU football win at whatever 1-AA team we're playing then folks that matter at KU are asleep at the wheel. More than anything else, that's the shame of this.