Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Kansas extends scholarship offer to dual-threat, junior college quarterback

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas has extended a scholarship offer to Victor Viramontes, a 6-foot-2, 230-pound, junior college quarterback, according to Rivals.com.

What makes the offer interesting is that Viramontes does not fit the prototype of an Air Raid quarterback in that he is a run-first threat.

Viramontes spent a semester at California as a redshirt and then transferred to Riverside City College, where he is playing this season. In his past two games, Viramontes rushed for 355 yards and four touchdowns and passed for 178 yards and three touchdowns.

Minnesota is among the other schools that have offered a scholarship to Viramontes, according to Rivals.

All three Kansas quarterbacks — Carter Stanley, Peyton Bender and Tyriek Starks — are scheduled to be back next season. The offer to Viramontes, a native of Norco, California, suggests that the KU starting quarterback for the 2018 season-opener might be someone not yet in the program. Viramontes’ style also opens questions as to what sort of tweaks KU might make to its pass-first offense next season.

Comments

Brett McCabe 1 week, 2 days ago

Ironic that, after Beaty insists his commitment to the long view, he offers another JUCO QB. Also interesting that it follows Keegan's analysis of the JUCO/Transfer problem we already have.

Dirk Medema 1 week, 2 days ago

His commitment to the long view has not changed nor has the ultimate priority of the QB position. At this point it appears that our best option is Stanley and he's only completing 50% of his passes as he was last year as well. If that status quo is okay with you then you are contradicting everything you have said for months and are just looking for a reason to complain.

It would be more credible if you would comment on it being out of character for an air raid O.

Or maybe comment on wishing we could see Starks in game action.

Or just find a reason to whine.

Dyrk Dugan 1 week, 2 days ago

He sounds like a very interesting prospect; big, and run first. We don’t really run the air raid anyway. It would do us a lot of good to tweak it to a more Urban Meyer esque, zone read, option type, rolling pocket type of approach. Beaty and Meacham could do a lot of things with an athlete like this at QB.

Austin Lopez 1 week, 2 days ago

We already have a athletic QB on the roster his name is Starks! This coaching staff is out of control.

Jack Hoff 1 week, 2 days ago

So if they think someone can help them win are they suppose to just not offer them? Oh I forgot, you’ve got years of tangible recruiting at he Division 1 level and are smarter than everyone else.

Matthew Gaylor 1 week, 1 day ago

I just find it funny that Beaty says he doesn't want to take shortcuts and that he needs 4-5 year players, yet he continues to recruit JUCOs to take the shortcut. I thought JUCOs weren't the answer?

John Fitzgerald 1 week, 2 days ago

Beaty is starting to look like a sociopath. Uses his charm to get people to like him while saying one thing, and then goes and does the complete opposite. I mean, what the hell?

John Fitzgerald 1 week, 2 days ago

I feel like Ashton Kutcher is gonna pop up somewhere and we’re all on some big episode of punked.

Ryne McNeely 1 week, 2 days ago

This is one of the biggest head scratchers of the entire year, and thats saying something because we have had a lot!

Jim Stauffer 1 week, 2 days ago

No one has even asked the question as to whether this represents an upgrade at the QB position. We have suffered through bad QB's and bad teams ever since Todd has graduated. Wonder if there is any correlation? This staff has to get the players here who can win and until they are fired that is what they should be trying to do. If and when our staff begins to try to conduct themselves so Tom Keegan will think they are consistent is when they should be immediately terminated. If Keegan was qualified to coach the team he would be the coach. What he is qualified to do is criticize those who do. That is what journalists do. He does a good job, but his criticism does not in any way provide a template for developing a roster or coaching a team.

Jack Hoff 1 week, 2 days ago

Spot on Jim. Armchair coaches who can’t manage their diet much less a Division 1 football program!

John Fitzgerald 1 week, 2 days ago

Tom,

Just to show how stupid this scholarship offer is, can you compile a list of ALL the JUCO & Transfer players we've had since Mangino left? And then have a column of their contributions, such as games played, snaps played, plays made, etc. so at your next conference when you ask him about this and he starts blubbering nonsense you can say, "well, according to the last 8 years JUCO & Transfer players do not and have not worked out." And when he asks you to elaborate you can, and then we can all see the dumb look on his face as he sits there trying to find another excuse.

Marius Rowlanski 1 week, 1 day ago

Matt Campbell came to Iowa State in 2016 and they are now firmly in the top 20 AP poll. At some point, we need to coach who can start building a program BEFORE he gets his recruits.

Bill Snyder took a team that hadn't won a game in 3 years and was called "Futility U". It didn't take him to get his recruits in place before they started winning.

Mark Mangino took 2 years to go from 2-10 to the Tangerine Bowl.

As much as I get upset watching recruits walk away until someone is able to bring a culture of winning to Kansas, what is going to change?

Chris DeWeese 1 week, 1 day ago

I agree that juco players should be the exception rather than the rule. I also remember what Bill Snyder said about juco players. Bill said something to the effect that if they can play, let them play. Why would you want to pass up on a good player just because they are in juco? Now, whether or not Beaty and Co can effectively evaluate that level of talent is the key question.

Lynn Stuart 1 week, 2 days ago

please forgive me my memory isnt so good anymore, but wasnt Beaty contacted by a former ku player thats coaching juco football about his qb that plays just like todd? and this qb never got a second look with Beaty saying thanks but no thanks

Chris DeWeese 1 week, 1 day ago

That's news to me, but I've also heard that football analysts (don't ask me who) have very little confidence in Beaty's ability to identify talent. This is strange considering his pedigree for recruiting.

Glen Miller 1 week, 2 days ago

I love our school and I am always a Jayhawk fan....... but at this point I am just not even sure what direction our football team is even going from a personnel standpoint. Too many JUCO players and not enough development of high school players. This band aid - patchwork recruiting every year is growing tiresome. You can't come in and talk about building through the high school players and then always bring in JUCO players at the positions that matter most. It's becoming hard for me to hitch my wagon onto anything Beaty says because his actions prove opposite in many situations. We brought him here to bring in Texas High School talent and he said he would hit it hard....... we had 1 single Texas high school recruit in our last class. He said that he was going to play the best players who gave them the best chance..... then he started Cozart, then he started Bender. He has mentioned several times how important it is to have a staff behind you that can get the job done........ every position on the staff has been a revolving door with little to no consistency from year to year and Clint Bowen is STILL our D-coordinator (side note: I love Bowen and appreciate how much he loves KU, but he's not the answer there). He said that we would be much improved this year..... then this year happened and we are worse. I want to get on board with this regime, I really do more than I can remember. However, games aren't worth watching, message boards are filled with really hateful things about our coaches and players that makes me not want to go to them. ESPN analysts are laughing their butts off during our "highlights" because of how inept we are as a team and they can't believe what they are watching is a Division 1 college football team. I don't even get picked on anymore by my friends because we are THAT BAD and it's not worth their breath.

I am honestly embarrassed to be a fan of our football team and I have never felt that before. These teams show zero passion (outside of a couple players). They're laughing and joking on the sideline while getting their ass kicked. We're dropping recruits like it's hot because who would want to come here? It's one big crap show on the field right now and I don't see enough pride from these players to do something about it....... so I don't put all the blame on Beaty and Company, but they darn sure aren't helping anything. It's time to get our stuff together and figure it out or get someone inhere that is at least able to get us going in the right direction. I'm sick and tired of the product I see on the field right now and that includes our players. Have some daggum pride when you strap on those pads and slip that jersey on!!

Chris DeWeese 1 week, 2 days ago

At this point, if the coaches can't motivate the players, then the players need to hold each other more accountable. I think Joe, Dorance, Daniel, Steven, and Carter need to be calling other players out left and right and making an example of them. They can't always be nice and polite.

Joe Baker 1 week, 2 days ago

I've had no idea after Mangino. We had your direction and we were encouraged until some idiot got a burr up his butt to fire the one coach was giving KU the best direction the program will ever experience.

We've had no real direction since Mangino.

John Brazelton 1 week, 2 days ago

We had high school QB from Texas who backed out of his commitment. I would like to see Starks playing a series or two in blow-out games, but for some reason it's not happening. Riley is the QB coach, so there's a reason why. With 20+ seniors next year, we need immediate help at QB, not someone one or two years down the road. Look at Denver with Peyton Manning at QB and now look at them this year with a team of inexperienced ones. I feel sorry for Harris and Atiba who are spinning their wheels this season. It all starts at QB and with an offensive line that producing.

John Fitzgerald 1 week, 2 days ago

Name a Transfer or JUCO Player that has worked out for us. Also, the QB that decommitted is solely on Beaty.

Edward Daub 1 week, 2 days ago

Fish Smithson was pretty good. In 2015, he led the NCAA in solo tackles (you can guess why). In 2016, he was 1st team all Big12. I believe he is on the Redskins practice squad.

As for QB's, we should recruit Todd Reesing's H.S. Lake Travis. Baylor's Charlie Brewer was Class 6A Player of the Year. Another pretty good QB from there is OU's Baker Mayfield (originally a walkon at Texas Tech)!

[''] 1 week, 2 days ago

PS - Riley bolts after this year to go coach with a waaayyy better coach, his brother at OU. Why would he stay around here with all the crazy QB crap with Beaty and Meach. A great talent scared away.

John Fitzgerald 1 week, 2 days ago

He was very good. But is that the only one that was worth a darn?

Edward Daub 1 week, 2 days ago

The Golden Gophers have also offered Victor a Schollie. They have a New Coach in "Western Michigan Wunderkind" P.J. Fleck! And Ed Warriner is also their OLine Coach.

I will be surprised if Victor selects the Jayhawks, but it is certainly feasible.

Time will tell whether Fleck is successful, similar to Campbell at ISU. There seems to be a common theme, Successful MAC Coaches (not Turner however) moving up!

Steve Corder 1 week, 2 days ago

Berry Tramel, a seasoned sports writer for the Oklahoman Newspaper in OKC, wrote an interesting piece basically saying Beaty must be given at least 2 more years. His reasons are interesting and more thoughtful and insightful than 90% of what is posted here. Unfortunately, I believe you must be an on-line subscriber to read all of Tramel's article.

Also, I was told by Oklahoma sources that the B12 coaches Tuesday teleconference occurred without one question asked of coach B (an awkward silence), and that the OKC sports talk on Wednesday was "all over it".

John Strayer 1 week, 2 days ago

Well of course other areas of the Big XII want Beaty to remain. It gives them another bye week effectively...or at least a chance to give deep roster players a chance at live game play.

Matthew Gaylor 1 week, 1 day ago

I read the article, and he barely gives any insights unless there's another article. He only says they lack scholarships, something that's been talked about the whole time.

Drew Matthews 1 week, 2 days ago

Well I'm not going to bash on this but at the same time it's not like we actually landed the guy. Beaty needs to be signing linemen left and right (we have plenty of QBs we just need to develop one). I say focus on getting depth in our secondary and line.

Jack Hoff 1 week, 2 days ago

If your QB sucks in the Big 12 then your team sucks. So far none of our options have worked. My not try something else?

Drew Matthews 1 week, 1 day ago

I agree with you. I just would like to see some linemen committiing too!

Jack Hoff 1 week, 2 days ago

I swear all you phony KU fans are just looking for things to gripe about everyday. We could get an article tomorrow sayin Beaty signed the number 1 recruit in the nation and y’all would find a reason to complain.

Len Shaffer 1 week, 1 day ago

You're right, Jack. Being upset at the steaming pile of crap that's put on the field every week this season (and no, I'm not referring to the players, just the team overall) makes us phony fans. The true fans never complain about anything.

I apologize to you on behalf of all of us phonies and promise to be Mary Sunshine from now on into eternity. Does that work for you?