Monday, November 6, 2017

Keegan

Tom Keegan: Facts contradict Sheahon Zenger’s faith in David Beaty

Kansas University chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little, left, shakes hands with new head football coach David Beaty, right, after an introductory press conference Monday, Dec. 8, 2014, at the Anderson Family Football Complex at KU in Lawrence, Kan. Beaty, the wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator at Texas A&M, was hired by KU Friday. At center is Sheahon Zenger, KU director of athletics.

If only third-year Kansas head football coach David Beaty had followed his own advice, he might have more fodder with which to state his case for keeping his job beyond this season.

His attempt to say he's not concerned about his job security on Monday's Big 12 football coaches conference call had more holes in it than KU's secondary on a bad day.

“When I came here, I said, 'You’re going to have to give me my contract to get things taken care of here,' because that’s how you build it,” Beaty said. “You build it with high school players that have been in your program for four to five years. And right now I look at our roster of scholarship guys who are playing, basically that are fourth- or fifth-year guys and there are eight of them. We have eight.”

He’s right that he inherited a tough, tough situation from Charlie Weis, who recruited far too many junior college and four-year transfers.

But the truth is Beaty has relied too heavily on them as well, and he won’t have enough fourth- and fifth-year players in the fourth and fifth years of his original contract as he could have, had he recruited with more discipline and patience.

Revealing whether a player is on scholarship or a walk-on does not fall under the umbrella of Freedom of Information laws, so Kansas Athletics is not required to divulge that information. It’s rare for a school to keep such information private, but Beaty has in some instances.

Anyway, I’m confident my numbers — which include only players given scholarships right off the bat, not after spending a year or two as a walk-on — are close. Linebacker Keith Loneker Jr., for example, spent one year as walk-on and therefore I won’t include him in a list of transfers from four-year schools. Loneker was a freshman All-American at Baker University. I’m not positive that Nebraska graduate transfer Zach Hannon is on scholarship either, so I won’t count him. I also believe that running back Deron Thompson came here as a walk-on, so he also is not counted as a transfer for the purpose of this examination of scholarships distribution.

By my calculations, Beaty has used 45 scholarships on high school players and 29 on transfers from either junior colleges or four-year schools.

Beaty has not practiced what he preached and still preaches.

Beaty’s 21 junior college transfers, listed in alphabetical order: D’Andre Banks, Bazie Bates IV, Peyton Bender, Antonio Cole, DeeIsaac Davis, Hasan Defense, Jacky Dezir, Deondre Ford, Isi Holani, J.J. Holmes, Kerr Johnson, Ke’aun Kinner, Octavius Matthews, Willie McCaleb, Marnez Ogletree, Jayson Rhodes, Stephan Robinson, Keyshaun Simmons, Brandon Stewart, Shakial Taylor and Andru Tovi.

And then there are the eight transfers from four-year schools, only one of whom has played a down this season: Charles Baldwin, Daylon Charlot, Denzell Evans, Corey King, LaQuvionte Gonzalez, Quincy Perdue, Marquis Roberts, Joshua Stanford.

Evans, who suffered a career-ending injury in the summer, was a productive special-teams player. Charlot has the potential to develop into a safety for KU after catching one pass for no gain. It's too early to predict how that will turn out, but he's a good enough athlete to make it work. Baldwin, the other Alabama transfer, hasn’t played a down. Roberts, when healthy, was a productive member of the defense in the 19 games in which he played, but Kansas went 0-19 in those games. Perdue never played and Stanford caught three passes. They didn’t stay long. Gonzalez was dismissed from the team in the offseason. King started at defensive tackle for an 0-12 team.

Athletic director Sheahon Zenger issued through department spokesman Jim Marchiony a statement in support of Beaty that in part read, “When we hired David we knew it was going to be a long process considering the roster numbers we were dealing with at the time.”

That’s the closest Zenger has come to saying he botched his first football hire, Charlie Weis. The problem with that is that Zenger knows full well that situation was created by Weis taking too many transfers and that Beaty has taken too many transfers as well. Not as many as Weis, but too many. So Beaty and Zenger both are guilty of either revisionist history or deep denial. Either way, not good.

Zenger also said of Beaty, “I have faith, as I did the day we hired him, that he will rebuild this program the right way.”

Translation: No way I get a third hire, so I might as well back my second hire.

That "faith" can’t be based on Beaty’s record, which is 3-30, including a 1-29 mark against FBS foes.

Zenger also said he knows “from experience that coaching continuity and upgrading facilities equal to our peers’ are critical to the building of a successful Power 5 program, which is what we all want.”

Coaching continuity? He fired Turner Gill after 24 games and Charlie Weis after 28. Firing hasn’t been Zenger’s problem. Both coaches deserved the heave-ho. It’s the hiring Zenger can’t seem to get right.

Dave Doeren, then head coach at Northern Illinois, wanted the job that went to Weis. He’s in his fifth season at North Carolina State and has a 6-3 record this year. Doeren will get the opportunity to coach in a fifth bowl game. He’s 3-1 so far in bowls.

After firing Weis, had Zenger hired someone along the lines of Willie Fritz (then at Georgia Southern, now at Tulane) or Troy Calhoun (Air Force), those proven head coaches could have brought the majority of their staffs with them, which would have supplied instant staff chemistry and continuity that has been lacking during the Weis and Beaty years.

In Beaty’s three seasons, he has had three offensive coordinators, three quarterback coaches, three wide receivers coaches, three defensive line coaches, two special-teams coordinators, two linebacker coaches and two running backs coaches.

Defensive coordinator Clint Bowen, Kenny Perry (cornerbacks) and Zach Yenser (offensive line) are the only holdovers from his first staff. A 33 percent retention rate in the third season does not meet the standards of the word "continuity."

Chancellor Douglas Girod, put in a sticky position by his predecessor when Bernadette Gray-Little extended Zenger on her way out the door of the mansion on Lilac Lane, will have the ultimate say on the futures of Zenger and Beaty. Efforts to reach Girod Monday through a university spokesman were unsuccessful.

Comments

Howell Johnson 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Why keep pouring it on, Tom. Your message was clear a long time ago.

Tom Keegan 2 weeks, 2 days ago

So just ignore new developments? Let them make statements unchallenged? No thanks. I'll keep reporting.

Frederick Heckel 2 weeks, 2 days ago

And you will keep your nose buried deep in Beaty and Zenger's asses.

Chris Bailey 2 weeks, 1 day ago

How about we just carry on and let the status quo continue and we lose another 50. Sound better?

Chad Dexter 2 weeks ago

Keep reporting, Tom. Someone needs to hold their feet to the fire.

Chris Spangenburg 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Until they do something - removing Zenger, so someone else can start immediately evaluating our football program - this kind of pressure should remain!

Dillon Davis 2 weeks, 1 day ago

What!? This is how you create change! You don't just post one tweet or one article and call it a day. How is that going to affect change? Surely you want a change at coach and AD, it's people like Tom who are persistent and maybe even a little ballsy who are going to help make that happen. Keep the bad press coming and Girod will be more and more pressured to make a change.

Drew Matthews 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Are you serious? Tom is one of the few media members laying out the facts and pointing to the obvious conclusion. The week in and week out performance of this program is unacceptable and I for one am glad he is saying it because the administration is not listening to the fan base.

Miles Nease 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Tom, You are doing the Lord’s work! Keep it up! It is inconceivable that Zenger and Beaty still have jobs.

John Fitzgerald 2 weeks, 2 days ago

We would trust the “process” if the “process” was followed. But as Tom points out, it wasn’t. If I’m Girod I call Dave Doeren right away, offer him $3.5 million a year and then ask him who he wants as an AD. He’s a Kansas guy and wanted the job before. If the money was right, and he had the right boss with a potential stadium renovation on the horizon, we could have a chance.

Jim Stauffer 2 weeks, 1 day ago

While we need solutions, this is a terrible idea, John. You don't let the FB Coach hire the AD. It works the other way around for obvious reasons,

John Fitzgerald 2 weeks, 1 day ago

All I'm saying is we do whatever we can to get a quality coach. It'll be harder for us than it was 5 years ago when Zenger hired Weis and had a few other candidates that were better qualified and interested. Now we're a little more desperate. And the HC wouldn't be hiring the AD, I'm just saying Girod should ask him what his suggestions would be. Good HC's tend to know good AD's. And to be honest, the odds of even getting Doeren, even if we offered 5 milliion a year, are slim to none. I at least take the chance. Because if it works you get a dang good coach who's a Kansas guy, and you save yourself time because you now have a coach that can start recruiting and you have a list of AD Candidates.

Dillon Davis 2 weeks, 1 day ago

God I'd love to have Dave right now...but you're right you are going to have to get creative with the offer. And he's gonna have a lot of guaranteed money in that contract which I would want to if I was the incoming coach.

Aaron Paisley 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Why would Doeren leave NCSU at this point for Kansas?

John Fitzgerald 2 weeks, 1 day ago

I didn't say he would, I said we would have a "chance" if we offered enough money. And for the record I don't think he would leave NC State. But I'd sure as heck give him a call with his ties to Kansas. It can't hurt.

Thomas Green 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Put me in the keep pouring it on camp! It’s our only hope! Not to mention this is just good journalism. Tom Keegan appears to have written this piece in response to Beaty and Zengers statements. If facts annoy some then so be it, but facts they are!

Jeremy Morris 2 weeks, 2 days ago

This section really hammers home a major problem:

In Beaty’s three seasons, he has had three defensive line coaches, three offensive coordinators, three quarterback coaches, three wide receivers coaches, three defensive line coaches, two special-teams coordinators, two linebacker coaches and two running backs coaches.

I must say, I can't see the OC being back next year (his choice) and the DC probably shouldn't be either. So, the steady decline into irrelevancy continues.

Keep it up, Tom.

Danny Delgadillo 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Never thought I would say this about Bowen but regardless how much he likes place, he should be the first to go IMO.

Chris Bailey 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Bowen should've never been hired as the DC in the first place. His love of Lawrence clouded the hiring process. Sure keep him on staff but he's no DC.

Jim Stauffer 2 weeks, 1 day ago

So according to you and Tom, Beaty has had 6 defensive line coaches.

Jeremy Morris 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Most of us can see it was a simple typo and move on, obviously you are a VERY CONCRETE thinker! :)

Matthew James Roberson 2 weeks, 2 days ago

How is reporting on comments from today “pouring it on”?

Tom, thank you for the time and effort you’ve put into your recent pieces. They’ve been well researched and fact-based. How that gets some riled is beyond me.

Please keep up the great work. Hopefully, Chancellor Girod will take notice.

2 weeks, 2 days ago

agreed jeremy. if anyone can read that sentence w a straight face and not Immediately realize ‘hc’db is in over his gd head, then ill have some of what They are smoking!

2 weeks, 2 days ago

Tom: obviously we have a ‘turrible, just Turrible’ fb team/program currently. but, is there any other fb team in the country w a 1-8 record ATS, which CLEARLY refutes any idealistic notion of us making any Semblance of ‘progress’? i mean, That ought to say it All, right??

Bart Alspaugh 2 weeks, 2 days ago

For the last twelve years one of my kids and I have attended the spring game and at least the home opener. This may not seem like much but it requires a five hour drive, one way, and usually an overnight stay. It tears me up to see what this program has become. Those with the power must make the necessary moves to change the direction of the program. We are one of the worse programs in all the FBS and it's a complete embarrassment. No one it the position to change that appears to acknowledge it. A representative from the Williams Fund called me the Monday after the Central Michigan game. I thought it was a joke at first. Though my donations in the past are a drop in the bucket compared to others I refuse to throw anymore money away. I can no longer support the complete inept leadership of the program. I have no doubt both the AD and HFC are decent people however, they are not qualified to lead this program. The fans and kids in the program deserve better!

Jeff Coffman 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Now we know as much as Beaty is over his head...Zenger is even further in the deep end of the pool.

Girod's seat needs to be warming if he doesn't make a change of one of these guys this week.

I'm hoping Girod has hired a search firm and is letting the guys hold their positions until they have worked out a deal. I can hope can't I.

Aaron Paisley 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Just stop with the Girod hot seat crap. Girod's job is to run the entire university, not just the athletics department. He's only been on the job a few weeks and has many different departments to familiarize himself with. Even if his plan is to let go of Zenger, he still needs to plan it out so that there's actually a plan in place instead of firing someone immediately without a plan in place.

Brett McCabe 2 weeks, 1 day ago

It's been more than a few weeks, he's had plenty of time to earn his salary. If you don't understand that athletics, specifically men's basketball and football, are two of the top-ten priorities of a modern-day chancellor, then you should probably stop it. It's his job, it's a priority, and if he can't get it done, he'll answer to it.

Aaron Paisley 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Or Girod could be allowed to his job which is to run the entire university, not just babysit the athletic department.

David Kelley-Wood 2 weeks, 2 days ago

David Beaty seems like a great guy. I'm sure I'd thoroughly enjoy having dinner and a beer with him. And, I wish him nothing but the very best in life.

However, he hasn't performed at the level required to justify being retained as KU's Head Football Coach. It's unfortunate, but the results very clearly speak for themselves.

And, I would hate to see the guy who hired him be the one who hires his replacement.

Jim Stauffer 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Well said, David. No venom. Just objective observation.

Dirk Medema 2 weeks, 2 days ago

TK - Wasn't Beaty's original contract under $1M/yr? Are there any other HCs paid that little? Any even close? Weren't the other coaches also paid proportionally? Maybe that's why Zenger is so hitched to this staff. He was the one creating the limited budget. It is actually a testament to Beaty's leadership that he was even able to get the coaches we've had.

That being said the list of non-HS players that were a total miss is disappointing. Not quite as bad much of a flame as last time but a miss nonetheless.

Brett McCabe 2 weeks, 2 days ago

First, thanks Tom for the research. It's enlightening.

I think one of the first and worst signs of a sinking ship is when the fact-spinning starts. Beaty saw a seven-game home schedule coming and thought that he could use it as a lunch pad by trying to speed up the process. Instead of owning up to the fact that it didn't work, he and Zenger are making up stories.

To summarize the Beaty era: 1-29 vs. FBS. 10th, 9th, 10th ranked recruiting classes. A lack of commitment to HS recruiting. More coaching changes than QB changes, which is saying a lot. A home loss to a winless JV team from Baylor. A home loss to a middle of the road MAC team, in his third season. A 21-yard offensive game, in his third season. Back-to-back shutouts, in his third season.

For once, instead of talking about how tough Beaty had it, I'd like for Girod or Zenger to point to any on-field progress that screams: have faith in this process. Please, show me the light.

Chris Condren 2 weeks, 2 days ago

There it is folks absolute documentation at the same shortsighted policies engaged in by the prior coach of been continued by Coach Beaty. the truth is we have not made any progress. The proof is what we have seen on the field.

Armen Kurdian 2 weeks, 1 day ago

I'm not watching or listening to the last three games. Never in 30 years have I made that kind of decision. Just a waste of time. Better things to do.

Chris Bailey 2 weeks, 1 day ago

I quit watching after TT. I just wait to see the embarrassment on the scoreboard.

Brian Skelly 2 weeks, 1 day ago

There's simply no defensible position to keep Beaty or Zenger at this point. None. I dont say that out of malice. I say that out of what's happened to football since they've both been here. Facts are troublesome things sometimes. But the facts dont lie here. Neither has done enough -- nearly enough -- to keep their positions.
Personally, I'd can Zenger first and then let the new AD hire whomever they are going to hire as football coach. Whatever. Neither should be employed by KU by the spring game next year.

Charlie Gaughn 2 weeks, 1 day ago

The most disgusting thing about the continued "quick fix" approach is that we landed yet another transfer QB that didn't pan out, but forgot to get a backup center in place! It's year 3 and one of the most important positions on the offense is one deep...?? I found all of the excuses about the injury to the center being the reason we got our brains beat in by Tech, ISU, and TCU, pathetic.

"Out Of Their League" clearly defines Zenger and Beaty. I don't mind a little OTJ training but we're trying to take these guys from clueless to Big 12 level. That could take a while.

Michael Leiker 2 weeks, 1 day ago

The LJW is going to bank on this story for a long time I think. Keep the pressure on them Keegan, even if no changes are made they need to feel the heat.

Layne Pierce 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Two parts to what Keegan said, 1) Beatty brought in too many jucos, when you know you want to fill out with high school players, 2) Even worse, the ones he brought in contributed virtually nothing.

Clearly, he did it for two reasons, 1) those positions were so empty that he felt like he had to, and 2) it always gets the fans excited when you bring in some exciting transers (fools gold).

The number of assistants unortunately relects the "sinking ship" mentality, which is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Keep telling the truth Mr. Keegan, as Harry Truman, said: "I don't give anybody hell, I just tell the truth, and they think its hell."

Rock Chalk

Andy Tweedy 2 weeks, 1 day ago

This article didn't depress me as much as others. At least I recognized most of the names Beaty has brought in from JUCOs and other 4 years. When I think of the Weiss years, it just makes me want to punch things!!! I didn't like the hire then and I like it less now. Why we didn't hire Dave Doeren has bother me since day 1. Wait...I take it back, Tom's mentioning of that now has me depressed. Maybe the shorter days will help (insert sarcastic emoji)!

John Brazelton 2 weeks, 1 day ago

I lived in Los Angeles for 14 years, how come I never saw Tom Keegan there working for the LA Times or one of the local 14 TV stations with all of his great football expertise? How come he chooses to live and work at a po-duck small town newspaper instead of the big time? Could it be that no other newspaper publisher will hire him? I also notice that it is the same 10-12 individuals who constantly post on his articles, so hopefully the 20,000 to 25,000 fans who come to KU games have a little more school loyalty than most posters. All Big 12 schools, except Texas, recruit JUCO players to make up shortfalls in their rosters. Yes, Beaty has probably recruited too many JUCOs, but three-year JUCOs are just as good as a high school recruit. The primary problem this season has been too many injuries to the wrong players at the wrong time during the season without quality, experienced #2s to fill their positions. It takes a while to dig yourself out of a hole. Next year, Beaty will have 20+ seniors and finally, 85 recruited scholarships. If he can't win next year, it would be time for a change in Head Coach.

John Fitzgerald 2 weeks, 1 day ago

What makes you the expert, JB? Living in LA for 14 years? I'm pretty confident no one here gives a damn where you lived. The fact is Tom IS a KU Sports Writer and you are not. Keep your tears on your tissues.

Waylon Cook 2 weeks, 1 day ago

telling me you lived in LA didn't make you an expert in anything but smog and big govt.

Chris Bailey 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Pretty sure you didn't see the approximate 10,000 fans at the Baylor game and the less than 30,000 for the KU/KSU game. No, people are tired of the pure $hit on the field. Stay in LA and start cheering for the Raiders, oh wait they moved away didn't they.

Brett McCabe 2 weeks, 1 day ago

John, I'm not sure I understand your continued cheap shots at Keegan. It makes you look small, pathetic and single-minded. Using your logic, if any of us aren't in the perceived top spots in the country in our profession, then we should just quit?

You are the only consistent poster in favor of Beaty and you have yet to post specific examples of positive progress. All you do is blame injuries, blame Weis, blame the fans and blame Keegan.

Bring something credible to the table if you want to defend Beaty.

Merrill Reese 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Please keep the heat coming Tom. How and why Zenger still has a job after last weekend is beyond believable. Being the laughing stock of the college football world, no fan support at games, and now losing support of the fan base totally. Coach Beaty seems to be a really nice guy and I really hoped that he would succeed, but I knew at the half time of the CMU game, we weren't any better than what I had seen the previous 2 seasons. The entire staff should go, but not until Zenger is gone. For gawd's sake, he cannot have anything to do with our next hire!! And do we really want him in charge of the stadium reno, if there will even be one with him in charge??

Robert Brock 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Zenger is a cancer on KU football. Get rid of him TODAY!

Barry Weiss 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way, but I get an uneasy feeling about making the argument that only "my guys" that "I recruited" are going to produce wins. It's as if you are calling all the other players dog meat. I just don't care for that line of defense to a horrid 1-29 record. It just seems a bit sketchy, like trying to hide who is going to be your starting QB on any given Saturday, as if that even matters with the state of this mess. Good grief.

Dave Coen 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Tom Keegan, I salute you! Please continue speaking truth to power. Whether its sports, politics, government, the military, the arts, etc., journalists who will hold people accountable are too few and far between. Thanks for being a good journalist.

Dave Coen

Steve Quatrocky 2 weeks, 1 day ago

You guys never learn, keep turning the head coach over every three years and the very deep hole gets even deeper. The hole was dug first by Lou's ill timed firing of Mangino costing a whole recruiting class, dug deeper by the Hail Mary attempt by Turner Gill to build the all Christian team, dug deeper by his firing costing another year in recruiting, and then out of desperation cratered even deeper by Weis who didn't even have a kicker one year, and then his firing bottomed out the hole by disrupting another recruiting class. That's at least a five year hole in terms of recruiting. We still dont have any depth or even a full roster of Big 12 talent because you cant recruit quality that fast, especially when recruits see our facilities versus other Big 12 schools, and you are forced to take some bodies just to fill the roster.

OK, lets say you fire Beaty, who you gonna get?? Take off the rose colored glasses, the KU job is known as a Career Ender at this point, its a low paying job where you are set up for failure, even if you make progress you will always be overshadowed by the Basketball Program, has no real Football tradition to promote, an inferior stadium by any standard, and plays in a Power Conference with teams that have all those things and a long pipeline of recruits with quality players 3 or 4 deep on roster phased thru each class year.

The program is dismal, embarrassing even, no argument there, just table the decision for two more years, give Beaty two more years to dig out of this hole, or at least far enough there is some talent left for the next guy. Otherwise, we will continue to be the laughing stock of the Big 12 with a new coach every three years. Three years is the timeframe for a new coach taking over a .500 level program just short of bowl eligible, it takes at least 5 for someone to stop the cycle we are in..

John Fitzgerald 2 weeks, 1 day ago

There has NEVER been a coach or AD in a power 5 conference within a 3 year time period with the above records allowed to keep their jobs. Any sane person can see that.

Merrill Reese 2 weeks, 1 day ago

"Three years is the timeframe for a new coach taking over a .500 level program just short of bowl eligible, it takes at least 5 for someone to stop the cycle we are in.."

Is there some policy written for this requirement?

Chris Bailey 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Keep hiring crap and that's what will happen. Or we can keep him and in 5 years you'll still be singing the same whinny tune. And BTW how's ISU looking year two of their coach?

Brett McCabe 2 weeks, 1 day ago

I just laugh at the: I'm so pathetic, I've got to stay with the mean sloppy chick I've been dating, just because no one else will date me.

It's ironic that the guys who act as if they are the real fans of KU football, actually think so little of it.

You can have a high-quality head coach, with most of his staff in tow, in Lawrence by Tuesday after the Saturday final game.

If you could cite three things that suggest Beaty would have us elevated in two years, you might be more credible. His senior class in two years will have been the 9th ranked recruiting class in the conference. His juniors will be the 10th-ranked. Are you suggesting that he's shown evidence of being able to turn lemons into lemonade? Where's the proof?

Randy Bombardier 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Recruiting always has been and always will be an excuse, for hiring, for not winning. Related, our facilities are behind which makes recruiting more difficult. You want to build a program? Start winning. Building the program the right way? What do you mean by that? Could you explain yourself? In my opinion, Keegan is just getting started. The hard questions are yet to come.

Why wasn't there a push after the orange bowl to upgrade facilities? That one just blows my.mind. we rested on our laurels quite literally. Now this i will say for our current AD , at least he's got brass ones when it comes to asking for money. He's done much for facilities and perhaps the best thing he could do is to admit some poor hiring decisions, can this staff and bring a proven winner with staff intact. If he does not i will be surpised if he weathers this storm. Perhaps as some have suggested if he is recussed from hiring again it would destroy his future as an AD. i think only firing his latest hire gives him a chance to have a future as an AD...somewhere.

Brad Watson 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Mr. Zenger and Coach Beaty are good people....but its a results business...so the time has come for change in both positions.....I personally think that the AD should be a former D1 coach ...and that the coach should have D! experience....those who have been paying attention know i like Gene Chizik because he is a salesman...tough minded and smart and he has tasted the wine that comes with winning a national title.....Rick Neuheisel ...I am also a big fan of ....because of his infectious enthusiasm and his ability to inspire the fan base...deep pocket alums and moms who want their kid playing for someone they can believe in...plus his salesmanship qualities...as far as an AD...someone who would work well with the new coach and Bill Self...I think Mack Brown should be given an interview....another great salesman....I think a Chizik - Brown partnership would be great....and i think Bill Self would be OK with that...or maybe Glen Mason as AD....just an opinion

George Johnston 2 weeks, 1 day ago

John Brazelton,

1) In your comments on Tom Keegan, you keep implying that anyone without big city journalistic experience cannot have worthwhile opinions. Which newspapers have you written for? Which TV stations have you broadcast sports for? How is your journalistic experience superior to that of Tom Keegan?

2) During the TCU game, one of the announcers for Fox Sports broke up laughing so hard, he couldn't talk. Does that announcer have the requisite experience to have an opinion?

3) You have also frequently asserted that it takes 5 or more years for a coach to turn a team around. What is your evidence? Over the last 50 years, of all the coaches hired to turn teams around, what percentage took more than 3 years to do so: 100%, 75%, 50%, 25%, or 0%?

4) Which year will Beaty teach the players to tackle?

5) Which year will Beaty teach the players to block?

6) Which year will Beaty teach the players to hold onto the ball?

Chris Bailey 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Ok I have a solution. We haven't won dick in 9 years. Here's the solution. Hire me! I'll take $375,000 with a $750,000 buyout. You can fire me anytime. I'll do my best! If I don't I won't fear for my job because the administration doesn't care anyway. Might as well at least save the university some money. Hell I'll pay my assistants more than I make! Maybe then we can a DC and OC that can run the their units.

Curt Wright 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Maybe he didn't stick completely to the script, but maybe it was necessary to protect some high school kids who had no business playing in the Big 12 when they first came out of high school. For example Adeniji starting at Left Tackle last year weighing 260, sure he is 290 to 295 this year, does anyone believe you can put on that kind of weight in 1 year and it all be good weight. We aren't going to get offensive or defensive lineman who are physically ready to play at a power 5 conference right out of high school. There is probably 10 or 20 of those kids in the country each year and they aren't coming to Kansas.

We start a true sophomore at left tackle, a juco transfer sophomore at left guard, a 3rd year sophomore who was a walk on at center, a redshirt freshman at right guard and a redshirt sophomore (McCulley) at right tackle, who actually missed all of last year due to injury after playing as a freshman because he had to. If you don't have an offensive line physically able to play at this level, you won't be successful. Maybe by next year you will be able to compete up front and then you can actually judge things.

We are not going to get any kids who are ready to play a full season right out of high school or if so, maybe 1 or 2 a year. Mike Lee had a very good year last year, but a 175 pound safety is going to be physically outmanned at times during a season. Until you get enough kids who have been in the system long enough to let their bodies mature, we are going to have to suffer. I believe Beaty is doing his best to protect some kids from playing before they are ready.

Brett McCabe 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Baylor just curb-stomped us with 40 of the their 44 two-deep being freshmen and sophomores. More creative excuses that just ignore the facts....

Curt Wright 2 weeks, 1 day ago

I don't know where you got those numbers but they are wrong. According to Baylor game statistics they started a 5th year senior, 2 - 4th year junior, 1- 3rd year sophomore and a true freshman on their offensive line. The true freshman rated in the top 50 in the country and 2nd best center, we aren't getting him. On defensive front 7, they start 2- 5yr seniors, 2-4th year juniors, 2-3rd year sophomores and 1 true freshman. Stick with the facts.

Brett McCabe 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Game day program. I counted them up myself. And their starting QB wasn't even on the two deep.

A 4th year junior is a junior. A 3rd year sophomore is a sophomore. A second-year freshman is a second-year freshman. The top-50 rated true freshman should be dismissed because we got out-recruited by a school that almost got the death penalty?

Try not spinning your facts. I'll admit, the game day program is not always accurate, heck watch the pre-game KU film and the starters aren't even often the same for KU as on the big-screen. But my facts and point are correct. The vast majority of their two-deep, as listed in the program, had FR or SO by their names. Their starting wasn't on the depth-chart and had never started a game before. The Baylor JV demolished us, on our field. Dispute that fact.

Matthew Gaylor 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Kinda hope Tom asks Beaty about things like this at his press conferences. I know he's asked a few questions, but kinda hope Tom presses even harder at future events

Brett McCabe 2 weeks, 1 day ago

What we really need is a press conference where Girod takes questions. And the public should be allowed to attend.

Bryson Stricker 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Trust the process. Getting mad every week is old and getting mad doesn't benefit anyone.

Brett McCabe 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Tell me why the process should be trusted?

Zenger's history in hiring successful coaches? Beaty's history of building programs? Beaty's history as a head coach, or as a successful coordinator? The encouraging results we see in recruiting? The encouraging results we see on the field? The instability in the coaching staff?

Give me the reasons why we should trust the leaders of this program and your process.

Bryson Stricker 2 weeks, 1 day ago

First off, not my process.

Second off, because what Beaty came here to do has not had the full opportunity to tenure. He has yet to lie to us besides his massive overestimate on their skill for this year.

Like I said the other day in my long thread. Beaty's original recruiting class was developed with no prior recruiting during the football season. Do you realize how hard that is? I'm not going to attack you personally so please don't attack me back, but I am 99% certain you and everyone else on this messaging board was not a highly touted HS Athlete. If a school hit me up at the end of my senior football and soccer season. They got put in the recycling bin because visits were mostly out of the picture and nobody wants a school that is jumping on your bandwagon. With all of this considered, we still got Steven Sims Jr, Carter Stanley, Chase Harrell, Jeremiah Booker oh and did I mention DORANCE ARMSTRONG. I don't think you realize how hard that is for any coach that isn't a name brand in CFB.

The last part to keep in mind in all of this. If we weren't run to st by not only Charlie Weis (Sheahon Zenger's hire) but also by Turner Gill and Lew Perkins for not allowing Jim Harbaugh to come. DO YOU REALIZE HOW FKIN STUPID THIS IS? WE NEVER SHOULD HAVE FALLEN IN THIS PIT IN THE FIRST PLACE. WE WOULDN'T LET THE DUDE COACH A F*ING BOWL GAME. ARE YOU SERIOUS?????????

David Beaty came in here having to play his initial recruiting class. In a dream world, everyone he originally got would have been able to redshirt like THEY NEEDED to, not wanted but NEEDED to. Thus meaning David Beaty's original recruiting class would be Redshirt sophomores who at any school that hadn't been run to s**t, wouldn't even be playing for the most part.

Bryson Stricker 2 weeks, 1 day ago

But the sad fact of the matter is. We are Kansas, a school that let basketball run its train for way too long and we let one lazy hire turn into what now has become two unsuccessful hires.

David Beaty is not going to turn Kansas into a powerhouse program. But he has rebuilt Kansas from the ground up and has done all the intangibles it takes to build a program. No other bottom feeder program is getting the attention of top 300 athletes and 4/5* kids from Louisiana. Do you not see the recruiting pictures kids post? OUR LOGO IS NEXT TO ALABAMA, LSU, FLORIDA, OLE MISS, ETC.. Do you realize how hard that is to come by?

I'm gonna exit this post with this. A majority of our roster that is playing shouldn't be but is absolutely forced to because we have nobody else to play. I refuse to believe that classes that were put together the correct way won't have valid success at Kansas and I hope we the fan base haven't completely given up on them by then.

Before you tell me I'm drinking Beaty's Kool-Aid or riding his D***. Go to a KU Football game, and if you have been all season. Look for the lightskin black dude that is running around in his row in section 5 screaming about this that or the other. I promise you that I am just as dissatisfied as you are, if not more. But I'm going to trust the process because Beaty is rebuilding this program the right way. Regardless of how well he can coach a football game.

Adam Engelbrecht 2 weeks, 1 day ago

lolololololol

Brett McCabe 2 weeks, 1 day ago

First off, I'm a season ticket holder, loudmouth.

So many words Bryson, and still, you say trust the process and can't even describe the process to trust.

Just more excuses in a 1.000 words or more. You aren't helping your cause because you act as if you have some sort of superior football knowledge. Beaty's 2nd recruiting class was 9th in the conference. That's for a guy hired specifically as a recruiting guru. That's a fail, and that will be his senior class in two years. And the pictures you are talking about, those are from the 10th-ranked recruiting class in the conference. And that's what I'm supposed to believe in? To get excited by?

Quit making excuses. This is a clown show run by millionaire clowns. Don't tell me how tough it is. It's been done before, multiple times. But it can't be done by the wrong guy, pursuing a process that you can't even define.

Bryson Stricker 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Since when does ranking of your recruiting class actually matter? Kansas State has bottomline recruiting classes and ISU is with us and is ranked right now. We have players right now that I will enjoy watching play on Sunday for a very long time that were "unranked or low star" prospects.

Bryson Stricker 2 weeks, 1 day ago

The process is letting him get players in that are young and can be redshirted for development. (Which this season was the first he could REALLY do that). These players are now able to incubate and develop naturally rather than being thrown in action and getting confidence destroyed and absolutely destroyed by their opponents.

Your argument is that he was hired as a recruiting guru. Last time I checked, we are 1-8 with two of the best recruits in LA touting our colors on their social media pages and verbal commitments. He is also getting pretty damn good young players who had offers from much better schools. When is the last time you thought a young player not on our OLine that David Beaty recruited wasn't good?

Our receivers are young and damn decent for their age and experience. Running Backs are young and damn decent. Dorance is really bad so I understand why you complain about our Dline, our MLB isn't one of the highest ranked guys in the country so I understand your complaint there.

Y'all are blind and ignorant to how hard it is to rebuild a program from absolutely nothing as a coach with little experience. I never stated once that David Beaty is the game manager we need but he has done more a lot of coaches would do in terms of rebuilding the culture. I can speak first hand on that.

Thanks for your time. Until the next post my friend.

Austin Lopez 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Hey Bud don't forget to mention both of those recruits are committed to Kansas because of Hall, If hall was to leave tomorrow and go else where kiss those recruits goodbye. Also, one of those recruits just recently post his top 10 schools, doesn't seem like a hard commit but more like a player that can be poached at any second.

Austin Lopez 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Damn! I got on the blog this afternoon and thought today was the day of the firing of the AD!