Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Former Journal-World sports editor Chuck Woodling dies at 76

Chuck Woodling, former Lawrence Journal-World sports editor.

Chuck Woodling, former Lawrence Journal-World sports editor.

Chuck Woodling, sports editor of the Journal-World for 37 years and a resident of Lawrence for 49 years, died Wednesday after battling the effects of acute myeloid leukemia for nearly four years.

Woodling, 76, is survived by his wife of 53 years, Carolyn, their two daughters, Carrie Dixon, of Franklin Lakes, N.J., and Gena Woodling, of Lawrence, and grandchildren.

Born and raised in Kansas City, Mo., Woodling received an associate of arts degree from Kansas City, Mo., Junior College, and a bachelor of journalism from University of Missouri in 1963.

photo

Chuck Woodling, former Lawrence Journal-World sports editor.

“I’ve lived in Lawrence for almost 50 years and no one ever lets me forget I went to MU, even though I spent just two years of my life there,” Woodling was fond of saying.

After graduating from Missouri, Woodling spent six months in the U.S. Army and then became a general assignment reporter for the Hutchinson News. Within the year, he had found his passion: sports writing.

Woodling left Hutch for the Lincoln (Neb.) Journal. After that, he found his permanent home, Lawrence.

Known for his sharp wit and ability to turn a phrase cleverly, Woodling became sports editor of the Journal-World in the fall of 1968 and held the title for 37 years. He continued to write for the Journal-World sports section for several more years.

Fond of traveling, Woodling visited all 50 state capitals, 24 on business trips. Columbia, S.C., was his 49th, Boise, Idaho, his 50th.

Comments

Ashwin Rao 2 weeks, 3 days ago

Sorry to hear of his demise! Thanks for being a part of the Jayhawk family for such a long time. Praying for him and his family! RIP, Chuck!

Bryce Landon 2 weeks, 3 days ago

Goodbye, Chuck. I have a copy of your greatest work: "Against All Odds: How Kansas Won The 1988 NCAA Basketball Championship" on my coffee table. You will be missed!

Dee Shaw 2 weeks, 3 days ago

Sorry to hear. Thoughts and prayers to the Woodling family.

Mike Morris 2 weeks, 3 days ago

I graduated KU in '95 and moved to Chicago in '96. I was always appreciative of Chuck's work in keeping me connected back home. The thing I found great about him was that if I ever had a question about what was going on with KU sports, I would drop him an e-mail and he would answer every time. Made me feel like he really cared about his readers. RIP, Chuck. You were one of the good ones.

Tim Orel 2 weeks, 2 days ago

I still have a column of his where he wrote about watching people at Clinton Dam's spillway. He described me and a friend to a "T" as we were fishing, so we knew he meant us, even though he never asked for names. I also very much enjoyed his writing. Peace be with you Chuck, and enjoy interviewing past KU and other sporting greats.

Ralph Gage 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Chuck was one of the first people I met when I joined the J-W newsroom. He preceded me by a year. He was a sincerely good person, a colleague and friend. His passing is a sad event. RIP, and peace and grace to Carolyn, Gena and Carrie and all the family.

Scott Oswalt 2 weeks, 2 days ago

What a great writer and local legend. RIP, Chuck.