Thursday, May 4, 2017

Former KU QB Montell Cozart transferring to Boise State

Kansas quarterback Montell Cozart (2) passes against Oklahoma during the first half of an NCAA college football game in Norman, Okla., Saturday, Oct.29, 2016.

Former Kansas quarterback Montell Cozart has found his next college football stop.

A starter for the Jayhawks at various points over the past four seasons, Cozart decided Thursday to transfer to Boise State, as first reported by The Idaho Statesman.

The longtime Jayhawk announced his transfer via Twitter Thursday afternoon, writing: "Grateful to announce today that I will be committing to Boise State University. It's a blessing to know God always has a plan."

Cozart, a 6-foot-2 QB from Kansas City, Mo., initially announced his intention to leave Kansas in February. He will graduate from KU this month and become eligible to play at Boise State immediately, as a graduate transfer.

A standout prep QB at Bishop Miege, at Kansas Cozart played in 27 games and started 18 during portions of four seasons (he was granted a medical redshirt following an abbreviated 2015 campaign).

A team captain, Cozart opened 2016 as KU’s starter, and rotated in and out of the lineup much of the year before watching the final three games from the sidelines.

Appearing in seven games of what proved to be his final season as a Jayhawk, Cozart completed 112 of 191 passes for a team-high 1,075 yards, to go with seven touchdowns and nine interceptions.

Cozart became the third Kansas QB to leave the program this offseason, joining another former starter from the 2016 season, Ryan Willis, and reserve Deondre Ford.

According to The Idaho Statesman, Cozart will be one of four quarterbacks competing at Boise State, and two of them are freshmen.

None by Montell Cozart

Comments

John Boyle 2 weeks, 5 days ago

He will definitely have a better offense around him so he has a much better chance for success. I wish him nothing but the best of luck going forward.

Now lets get the Jayhawk football program going so it is as attractive as Boise State. GO KU!

Michael Maris 2 weeks, 5 days ago

No matter what, Cozart's roots are still Kansas based. Being from greater KC area and a graduate of the University of Kansas. He will always be a Jayhawk.

Congratulations Montell. Hope you have a very successful year in Boise.

Robert Brock 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Is he going to participate in a sport there? Curling? Lacrosse?

Bill Kackley 2 weeks, 4 days ago

First, Robert Brock, I don't know you but from your post I feel you are an awful person. Montell gave everything he had to KU football and I have never met a finer young man. I will gladly call him a Jayhawk for life. Shame on you. I wish Montell every success at Boise St. and will watch any of their games I can if he becomes their starting QB.

Chris Bailey 2 weeks, 4 days ago

In Robert's defense he wasn't a very good QB. In your defense it was a rather mean spirited comment however, I would love to play QB but given my frame that wasn't in the cards so we can't all just play where we want because we want. Being athletic doesn't always translate to being a gamer either. In Montell's defense he should have been moved to either receiver or preferably DB his other position in high school. If he's competing for the starting job they must not be doing nearly as well as when Chris Peterson was there. I will be respectful but he wasn't a D1 level QB.

Chris Bailey 2 weeks, 4 days ago

I can only assume Boise has fallen on hard times if Montell is competing for the starting QB job. I had honestly thought he was move to a DII school or some other lower level school.

Michael Maris 2 weeks, 3 days ago

Rypien is a pretty solid QB. So, it will be a real challenge for Montell. Nonetheless, I wish Montell all of the sucess for him. And, he gets to experience a totally different state and cultural environment. So, that in and of itself, will be exciting for Montell. #ROCKCHALK.