Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Kansas, Arizona State announce home-and-home hoops series

Arizona State transfer Sam Cunliffe made his commitment to Kansas official on Thursday, Jan. 12, 2017.

Kansas and Arizona State will play a home and home men’s basketball series in 2017 and 2018, KU officials confirmed to the Journal-World on Wednesday.

The series, which will take place Dec. 10, 2017 in Allen Fieldhouse and Dec. 22, 2018 at Arizona State, was announced by both schools, KU on Twitter and ASU via its web site.

“We are excited about playing Kansas in each of the next two seasons,” ASU coach Bobby Hurley said on the site. "This home-and-home is the kind of series we want on our schedule. Getting great programs to visit Wells Fargo Arena is a high priority, and we appreciate Kansas and Coach (Bill) Self agreeing to what will be a very entertaining two-year match-up.”

KU transfer Sam Cunliffe, who joined the Jayhawks at the start of the second semester this season after spending the first part of his freshman season at Arizona State, will not be eligible to play in the first meeting because of transfer rules. Cunliffe will not join the Jayhawks in competition until the end of the first semester next season.

Despite his connection to ASU, a KU administrator told the Journal-World that the scheduling of the series after Cunliffe joined the Jayhawks was merely “a coincidence.”

“We have made it a priority to try and schedule the best programs in the nation,” said ASU’s Ray Anderson, Vice President of Athletics. “Having Kansas come to Tempe in December of 2018 will be an incredible experience for our fans. Kansas and Coach Bill Self have been among the best in college basketball. We look forward to visiting Allen Fieldhouse next year and then welcoming the Jayhawks and their fan base to Tempe in December of 2018.”

Kansas leads the all-time series with Arizona State, 5-4, with the last meeting a 108-76 Kansas win in the second round of the 2003 NCAA Tournament in Oklahoma City.

Kansas last played at Arizona State in the season opener in 1990, a 70-68 Arizona State victory. That was the lone Sun Devils’ victory in the series in the past six meetings.

Comments

Chandler Accipiter 3 years, 7 months ago

Sweet! I'm guessing the percentage of KU to ASU fans in Tempe will be at least 80-20. Rock Chalk AZ-Hawk!

Mike Kendall 3 years, 7 months ago

Always love to see the Jayhawks play out West. Good Luck, Hawks!

Kent Richardson 3 years, 7 months ago

Only non California Pac 12 teams can be scheduled home and home with KU I believe. At least this will get us some West coast exposure for recruiting.

Jacob Zutterman 3 years, 7 months ago

We had a Home and Home with USC a few years ago I believe

Bryce Landon 3 years, 7 months ago

That was before the libtards in California made it a crime for their teams to schedule games with schools from states who haven't caved in to the LGBT agenda.

Brett McCabe 3 years, 7 months ago

Smart thinking by the Californians. Their teams would need to take two showers after coming to this sh*t state.

Len Shaffer 3 years, 7 months ago

Much better to not take a stand against bigotry ...

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 7 months ago

I've got a problem when a small minority makes the majority conform to their demands.

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 7 months ago

So are minorities less important because there are less of them so their rights don't matter, or they are less important because they aren't like you?

How do their demands negatively effect you?

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 7 months ago

Not including Stanford. Only the Public Universities.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 7 months ago

"Despite his connection to ASU, a KU administrator told the Journal-World that the scheduling of the series after Cunliffe joined the Jayhawks was merely 'a coincidence.'"

And if you believe that, I have some beachfront property in western Kansas to sell you.

Matt Tait 3 years, 7 months ago

How many acres are we talking? I definitely believe it.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 7 months ago

Probably 12 acres. Why don't I give you my number and we do lunch to talk it over? ;)

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

Agreed Matt. Sam's from Kent WA. There's no remaining connection for him at ASU. We've scheduled games for players to have a chance to play in front of a home crowd, or to help a coach with KU ties, but none of that applies here. Purely coincidence.

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 7 months ago

I would find it hard to believe that it was anything other than a coincidence. Schools don't schedule games based on the destination of their transfer students. In the Bill Self era we've had series against USC, Cal, Oregon State, Arizona, Stanford... it's not like we just never schedule with PAC 12 schools. Plus we apparently were going to set this series up with Cal before they had to cancel due to some state legislation that was passed. So, it's not a surprise that we got ASU on the schedule.

Steve Zimmerman 3 years, 7 months ago

This is nothing but great news!! I'll be attending every game there!!

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 7 months ago

I'll be there too, Steve. My sister, who lives Gilbert, is as big a Jayhawk fan as I am. We attended the game at UNLV in December and had a great time. I would guess that the crowd in Las Vegas was about 60-40 in favor of Vegas, but we were certainly more vocal given the circumstances. My guess is that there won't be as many tickets available for KU fans in Tempe as there were in Las Vegas, as UNLV is in a major rebuilding program.

Am glad that the series is with ASU because if it was with U of A here in Tucson, we probably couldn't get a ticket without having to pay a "scalper."

Barry Weiss 3 years, 7 months ago

This is awesome news! Living in east Phoenix, its maybe 10 minute drive to ASU. Jayhawks are all over the Valley of the Sun!

Brian Skelly 3 years, 7 months ago

I've always felt that these are the kinds of games we should do more of. Roy used to do this all the time. Our non-conference games back then seemed to have more games against mid-tier teams in good conferences. Self seems to have taken more of the -- schedule the monster games (Kentucky, Duke, etc.), then have half a dozen cupcake games at home.

Im not being critical, I think either way is fine. I do know KU has to have 16-18 true home games to make the numbers work for the budget. And those small schools from weaker leagues arent in a position to ask for a home and home. Hell, really ASU isnt either. So I am glad Self's doing this.

We rarely have true road games anymore. They're either tournaments, special games at Sprint Center, or a other neutral site games against others. I just think a few more true road tests never hurt, thats all. Maybe Im wrong.

Damian Glaze 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm already in line at Wells Fargo Arena for tickets. Who's bringing the pizza?

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 7 months ago

This game was scheduled for Mitch Lightfoot. KU has a long history of scheduling appearances in the recruit's home town, as others have said.

Mitch will be a junior then and will likely be getting considerable playing time.

By the way, Steve Zimmerman, are you perhaps one of the two Zimmerman brothers who grew up in Topeka and with whom I played some high school golf when I was in high school at Salina? I remember a Steve and Stan Zimmerman combo.