Monday, June 5, 2017

KU freshman RB Dom Williams arrives ready to work

Incoming University of Kansas freshman Dom Williams, a four-star running back from Independence High, in Frisco, Texas, arrives at KU Sunday morning.

Before incoming freshman Dom Williams left Texas behind this past weekend to begin his college football career at the University of Kansas, the four-star running back had one last thing to do Saturday: snag his diploma at Independence High’s graduation ceremony.

Williams’ move-in day at KU was slated for the following morning, but the biggest name in head coach David Beaty’s 2017 recruiting class pulled off back-to-back days of monumental life moments with the help of his father, Damien, who drove through the night to get Dom to Lawrence.

“I’m usually asleep in the car, so it’s not that bad,” KU’s newest running back said in a phone interview with the Journal-World, ahead of the roughly seven-hour trek as a snoozing passenger.

Sure enough, Williams and other freshmen arrived at their new home Sunday, ready to get to work — not that Williams had been taking it easy since rushing for 1,922 yards and 28 touchdowns in his senior season at Independence.

While spending some of the past several months running relays and in the 200-meter dash for his prep track team, Williams said he also spent plenty of time with a trainer, trying to improve his football speed and route-running as a receiver, while also attacking the weight-lifting regimen KU sent to him.

“I’m just trying to get all-around faster, bigger, stronger and more versatile,” Williams said this past week, adding he’s currently at roughly 5-foot-9 and 193 pounds.

According to the freshman running back, he has put on about 10 pounds of muscle since the conclusion of his 2016 season, which he credits to the challenging weight program. Williams said the most difficult lifts for him were the snatch and clean, both new to his repertoire — “Which is also good, because it’s more explosive lifts,” he added.

The promising young back knew he had to show up at KU ready for new strength and conditioning coach Zac Woodfin’s workouts.

“We get right to it,” Williams said.

And he didn’t need anyone to remind him how important these offseason weeks to come will be for him and other true freshmen — such as his new roommate, Derby’s Kenyon Tabor — before preseason practices begin in August.

“It’s just about being responsible enough to know you can’t be fooling around after (high school) football season, just waiting ’til you get up there to start working out again,” Williams said. “It’s pretty much on us.”

Comments

John Fitzgerald 6 months, 1 week ago

This guy seems like the real deal. No doubt he'll get plenty of opportunities for playing time his freshman year. Also, I'm stoked for football season. Not sure how I'm gonna make it 90 days until game 1.

Brad Farha 6 months, 1 week ago

I'm with you, but for what it's worth 90 days doesn't seem so bad now. Feels like just yesterday I was lamenting that we still had 6 months to go before football season. I am pumped.

Mike Kendall 6 months, 1 week ago

Cheering on Kenyon Tabor because I am from Derby but after reading about Dom, gets me fired up. Rock Chalk!

Dirk Medema 6 months, 1 week ago

Not sure about plenty of opportunities at RB. With 2 returning plus Octavious and others there will be plenty of competition for carries. I'm hoping for the kid/transfer from Wichita; Deron(?).

Chris DeWeese 6 months, 1 week ago

Hopefully our older, stronger, more experienced OL will provide enough opportunities to showcase all of our RBs. We've got some real talent in the backfield, and I hope we don't have to endure lots of 1 or 2 yard stuffs. Dom has definitely bought in to the Jayhawk culture and seems so proud to be representing KU. I hope that rubs off on the other guys.

Kevin Robert Fest 6 months, 1 week ago

I've been impressed with Don Williams since he gave his commitment I believe in 2015 sometime and he stuck to it even when the team only won 2 games last year and zero games the year before he could have gone to any school looking at his recruitment list but he chose to stay with the Jayhawks and honor his integrity and his commitment to the program. I believe it won't be long before he is ahead of the rb group as far as talent. Hopefully the OL can be solid this year an LSU OLman is leaving the program hopefully KU can convince him to come to KU with the other LA players already here or committed.

Chris DeWeese 6 months, 1 week ago

Miles Emery added to the 2018 roster! The hits just keep on coming!

Skyler Owen 6 months, 1 week ago

I cannot believe there is not one article about Bob Stoops on this website....

Skyler Owen 6 months, 1 week ago

I just wonder how that effects our QB coach Garrett Riley is he going to leave the program to coach with his brother or what are some of things people are hearing? I understand its the middle of June I don't expect an article everyday but when shocking news that effects our conference is released on Wednesday its disappointing that I have to go to an SEC forum to get news and updates...