Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Beaty glad KU will have either Bender or Stanley as a backup QB

Kansas quarterback Carter Stanley (9) heaves a long pass from the Jayhawks' own end zone during the fourth quarter, Saturday, Nov. 26, 2016 at Bill Snyder Family Stadium.

Head coach David Beaty says he is in no hurry to name the Kansas football team’s starting quarterback for the quickly-approaching season. When that declaration comes, though, Beaty will be glad to have in a backup role whomever finishes second between junior transfer Peyton Bender and redshirt sophomore Carter Stanley in a backup role.

Sure, the Jayhawks need either Bender or Stanley to emerge as a clear No. 1. But in the violent game of football, a capable reserve can be just as critical as a surefire starter.

“The greatest thing about them right now is they’re both healthy," Beaty said this past week of Bender and Stanley

If his time working in the Big 12 has taught KU’s third-year coach anything, it’s the value in having more than one “quality” quarterback going into a season.

“If you look at the past, you’ve got to have two, because somebody is going to get hurt,” Beaty explained. “Almost every one of our teams in the conference has had to use more than one, because of injury. So being able to have two is big.”

photo

Kansas junior quarterback Peyton Bender throws during the spring game, on Saturday, April 15, at Memorial Stadium.

In 2016, Kansas used a pair of quarterbacks — Montell Cozart and Ryan Willis, both of whom transferred out of the program after the season — but that was a case of neither separating himself as a definitive starter. When Beaty expresses the value of a QB duo, it’s because he has empirical knowledge of how useful a second-stringer with some first-string skills can be.

In KU’s Big 12 opener at Texas Tech this past year, the Jayhawks weren’t able to gain a competitive advantage when the Red Raiders’ future first-round draft pick left the game due to injury.

“We played Kliff (Kingsbury, Tech’s coach) and those guys last year, and one of the best players I’ve ever played against in my life is Patrick Mahomes. And we knock him out and it turns out that’s the worst thing we could’ve done, because (Nic) Shimonek came in and just destroyed us,” Beaty said, referencing the 271 yards and four touchdowns worth of damage done by Tech’s No. 2 QB. “Just got the ball out quick and did a terrific job. We got to learn how good that guy was firsthand. Did a great job.”

Beaty long has praised Tech’s version of the Air Raid offense for a number of factors. The system’s overall effectiveness — regardless of personnel — is just one example. After KU scored only 20.2 points a game in 2016 (last in the Big 12), Beaty and new offensive coordinator Doug Meacham aim to get the Jayhawks as close as possible to Texas Tech’s level of production (43.7 points a game).

Kansas won’t have an NFL first-rounder such as Kansas City’s Mahomes lined up in shotgun this fall. Beaty just expects he will have more than one competent quarterback.

“In the league, you have to have a couple of them to be ready,” he said, “because it’s a physical league.”

Comments

John Brazelton 2 years ago

Don't forget about your third-stringer as well. You need another second-stringer ready if your #1 goes down to injury.

Randy Bombardier 2 years ago

Yep, i would also like to see more of starks. Hopefully no. 2 and 3 can get some quality reps.

John Fitzgerald 2 years ago

I'm silently rooting for Stanley, but if Bender shows promise and steps ahead of the pack I won't be mad. But given that Stanley has been in the system for two years, and even though we have a new OC, I still think that gives him a big advantage. He knows the players around him, he's beat a Big 12 team (Texas, even though they really sucked that game) and he hung with KSU on the road. I also think he gives us more of a dual threat than Bender and can escape the pocket when necessary. Either way, I just hope whoever wins the job is competent and can find a way to get it to our plethora of talented receivers.

Dillon Davis 2 years ago

I couldn't have said it better John. I feel the exact same way. I just hope that he picks with one and gives them a fair chance. Let them play out the entire game, no switching back and forth and let them gain control of the offense and be a leader. If there is injuries, or if it's a blowout, then that's different. But other than that, I want one guy to be the guy for the entire year.

Gerry Butler 2 years ago

Ya, it just sure seems like Starks just BAM nothing. Seems like he is not ever mentioned what so ever in the conversation anymore for the QB. I dunno I guess I was way off or something because seemed at the time when Starks first came Coach said and it was talked up like that THIS was exactly the dual threat type that he had been wanting at the position. - -so I guess my question would be has Starks stunk it up that badly that he is not even in the conversation any more? I know I'm not at the practices they've had earlier or conditioning, but seems like the kid hasn't really been given the chance - -ya I'm talking out my hat but man sure seems like he just disappeared - -you hear nothing about him anymore, situations like this is when you usually see a transfer coming on the horizon which I feel would be a shame with this kid - - - just me sayin

Titus Canby 2 years ago

Starks played some in the spring game, and he throws a really ugly ball. A few of his passes approached end-over-end. Until he learns how to throw, he's not a viable option.

Brock Wells 2 years ago

IMO Bender wins the job because of an inside source I talked with, take that with a grain of salt, who said that Bender can make all the throws and has a quick release/decision making that would negate the lack of mobility.

With that said, it will be interesting to see if he has the same moxy (spelling?) and toughness that Carter showed last year especially late against Texas and most the the game against the mild-kitties.

Chris DeWeese 2 years ago

I agree it will probably be Bender. I'm hoping the OL will be strong enough to give him ample time to get the ball to his receivers. Bender's moxie remains to be seen as he hasn't been challenged by a B12 defense yet. I'm hoping Stanley gets a chance as he started showing growth and confidence at the end of last season.

Brett McCabe 2 years ago

If you believe you already have your starter on your roster, you don't recruit a JUCO QB.

If you recruit a JUCO QB and he isn't your starter, then you wasted a scholarship on a team that is extremely limited on scholarships.

If Bender isn't our starter, the question of Beaty's understanding of the QB spot would persist.

John Fitzgerald 2 years ago

In my opinion the reasons for bringing in Bender are one, hopefully he can start right away or two, at least create some competition at the position which we don't really have without him. Either way I don't see it as a bad move by Beaty. Unless neither of them work out then we have an issue.