Tuesday, July 25, 2017

610 Sports Radio no longer carrying KU radio broadcasts

Kansas wide receivers LaQuvionte Gonzalez (1) and Steven Sims Jr. (11) are surrounded by fans during a postgame interview following the Jayhawks' 55-6 win over Rhode Island on Saturday, Sept. 3, 2016 at Memorial Stadium.

University of Kansas fans accustomed to listening to football and men’s basketball games on 610 Sports Radio will have to get used to finding the Jayhawks elsewhere on the radio, beginning this season.

The AM station, based in Kansas City, Mo., announced Tuesday its 18-year partnership with KU had come to an end.

“KU’s desire to be the primary focus of the radio station would have compromised our commitment to the extensive partnership we have with Major League Baseball in Kansas City,” a release from 610 read. “That wasn’t something we were willing to accommodate.”

While KU has yet to introduce any new station affiliation for live sports broadcasts, an announcement on the matter is expected on Wednesday, an athletics department official told the Journal-World.

KLWN in Lawrence will continue carrying live broadcasts of football and men’s basketball, as usual.

Comments

Chris Spangenburg 2 years ago

Actually, we left them and we'll be hearing about the 810 deal very soon. KU couldn't turn down what 810 offered ....

Gavin Fritton 2 years ago

Really? 810? Not calling you out and not calling you a liar, but 810 being owned by noted K-State homer Kevin Kietzman makes this really hard to accept. Again, if you know something, I'll accept it because I admit that I know nothing. But if we go to 810, we will always be treated like the little brother or, worse, the younger stepbrother. We won't get top billing. We won't get priority when it comes to being bumped.

If KU really left 610 because of a desire to be the primary focus of the radio station, it's hard to believe that we're getting that from 810 as long as Kietzman owns a part of 810 and and long as K-State exists.

If you have a source or something else you'd like to share, I would LOVE to know more.

Gavin Fritton 2 years ago

Well, you were right about KU going to 810. I haven't heard about K-State but I have to give you credit. Good catch.

Chris Spangenburg 2 years ago

KSU will not be on 810. We wouldn't negotiate if they had any notion of carrying ksu any longer either. KSU is out and I suspect they will now be agreeing to something with 610 very soon. Word is Zenger was a BOSS in negotiating the deal with 810.

Andy Godwin 2 years ago

Many people listen to the pre- and post-game while traveling to Lawrence for home games. For example the extensive coverage (1.5 hours before and 2 plus hours after) for basketball helps occupy the time to drive to and from the game. Furthermore, I enjoyed listening to Bob Davis call a game compared to the TV announcers, so yes some people still listen to the radio. Unfortunately, KLWN's signal is too weak once you get a few miles outside of Lawrence. Not sure how 810 would be an option since KSU and KU basketball and football games are frequently at the same time. I personally found that 610's coverage in the KC area of KU sports to be excellent. Hope KU can find another station with a strong signal that will dedicate as much airtime, not just on game day, to help alumni follow the teams.

Bryce Landon 2 years ago

810's signal isn't that great. But before I moved to Iowa, I could get 610's signal as far west as Topeka and sometimes as far east as Columbia. The day I moved to Iowa, I was able to get 610 as far north as Osceola.

Since I live in Iowa, I live-stream KU radio broadcasts from the player at the bottom of the Jayhawk Radio Network webpage:

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 2 years ago

Thanks for the link. I live in Florida now and just cut my cable service. I hope there's a way to stream video of the games over the internet!

Bryce Landon 2 years ago

For $20 a month, you can get ESPN and ESPN2 broadcasts of KU games on sling.com.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 2 years ago

Thanks. Can you do that just during bball & fball seasons?

Gavin Fritton 2 years ago

KU will almost certainly keep their deal with SiriusXM that they already have in place. But satellite radio will only provide carriage of their regular radio broadcast of the games.

Susie Rockhold 2 years ago

101.7 KLWN FM reaches from the west side of KC to just past Topeka. It's a simulcast of all the AM programming, including Jayhawk Sports with Brian Hanni, Rock Chalk Sports Talk, and Royals Baseball.

Susie Rockhold 2 years ago

also, 105.9KissFM carries all the Jayhawk Football and Basketball. That signal carries almost to the state line.

Tim Orel 2 years ago

AM760 in the Denver area started having KU's broadcasts - definitely BB and I think FB as well. I'm hopeful they continue that this year.

Katherine Schlem 2 years ago

Please please please tell 810 to boost their signal as they drop the signal strength by at least half after about 6 PM and we can't even get it in Olathe. It bleeds over onto several other channels and they static together and no one channel can be heard clearly. DO NOT make the deal without this reassurance that the signal can be heard for at least 100 miles in radius or else it's a bad deal for fans. I think many would prefer further. Make it a good deal, not a half-hazard deal.

Randy Bombardier 2 years ago

I have joined the all-acess service in the past. One year i think only one game was available because of tv rights. Don't understand all this but I'd pay just to get recorded games on discs. Hopefully, someday that service will be provided by the athletic dept. I too love listening to the games but would like to be able to watch them when i can. It makes no sense for me to get the ultimate cable service just for my ku games. I would rather just pay ku.