Monday, January 30, 2017

Report: KU basketball player Lagerald Vick investigated in 2015 on allegations that he struck female student

Kansas sophomore guard Lagerald Vick puts up a jumper prior to Tuesday's game against Long Beach State at Allen Fieldhouse.

University of Kansas men’s basketball player Lagerald Vick reportedly was the subject of a KU investigation into whether he hit a female student in 2015.

The Kansas City Star reports that it obtained information that KU’s Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access recommended that Vick be placed on two years of university probation related to allegations that he punched a female student in the arm more than once and kicked her in the face.

The Star, without citing sources, said it learned that the IOA conducted an investigation from late December 2015 to January 2016. The IOA offers its recommendations based on a preponderance of the evidence, which is a lesser standard than the beyond a reasonable doubt standard used in criminal cases. A check of court records indicates Vick has not been charged with a crime related to the alleged assault. It is unclear whether Vick has been placed on probation by KU officials.

Journal-World efforts to reach Vick’s accuser via email Monday night were unsuccessful. The Journal-World did reach a Texas man who identified himself as the father of the alleged victim in the reported assault. He declined to comment, and referred questions to a Texas-based attorney. Efforts to reach the attorney Monday night were unsuccessful.

Officials with Kansas Athletics and with the University of Kansas’ communications office largely declined to comment.

“Due to federal law and to protect the rights of all individuals involved, the university cannot confirm or deny IOA investigations,” Joe Monaco, director of strategic communications for KU said in a statement.

Vick, a sophomore from Memphis, has appeared in all 21 games for Kansas, starting five. He appeared in 19 games last season. If he ever was suspended by Kansas basketball coach Bill Self last season, it was not made public. Vick, 20, and Self were unavailable for comment Monday night.

A December report of a rape of a 16-year old female in the student housing complex that is home to the KU men’s basketball team and other male students remains under investigation by KU Police. No information has been released about a suspect in that case. Five KU basketball players were interviewed as witnesses in connection with the reported incident.

Comments

RJ King 2 years, 3 months ago

Sigh. This is taking longer than a NCAA investigation. I don't know the law or journalistic protocol - and I realize he's an athlete - but it seems unfair that he is named and the girl is not. Without any charges thus far, it doesn't seem right that Vick is named.

Henry Joseph Hofmeister 2 years, 3 months ago

I was thinking the same. This team is looking like a witch hunt. They seem pretty tame compared to J.R. knife fighting back in the day. Leave them out of the news. innocent until proven. Little kid reporters are the guilty ones of bad journalism.

Henry Joseph Hofmeister 2 years, 3 months ago

Either that or law just not telling the whole story and journalists running with it.

John Fitzgerald 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't remember this much controversy surrounding a KU basketball team...ever. The bad part is once these reports are out, regardless if any of the basketball players are guilty, they'll be seen as woman beaters, drug addicts, and rapists. Especially to Duke, Kentucky, and K State fans, who are literally some of the dumbest fans I've ever come across. I will say IF any of the players, regardless of who they are, were involved in drugs, hitting a woman or raping a woman they do not belong on this team. Self has ran a clean ship thus far and one bad year could ruin all of that.

Henry Joseph Hofmeister 2 years, 3 months ago

ljworld sports needs to kinda evaluate staff reports. The old reporters jobs depend on fans reading and supporting the game. It looks bad when this isn't immediately reported and addressed.

Bryce Landon 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm not old enough to remember it, but it seems the 1987-1988 team was riddled with controversy. Academic problems, suspensions, dismissals, conflicts with the coach. And we all know how that season ended.

Jim Stauffer 2 years, 3 months ago

Back to the rape I still do not understand why a rape that is alleged in December where the girl raped is said to know the rapist allows the rapist to still be free and unnamed.

What special circumstances could exist that I could rape a woman who knows me and tells the police she was raped by someone she knows and I could still go on with my everyday life for over 30 days?

Michael Bennett 2 years, 3 months ago

This is an easy one. Police don't make the decision on charges, the DA's office does. Police can make an arrest but can't file charges. Police won't make an arrest if there are 2 sides to the story. The girl was 16, that's the age of consent in KS, and the accused may be arguing consent. PD are not going to arrest the person if the evidence is circumstantial absent DA approval. They don't want to get sued for wrongful arrest should the case fall apart. Absent an arrest, there is no way to put the person in jail. As for names, police never publicize names in rape cases.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 3 months ago

The University should find the IOA leaker and fire that person immediately. This is a private student affair and no business of the general public. There are plenty of things that go on with every team/university/person that should remain private. We are not, nor should we, be privy to all the details. Unless a charge is filed or some extreme situation warrants greater attention...private is private.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree. I would add that if the victim wanted this to be public information then it would be. However, for all we know that leak might not be from the university. It could be from the victim. Maybe she has a copy of the letter of recommendation from the IOA and passed that along to reporters who agreed to keep her identity private.

The media is running wild with this report. With no charges filed, the university will have to comment on what evidence supported their recommendation of discipline. If it is only his word against her word, then there is no basis for the media to continue to smear Vick about this.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm not sure you're right on this Suzi. I posted below part of the Kansas statute on public information. I'm not a lawyer but I think the public (the press) does have the right to publish this information. As for the IOA, I'm not sure there is a legal recourse but that should be the end of his employment. But then, he would probably sue. Hopefully there is a clause in his contract that covers this very thing.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 3 months ago

Then follow the process of filing a FOIA request. I'm sure KU is like most organizations that do not allow an individual employee to arbitrary make that decision. Knowing a bit about some of the involved, I'm suspect there is some revenge factor going on in this case. The KC Star is a stooge.

Barry Weiss 2 years, 3 months ago

This matter is 2 years old and it appears the University took care of it. Time to move on.

Barry Weiss 2 years, 3 months ago

make up your mind, was it one year or 12 months or 14 months? Oh, you don't have any specific facts you say? Heck, Bragg was actually arrested and we have all seen how that case turned out. Like I said, move on. Try to learn from the past.

Phil Leister 2 years, 3 months ago

This is a report from the KC Star. Do they have an axe to grind? Why are they digging this up and reporting it (while not citing sources)?

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 3 months ago

I can see how a victim in a case like this would not want to go to police. If you go to the police it will become public and if it does, then you will undoubtedly face all kinds of public scrutiny from all kinds of people.

However, if the victim felt that it was very serious, I can't imagine them not taking legal action.

RJ King 2 years, 3 months ago

I would likely trust the truth to stand up to public scrutiny.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 3 months ago

Kansas past a statute that basically follows the Freedom of Information Act Passed by the Federal Government. Here is what I believe to be the pertinent information:

(10) Criminal investigation records, except as provided herein. The district court, in an action brought pursuant to K.S.A. 45-222, and amendments thereto, may order disclosure of such records, subject to such conditions as the court may impose, if the court finds that disclosure: (A) Is in the public interest; (B) would not interfere with any prospective law enforcement action, criminal investigation or prosecution; (C) would not reveal the identity of any confidential source or undercover agent; (D) would not reveal confidential investigative techniques or procedures not known to the general public; (E) would not endanger the life or physical safety of any person; and (F) would not reveal the name, address, phone number or any other information which specifically and individually identifies the victim of any sexual offense in article 35 of chapter 21 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated, prior to their repeal, or article 55 of chapter 21 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated, and amendments thereto. If a public record is discretionarily closed by a public agency pursuant to this subsection, the record custodian, upon request, shall provide a written citation to the specific provisions of paragraphs (A) through (F) that necessitate closure of that public record.

If the courts decide against allowing the information to be publicly disseminated then all you need to do is wait 70 years.

And as RJ stated "I would likely trust the truth to stand up to public scrutiny".

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

I hate to even think this but if this kind of alleged activity continues at KU, the NBA may start looking better and better to Bill Self.

I know, I know.....Coach Self has debunked that rumor many times. Still, if he gets into the Hall of Fame [most likely] and wins another NC [always a possibility]. and he either achieves that 13th and 14th conference title or the streak is broken, he just may look to the next level of challenges.

Someone please tell me that I am off in left field and this can't happen.

Justin Carlson 2 years, 3 months ago

Tony, I completely agree!! I was talking to my buddies, listening to post-game, weekly news conferences,,the outcome of the latest LV CB and McCarthy Hall stuff. Combine that with Tyler being a senior. The stress in his voice and body language. This maybe all this man can take. I hope we are both off are rockers but this amount of controversy has to way on him. I am not saying there is not stress and problems with an NBA team. All that is going on within the program, even though the only one that will probably criminal effect to players is CB.
Sadly he is probably weighing his options.

Tom Jones 2 years, 3 months ago

It absolutely CAN happen, but it probably won't. Self already makes a crapton of money, he genuinely enjoys teaching the game and he'll never be as popular anywhere as he is in Lawrence, Kansas.

Now, life is strange and things happen, but he's had some golden opportunities to jet and I don't believe that Tyler is the reason he hasn't.

Benz Junque 2 years, 3 months ago

Why, because the NBA has so many fewer players running afoul of the law? That's funny.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 3 months ago

Not saying that this is why he might consider jumping but in the NBA, the players are held completely responsible for their actions and even if it isn't fair, in college the coach is held responsible to at least some degree.

For example:

Louisville coach Rick Pitino is charged by the NCAA with "failure to monitor" his basketball program in connection with lurid allegations of university officials providing cash and prostitutes who performed striptease and sex acts for at least 17 basketball recruits in the university's student dormitory.

Brent Held 2 years, 3 months ago

Becoming a football school is sounding better and better #bowlbound2017

Bryce Landon 2 years, 3 months ago

Sigh...it's just one thing after another...

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 3 months ago

I can't really fault the media for digging in and investigating the KU basketball program in light of the police report from December 18th. They really should be doing their due diligence to see if there might be a systemic problem at KU. However, they really also need to do their due diligence verify information before reporting. The public is not good at distinguishing what's serious and what's minor based on a police report, especially if the media is reporting on everything as if it's capital murder. I'm not saying that that is what is happening, but suggesting that Vick kicked a woman in the face sounds very, very bad. We don't know what evidence supports that Vick kicked a woman in the face. She very well may be calling for a flagrant 2 when in actuality it was incidental contact. We just don't know what happened, and in this case I will err on the side of innocent until proven guilty.

Janet Olin 2 years, 3 months ago

I find it disturbing that the Star would print Laura Bauer and Jesse Newell's article about Vick as their lead sports story without citing sources. What is the point of blowing up an alleged incident from 2015 when no charges were filed? Slow day at the paper and nobody else to smear? Really, really poor.

Randy Glenn 2 years, 3 months ago

Too bad the presidential election is over....we would never hear about this crap!!

Mike Greer 2 years, 3 months ago

If I read the article correctly, this transpired in 2015 and was decided by IOA in January of 2016, and the University has already addressed the issue. How on earth is this NEWS?

Harlan Hobbs 2 years, 3 months ago

Right, Mike. I refer back to Suzi's comment. That says it all.

Humpy Helsel 2 years, 3 months ago

I could say so much, but I think I will stick to I hope Allen is packed and red hot Wednesday night with allowing us to forget about the world's troubles for a couple of hours focused on KU basketball.

Joe Ross 2 years, 3 months ago

There might be something like this already, but in light of the number of legal incidents involving student athletes both at Kansas and across the nation, University officials would do well to consider making mandatory a course/seminar/talk session(s) on personal decorum for all of Kansas' student athletes, with self-reporting of legal incidents/ law enforcement contact being a condition of continued scholarship eligibility.

DaNeille Dani Davis 2 years, 3 months ago

And the hits keep coming. This may be one of the best teams we've put on the floor but they will also be remembered as the team with a bunch of idiots that can't stay out of trouble. When are they going to learn that they represent the university and every stupid thing they do is scrutinized? Grow up guys!! Quit being little thugs.

RJ King 2 years, 3 months ago

What part of, "investigation into whether . . . " can you not understand? How about, " . . . has not been charged with a crime related to the alleged assault"?

No time to read the story in your rush to the soapbox?

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 3 months ago

Absolutely DuhNeille. I'm sure there will be an asterisk added after the season saying "good team but idiots and thugs".

Daniel Kennamore 2 years, 3 months ago

Apparently there are rumors that the woman in this incident is the exact same woman from the Bragg incident last month.

RJ King 2 years, 3 months ago

"The Journal-World did reach a Texas man who identified himself as the father of the alleged victim."

I thought Soofi's Dad lived in Overland Park.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 3 months ago

Soofi's mother lives in Texas. If she's remarried, then it could be a step-father.

Jay Scott 2 years, 3 months ago

Soofi's greatest hits. Available on Amazon, iTunes and Google Music.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 3 months ago

And the top comment on the countdown belongs to Jay.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Thanks, JS...now I get to clean my laptop after I sprayed it with a chocolate milkshake I was drinking when I read your text!!!!

Art Jefferson 2 years, 3 months ago

DaNeille, This team will not be remembered as "the team with a bunch of idiots that cant stay out of trouble," and why are you calling a young man who defended himself, and another who COULD turn out to be innocent, "thugs." No wonder CS and the University do there best to keep things in house. Some folks cant handle allegations,and speculation on your part, and jump to self righteous conclusions. I hope you remember them just as the rest of the Jayhawk Nation probably will: The team that tied UCLA's consecutive confrence champiomship streak. You may also remember them as a team that won a NC. ROCK CHALK FOREVER!

Art Jefferson 2 years, 3 months ago

Oops! I left out a (?) in my haste to finish typing and get back to work. Also forgot to mention that this team will also be remembered as the team that beat Tin-Kan-tucky on there own floor and Dooooook in the same year.

Bryce Landon 2 years, 3 months ago

Tin-Can-Tucky? Dude, don't strain yourself...

Dale Koch 2 years, 3 months ago

69 Incidental contact to the face. One could see how that could happen!!!

RJ King 2 years, 3 months ago

you're the reason comments get disabled from an article. grow up.

Brian Skelly 2 years, 3 months ago

While I have no idea how it works, I'd presume there are RAs at McCarthy Hall. Or not?

If the only folks there are BB players and a handful of other folks it's not unreasonable to think things could get outta hand. I remember plenty of insanity after midnight at Oliver and Naismith halls back in the day. And those were regular dorms with RAs and such in them.

I'd just be curious what thats like at McCarthy. Feel free to correct me as well folks, but wasnt McCarthy supposed to house the women's basketball team as well? Or am I totally mistaken?

Regardless, I think some knuckleheads are going to end up not being Jayhawks next season. Maybe even this one.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 3 months ago

They are considered private apartments so I doubt there are any RA's but maybe it's not a bad idea.

Tom Coats 2 years, 3 months ago

I never played sports in school. I am a loyal fan. Much is written and commented by coaches of violations of team rules.

Are there any written team rules for the KU men's basketball team?

For years I have bragged to others that KU has been scandal free, but now much is said about players suspended for team rule infractions.

Would like to see those rules?

I hope the current team members will be proven innocent of violations.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 3 months ago

There is a STUDENT-ATHLETES: CODE OF CONDUCT in the student–athlete handbook.

I'm sure each sports program will also have their own rules handed down by the coach.

Tim Hollingshead 2 years, 3 months ago

On one hand, we hate to see articles, and really issues like this, come up. On the other hand, I like the transparency. True, we can blame the Star, but so many problems are hidden and swept under the rug in programs these days. If some thing comes up, and can be dealt with, it will be better in the long run than trying to hide it. There is a certain integrity in this transparency that may prove to be beneficial in the long run. We'll see in time.