Originally published January 12, 2017 at 11:57a.m., updated January 12, 2017 at 12:53p.m.

Doug Meacham named KU football’s offensive coordinator

TCU co-offensive coordinator Doug Meacham talks to his players on the sideline in the second half of an NCAA college football game against Iowa State, Saturday, Sept. 17, 2016, in Fort Worth, Texas. TCU won 41-20.

David Beaty’s days of running the Kansas football team’s offense are over. The third-year head coach announced Thursday the hiring of offensive coordinator Doug Meacham, who joins the Jayhawks after working the past three seasons at another Big 12 program, TCU.

With the Horned Frogs, Meacham shared offensive coordinating duties with Sonny Cumbie. The offense will be all his at KU, and Meacham will coach wide receivers, as well.

"I am thrilled to be adding someone of the caliber of Doug Meacham to our staff," Beaty said in a release. "Doug is someone I have admired for quite some time for his creativity on the offensive side of the ball. I have had to go up against him several times and it was always a huge challenge because of his ability to direct an offense. I am incredibly thankful to have him on our staff moving forward.”

Podcast episode

Spodcasters

What David Beaty's hire of OC Doug Meacham says about Kansas football

Matt Tait and Benton Smith examine exactly what David Beaty's hire of offensive coordinator Doug Meacham says about and does for the Kansas football program.

Download podcast

In the weeks following the 2015 season, both Tulane and North Texas attempted to hire Meacham as head coach.

In each of his three seasons at TCU, the program’s offense ranked among the nation's best. Despite replacing a Heisman candidate in quarterback Trevone Boykin in 2016, the TCU offense averaged 31 points per game while ranking 29th nationally in total offense with 463.2 yards per game.

The Frogs finished 6-7 this past season, with a loss to Georgia in the Liberty Bowl. They dropped two of their final three regular-season games — a 31-6 loss to Oklahoma State and a 30-6 setback against Kansas State, both at home.

In 2015, for the second consecutive year, TCU set single-season school records in several major statistical categories. The Horned Frogs ranked third nationally in total offense (562.8 yards per game) and seventh in scoring (42.1 points per game).

In his first season at TCU, 2014, Meacham helped the Horned Frogs become the nation's most improved offense in total yards (+188.2 ypg) and scoring (+21.4 ppg). TCU's 21.4 points per game improvement broke the Big 12 record of 19.1 set by Oklahoma in 1999, and was the largest increase by any team since Northwestern improved 24 points between 1999-00

In that debut season at TCU, the Frogs ranked second in the nation in scoring (46.5 ppg) and tied for fifth in total offense (533.0 ypg). TCU set 26 school records for offense, winning both its first Big 12 championship and the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.

Before joining TCU, Meacham also worked as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Houston, in 2013. He also coordinated offenses at Samford (2002-04), Henderson State (1999-00), Jacksonville State (1997-99) and Georgia Military (1994-96).

Prior to his time at Houston, Meacham spent eight seasons (2005-12) as the tight ends/inside receivers coach at yet another Big 12 program, Oklahoma State. He was the Cowboys' passing-game coordinator in 2008 and 2009. Meacham was part of two of the most successful eras in Oklahoma State football history, first as a player (1984-87) and then during his time as an assistant.

Meacham coached 2012 first-team All-Big 12 receiver Josh Stewart, who had 101 catches for 1,210 yards and seven touchdowns. Stewart's 101 receptions were the fourth-most in school history and his 1,210 receiving yards trailed only Justin Blackmon (Jacksonville Jaguars) and Dez Bryant (Dallas Cowboys) on the all-time OSU list for sophomore wideouts.

Inside receiver Josh Cooper (Cleveland Browns) and tight end Brandon Pettigrew (Detroit Lions) were among other OSU standouts coached directly by Meacham.

During his playing days at Oklahoma State, Meacham was on teams that participated in four bowl games (1983 Bluebonnet, 1984 Gator, 1985 Gator and 1987 Sun). He was a three-year starter on the offensive line for the Cowboys, and had a string of 35 consecutive starts. During his Oklahoma State playing career, the Cowboys put together an overall record of 34-9.

Meacham earned all-Big Eight honors and was an honorable mention All-American as a senior. He was a captain of the 1987 Sun Bowl team that defeated West Virginia. Meacham blocked for both 1988 Heisman Trophy winner Barry Sanders and two-time Big Eight Player of the Year Thurman Thomas.

Comments

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 1 year, 11 months ago

Very nice. Coach Meacham is a solid hire. Experienced coach and recruiter.

Joe Ross 1 year, 11 months ago

Damn!

This is a double smart move.

Not only does Beaty get OUT of the business of calling plays, but he puts those decisions in the hands of a guy like this.

AND...

He is a guy with some name recognition in the state of Texas (presumably), which gives us added attractiveness with recruits there?

Micky Baker 1 year, 11 months ago

Particularly in the Dallas/Fort Worth metro

Joe Joseph 1 year, 11 months ago

This seems like an exceptional get! Like, a too-good-to-be-true get. Unless I'm missing something...?

Kevin Boone 1 year, 11 months ago

Wow, a great hire for KU! There is definitely some positive movement within the program.

Thomas Fawcett 1 year, 11 months ago

I've learned to curb my enthusiasm about Kansas football over the years, but this is a big-time get. The guy is a name coach in Texas and was up for several HC positions (North Texas, Tulane, even Baylor). Doubt he'll be around for long but excited to see what he and Bender can do together.

John Joseph Gorski 1 year, 11 months ago

Interesting, I didn't realize TCU ran a "Air Raid" offense. Can't wait to see the offense next season.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm not sure which thing impresses the most - the quality of the coach that we just hired, or the fact that we attracted a coach of this quality to the program.

First, welcome to Coach Meachum, and congratulations to Coach Beaty for orchestrating this hire. It makes sense on so many levels for KU, recruiting ties, familiarity with Big 12 defenses, etc.

Second, Meachum knows exactly who we are, and the fact that he passed up jobs as an HC but took this one suggests that he knows we can succeed. You don't take this job if you think it's going to kill your career. You take it because you think that in year three, you'll be considered for something even bigger. Of course, there is also the bonus that you never have to wear purple again.

This is huge news, especially as we go into the final weeks of recruiting. It could help us seal-the-deal on a couple of players. Just awesome news!

RCJHK!

Joe Ross 1 year, 11 months ago

I could have all sorts of cobwebs in my brain, but didnt Tom Keegan call this weeks ago? (Or at least offer it as a musing?)

Dillon Davis 1 year, 11 months ago

Tom Keegan has told us repeatedly that Beaty would be OC. Maybe he was being coy but I don't think so lol. Either way this is an exciting hire and a smart/altruistic move by Beaty. He put aside his pride and his control of the offense for the betterment of the team. Looking forward to 2017!!

Joe Ross 1 year, 11 months ago

I missed it, but wasnt "too" far off, I guess. I believe this is the article to which I had some recollection about...

Buck Bukaty 1 year, 11 months ago

GRAND SLAM!!!! That's what I'm talkin' about! Good move, HC Dude! We luv ya! At-a-boys all around!!!

Jack Joiner 1 year, 11 months ago

Fantastic move. Hard to believe we get such an experienced coach.

Michael Sillman 1 year, 11 months ago

Fantastic news. I wonder if Meacham became available because Patterson plans on cleaning house on the offensive side.

Joe Ross 1 year, 11 months ago

Who knows? Maybe now we get the win over TCU next year? ;)

Lucas Town 1 year, 11 months ago

Was TCU ok with Meacham leaving? Sometimes you can tell whether you are getting a great hire by the emotion of the prior school they were at. With Boykin TCU's offense was phenomenal, without Boykin no so much.

Gerry Butler 1 year, 11 months ago

I feel this is an Awsome hire,just HAVE to believe this will be nothing but a major boost for our recruiting in the key state of Texas, got to love it

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 11 months ago

I was just hoping we'd hire an OC. But to bring in an experienced and sought after OC from familiar foe TCU, I'm impressed.

New QB - check

New OC - check

Strong Recruiting Class - check

New Locker Rooms - check

A lot of returning starters and anticipated players (as in the Bama transfers) - check

I see a potential bowl game next year.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 11 months ago

As Mark Mangino once said, "I'd like to know what you're drinking or smoking and see if I can have some." A bowl game? Next year? Not a chance in hell. Not until we win a game away from Memorial Stadium, or more than one conference game a year, should we even begin to dream about a bowl game.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 11 months ago

Aren't you the same guy that calls for Bill Selfs firing every year? Hmm...

Micky Baker 1 year, 11 months ago

If the boys make as big of an improvement in 2017 as they did in 2016, KU could very well win 5 or 6 games next season.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 11 months ago

I share your optimism. There was a lot to look forward to with this team already, now there's much more. Exciting times for sure.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 11 months ago

So much will depend on the development of the DB's. Losing 5 could be catastrophic.

Hopefully, the new JC's blend in well, and a couple of the underclassmen step up after years of learning in the shadows. Most of the other pieces are there and coming back.

Still a long ways to go from 2 to 6 W's.

David A. Smith 1 year, 11 months ago

Wow! Perfect hire! The gloves are off...its going down! Do the math if you care....it will most likely add up to a minor bowl. Shore up the depth at LB. Everything else should be solid.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 11 months ago

Let's keep the words "bowl game" out our mouths for the time being. At 2-10 we have no business even dreaming about a bowl. When this team can finally win a game away from Memorial Stadium, maybe then we can hope for a bowl; but until then, it ain't happening.

David A. Smith 1 year, 11 months ago

Ok, late response but I'm curious- when we should have won 4 games, and with the improvements, what makes a minor bowl seem unreasonable? A position deficiency, a coaching defiency?

Dirk Medema 1 year, 11 months ago

We lost 5 DB's!

We only have 1 DB returning. He's a stud, but 1 DB is not going to stop an entire D, even if we have a couple of the best DL in the league.

Greg Ledom 1 year, 11 months ago

I know there has been a lot of criticism on Coach around the OC role, QB, play calling etc., etc., and some of it deservedly so. But this coach has done nothing but pull the right levers over and over and over again concerning all aspects of his program since he came on board. This was certainly another example of it. I've said multiple times; he's done mostly all the right things except get more W's. That was expected concerning the program he was given. Gents, the W's are coming!!! RCJH!! Nicely done coach!

Dirk Medema 1 year, 11 months ago

I think there was a lot going on behind the scenes with the former OC that we will never be aware of. There was a comment that the GA who took over at QBC had essentially been serving in that role during the season, and Coach Beatty was essentially a figure head to deflect criticism.

Actually huge props to Coach for not throwing the former OC under the bus. That's a lot of character, and explains a lot about why players and coaches want to come to a team with so few wins. I wouldn't be surprised to find some quality players coming onboard and using that blusher business.

Michael Maris 1 year, 11 months ago

So, now Coach Beaty is not looking so bad to all of the past negative posters on here.

I've been thrilled with Coach Beaty's hire. And, I really become more of a fan of Coach Beaty when I met him in June of 2015. He's learning on the fly.

And, his moves seem to be getting better each and every time.

Welcome Coach Meachum.

Michael Maris 1 year, 11 months ago

And, his moves seem to be getting better each and every time.

Welcome Coach Meacham.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 11 months ago

Learning on the fly? At $900K a year? You and Matt both give the guy a pretty wide birth for development as a coach. If you aren't ready to be a head coach, don't apply for the position.

It's a good day. Try not to spend it sticking your tongue out at KU fans.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 11 months ago

$900k is a lot of money - except when talking about coaches' salaries. At that price, he's like a 50% off clearance item/HC.

Valid comment about being a HC before you apply - except for the fact that we weren't a team either. Maybe half a team with the missing players and level of quality in general.

In that regard, they're rather quite a match.

And he just keeps recruiting, coaches even more than players. I can't wait to see how this class finishes out by September. Our starting LT was completely off the radar last June/July. He's making Coach Self proud with the summer gems he's pulling out of nowhere.

Michael Maris 1 year, 11 months ago

Brett,

I could say the same about you. You're constantly sticking your tongue out at Jayhawk fans who's thoughts and ideas oppose yours. So, you should take heed to your own advice about the tongue issue.

And, I'm a huge David Beaty fan. The guy has endured a lot and overcome a lot in his lifetime. I truly enjoy his positive passion and demeanor.

My original comment was meant to be positive. I'm sorry that you couldn't see that my message was meant to be a positive message. Some people do learn on the fly.

Michael Sillman 1 year, 11 months ago

Intesting that one of the alternatives to Beaty was basically let go by Ohio State and ended up at Minnesota as an OL coach.

I have to give a thumbs up to the AD for his choice as HC this time.

Michael Maris 1 year, 11 months ago

At some point and time, I could see Coach Warinner ending back at Kansas (if Coach Yenser takes another job in the future, not that I want him to).

Armen Kurdian 1 year, 11 months ago

Interesting he would leave TCU for us. Hopefully he'll take over play-calling for real.

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 11 months ago

Awesome news. I can believe with this defense and a greatly improved offense it is possible to go bowling. Solid hire it seems. I am optimistic once again. I still hold that if Carter Stanley had been the guy from the start of the season we may have had three more wins so it is no stretch to think of winning 6.games. This only improves that likelihood.