Monday, January 9, 2017

Jayhawks jump to No. 2 in latest AP Top 25

Baylor takes over No. 1 spot

Kansas guard Josh Jackson (11) chases down a ball after knocking it loose from Texas Tech guard Keenan Evans (12) during the first half, Saturday, Jan. 7, 2017 at Allen Fieldhouse.

The Big 12 can claim the top two college basketball teams in the nation this week, but Kansas remains looking up at one of its conference foes in the latest AP Top 25, released Monday.

Baylor (15-0 overall, 3-0 Big 12) took over the No. 1 ranking in the country for the first time in program history, following Villanova’s loss at Butler this past week, while the Jayhawks (14-1, 3-0), who haven’t lost since their season-opener against Indiana, moved up a spot, as well, to No. 2.

Baylor received 55 first-place votes to KU’s eight. Villanova and UCLA also received one apiece.

Villanova, now 15-1, moved to No. 3, while No. 4 UCLA and No. 5 Gonzaga give the rest of the top five a west-coast feel.

Kansas held the No. 3 ranking for five straight weeks before the shakeup at the top.

This week, the No. 1 Bears have a pair of serious road tests: playing at No. 10 West Virginia on Tuesday (6 p.m., ESPN 2), and at newly-ranked Kansas State on Saturday (3:30 p.m., ESPNU).

No. 2 KU, meanwhile, travels to Oklahoma on Tuesday (8 p.m., ESPN 2), before returning to Allen Fieldhouse Saturday to face Oklahoma State (1 p.m., ESPN 2).

The Big 12 added a fourth team to the AP Top 25 this week, with Kansas State joining in, tied for 25th.

There are nine games this week between ranked teams. In addition to Baylor at West Virginia, the other game between top-10 teams is No. 7 Duke at No. 9 Florida State, on Tuesday.

The Atlantic Coast Conference leads the way with six ranked teams, while the Big 12, Big East and Pac-12 have four each.

The Big 12 is the only conference to have four different programs ranked No. 1 since 2010 — Kansas, Baylor, Oklahoma and Texas.

AP TOP 25 (Jan. 9, 2017)

No. 21 - Saint Mary’s

No. 22 - Cincinnati

No. 23 - Florida

No. 24 - Minnesota

tie-No. 25 - USC

tie-No. 25 - Kansas State

Comments

Suzi Marshall 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Congrats to BU becoming #1 in basketball for the first time ever in school history. It's great to see the two top teams being from the Big 12, which Kenpom ranks as the #1 Conference, ahead of the ACC.

BU has a tough week to hold that spot with away games at WVA and then at KSU. If by some miracle they win both games this week, then then need to play at TCU the following week at at Kansas the week after. If they lose KU goest to number 1...if we win out this week at OU and home to OSU. Kansas would have to win at ISU and hold serve at home vs WVA for BU enters AFH on Feb. 1 to face number 1 Kansas.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I agree. Nice to see the Big 12 in the top two spots with WVA and KSU also represented in the poll.

Joe Ross 1 month, 2 weeks ago

It's a feather in the cap to Baylor, for sure. They've played some tough games and won. So I think they kind of pass the eye test on paper, but my intuition says that if they played 'Nova or Kentucky or a handful of other teams they'd lose. The ranking system is kind of strange, because voting from week to week, when a team loses counts disproportionately toward the ranking. I'm not taking anything away from Baylor at all. They've played a great non-conference schedule. Just something about Drew and the pattern of Baylor implosions gives me pause...

Jay Scott 1 month, 2 weeks ago

"they kind of pass the eye test on paper".... A hilarious mixed metaphor.....Eye test means how they look when you watch them. On paper means how they stack up statistically etc. ...Yogi Berra level stuff there.

Perhaps some misquoted scripture or misapplied Doobie Brothers lyrics to support that?

David Morrison 1 month, 2 weeks ago

You are thinking way too far ahead Suzi. Just relax and enjoy the ride. Being ranked #1 is meaningless at this point in the season. No team is going to go undefeated this year. The Big XII winner will probably have at least 3 or 4 losses. So will the winner of other conferences. So the "if this" and "if that" happens scenario, although thought provoking, is a waste of time and energy. One game at a time. As long as the hawks hold home court and win more than half of their games on the road, they will be right at the top in both the Big XII and the national rankings. Where they are when the tourney starts is most important.

Suzi Marshall 1 month, 2 weeks ago

....yea I've been telling myself that every year since the 1970s! Always have found it interesting that for a school with 'only' 5 National Championships in well over 100 years, expectations/hopes are always sky high for KU fans.

Mike Greer 1 month, 2 weeks ago

And here are the reasons why expectations are always so high, we are always in the hunt: "Kansas has the longest current streak of consecutive NCAA tournament appearances (27),[6] the longest current streak of consecutive NCAA winning seasons (33), the most winning seasons in Division I history (97), the most non-losing seasons (.500 or better) in NCAA history (100), the most conference championships in Division I history (59), the most First Team All Americans in Division I history (21), and the most First Team All American Selections in Division I history (28). The program ranks third in Division I all-time winning percentage (.724) and second in Division I all-time wins (2,200).

Going back to the Larry Brown years, I believe Kansas has missed one NCAA tournament, go back to Ted Owens and it's still only a few missed tournaments. That's a long time of always being in the hunt for a NC. As the carnival barker says, "You can't win if you don't play . . ."

Tony Bandle 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Take away that bogus 88-89 NCAA penalty year and our streak would be an unapproachable 32 seasons in a row and counting.

Harlan Hobbs 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Nice summary, Mike, and excellent observation, Tony.

Waylon Cook 1 month, 2 weeks ago

number 1 team will go 0-2 in the two hillbilly havens this week...

Suzi Marshall 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Morgantown is a great place to be a hillbilly with the Blue Ridge Mountains, Snowshoe sky resort and great golf courses.

Almost heaven, West Virginia

Blue Ridge Mountains

Shenandoah River,

Life is old there

Older than the trees

Younger than the mountains

Blowin' like the breeze.

Country roads, take me home

To the place I belong

West Virginia, mountain momma

Take me home, country roads.

All my memories gathered 'round her

Miner's lady, stranger to blue water

Dark and dusty, painted on the sky

Misty taste of moonshine

Teardrops in my eye

Country roads, take me home

To the place I belong

West Virginia, mountain momma

Take me home, country roads

I hear her voice

In the mornin' hour she calls me

The radio reminds me of my home far away

And drivin' down the road I get a feelin'

That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday

RJ King 1 month, 2 weeks ago

nice Suzi, but something tells me Waylon only knows john denver from the muppets christmas specials.

Kent Richardson 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Nova lost at the end despite making their last 4 FT's. Butler made their last 8.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I know we're hot on the trail of Trae Young but are we still in the mix for Trevon Duval?

Caden Ford 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I hope so Karen! Trae would be an excellent get for next season!

Marius Rowlanski 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I'd say a zero percent chance at landing both. Even if graham leaves, there will be three new guards playing next year,

Kent Richardson 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Yes we are according to the sites I have been following.

Humpy Helsel 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Trae will probably be at the game tomorrow night in Norman assuming he isn't playing a game that night. If he is there, wonder where he sits? I don't know if we are #2, and I dang sure question if Baylor is a legit #1. No matter. Enjoy the moment and the national attention for the league. We aren't going to win out in the Big XII, regardless. Every night in the league is going to be a dog fight. Our margin of error is so small with our lack depth on inside, no rim protector, spotty "rugged defense," and because of the fact we depend so much on the 3-ball. I noticed Texas Tech sagged on Josh, also. He is going to have to take and hit some 3's to earn some respect. I just hope he doesn't take them late in a tight game. It is by far the weakest part of his game.

Steve Jacob 1 month, 2 weeks ago

59th school rated #1. I don't think anyone could win @WV and @KSU in a single week. Get a split and be happy with it.

Scott Smetana 1 month, 2 weeks ago

What's the over/under on Baylor's lowest ranking after Scott Drew leads them on their annual mid-season slump? I predict they lose 4 of their next 6.

Bob Bowles 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I've never thought much of Scott Drew after the year he took his players out to the hallway while the pre-introduction video was being shown prior to introducing the KU players.

I believe he later issued a lame apology but I still thought it was disrespectful not only to KU but the game in general.

Mallory Briggans 1 month, 2 weeks ago

With this recent cold snap .Coach Self was rumored to have thanked coach Drew and the Baylor basketball team for keeping the seats warm for the Jayhawk basketball team this week They should be nice and warm when we take over the top spot next week

Henry Hofmeister 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I hate baylor colors. It gives me a headache. But whoa, if anyone can beat us it is them. They are big, they play smart. I think they play a lot of set plays whereas we are quick to innovate on the fly with the longest together, best backcourt in my memory. We will have to break them in transition and tire them running.