Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Notebook: Lucas emerges as ‘most consistent’ player; Jackson earns another technical

Kansas forward Landen Lucas (33) finishes a dunk against Kansas State late in the second half, Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2017 at Allen Fieldhouse.

If it was not already evident from his 15-point, 17-rebound effort last Friday in a road win over TCU, Kansas senior Landen Lucas buttered his own bread and made it obvious during Tuesday’s 90-88 victory over Kansas State.

Lucas is back. And his career-high 18 points and 12 rebounds (6 offensive) against the Wildcats on Tuesday certainly proved that.

“Landen has kind of emerged as our most consistent player,” KU coach Bill Self said after Tuesday’s thriller. “I thought he played really well and was a presence. He scored inside tight (and) he’s kind of on a roll, not doing anything exceptional but certainly finishing a lot better.”

Lucas said the recipe for his recent offensive production — 33 points on 15-of-19 shooting in the past two outings — had absolutely nothing to do with worrying about his offense.

“It felt good,” Lucas said. “Another step forward. Making progress each and every game. Coming off the TCU game, I wanted to make sure I came out and rebounded again, and when I focus on that, there’s so much attention on our guards and they’re so good that it’s easy to score off of them, so I was able to take advantage of that and score some points tonight, too.”

Jackson technical

For the second game in a row and third time this season, KU freshman Josh Jackson was hit with a technical foul for protesting an official’s call.

Asked after the game what he did to earn the 'T,' Jackson spelled it out.

“I don’t really know,” he said. “All I said was, ‘That’s a foul,’ and next thing I know I was hit with a technical.”

Although Self said he did not think that Jackson deserved either of his most recent technicals, he also acknowledged that it’s up to Jackson to keep the officials from T’ing him up.

“Surely he’s going to learn; he’s got to learn,” Self said. “He’s too good of player. And, you know, he’s developed a reputation now that he’s gotta get the last word.

“His last two technicals, I don’t think he deserved either one at all. But I do think you can’t say, ‘Call a foul.’ If you gave a technical to everybody that said, ‘Call a foul,’ you’d have 20 technicals a game. But, still, he can’t say that. He’s got a reputation of saying things and he’s gotta be able to think next play as opposed to trying to win a battle that’s not winnable.”

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self talks 90-88 victory over K-State, disappointment with defense

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self discussed the Jayhawks' 90-88 victory over Kansas State on Tuesday, Landen Lucas becoming more consistent and his disappointment with his team's defense.

Download podcast

Udoka update

KU freshman Udoka Azubuike, who suffered a season-ending wrist injury prior to KU’s win at UNLV, was not on the bench for Tuesday’s win over K-State because he was preparing for an early-morning surgery on the wrist today.

Scooter’s back

Scott “Scooter” Ward, KU’s associate athletic director for academic and career counseling, was back in Allen Fieldhouse on Tuesday night for the first time since a scary and serious heart condition left him fighting for his life at University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City.

Seated behind the north baseline near the KU bench, Ward was greeted by hugs and smiles throughout the night and received a standing ovation from the Allen Fieldhouse crowd after being introduced by the public address announcer during a timeout in the second half.

Lucas Player of the Week

Lucas on Tuesday became the third Jayhawk this season to earn Big 12 Player of the Week honors for his 15-point, 17-rebound effort in KU’s victory over TCU last Friday in Fort Worth, Texas.

Lucas joins Frank Mason III and Jackson in earning the weekly honor. It marks the second season in a row that the Jayhawks had three different players earn conference player of the week nods.

This and that...

KU now leads the all-time series with Kansas State, 192-93. The Jayhawks are 47-18 all-time against KSU inside Allen Fieldhouse, including a stretch of 10 consecutive victories.... Speaking of consecutive wins, KU’s homecourt winning streak now sits at 50 in a row overall and 47 straight at Allen Fieldhouse.... KU is 36-5 all-time against K-State in Big 12 play.... KU’s victory was win No. 2,199 all-time — second only to Kentucky — giving the Jayhawks an all-time record of 2,199-837, good for a .724 winning percentage.... Mason started his 88th consecutive game and now leads the Big 12 with a 19.8 points per game average following his 15-point effort.... Junior Devonte’ Graham passed Tyshawn Taylor for 19th place on KU’s all-time 3-point shooting list with 123 career treys.

By the Numbers: Kansas 90, Kansas State 88.

By the Numbers: Kansas 90, Kansas State 88.

— See what people were saying about the game during KUsports.com's live coverage.

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Kansas State

Comments

Garry Wright 9 months, 2 weeks ago

"Mason started his 88th consecutive game and saw his Big 12-leading scoring average increase to 19.8 points per game with his 15-point effort."

I'm puzzled how Mason's 19.8 scoring average increased with a 15 point effort. I know math fairly well and don't see how scoring less than your average can increase your average. Just wondering.

Matt Tait 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Yeah. It's not the case. Increased was what it said in the team notes and up against a deadline I was just hustling to get done. It's fixed now. Thanks!

Dale Rogers 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I was going to say the same thing and ask that someone explain that to me. The statement makes no mathematical sense at all. Is it simply an oops?

Dale Rogers 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Matt, I brought this article up on my browser an hour or so ago so when I wrote the above your reply wasn't yet showing here and didn't until it refreshed after my post. Sorry and thanks for the reply.

Steve Zimmerman 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Welcome back, Lucas! We look forward watching you with doubles every game. Keep it up! Udoka, good luck on the surgery! We can't wait to see you back on the court!!

Michael Sillman 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Exactly how does a 15 point game "increase" Mason's Big 12 scoring average to 19.8? Is that the new math at work?😉

Patrick Pritchard 9 months, 2 weeks ago

It's very obvious this game should have gone into overtime. The man traveled and for Self to say he didn't see it is baloney!

Micky Baker 9 months, 2 weeks ago

What is also obvious is that K-State should have stopped the ball out further. That is not the play that decided the game, unless none of the others counted in the record book.

Stephen Burtin 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I agree that he traveled and we should have seen OT, however, KSU traveled twice in one possession, neither of which were called, and the second travel resulted in a layup. The way I see it, calls even out over the game. They got away with their travel early which put us in a bad spot late. Then, we get gifted a terrible no-call to even things out.

I know officiating isn't supposed to be fair, just accurate, but the calls by the refs always seem to even out over the course of the night. Jackson should not have gotten a T, KSU should have been called for either of their travels, and boom, KU wins by 5 or 6 in regulation and no last second shot is even necessary, but that's not how it worked out. The refs were terrible all night and no one should be surprised that the game ended on a missed/bad call.

Damian Glaze 9 months, 2 weeks ago

If Jackson deserved that T, then KState deserved about four other Technicals with the theatrics they put on after fouls. Even Weber was over the top on a few of the foul calls they had. I don't think I have ever seen a team get away with more hacking down on the ball as I did last night. The officiating left a lot to be desired.

Dale Rogers 9 months, 2 weeks ago

All Self said was he didn't see it when it happened and had not yet watched tape. He also said lots of people told him about the travel. He was not denying that it happened.

Marius Rowlanski 9 months, 2 weeks ago

No problem as long as we go back and review all the other calls and non-calls during the game.

Micky Baker 9 months, 2 weeks ago

If Jackson got a T, Johnson should have gotten more than one for his complaining. Just saying.

David Robinett 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Not sure the University of Kansas Hospital is in Missouri…

Ken Schmidt 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Yeah, I saw that too. Hypothetically, if it were, could it still be called the University of Kansas Hospital and furthermore, would we want it?

Matt Tait 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Second time I've done that. Not sure why it seems that way in my mind. I'll figure out a way to commit it to memory the right way. My bad!

Jay Scott 9 months, 2 weeks ago

You could putt a golf ball down Olathe Blvd into Missouri from KU Med Ctr....

Harlan Hobbs 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Good work, Matt. We all make mistakes, but yours are always available for public view, so it's no big deal.

Coach Self hit the mark about Josh and his technical. Clearly, Josh's comment would not have normally gotten a "T", but he now has a reputation, and the refs aren't going to cut him any slack. Certainly, if his comment deserved a "T", then there were several instances of KSU players showing demonstrable displeasure with calls without getting a "T".

The one to emulate in this situation is Frank Mason. He was called for a foul in the second half that he clearly disagreed with, and probably rightfully so. However, while the KSU player was going to the foul line, the TV camera showed Frank simply talking to the referee in a non-controversial way and asked what he had done. The referee appeared to explain it to Frank, and Frank just gave him a slight nod which at least signaled that he understood. That's where experience, leadership, and discipline comes in.

Mike Greer 9 months, 2 weeks ago

It didn't look like Frank was close enough to the guy to touch him with a pole, but that's the way it goes sometimes. He had that surprised look on his face when the foul was called. Life can be a lot easier if you're perceived well, Frank's always emotionally under control, at least on the outside.

9 months, 2 weeks ago

It's all good, the Chiefs are in the playoffs. -MB

Robert Heckler 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I can't recall exactly when it happened and to who, but I recall a KSU player throwing an elbow into the face of one of KU's players and nothing was called. I think it was Graham who got hit. That would have been a flagrant last year. Did anyone else see that?

Bernard Gregory 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I was wondering the same thing why wasn't that reviewed.