Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Juco DE Azur Kamara commits to Kansas football

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

On the eve of college football’s new early signing period, Kansas added another junior college commitment to its 2018 recruiting class.

A defensive end at Arizona Western College, Azur Kamara announced his intentions to sign with the Jayhawks through a note on Twitter Tuesday morning.

After thanking family, friends and coaches Kamara wrote: “I am proud to announce that I’ve officially committed to the University of Kansas.”

Less than a month ago, Kamara announced his top five potential programs to join, and the list didn’t even include KU. In late November, the 6-foot-6, 230-pound defensive lineman was considering Utah, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Iowa State and Florida State.

Kamara visited Kansas the second weekend of December and ended up going another direction.

Rated a three-star juco prospect by Rivals, Kamara played 10 games for Arizona Western as a sophomore this past season, recording 30 total tackles, with 12.5 sacks, 15.5 tackles for loss, three forced fumbles and a pass breakup.

According to Rivals, Kamara also had offers from Nebraska, Oregon and several other Power Five programs.

The addition of Kamara as a potential signee gives KU its seventh junior college prospect in this class. He joins defensive end Foster Dixson (West Los Angeles Community College), defensive back Davon Ferguson and safety Jeremiah McCullough (Hartnell College), cornerback Elmore Hempstead (Fort Scott Community College), receiver Stephon Robinson (El Camino Community College) and defensive end Najee Stevens-McKenzie (ASA College).

None by Azur Kamara

Comments

Matthew Gaylor 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Going the Charlie Weis route with all the Juco recruits I see. At least this one has other P5 offers

John Fitzgerald 6 months, 4 weeks ago

He looks like a solid prospect but unfortunately half our recruits are now JUCO's. I have to assume Beaty is going after HS kids, but do they just not want to play for him?

Adam Engelbrecht 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Pretty impressive offer list from P5 schools for this kid. OK State, Louisville, Ole Miss, Oregon, Tenn, Zona, ASU, Baylor, Iowa State, Florida State and a few more. Here's to hoping he can contribute first year (if he comes to KU). Hang in there kid, sign a letter for us.

I think it's partly for two reasons (many more I'm sure, but definitely these play into it).

There are definitely solid JUCO prospects and I have no qualms with signing some to shore up thin roster positions. That just isn't what Beaty is doing though.

I think Beaty is trying his darndest (his word) to not get fired next season. He needs some guys that can just play at B12 level right when they come in, even if it's at the very bottom. I still think he's recruiting HS guys, but Beaty doesn't have another three years to develop those guys and he knows it. I have no doubt they're having trouble recruiting the talent they want. That's what happens when you set records for losses. It would happen with any coach--not just Beaty.

Marc Frey 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Most of the JUCO are on the defense. I guess shoring that up with JUCO is fine, if we use HS to start building the other areas of need. O-line and D-line.

Jeff Coffman 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Bowen can't coach up anyone, so he is left to recruit the JUCO in order to hope the JUCO coaching staff has done their role.

Pius Waldman 6 months, 4 weeks ago

The difficulty to gain better players is a major problem KU faces with their record of many defeats. Players can change their minds even after verbal agreements so need to wait until signed documents arrive. Conference play is challenging so Juco players are possible recruits. This one appears to be a better player.

Bryson Stricker 6 months, 4 weeks ago

I see the heavy recruiting of JUCO DLine as the first sign that we won't see Daniel Wise and Dorance Armstrong on Saturday's anymore. This dude would be a huge addition opposite of Dorance however, kid is a monster.

Jeff Coffman 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Maybe, or the depth they have, hasn't developed under the current staff and they are reaching for help.

Richard Duran 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Where are all the farm boy stud OLinemen from Liberal and Garden City and Coffeyville? Thats where it starts.

Jack Hoff 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Tomorrow will really tell us a lot about where we really are going into spring ball. The only thing I would differentiate with Beaty and Weis is that most of these JUCO’s have 3 years to play. This kid is a stud and depth definitely matters. We are seeing that with our basketball team now. Having capable backups to substitute keeps the level of intensity high and hopefully we can see our defense improve next year which is where most of these JUCO’s are being utilized. Would like to see more HS Olinemen added for the next signing period. My understanding is that the staff is really trying to get Big 12 ready players in here for Spring Ball and then will push high school for the next period.

Robert Brock 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Can you still find useful players from Junior Colleges?

Chris DeWeese 6 months, 4 weeks ago

During times like these, I remember what Coach Snyder said about juco guys. "If they're good, why not let them play?", or something to that effect. I agree with him, but I also think he is a far better judge of juco talent than most (that includes ability and willingness to be coached).

Jeff Coffman 6 months, 4 weeks ago

7 JUCOs, 1 Graduate Transfer, 5 HS (of which some are walk-ons/non-schollie).

buildingittherightway

Sam Allen 6 months, 4 weeks ago

We need 6'5 or taller with 330ish to prevent injury.

Austin Lopez 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Not to be negative but we do know majority of these JuCo kids we have are going to be busts right ? How many JuCo guys have been successful at Kansas ? Fish is the biggest JuCo that comes to mind other than that I think of how bad that 2013 JuCo class was.

Jim Stauffer 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Before you go off the deep end, Austin, why don't you check the current roster and see how many of Beaty's Jucos have contributed.

Layne Pierce 6 months, 4 weeks ago

I don't care so much about JUcos if they can play, and more importantly if Beatty and coaches will incorporate their abilities in the overall plan. That has been the biggest weakness of HC and staff, as far as I see.

Yes, high school kids are better, but the proof is in the pudding.

Rock Chalk