Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Report: New Orleans prep WR Devonta Jason still considering Kansas

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

According to Devonta Jason, there’s still a chance the coveted New Orleans prep receiver could end up signing with the Kansas football team he publicly decommitted from on Sunday.

Jason, a 6-foot-3 senior at Landry-Walker High (La.), who long served as a gleam of hope for the downtrodden KU fan base — Rivals currently ranks him as a four-star prospect and the 31st-best player in the Class of 2018 — told SEC Country he still is considering signing with KU, along with LSU and Mississippi State. Jason even claimed KU is his “lead team.”

In an interview with Sam Spiegelman, Jason said he backed off his initial pledge to Kansas to “for sure think about” which program he will sign with on Dec. 20, a decision he anticipates being the hardest of his young life.

“I decommitted because I didn’t want to stay committed to Kansas and then come in with a different mindset and then not sign with Kansas,” Jason said. “Whoever I sign with on signing day, that’s who I’m rolling with. I decommitted to just make sure that I could find the right fit.”

The talented high school receiver, who made a nonbinding verbal pledge to KU head coach David Beaty and associate head coach Tony Hull this past February, shared his signing day ceremony next week will include hats, jackets and gear featuring logos and colors from KU, LSU and MSU before he makes his future plans official.

“Kansas, LSU and Mississippi State have always been my top three,” Jason said. “LSU was my first offer. Mississippi State and Kansas were my second and third offers. While a lot has changed in my lifetime, those were the first three schools at the beginning of my recruiting process and they started the whole thing. It’s a blessing for me and I’m not counting them out.”

Jason also described himself as “torn” at this juncture. He also told SEC Country he did not make previously scheduled visits to either Kansas or Mississippi State the past two weekends due to family obligations.

Comments

Kevin Robert Fest 1 month, 1 week ago

Make up your mind already l feel like lm having a child and this is the 13th hour of labor. I can't take this anymore lol.

Bill McGovern 1 month, 1 week ago

Oh please. He's just doing it as a joke. KU football is not going anywhere under Beaty and Zenger.

Jack Hoff 1 month, 1 week ago

This young man and Clayton Tune could really help turn the tide of KU Football. Would be absolute legends in lawrence Kansas. Praying for a miracle. Rock chalk!

Joe Norgay 1 month, 1 week ago

There's really no evidence that Beaty can do anything with these two. He'd likely do a dismal job of bringing out their talents and Tune would likely just transfer.

It'd help the next coach to have them, no doubt about that. But, I'd just feel terrible if they hurt their careers by coming to KU instead of an SEC school.

Gerry Butler 1 month, 1 week ago

Oh I would too - -Mercy - -I'd just fret myself to death - -I'd just feel horrible - -what shall they do lmao

Brett McCabe 1 month, 1 week ago

All of the Louisiana kids have to know that Beaty won't even be here in a year - in their heart of hearts. It would be a major mistake for their careers to come to Kansas. They'd be better off at Nichols State.

Jack Hoff 1 month, 1 week ago

There is actually plenty of evidence that Beaty can develop individual talent. You know who owns the most receiving yards all time for KU? Desmond Briscoe. And his coach you might ask? David Beaty. Know who Texas A&M’s all time receiving WR is? Mike Evans. His coach? David Beaty. Odd. Eh forget it, coincidence I guess. This is a good news article, I don’t understand why you people choose to live in such misery over teenagers and their decisions. Cheer for KU and hope they get their first ever 5 star recruit, instead of this constant stream of hate about freaking college football of all things. Even with a few decommits, KU is in a position to recruit some of he best recruits they ever have.

Joe Norgay 1 month, 1 week ago

Mike Evans and Desmond Briscoe do not owe their success to their position coach.. lol. Has a litttttlllee more to do with their head coach, quarterback, o coordinator, etc.

Judging by how bad Beaty is as a head coach, those two may have had even greater careers if Beaty wasn't their position coach.

Jack Hoff 1 month, 1 week ago

Joe take my moms advice. It’s better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. You’re telling me a WR’s success isn’t related to the WR’s coach. I know you despise Beaty man but just stop with that. Nobody is saying they owe their success to Beaty because they still have to go out their and make plays but it’s not by coincidence he’s coached two record holders at that position. A position he himself also played in college. Head coaches actually are usually the people least involved in individual player development because they spend more time on the overall team approach. Hence the whole point of having a position coach in the first place. Take a lap Joe

Joe Norgay 1 month, 1 week ago

Jack, how were you able to remember your moms advice but never heed it since everyone on here thinks you're a fool for remaining chipper about how bad Beaty (3-33) is and how bad Zenger (12-72) is.

It's over. They lost. The sooner they're gone, the sooner KU football has a chance at recovering from the hole they put us in.

Jack Hoff 1 month, 1 week ago

Lol, you don’t have to look very far to see me say “David Beaty’s record is disappointing, however we should keep him to fulfill the scholarship limit.” If he fails next season can him and find a suitable replacement, at least they will have a full team to work with unlike the 50 players Beaty had his first year. I’m not on my hands and knees begging for mercy for Beaty and Zenger. They are grown men and they make a good sum of money so if they get let go, believe me I won’t be shedding any tears. So don’t put words in my mouth big guy. Lastly, I appreciate how you completely changed the subject of player development, so I’ll go ahead and take that as you not being able to defend your position. Have a good night Joe. Class will be back in session tomorrow. Rock chalk.

Dirk Medema 1 month, 1 week ago

No evidence, but merely coincidence that we've gone from 60% of a roster to 100%.

No evidence, but merely coincidence that we've gone from 0 all-conf players to 5.

Definitely agree that the goal is winning and we've fallen short there, but at least get your facts straight.

Brad Potter 1 month, 1 week ago

agreed jack. to that end i've been channeling lincoln hawk today and his miracle 6.42 minute arm wrestling victory over bull hurley as depicted in the 1987 blockbuster move, over the top. it's been a miracle to me for nearly 30 years and can be for this regime as well. lincoln saved custody of his son via arm wrestling and ku football can in kind via this miracle recruiting effort!

John Fitzgerald 1 month, 1 week ago

I’m still ready to do my 1,000 push-ups Devonta. Bring it! Commit! I’ll even let you count them for me.

David Robinett 1 month, 1 week ago

Brett, your feelings are known. How’s about you quit commenting on football articles?

Brett Gaul 1 month, 1 week ago

I want this guy to commit as much as anyone. If he does, though, who is going to throw it to him? I hope he is a good blocker, that may be all he gets to do.

Jack Hoff 1 month, 1 week ago

Hopefully we get the QB from Texas as well. Kid can spin the ball. Watch his tape. Legit arm and football IQ.

Conrad 'Cory' Miller 1 month, 1 week ago

Jack, maybe you should take your moms advise. You cant actually believe what your are saying. Are you on the KU payroll because this is just more proof that my ticket money is being totally wasted. Where do I start?

1: he can develop talent. BS!!! again I wont argue with you ill just point to results from this decade. Lets look at some of the names he has molded and shaped into great college payers. How about Ryan Willis Freshman starter and only got worse. how about Montel Cozart? He was a Bum before Beaty got here but a quality coach should be able to improve him some right? WRONG! How about our current QBs? Petyton Bender: Did you see any improvement this year? I sure didn't. Carter Stanley. Third Year in the program and he has show almost no improvement, his athletic ability is the only thing making him competitive because the coaches sure aren't. How about Tyriek Starks. the fact that we have never seen him tells me all we need to know, he isn't getting any better and if he hasn't seen the field behind these guys good luck! Isnt this guy suppose to be an offensive coach? Maybe Stop correcting I'm Being unfair after all those guys were all low rated prospects How about a High rated recruit like...... Daylon Charlot who barely saw any action and is now somehow on defense. If I'm Devonta Jason that's all I need to see right there.

2:"THESE GUYS LOOK GOOD ON FILM" You Don't say!?! A: you aren't pouring over film of theses guys. and B: What you are watching, those are called highlight films. see the point of those is actually to make them look good. If you have ever attended a KU football game and watched the Video before Kick off you would think we were super bowl contenders. C: ALL the guys I mentioned about looked great on "film" (Highlight Videos) and not a single one improved under HCDB.

3: You cant point to KU 10 years ago and try to pass off their success as Beatys. If those players were all developed and successful based on the coaching they received from DB we should be unstoppable now. how can you explain us being so bad?

4: His "success" as a position coach is more based on the coaching staff surrounding him, a quality head coach and a once in a lifetime QB (twice in a lifetime for DB having also benefited from Johnny Football) as was pointed out by another poster. Great example: My favorite DB story (Oddly enough DB actually told this story) is the 08 MU game before the famous 4th down play #5 and #10 were talking and one said to the other: "If the safety comes down you go vertical and it will be open." DB (who was in the huddle) said: "Guys! you cant just draw a play up in the mud here!" they looked at him and said "don't worry, we got this coach." Thank god they didn't listen.

Jack, this isn't even an argument because again you cant argue the results. You seem to discard the results for fairy tales and hype and worst of all the false hope you are trying to convey.

Jack Hoff 1 month, 1 week ago

Lol sorry for triggering you Conrad. I know it’s hard to read tone in text but I chuckled reading your post cuz I can only imagine how much you were fuming typing that. Please don’t have an aneurysm over teenagers playing football.

1. Your first point. Willis was only here for one year and Beaty didn’t recruit him. He sucked before Beaty and he still sucks. There’s a reason why Todd Reesing was special, some people have it some people don’t. You can’t just pick a QB off the street and say here you go, develop him and lead us to a bowl game. Montel Cozart again was not Beatys recruit and sucked before Beaty and still sucks. Though to a lesser degree because he only throws like 6 passes a game at Boise. Carter spent a good chunk of preseason with a broken hand and that’s affects things whether you choose to believe it or not. Trust me, I played in college and broke my ankle twice. Hard to gauge development with Bender cuz he played JUCO and there’s no measureable standard to assess “development” since the level of competition is so different. In other words, we need another season to measure both samples.

2. As I mentioned earlier. I played balled in college and as you know a big requirement to that is watching film. Over time you notice guys who jump out on film more than others. This is a common term coaches like to use. “That guy pops out on film.” So In rebuttal to your point, I would say I have some knowledge of how to watch film and what to watch for.

3. I at no point said Beaty should be given credit for KU’s success 10 yeas ago. Where you came up with that, I don’t know. I did say however that Beaty is the position coach of the two best receivers in their programs history in both his stints as a WR coach. Obviously there are other factors but you can’t just ignore that because you don’t like the guy.

Again, and I really want to stress this. IF DAVID BEATY DOES NOT WIN GAMES NEXY YEAR HE SHOULD BE FIRED ALONG WITH ZENGER. I have a personal connection with some of the staff but I BELIEVE THE LAST 3 YEARS HAVE BEEN UNDERWHELMING. If Beaty and Zenger get fired, I will not shed a tear, so y’all need to chill with all this fairy tale stuff. Nobody on here as ever seen me make a prediction as to how many games we are going to win and I’ve never done that in the past. I just wait and watch the season play out. So don’t put words in my mouth. I’m not some idiot who thinks we’re gonna win the National Championship Next Year. My one and only point has always been that he should be given 4 years to have his own senior class and if that fails he should be let go. Everything out side of that are you bitter fans putting words in my mouth. With all that said. Have a blessed day Conrad! It’s the Holiday season, cheer up! So much to be thankful for and happy about! Rock chalk!

Jeff Coffman 1 month, 1 week ago

It sounds like you are a proponent of making Beaty a Wide Receiver coach.

I do think that Beaty is a good position coach, but definitely does not have what it takes to be a head coach. In order for Beaty to be a head coach he has to have position and assistant coaches that can do what he did as a receiver coach. He has yet to have one succeed. He also continues to see the coaches run away quickly.

Alex Wehking 1 month, 1 week ago

Beaty would probably just end up turning him into a safety.

Kevin Robert Fest 1 month, 1 week ago

Seems l he might be using Kansas just for the production value at his big reveal next week, he needs an extra hat to add to the drama.