Monday, December 11, 2017

Prep QB Tune describes KU as ‘still in the picture’ after Ole Miss offer, visit

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

Mere days after announcing he had picked up a scholarship offer from Ole Miss, Texas prep quarterback Clayton Tune, a Class of 2018 recruiting target of Kansas, traveled to Oxford, Miss., to check out the SEC program in person.

According to what Tune told Rebel Grove, the visit went “really well.” What’s more, the QB described KU as “still in the picture” — far from a ringing endorsement.

Less than two weeks earlier, Tune had recommitted to Kansas after, in October, backing off his initial pledge.

Tune told Russell Johnson of Rebel Grove he still plans to sign somewhere in December and enroll at a to-be-determined college for the upcoming spring semester.

"We'll see," Tune told Rebel Grove about his recruitment. "My plan is to sign early, and move in in around five to six weeks at the school I choose. Kansas is still in the picture, and Arizona State is starting to show interest, too, so we will see what this next week has in store for me."

Rivals no longer lists Tune in KU’s 2018 recruiting class.

Following his trip to Ole Miss, Tune posted to Twitter a photo of him wearing a No. 7 Rebels jersey, posing with new Ole Miss head coach Matt Luke.

Considered a three-star prep QB by Rivals, the 6-2 prospect from Hebron High, in Carrollton, Texas, also has offers from Houston and North Texas, as of Monday.

None by Clayton Tune

Comments

Bryson Stricker 1 year, 12 months ago

This kid is a Rebel, not a Jayhawk.

I no longer care or will follow recruiting news about him. He's more emotionally unstable than my first girlfriend.

Lindsey Scott in plz.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 12 months ago

It would have been nice to get a true freshmen QB from Texas on this class. Doesn't look like it's going to happen though.

Kevin Robert Fest 1 year, 12 months ago

I don't blame any of these recruits what does KU have? Winning Tradition? No. Coaching Stability. Nah. Competitive team. Nope. Bowl Games? No. By his Senior season they may competitive or they may not be who knows. So why bother at this point. It's a pretty sure bet by this time next year there will be a new coach in anyway barring some mircle.

Im mean KU doesn't have the greatest offensive line, he'd be running for his life. After the TCU game l'd go somewhere else as well.

Jerry Walker 1 year, 11 months ago

It's really hard to imagine KU can be out-recruted by a team thats just been put on probation - including a two year bowl ban.

Dillon Davis 1 year, 12 months ago

This class is going to be a joke. And we are not going to be any better next year, especially if Armstrong and Wise go pro. And then 4 games in Zenger will realize he made a mistake in keeping Beaty another year and we will have wasted another year of football. Not to mention Beaty is going to have to sign primarily JUCO players which will kill our scholarship situation in a couple years (even though he said he wouldn't do that). It is SO obvious how this will all play out but Zenger knows he had no choice but to back Beaty because if Beaty is gone then so is he. I guess we should be more upset at the chancellor for not making the move to get rid of both of them.

Gunnar Hays 1 year, 12 months ago

Also possibly worth noting that today it was announced Shea Patterson is transferring to Michigan. He was starting at QB for Ole Miss this season before getting hurt, and was most likely in line to be their starter again for 2018 until now.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 12 months ago

Good point there. Ole Miss pretty much opened the door for Tune.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 12 months ago

I love my Jayhawks, will always support my alma mater, and will never abandon them in any sport. BUT...this coming fall I might have to commit my time on Saturday afternoons to the local team here, the Huskers. I just can't keep doing this to myself. I'm not sure I've ever felt this sure that we're going nowhere. I sure hope I'm wrong, but it...just...plain...sucks!!!

Len Shaffer 1 year, 12 months ago

Andy, I wish I could do something like that, and I'm totally with you re never having less hope going into a season.

Yet for God knows what reason, I'll still watch every KU football game that I can. It must be the masochist in me -- or the insane part of me that keeps believing I'm going to be great every time I start another round of golf.

Marcus Balzer 1 year, 12 months ago

He gone. Might as well come out and say you are no longer interested in KU.

Rewind to Spring ball of last year...we get a five star, three kids 'commit' in one visit, our class is ranked #1 and we are led to believe that the program could be gasp possibly headed to six wins....Fast Forward to 12/11/17 and the ENTIRE class is falling apart. We are losing to SEC schools which I can accept but we lose a three star D-end to KSU. Now we are forced to go after 'leftover' JUCO kids.

The folks who make the big bucks for KU better figure this out and figure this out QUICK. I don't know how they can see all that is happening and have belief that Beaty is indeed the right guy for the program.

I thought last year was going to be the dark ages of KU but I am afraid next year might be even worse. We have the potential to head into dark and in not good ways HISTORIC levels of failure.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 12 months ago

Bill Snyder is currently 209-110-1 at KSU (65% winning percentage). Beaty is currently 3-33 (8% winning percentage). It would take Beaty going 12-0 for 5 years to match that 65%. And on the flip side it would take Bill going 0-12 for 170 years straight to match Beaty's 8%. Yes, I said 170 years.

Titus Canby 1 year, 12 months ago

I just got a job offer from GE. I'll be posting a photo of John Flannery and me on Twitter. If I get an offer from Facebook, I'll be sure to post a photo of Mark Zuckerberg and me... but probably not on Twitter. Oh, what the heck, maybe on Twitter too. I'll be sure to report on the back and forth offers in public as often as I can. Once I do make a decision, either in December or February, I'll hold a press conference in my back yard and invite as many of my former co-workers as possible. Who wants to bring the doughnuts?

Brad Avery 1 year, 12 months ago

Probably doesn't mean much, but Tune is listed by Rivals in the linked story. The article says he is not.

Clayton Tune QB 6-2 195 Carrolton, Texas (Hebron H.S.) A dual-threat QB with a three-star recruiting rating from Rivals, Tune backed out of his initial February commitment to Kansas before jumping back on board in November..

John Brazelton 1 year, 12 months ago

Next year's team with win with senior and junior leadership, not this year's recruiting class unless they are JUCOs. Coaches can coach, but players have to win games. Our players are just as tired of losing as the fans are seeing them lose. Let's see if they can motivate themselves into becoming better players next season.

Len Shaffer 1 year, 12 months ago

They can motivate the HELL out of themselves but they still will have very little hope as long as Beaty is the coach. He has shown NO ability to coach, develop, make in-game decisions, discipline his players, or even make the basic (and vitally important) decision of who should be his starting QB.

Jeff Coffman 1 year, 12 months ago

Zenger in his retention endorsement of coach beaty, he alluded that he was happy the way the recruiting class was going for KU. The rest was lackluster in his assessment. I wonder if Zenger still thinks the recruiting class is going well? I also wonder what Zenger was thinking, if you look at the majority of the fans of KU, very few of us, thought the recruiting class would survive. I still wonder what Zenger is evaluating. I'm still not sure I could find one thing that Beaty has done that is considered an upgrade to the program.

I wish Zenger would just show what he is using to evaluate the proposed success that Beaty is doing.