Originally published December 10, 2017 at 04:29p.m., updated December 10, 2017 at 05:39p.m.

KU football loses pledge from prep D-end, who commits to K-State

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

Mark off another name from the Kansas football team’s list of potential high school signees in the 2018 recruiting class.

Grandview, Mo., defensive end Cartez Crook-Jones, one of the eight initial preps to commit to David Beaty’s program this past February, now plans to sign with rival Kansas State.

A 6-foot-3, 230-pound lineman rated a three-star prospect by Rivals, Crook-Jones announced his altered plans to commit to K-State via Twitter on Sunday, after visiting the Manhattan campus with high school teammate Shane Cherry, who also pledged to sign with the Wildcats.

Crook-Jones’ change of heart came 10 months after former KU defensive line coach Michael Slater recruited him.

At the time, the D-end was one of eight prep commitments on board with Kansas. Only cornerback Corione Harris, running back Anthony “Pooka” Williams — both from Louisiana — and Texas quarterback Clayton Tune remain from that group (Tune backed out, too, in October and then jumped back on board in November).

Crook-Jones, defensive back Aaron Brule, receiver Ja’Marr Chase, defensive tackle Nelson Jenkins and five-star receiver Devonta Jason all have since de-committed after making non-binding verbal declarations to sign with Kansas.

A Landry-Walker High teammate of five-star prospect Jason and four-star Harris, New Orleans defensive end Josh Smith re-opened his recruiting process, reneging on his commitment to Kansas, a few days before Crook-Jones’ and Jason’s decisions became public knowledge.

None by Cartez Crook Jones

Comments

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 12 months ago

That’s not good. Beaty really needs Harris, Jason, and Tune to sign. Without them next years class will be rough unless he can pull off some miracles. Also, how many recruits can Beaty sign this year?

David Kemp 1 year, 12 months ago

Yes this is all beginning to unravel. Any more big decommits and any hope Beaty has of another year is way gone!

Layne Pierce 1 year, 12 months ago

What is Beatty selling? Ask yourself, just what do you point to? We are well on our way to being forced to take Juco leftovers.

Read it and weep.

Rock Chalk

[''] 1 year, 12 months ago

You Beaty 3-33 lovers act surprised... I want to do business with you guys. I really do. I have some beachfront property in the Sahara I am selling for $50 million in cash. Send me your email ASAP.

Shocked that a kid picked K-state over KU in football?? They sellout their home games & go to bowl. games. Like I said...send me your email address.

David Kemp 1 year, 12 months ago

Yes all he and zenger could sell us is building the program “the right way”. Well with recruits dropping like flies our only choice will be juco and Weiss legacy will continue on!

Gerry Butler 1 year, 12 months ago

lmao - -my only question to you is sparky - -why in the hell would YOU ever be dumm enough yourself to buy that so called beachfront property in Sahara Lol - not to smart. - But wait - -I forgot - -your the one that bought it not me - -don't blame you trying not to be the only Dum a - - in the room good luck sparky, next time don't be so quick to buy things - OH by the way are you a blonde - only a male version just curious - thanks but I'm gonna have to pas - -good luck rotflmfao

Brett McCabe 1 year, 12 months ago

Fear not you peasants, EMAW Zenger and his band of Noblemen all know exactly how to build a football program. The past six seasons have all been mere prelude.

Return to your cake.

Gerry Butler 1 year, 12 months ago

Damm you are just so WITTY - - CLEVER - -how do you do it? - -you HAVE to be some kind of stand up Comedian right? - love your posts - always good for a laugh - -don't give up - -don't ever give up. - Oh Look at me - I just took a famous quote - I think your rubbing off on me lmao

Jack Hoff 1 year, 12 months ago

Lol so funny when people overreact to things they don’t know about. Cartez currently has a ACT score that my 3 year old daughter could probably attain. Beaty and Coach Williams then informed Cartez that they will be looking at other players and backed off. KU doesn’t have the luxury of using a scholarship on a player that won’t be eligible to play. This isn’t a case of Kstate convincing him that he shouldn’t go to KU. So step off the ledge folks.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 12 months ago

Agreed! The steady stream of decommitments has strengthened my belief that the No. 10 recruiting class, followed by the No. 9 recruiting class followed by this stellar class are all excellent signs of progress by the "Recruiting Guru" and the "Football Guy". What more evidence could you possibly have of something being built the right way.

Also, nice shot at a young kid who is trying to pursue his dream. You are definitely a class act. Kind of like the KSU band director.

Jack Hoff 1 year, 12 months ago

Taking a shot? His scores are bad. That’s undeniable. What are you talking about? I wish the kid all the best, but his scores are bad. That’s not taking a shot, that’s just speaking reality. The fact that KU was 1 week away from having its first ever 5 star recruit is something. It’s not like we’re losing something we’ve always had before. Mangino wasn’t in here reeling in 5 star recruits left and right, sooooo

Conrad 'Cory' Miller 1 year, 12 months ago

"KU doesn't have the luxury" are you kidding me? are you saying that we quit recruiting him because of his ACT score?!?! HAHAHA you are on drugs or just stupid. At this point we have plenty of scholarships to offer, in fact we are actually gaining scholarships as we speak with yet another De-commit. Im guessing he took a look at the reality that David Beaty is pretty much worthless in the college coaching landscape. Funny how good coaches end up with good recruits. We have a BAD very very very BAD coach! Now that we are seeing that he actually cant recruit, i hope you all will stop the blind defense of this absolute disaster of a coaching staff and come back to reality.

Jack Hoff 1 year, 12 months ago

I’m telling you what I know to be a fact. Whether the reason behind it is good or bad, I don’t know. That’s up for you to decide. You can ask Benton Smith himself, who wrote the article. The reason for him flipping was KU backing off due to poor ACT scores among other things. Felt using a scholly on a guy who would never play wasn’t worth it. I could care less what you think of Beaty, I’m just telling you why the kid left

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 12 months ago

I don’t see his ACT information in this article. Can you reference the article you’re speaking of?

Jack Hoff 1 year, 12 months ago

I can only reference Gene Wier who is on the KU staff. We are good buddies and we keep in touch often.

Jack Hoff 1 year, 12 months ago

Also I don’t know if I’d call Beaty worthless in the college football landscape. He was A&M recruiting coordinator during probably their best years ever as a program but whatever. Again your opinion of him as a head coach is yours to have, just stating what I know.

Conrad 'Cory' Miller 1 year, 12 months ago

Jack Im not going to argue with you, Im just going to point at the results. you cant argue results and the results say hes pitiful an absolutely pitiful Head coach the fact that he was a good RC at A&M means absolutely nothing. For you to say he was there during the "Best Years ever" is again another moronic statement. How many National championships did they win? How about Conference Championships? Again, im not going to argue im just going to refer you to the results.

Jack Hoff 1 year, 12 months ago

Uhm I can’t argue with you that Beaty’s head coaching record is poor. But I was referring to your statement that he was worthless in college football. Maybe as a head coach, sure, time will tell. When he was in charge of recruiting at A&M they beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa and slaughtered Oklahoma by 30 in their bowl game. So you might want to check who’s making moronic statements. That was by far the best year in their school history so whether they won a national title or not doesn’t matter. He was also here during Ku’s best year ever and we didn’t win a national title so was that moronic too?

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 12 months ago

And just like that Devonta Jason is decommitted from KU...

Jack Hoff 1 year, 12 months ago

That hurts. Surprised we held him for 10 months

David Kemp 1 year, 12 months ago

I suppose his act score is too low too. What’s the next excuse?

Jack Hoff 1 year, 12 months ago

Nothing I can say about that one David. Kid found greener pastures. I wish him all the best in his future. Surprised we held on to him as long as we did.

[''] 1 year, 12 months ago

Yeah...everyone who decommits now will have bad ACT scores. That's the new one. Sour grapes much?????

Has absolutely nothing to do with Beaty's 3-33 record. No way.

Bill Kackley 1 year, 12 months ago

I hope you bloggers that have been so negative feel good you will get rid of the coach and your negativeism has been a big factor in all these recruits backing out. Thanks a lot anti KU fans. Anither 5 years of nothing thanks to you. Fire Bill Self, lost 2 in a row to lower rated teams

David A. Smith 1 year, 12 months ago

It is so odd to read many of the posts that are on here. It's almost like we're celebrating our failures.

Jack Hoff 1 year, 12 months ago

David you aren’t alone in that thinking. A lot of people on here would rather see us fail to prove they were right than for us to succeed and see Beaty turn it around. I literally read a post someone posted begging the recruit to decommittt cause KU didn’t “deserve” him.

Bill Kackley 1 year, 12 months ago

By the way my "fire Bill Self" remark was tongue in cheek remark

1 year, 12 months ago

‘jack’ : test scores are private; divulging them is a federal crime. u & Gene should check yourselves. we suck & are going to be awful w hcdb. stay outta jail. RCJH!