Sunday, December 10, 2017

Hectic Sunday also brings three additions to KU football’s 2018 recruiting class

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

On the same day his Kansas football program officially lost commitments from two longstanding Class of 2018 recruiting targets, three-year head coach David Beaty on three occasions Sunday took to Twitter to make unrelated “neat deal” declarations, marking the additions of new recruits.

The names of the latest potential signees won’t generate the immediate buzz of now de-committed high-profile New Orleans receiver Devonta Jason, who, like Grandview, Mo., defensive end Cartez Crook-Jones, de-committed from KU in the afternoon. But Beaty and his staff, according to Jon Kirby of Jayhawk Slant, were able to collect new pledges from three prospects.

Defensive end Foster Dixson and receiver Stephon Robinson are said to be on board from the junior college ranks. The third commitment came from a Texas prep offensive lineman, Jacobi Lott.

Robinson, a 5-foot-11, three-star receiver according to Rivals, played this past season as a freshman at El Camino Community College (Calif.), where he caught 62 passes for 1,275 yards. He had offers from Hawaii and other programs.

A 6-5, 250-pound D-end who played at West Los Angeles C.C. (Calif.), Dixson also is considered a three-star talent by Rivals and had offers from Colorado State, Connecticut and UTEP.

Lott, from Tascosa High, in Amarillo, Texas, is rated a two-star offensive tackle. Per Rivals, he also had offers from Tulsa, Bowling Green and other programs. Lott is listed at 6-3, 305 pounds.

Comments

John Fitzgerald 2 months, 1 week ago

How many years of eligibility do the JUCO guys have?

Jack Hoff 2 months, 1 week ago

Robinson is a four by three recruit. He will have three years to play at Kansas and a redshirt year if needed.

2 months, 1 week ago

not a power 5 offer among them. nice

Jack Hoff 2 months, 1 week ago

I would encourage you guys to watch their film! Robinson is a very fast, shifty runner and runs his routes very well. Great break away speed and will have 4 years to play 3 seasons! The OL is a legit 300 pounder and moves extremely well for his size. He was mowing people over. DE also has great pop off the line, good at swatting down balls and has great pursuit! Wishing them the best! Rock chalk!

Kevin Robert Fest 2 months, 1 week ago

Hey Jack as soon as you have film on these guys playing against BIG 12 COMPETITION let me know. You're amateur scouting report on these guys considering you are the biggest Homer on this board doesn't mean much.

David Kemp 2 months, 1 week ago

There is an excuse for every decommit by jack but these guys are treated like the second coming.

Jack Hoff 2 months, 1 week ago

Okay David, I offered insight as to why one specific recruit was no longer going to be joining the Jayhawks. Poor grades. That is factually true. Since I have an excuse for all of them. Go ahead and list them out. Don’t worry, I’ll wait.

Jack Hoff 2 months, 1 week ago

First of all Kevin if you wanna come at me learn how to spell first. It’s “your” not “you’re”. At no point have I ever said that the product we have gotten the past 3 years is acceptable. I just choose not to live a miserable life centered around how well 19 year olds can play football. I’ll continue to go to games and cheer them on and I wish them the very best. I also personally know Beaty and some of his staff well and I know how hard they work. I want him to succeed and I think he can. Sorry that is such an egregious sin. So go ahead attack my amateur scouting report, in the mean time I hope you learn how to spell, bozo.

David Kemp 2 months, 1 week ago

No power 5 offers to any of these three!

Ty Becker 2 months, 1 week ago

The guys look great it's amazing all other 64 power 5 schools and their recruiters ignored them (sarcasm font)

Brad Sherp 2 months, 1 week ago

With all the jucos Beaty is going after, when Beaty gets fired the program is actually going to be worse than it was after Weis.

Beaty himself said that "you win with 4th and 5th year seniors" after one of his beatings this year... then he goes after jucos every opportunity. He can not stop getting in his own way. Beaty is playing checkers, and the rest of the FBS is playing chess. He knows he is making the wrong moves, and does it anyway. If he loves KU football half as much as he claims, he will rip up his extension and quit. That is the only thing he can do to make the program better at this point.

And to Dr. Zenger, how are you ok with this happening on your watch? Did you learn nothing from the Weis situation? If you want to regain some respect from the KU fan base, put a stop to this juco madness. KU will not start being competitive again until it can consistently get to the point that it has a full 85 man roster of Big 12 caliber talent. Recruiting juco heavy every year is the equivalent of having the NCAA impose sanctions limiting the number of scholarships you are allowed. Why would you unnecessarily punish yourselves, or KU fans for that matter? We deserve better.

Joe Norgay 2 months, 1 week ago

Spot on Brad.

The hole that Beaty is now putting us in because of his terrible job recruiting/signing too many JuCo's to save his own butt = several more years of abysmal football. That's why I was in favor of cutting the cord on Beaty ASAP (meaning Zenger too) as we might as well get started as fast as we can with rebuilding.. again.

But Girod got conned into more Beaty/Zenger because of their "vision" and "plan" but all he had to do was talk to a few people with any sense about football to see the reality. The entire thing is an absolute disaster.

Len Shaffer 2 months, 1 week ago

You guys both hit the nail on the head. What I find incomprehensible is how any of the big donors can support Beaty or Zenger at this point. What on earth do they see that 90% of the rest of us don't???

If the big donors all said that they would stop giving any money until B and Z were gone, they'd be out of there immediately. Why would the biggest Jayhawk supporters not want to change things before we have to face yet another abysmal season and our future is in even WORSE shape than it is now?????

Kevin Robert Fest 2 months, 1 week ago

What do you mean Len the donors are getting a "Neat Deal" good enough for me lol. Omg is it possible next season will be worse than this one?

David Kemp 2 months, 1 week ago

Zenger doesn’t care because he knows he goes first if Beaty fails. Goin down in a blaze!

Blake Phillips 2 months, 1 week ago

I think the reason Girod kept the Beaty/Zenger path was quite simply is to actually give a coach/AD tandem the proverbial "4 years" - continuing to cut coaching staffs after 2- 2/12 years" (albeit we are the laughing stock of college football) this will finally after 2018-2019 (after a failure season) allows Girod to go seperate ways...... approach donors with a solid face and pitch to some coaches out there who are proven winners that "we are willing to give 4 years" - and I truly believe Girod felt compelled to give Zenger the benefit of the doubt just so the initial funding could be finalized and the indoor practice facility could be built.

I can assure you KU fans....... if beaty doesnt win 2 non cons and 3 BIG12 games he will be let go...... i know this as a fact and non hearsay. Not divulging how I know, but trust it...... beaty has to win a minim of that or else he will be fired mid-season. BEATY HAS TO WIN 2 NON-cons or the helm will be transfered to Meachum as interim until the season ends.

Ashwin Rao 2 months, 1 week ago

I do hope you are correct. It will be best of both the worlds. Give Beaty one more chance, but have a plan to move forward.

Looking forward to what Meachum can do... :)

Kevin Robert Fest 2 months, 1 week ago

So Beaty replaced one recruit who is irreplaceable and one recruit who is solid with 3 nobodies who at the end of their time here won't make a bit of difference. Check their other offers not one Power 5 offer. So please tell me if no other P5 school offers how does anyone think that they have the skills to compete in the Big 12. They don't which is why KU is getting blown out at halftime. Sorry A#!kissers facts are facts. He's just trying to fill out a class he needs bodies doesn't matter who they are.

Jack Hoff 2 months, 1 week ago

This is incredible. I cannot believe a “KU Fan” is willing to call some kids nobodies on a public forum. I mean seriously a grown man is on a public forum calling kids nobodies. Kids who are putting their bodies and frankly their life on the line for fans who sit on their butts watching TV. They work their tails off to hopefully get this thing turned around and we call them names before we ever even see them play. Like I said, we are in a sad place not just as ku fans but as a society right now.

William D'Armond 2 months, 1 week ago

They should bring in Les Miles on a 12 year contract and see what he can do with this program in a true rebuilding. Oh wait, Les Miles would see who was calling and laugh as he let it go to voicemail. Mangino is still out there!

Bill Kackley 2 months, 1 week ago

Thank you Jack Hoff. Only guy on here that wants KU to succeed in football next year. Fire Bill Self lost 2 straight games to teams rated below us, players are not busting their tales on defense, at least 2 are playing for theirselves and to top it off we have a short bench due to poor recruiting.

John Fitzgerald 2 months, 1 week ago

I'm sorry but you are recommending we fire a coach that has won 13 regular season Big 12 Championships and not a guy that is 3-33 and has only won ONE game in the Big 12?

Jack Hoff 2 months, 1 week ago

Thanks Bill. The thing of it is, nobody is okay with what we’ve gotten the past few years. A lot of it spans back to the previous coaching regimes. However, when we get recruits, I hope they develop into players who will help turn this program around. Seems to me everyone on here is hoping these kids who are chasing their dream will fail so they can say “ See! I told you this would happen.” Yeah we lost a five star recruit, it sucks but last time I checked KU has never had one committ here ever so we aren’t losing anything we’ve had in the past. Fraud fans on here will praise how mangino could find diamonds in the rough but when Beaty recruits a three star player, somehow he doesn’t get the same luxury. People just want to be negative and scream and shout. I’ll continue to live my life, not live vicariously through college kids, love my beautiful wife and cheer on ku football on Saturday’s. Rock Chalk Bill!

Ty Becker 2 months, 1 week ago

Please enlighten me as to how keeping someone around who has one FCS win is actually FOR winning next season?🤔

Ty Becker 2 months, 1 week ago

I want to win next season, which is why I would replace Beaty

Ty Becker 2 months, 1 week ago

Someone correct me but aren't we currently sitting at 12 recruits with half being JUCO kids? How's that for building with High School kids?

John Fitzgerald 2 months, 1 week ago

Needed a good laugh this morning. And this definitely did it. Lol

John Brazelton 2 months, 1 week ago

Most of you guys slay me! You want IMMEDIATE WINS and then you degrade Beaty because he recruits some JUCOs for next season to give him the depth to win. Look at all of our injuries this season with no experienced depth to replace the starters. If Beaty was able to win 6 games next season and go to a bowl game, everyone would be complaining the bowl game wasn't prestigious enough. Look at Bill Self, his team loses two games in a row and everyone is in a panic and calling him a lousy recruiter.

Jack Hoff 2 months, 1 week ago

John most people, myself included have no idea how much goes into running a good program. We just sit on our butts watching TV hollering and screaming how things should be done. There is a good reason why they have the jobs and we don’t. There is a huge difference between what Weis did and what Beaty is doing. Weis recruited 2 year JUCO guys with bad attitudes who ended up leaving the program. That’s much different than recruiting 3-4 year JUCO guys with character. The roster has stabilized in terms of numbers since Beaty has been here. People just see the word JUCO and start groaning instead of actually looking at how it affects the roster.

Lawrence McGlinn 2 months, 1 week ago

You and John apparently have personal connections to some of the current staff, so you guys are not objective. You're going to defend the current staff no matter how bad it gets. I admit I don't know how to run a winning Big 12 football program, but after three years I know Beaty does not, either.

Ty Becker 2 months, 1 week ago

I thought you were in the "Beaty's building it the right way" crowd?

Does it not bother you that he is losing his higher ranked high school recruits and now running around making it rain with late JUCO scholarships to kids with non power 5 offers?

George Johnston 2 months, 1 week ago

Immediate wins? Since when is "within three years" the same as "immediate"? And wasn't it Beaty who said the team could win six games in 2017?

I can't read minds the way you apparently do but my guess is that almost everyone who is unimpressed with Beaty's progress to date would be thrilled with six victories.

How many wins do you predict in 2018?

Other than wins, what would indicate progress to you?

Gordy Hoffman 2 months, 1 week ago

The chancellor will fire the AD and coach. When it happens, I don't know, but it will happen. Both of them are horrible at their jobs.

Jack Joiner 2 months, 1 week ago

Kevin , as soon as you find film on any recruit playing against P5 talent please post on here.

Bill Kackley 2 months, 1 week ago

John Fitzgerald, my post was to get some you guys to see how YOU are. I don't fire Self. Just get tired of all the blowhards on here who think they know something when they don't. People show the prep kids these posts and say see they are going to fire the coach, you don't want to go there, so the reopen their recruitment and this late in the game Beaty has a choice of going after jucos or not having enough players. Not even the greatest coaches in the world cant coach them up if he doesnt have the bodies. You guys are doing more to hurt KU football than anything else

Lawrence McGlinn 2 months, 1 week ago

The recruits are decommitting because of negative comments on this board? Wow! So, it isn't calls from the coach at Ole Miss or at LSU? So, let's all get on the Norman Transcript website and start saying bad things about Lincoln Riley. I'm sure that will make all the OU recruits jump ship and give us a chance against them! Sorry for the sarcasm (not really), but if the comments on this site are causing recruits to decommit they don't have the kind of personality they will need to help us get out of the hole we're in.

John Fitzgerald 2 months, 1 week ago

I’ve never said we should fire Bill Self. And you have got to be the stupidest person on this planet to compare Self and Beaty. How does that even make any sense? And then blaming fans because recruits don’t want to come here? My goodness man pull the plug on the machine that’s running your brain because it’s failing.

Layne Pierce 2 months, 1 week ago

Mr. Hoff,

I would love it, if you were right. I would love it if we suddenly become a competitive team next year. Note, I did not say that we would win a certain number of games, because my goal is to be competitive every time we go out on the field. When that is the case wins will come.

That being said, I don't care a whole lot who we recruit, because I have no confidence that Beatty and crew can develop the players. Next year will be the 4th year, and where is the development. Wise, maybe?, Stanley?, if he had been given the starts this year.

So, we are faced with a puzzle, without great recruits you can't win games, without winning games you cant get great recruits, so what do you do Mr. Hoff?

Joseph Bullock 2 months, 1 week ago

I would like to know how many ju-co players we will have on the roster next season. If it isn’t a ton, stop criticizing Coach Beaty for picking up some of those commitments! By the way, I believe we are getting closer to having our full allotment of Scholarships, starting next season! It does matter, Recruiting, if you don’t have a Scholarship to offer kids! That being said, we do need to see a big overall uptick, next season-and I believe we will! And I really wish people would stop being so hateful here. It shows Immaturity!!!

Bob Bailey 2 months, 1 week ago

Up to now, our talent pool has been coachable. The coaching staff just doesn't know how to use them! Hopefully many of them will have 2 years. They might be able to contribute the second year. We might just be in bigger trouble for the next guy.

Bill Kackley 2 months, 1 week ago

No John, you are the stupiest person. I was not comparing Self and Beaty. Just trying to show a clunkhead like you that your posts do no good, only harm but you are too dense to get it.

John Fitzgerald 2 months, 1 week ago

You can't even spell the word, Bill! My goodness. Your comparison makes zero sense. Why even bring up Self when I've never said one word about firing him? And you think people asking for Beaty to be fired are crazy when he's 3-33? What coach in a Power 5 Conference has ever been 3-33? NONE! That's why people are upset. And for your information, lately I haven't been asking for Beaty to be fired on this site. I've accepted that he's going to be here next year and have been trying to make sense of what his plan is, as it seems to be falling apart. And it's fine if you want to support him, I don't care. More power to you for continuing to slam your head into a brick wall. But when you make ridiculous and nonsensical claims, someone needs to call you out and bring you back from Narnia.