Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Daylon Charlot heads into KU debut as second-string receiver

Team Jayhawks receiver Daylon Charlot has a pass broken up by Team KU cornerback Julian Chandler (25) during the first quarter of the 2017 Spring Game on Saturday, April 15 at Memorial Stadium.

When the Kansas football team published its first depth chart of the season this week, no revelation on the 2-deep resonated quite like former Alabama wide receiver Daylon Charlot’s presence on the second string.

What’s more, Charlot, a four-star recruit during his prep days in Patterson, La., was listed by his coaches as an either/or option, with sophomore Evan Fairs.

Four days ahead of sophomore Charlot’s long-anticipated KU debut, head coach David Beaty said “production” at practices has kept the touted wideout from reaching his potential.

“Some of it’s been availability, being able to be on the field,” revealed Beaty, who has said he no longer will give many specifics on his players’ injuries. “And when he’s not on the field, whether it be an injury or anything else that might keep him off the field. He’s battled some things throughout fall camp, which has kind of, you know, his availability hurts him a little bit in that regard.”

First-year KU offensive coordinator Doug Meacham, too, hinted recently that Charlot, expected since his arrival as a transfer a year ago to become a much-needed complement to junior receiver Steven Sims Jr., might not have been playing on a first-string level in preseason sessions.

“He’s got a great skill set. He’s a strong player. I think we just need to see him play beyond two plays,” Meacham said, with a chuckle. “You know, at times he’ll go a couple, he’ll make something really good happen, and two or three plays into it, he just kind of disappears a little bit. I don’t know if it’s the conditioning or we’ve just still got to work with him to fight and give six, seven straight reps. But he’ll make a ‘wow’ play and then kind of dissolves a little bit, I think, because of fatigue or whatever.”

As far as Charlot is concerned, his current spot among the second-stringers isn’t an issue in the days leading up to Saturday’s season-opener versus Southeast Missouri State (6 p.m. kickoff, Memorial Stadium).

“I use it as a motivator, but, I mean, we’re still battling, fighting for positions and this and that,” Charlot said. “Come game day, we’ll all find out who the starter is. Right now, I’m just focused on winning games.”

The depth chart listed frontline receivers as juniors Sims, Jeremiah Booker, Kerr Johnson Jr. and Ryan Schadler, with potential second-string options as Charlot, Fairs, sophomore Chase Harrell, freshman Quan Hampton and junior Tyler Patrick.

KU’s third-year coach referenced the silver lining of the situation from his perspective.

“We’ve got great competition out there. That’s one thing. When you’ve got Daylon Charlot not listed as a one right now, and at the two or the three, that’s telling you you’ve improved a little bit, because I think Daylon’s a talented guy,” Beaty said. “He’ll definitely play Saturday — there’s no doubt about it. I don’t know who will run out there first. It might just depend on what package we’re in. We’ve got so many different guys right now who we think can contribute, it gives you a little bit of an advantage because you might be able to package them.”

Charlot’s position coach, Meacham, described the impact transfer as a “work in progress” at this juncture.

“But he does make some good catches and some good plays at times,” KU’s offensive coordinator conceded.

Whether Charlot’s Jayhawk debut comes as a starter or a reserve, the confident wideout wants to make significant contributions against SEMO.

“Whatever comes comes, but I know what I need to do to help my team out and help them win,” Charlot said. “Hopefully Saturday will be a great game for me.”

Comments

John Fitzgerald 2 years, 1 month ago

Gotta give it 100% in practice my dude. You can't prance yourself to a starting role. You gotta 'earn it' just like everyone else. Hopefully he figures that out quick because we can't afford to have anyone dogging it come game time. 3 days boys! Get PUMPED!

David Robinett 2 years, 1 month ago

Can't wait. As one of the regular poster says rock chalk all day long baby!!

Gerry Butler 2 years, 1 month ago

Gotta love Coach Beaty. - -I mean this guy don't play ya know - - Just like John says , you gotta bring it - - -every day on the field, gotta show up. A case where he got some hype - -has talent - and expect good things, but you have to earn it, as Coach says possibly disappears after a couple of plays, Coach not giving you reps for 75%. - That's what I like even though we trying to get this program rebuilt, Coach has expectations, standards.- and sure like you best be bringing it 100% EVERY play. - I am sure Charlot is gonna give a lot of exciting plays during the year just take some time and if he doesn't give his all - -then he be running 2nd string for the year. You work hard, practice hard, you get rewarded, you don't - -you get the sidelines. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Brett McCabe 2 years, 1 month ago

I'd put more of the credit to Meachem. He stated early on that Charlot wasn't "all that".

Ryan Schadler, Jeremiah Booker and Steven Sims will be the guys I'm watching + Ben Johnson, if the offensive coaches remember that tight end is an actual position.

Not interested in drama. Interested in production.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 1 month ago

More surprised that you aren't blaming Beaty. Surely he did something to limit Charlot's productivity.

Brett McCabe 2 years, 1 month ago

The straw man - the favorite technique of those who have run out of ideas.

Tim Orel 2 years, 1 month ago

Just wondering - KU BB will recruit someone who's rated a 3 or 4, but once KU is heavy into them, or signs them, the final rankings bump the player up in the number of stars or certainly in the ranking for the top players. The rankings organizations figure if KU is that into them, they must be worth a great deal.

Is Charlot the same kind of thing but on the football side? Alabama recruits him, so a possible 3 goes to a 4? Once he arrives at Alabama, perhaps his habits don't measure up to the other 4 and 5 players Alabama gets, so he transfers to a program with lower expectations.

I'm hoping he does indeed use this as a chip and becomes the type of receiver that will make KU fans rank him up with some of the best-evers at KU, with multiple 1200 yard seasons.

I agree with the others - I am glad Beaty is looking at the player, not the rankings and 4*, when he's making out his lineup.

Joseph Bullock 2 years, 1 month ago

If you show favoritism, especially when a player doesn't 'bring it' on a regular basis, all the players see it, so how will a lot of them react? The coaches would lose their credibility! In his own words:Charlot still has that 'I will show you on game day logic'-which he better get out of! He also needs to drop that 'I', mentality, and realize football is a "Team Sport"! If things didn't work out at Alabama, and if they don't work out at a rebuilding Kansas team, his chances of making it to the next level, will drop significantly! I'm not 'hating' on him-just telling it like it is! I hope he gets his mind set, right!