Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Self calls Dedric Lawson’s handling of recent suspension ‘very good’

Kansas forward Dedric Lawson (1) pulls down a rebound while running drills with the post players during an open practice on Tuesday, July 11, 2017. The Jayhawks are preparing for four early-August exhibition games in Italy.

When Kansas coach Bill Self announced, one day before his team’s departure for Italy, that transfer forward Dedric Lawson had been temporarily suspended and would not make the trip, KU fans from coast to coast began to wonder if adding the former Memphis standout had been worth it.

Wednesday, on an appearance with Seth Greenberg on ESPN radio, Self was asked about Lawson’s suspension and how it was received.

“To me, that wasn’t that hard of a decision,” said Self after again explaining that how Lawson handled himself during an altercation at practice was what led to the suspension. “And he was 100 percent OK with it. He knew.”

The decision to leave Lawson home but bring his brother, K.J. Lawson, on the trip could have created some drama. But Self said both players handled the situation well, with K.J. heading over to soak up some culture and bonus playing time and Dedric staying home to refocus his attitude.

“It was fine,” Self said. “I love those guys. They’ve been great since they’ve been here.”

As for whether the decision to discipline Dedric had any lasting affects, Self said that remained to be seen but added that it did not cause him to think any differently about the former Memphis forward who averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds for the Tigers last season.

“It was obviously temporary,” Self said. “It was a short-term deal and when he gets back (from visiting home before school begins) we’ll be ready to go. In no way did that take away from what we think of him or anything like that. But just like when your own son or daughter (messes up), it doesn’t mean you love them less just because you ground them. And he was 100 percent on board with it. He was very good about it.”

Comments

Bryce Landon 3 months ago

Hopefully this will motivate him to make changes to his attitude and work his tail off in practice going forward.

Chris DeWeese 3 months ago

They've been great since they've been here?

Shannon Gustafson 3 months ago

Do you have a daily tally of their good and bad behavior to dispute Self's claim? Didn't think so...

If he's had one negative since he's been here and everything else is positive, I'd define that as "been great".

Shannon Gustafson 3 months ago

Based on what? You're not at practice or any team activities so you've got nothing to base your opinion on other than what he did for about 5 seconds of his months he's been here. What I'm saying is you have no idea what's went on day to day so how can you dispute whether he's been great or good or OK or bad?

Thomas Green 3 months ago

Time will tell. I think we all root for young kids to learn and grow from their mistakes. I know I made plenty myself! Most of which I lbelieve I actually learned from.

Shannon Gustafson 3 months ago

They won't ever say but it's pretty well known that he punched Lightfoot and broke his nose in practice while they were battling in the paint. He either took exception to the physical play, or took the "battling" part a little to literal.

Marcia Parsons 3 months ago

Is it actually "known"? The only place I've ever seen that is in these comments or on one of the message boards. I read that they were playing pretty rough under the basket, but nobody official ever said it resulted in a punch in the nose. Are you sure that's what happened?

Jonathan Allison 3 months ago

If it weren't a punch, I would still think that I must be something equally severe to warrant suspending him from the Italy trip.

Based on Self's comments at the time of the suspension I had assumed that he got in a fight with a teammate or a verbal altercation with a coach.

Chris DeWeese 3 months ago

You know this for certain? Didn't think so.

Mike Greer 3 months ago

Well you can't trust anything you hear on the news or read on the internet, and I wasn't there for the practice, but I think it was someone on ESPN that posted a comment about the ". . . rearranging Lightfoot's face . . . " Take that for what it's worth. I figured from that it was either a punch or an elbow. If he's going to play with the "big boys" he needs to learn to control his emotions, it's a game, remember. Don't want to see him do that in a final 4 game that's close.

Shannon Gustafson 3 months ago

I know you're just trying to troll because I called you out above for judging him based on nothing other than you're own bias but I'll help you with your reading comprehension anyways.

"They won't ever say but it's pretty well known" doesn't mean "I know he did it", it means people (not me) have stated under pretty certain terms that this is what happened. It doesn't mean "I know" anything as I wasn't there. I'd think you'd understand that I'm not part of the staff or team and therefore don't know with 100% certainty and therefore was just repeating what was reported elsewhere.

Craig Alexander 3 months ago

If any of the rumors are true, then I am really excited to see what Lightfoot does this year. This would mean he is bringing intensity to the new guys to show them he isn't going to be replaced or displaced from his spot easily. Lightfoot wants it and I can see Self using him a lot if he is working his tail off.

Barry Weiss 3 months ago

well, I hope it was an inadvertent elbow as opposed to a punch. damn, that is not good.