Thursday, September 1, 2016

Class of 2019 PG adds name to list of Late Night visitors

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas University basketball recruiting

The row of visitors sitting behind the Kansas bench on Oct. 1 at Late Night in the Phog could soon stretch from baseline to baseline.

Another Kansas target on Wednesday revealed to Matt Scott of TheShiver.com that he was planning to attend this year’s Late Night festivities.

Class of 2019 point guard Markese Jacobs, of Chicago Academy, will make an unofficial visit to KU’s campus the weekend of Oct. 1.

Jacobs, 5-foot-10, 155 pounds, is considered one of the most explosive guards in the 2019 class.

KU assistant Jerrance Howard, a Peoria, Ill., native, is the lead recruiter for Jacobs.

Jacobs joins a list of Late Night attendees that includes current KU commitment Marcus Garrett, guard Troy Brown and point guard Collin Sexton, from the 2017 class, along with point guard Brandon Williams and five-star big man Bol Bol, from the 2018 class, as well as a trio of 2019 prospects in Zach Harvey, Bol teammate Jeremiah Robinson and forward Matthew Hurt from Rochester, Minn.

Offers flying

It’s hard to envision what the Kansas basketball team will look like in 2020 and beyond, but the KU coaching staff is well on its way to making that more clear.

Andrew Slater, of 247Sports, reported on Wednesday that KU was one of three schools to offer scholarships to Class of 2019 prospects Bryan Antoine and Scottie Lewis, both of whom are ranked near the top of the 2019 recruiting class.

Lewis, a 6-4, 170-pound, five-star shooting guard and Antoine, a 6-5, 175-pound combo guard, both come from Ranney Prep School near Tinton Falls, New Jersey.

Washington and Miami, Fla., were the other schools to offer the teammates. And, with KU recently offering Class of 2018 point guard Jahvon Quinerly, 6-foot, 165 pounds from Hackensack, N.J., Adam Zagoria, of zagsblog.com, recently Tweeted that it was going to be “tough to keep those kids in Jersey. As always.”

Comments

Phil Leister 1 year, 3 months ago

This site really misses Gary Bedore. I used to come here for the most up to date KU news, which I did after seeing a picture Perry Ellis posted on Instagram saying something about a successful surgery. He had surgery? What? I gotta find out more, so let me log onto KU Sports. Nothin.

Meanwhile, Gary at the KC star wrote a nice article TWO DAYS AGO about Perry's signing with the Charlotte Hornets, complete with quotes from Perry's agent detailing a successful hernia surgery.

The lack of coverage on this site combined with the relentless ads, I miss the good old days.

Dale Rogers 1 year, 3 months ago

Wow, I didn't know about those things either. Kusports apparently dropped the ball. Twice. Not good. I have kusports open automatically each morning on one of my browser tabs and it's one of the first sites I check. And I check back several times during the day, as I can.

I can't see most kc star sites because they want me to pay to subscribe. I live on the west coast so don't really want to peruse the kc news in entirety and don't want to pay for sports news I can usually get elsewhere. But apparently that's changing. Come on kusports, we do care about our former players.

Matt Tait 1 year, 3 months ago

We're still in transition from all of the changes that hit us this summer and are working harder than ever to make sure you still get the coverage you want and need.

We had some kind of KU hoops update every day in August — often times two or three a day — including exclusive interviews with Josh Jackson, Devonte' Graham and Bill Self... We'll continue to work on the former player angles and are definitely committed to covering the heck out of the current team and recruiting. Thanks for continuing to check in with us. We'll only get stronger as the season gets closer.

-- Matt

Phil Leister 1 year, 3 months ago

I appreciate the candidness Matt. This has been my go-to site for Jayhawks news for as long as I can remember. The work you do Matt is top notch. But letting Newell and Bedore go to other (competing!!!) organizations has inevitably left some big holes on this site. Not your fault, I know. But I hope the new ownership can see feedback like this and take it into account. You guys seem to be spread quite thin.

Matt Tait 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks. They're committed to keeping KUsports.com at the level it always has been. Just give us some time to work out all the kinks and figure out how the new era of the site is going to work. It'll still kick ass. Tell your friends! ;-)

Dale Rogers 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks, Matt. I should be more patient. Didn't realize there was that much upheaval. I know Gary is gone. I see Jesse's byline on Star articles. So he's gone from kusports, also? Anyone else gone we're used to hearing from?

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 3 months ago

I also have kusports.com set to automatic open on my browser. Jayhawk Slant was my second go to site. I just let let my Slant subscription expire in favor of The KC Star. The Star's combination of Bedore and Newell, plus the podcast with CJ Moore are impossible to pass up for KU sports fans. GB will always get the scoop on KU BBall. Too bad the new owners could not see that but then again, they have a business to run and that sort of thing happens often. The Nevertheless, the LJW, kusports.com, will always be the home base for KU Sports.

With the economic realities of the print media business, you have to be insane to not believe both KUSports.com and The Star Sports will be going toward a monthly fee basis. I'll pay for two good source but absolutely not three .... sorry Slant.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

Matt, mo matter what transitional headaches the site is going through, it still beats the crap out of Puke, North Carelessness and Kensucky!! For God's sake don't you leave, however!!