Thursday, October 27, 2016

5-star PG Collin Sexton sets Nov. 10 decision date

A line of Kansas recruits sit down for Late Night in the Phog on Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse.

With November fast approaching and a decision from five-star Class of 2017 point guard Collin Sexton expected soon, the No. 7 ranked player in the country, according to Rivals.com, has pinpointed a date for his decision.

According to a report from Pat Lawless of GiveNGo on MadeHoops.com, Sexton (shown in "S" T-Shirt at far left in photo above) will announce his college of choice on Nov. 10, one day before Kansas plays Indiana in the season opener in Honolulu.

“I will be making my decision on November 10th because that is my sister’s birthday, who is very special to me” Sexton recently told Lawless. “I also can go into the season with no worries and play my senior season out.”

Although Georgia Tech and NC State technically remain alive in the Sexton sweepstakes, many national recruiting analysts have pegged this as a battle between Kansas and Alabama.

Sexton visited KU for Late Night in the Phog earlier this month and was blown away by what he experienced. However, at the same time, his bond with Alabama coach Avery Johsnon — a former NBA point guard and coach — also has made a significant impact on the 6-foot-1, 170-pound guard from Mableton, Georgia.

“They have been on me the longest and they have kept building onto that relationship,” Sexton said of Alabama in the recent chat with Lawless. “They were the first to offer me, which means a lot. Coach Avery is someone who has played in the league and I want to get to that level in the future.”

As for Bill Self’s Jayhawks, KU’s track record as one of college basketball’s blue blood programs continues to factor into Sexton’s decision.

“Kansas is a school filled with legacy and a winning tradition,” Sexton told Lawless. “When I was on my visit, they treat their players like superstars no matter how much playing time they get. Coach Self has coached some really good players at Kansas and he knows what it takes for them to get to the next level.”

Shortly after his visit to Kansas, Sexton talked about the potential of joining fellow five-star point guard Trae Young in Lawrence and watching those two become the next edition of Frank Mason and Devonte’ Graham. Regardless if that’s where his future lies or if he picks the SEC school closer to home, Sexton has outlined a clear set of factors that will help him make his final decision.

“I will base (it) off of the best fit for me to come in and get stronger, faster and develop as an all-around player and person,” he told MADEHoops. “I want to be able to make mistakes without looking over my shoulder to see if I'm going to get taken out the game. I want to play my game on the court and I also would like for my family to be able to go to the games and support me.”

That last line, along with the Nov. 10 decision date laid out by John Petty, a four-star guard from Alabama who many believe is leaning toward Alabama over Kentucky, has some wondering if Sexton will wind up with the Crimson Tide.

We’ll know in two weeks.

Comments

Jason Roberts 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Those two quote tells me he would prefer going to Alabama because 1) playing time guaranteed, and 2) proximity to Georgia. I also wonder if he arbitrarily chose a date (sister's birthday might be closest date he could think of) that coincides with Trae Young narrowing down/making his decision. He might be texting with Trae on a regular basis and have inside knowledge on where he will go.

Jeff Coffman 2 months, 3 weeks ago

The first thing he said was "I will base (it) off of the best fit for me to come in and get stronger, faster and develop as an all-around player and person"...all has the strength conditioning from Kansas and HCBS to develop PG/Combo guards . Also, HCBS from fans has been quick to pull the hook on people that he has given specific things to avoid, but with his PGs like TT and EJ, the hook was much longer than many fans would have liked. I don't think players think he has a quick hook, I think fans think that.

Evie Chan 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Anybody can earn 450$+ daily... You can earn from 9000-14000 a month or even more ifyou work as a full time job...It's easy, just follow instructions on this page,read it carefully from start to finish... It's a flexible job but a good eaning opportunity.. go to this site home tab for more detail... www.Goo.gl/Wwd3HF

Brett McCabe 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Jason, I agree with your assessment. If this guy ever makes it to the NBA and gets some real money, I'd like to play him in poker.

Catherine Barnes 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Catherine Barnes 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Joe Ross 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Sexton's election of a college will commence one day after the election of a President. While the choosing of a President certainly has more import, the hangover from this tortuous election season will be a bit overcome for me personally by good news re: Sexton one day after. "Fingers crossed!"

Tyler Capone 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Welp...the recruiting woes continue with Sexton basically being a lock to Bama. Unreal.

Dale Kroening 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Recruiting woes ????? I guess getting stuck with Josh Jackson , Udoka , and Mitch was a total failure. SMH.... People piss and moan every season and we ALWAYS end up just fine. HCBS can only be honest to these kids and try to sell them on KU , sometimes it works out , sometimes it doesn't . I trust Self.....

Jay Scott 2 months, 3 weeks ago

The Chicken Littles don't seem to understand that One and Done mentality players aren't inclined to choose Kansas in the fall.

Marius Rowlanski 2 months, 3 weeks ago

We do have a player named Malik Newman who will be eligible here over the same time period all the other OAD's will be here except that he will be practicing here with Kansas instead of playing high school basketball.

Marcus Garrett is an incoming top 50 point guard and I'm pretty sure Vick will be here as well. I'm confident Self will sign another guard but we're hardly anywhere near the panics zone.

And as Jay points out, we've gotten Jackson, Wiggins, Oubre. Azubuike, Selden, Alexander, Bragg and Joel Embiid all in the Spring. Personally, I think signing another wing is far more important.

Suzi Marshall 2 months, 3 weeks ago

It's so hard to guess what our needs will be for next year. As things are, it seems to be aligning for a late spring/summer signee of a grad transfer(s) or international player (s).

Jeff Coffman 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Alabama is thinking you took three football players from us, we are going to take one basketball player from you...I hope not.

I personally think that Sexton can see that there is an open spot for him and that he would love to be the superstar at a bluechip school for basketball. He also sees that if Trae comes, it would be with the likelihood that Devonte is gone as well, which either way he is playing with Devonte Trae or Lagerald. I'm not sure if he has a supporting cast in Bama without the other guard (Trae) committing until spring, I think that it is a risk for him declaring this early for bama. At KU it isn't risky.

Tyler Capone 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Sexton and John Petty are both announcing on the same day.

Tyler Capone 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm just talking about in this cycle, Dale.

Harlan Hobbs 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Hope I am wrong, but my gut says that he will choose Alabama probably for the reasons cited by others. However, he might learn something from Malik Newman who originally chose Mississippi State over KU because of the "closeness" angle. He subsequently learned that, to prepare himself for the next level, playing in an elite program gives you a leg up with the NBA scouts because you typically learn more of the fundamentals playing and practicing against the best.

I agree, Brett, that based upon his comments, Collin doesn't seem to have a very good "poker face."

Jay Scott 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Speak of "face"...Here's a Bob Knight classic in honor of his 76th birthday a few days ago...

Suzi Marshall 2 months, 3 weeks ago

From what Sexton said, he might as well have announced for Alabama. Damn, Sexton and Young are the two guys we really need to sign.

Tim Orel 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I actually think with Malik Newman and Lagerald Vick we'll have two very good guards to start with. Granted, we could use more, but Sexton wouldn't be guaranteed to start even with a top ten ranking (I'm pretty sold on Vick, especially with another year under his belt). Should Devonte still be around for some reason, we'll be very solid.

Tony Bandle 2 months, 3 weeks ago

It's all about playing time. Newman and Vick are going to be here for sure. Newman will have a years head start at KU , Vick two.

Also, not always but the majority of the time, when a kid talks the coach at one school and the program at another school, the coach usually gets the nod.

All we can do is wait and see and hope he makes the best decision for his future.

Marius Rowlanski 2 months, 3 weeks ago

'One ray of sunshine, however, is that the Big 12 is recognized in Division 1 as one of the best overall basketball leagues and the SEC as one of the worst.'

NO disagreement but as good as the BIG 12 is during the season, it would be nice to see better results in the post-season.

Catherine Barnes 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Catherine Barnes 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Jay Scott 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Vick and Newman are returning. Graham is more likely to return than leave IMHO.

Why would a One and Done mentality PG pick Kansas?

A 6'7-6'8 wing or a PF is a higher priority.

Harlan Hobbs 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Although Devonte's status may be up in the air, I certainly agree with both Jay and Mick. We will not be lacking for guards. The key will be up front, since this is Landen's last year and Carlton will likely declare for the draft.

Having Udoka back should be huge (hopefully likewise for Dwight and Mitch), but Coach Self has always stressed the importance of "the bigs". Therefore, that needs to be the first priority, in my opinion. See Jay, I can't even manage to call myself "humble."

Harlan Hobbs 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Yes, Jay, I know. Actually, I think we agree on most things and about 95% of the time, so I appreciate the gentle banter. You can take your tongue out of your cheek now.