Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Tyriek Starks running scout team for now and running it well

Kansas freshman QB Tyriek Starks

Kansas freshman QB Tyriek Starks

Kansas second-year football coach David Beaty did not name his quarterback for Saturday’s Oklahoma State game, but it won’t be the possible quarterback of the future.

Tyriek Starks, a red-shirting freshman from New Orleans, will not play this season, “unless we have something crazy happen,” Beaty said.

No surprise there.

Starks runs the scout team in practice and will compete for the starting quarterback job in the spring.

“He’s the first guy that we recruited in the offense for the offense and he’s a talented guy,” Beaty said. “He’s got great feet. He can move. He will add another dimension to our offense, which will be good, but he can throw it. He can sling it.”

Beaty wants Starks to smooth out his rough edges before putting him in games. Plus, with half the season gone, why burn the red-shirt on a squad not competing for a bowl berth?

“He’s got some fundamental flaws that we’re trying to work out, but he’s gotten a lot better from the first day he got here,” Beaty said. “So we are excited about him.”

A 6-foot-1, 185-pound native of New Orleans, Starks was recruited to Kansas before Tony Hull, his head coach at Warren East High, was hired to replace Reggie Mitchell as KU’s running backs coach.

“I love his development and his attitude of wanting to perfect his technique, but also his command of the offense,” Hull said. “I can’t wait to see how he turns out within the next year.”

Defensive coordinator Clint Bowen said he has been impressed with Starks.

“He’s doing a nice job,” Bowen said. “He’s a kid who has some natural personality to him, energy. He’s a football guy, likes football. For a scout-team QB, you like guys to bring a little character.”

Bowen gave Starks equal grades as a runner and thrower.

Defensive tackle Daniel Wise called Starks, “a great young quarterback, great mind for the game, nice arm on him. We challenge him week after week to get him right for the next year or whenever he’s going to play, next game, who knows? He’s a nice young quarterback. He moves well and throws well.”

Beaty made it clear from the moment he became KU’s coach that he wants a dual-threat quarterback.

Faster than he is quick, Montell Cozart has not been sacked yet this season. Ryan Willis has been sacked 16 times. But neither quarterback has shown a skill for gaining yards as a runner.

Starks, according to Hull, is a legitimate dual-threat QB.

“He has the ability to get out of bad situations with his athletic ability, which I think is crucial,” Hull said. “He definitely knows how to use his speed. He’s not a straight-line speed type of guy. He’s quick and he’s agile. He’s able to make people miss in space. That’s another tool he can use to become successful as a quarterback.”

Fifth-year senior Tevin Shaw has competed against several scout-team quarterbacks at Kansas.

“His strength is in both running and passing,” Shaw said. “He’s a good runner, instinctual, but he doesn’t always look for the run. He’ll scramble to throw as well as scramble to run.”

Georgia Southern, New Mexico State and Tulane were among the schools recruiting Starks.

None of that matters now.

“We just have to see how he develops the rest of the season, and it’s going to show in the spring when that competition truly opens up,” Hull said.

Comments

Michael Maris 5 years ago

We can for sure hope. Time will tell about Starks though.

Good luck Starks.

Ashwin Rao 5 years ago

So you are saying that there is hope? :)

Gerry Butler 5 years ago

I feel there is definite hope with Starks. I've been saying this since the beginning of the year - -hell even after we signed him. He is exactly type of QB we need for this supposed offensive attack. But like they say Don't dare pull a redshirt off him now for sure. Suffer the rest of the season, truly believe he is our QB in the future

David Kemp 5 years ago

Wow for as little as Willis has played 16 sacks and tntc turnovers, the future of the qb at Kansas has to be a guy like starks.

Jeff Coffman 5 years ago

Mangino ripped the red-shirt off of Reesing too early, although I'm very thankful for those Reesing years, who would know how that one more year would have worked out.

I'm hoping that Beaty is patient and keeps the Red-shirt. I do however believe that no matter the QB, you have to have an offensive line.

Joe Ross 5 years ago

RE:

Consider:

"We sittin' in here...and we in here talkin' about practice. I mean listen, we talkin bout practice. Not a game, not a game, not a game. We talkin bout practice. Not a game, not a, not a, not the game...Not the game. We talkin' bout practice, man. I mean how silly is that? We talkin' bout practice."

...........

In seriousness, Beaty had high praise for Cozart,too. Nothing against Tyriek, but you'll forgive me for skepticism about the head coach's evalutation of the performance of his QBs, who is their supposed position coach by the way. I'm hopeful about Starks, yes (as any fan would have to be at this point, considering 8 years without an effective QB), but I'll wait to see results on the field, thank you very much.

Michael Maris 5 years ago

Joe, you statement is exactly what I was meaning behind my initial comments (as well). Have to wait and see what the kid can bring to the table.

I'll say this, Cozart and Willis are Weis recruits. So, we've yet to really see what the quality of the QB recruits that Coach Beaty and his staff are bringing in.

Yeah, Carter Stanley is a Beaty & Staff recruit. But, we've not really seen what he's capable of. And, if he's not able to beat out Cozart or Willis, then that's not a good sign.

By the way, what happened to the walk-on Texas QB who came in with Keegan Brewer (from the same High School)? I don't even see his name on the roster.

Speaking of Roster, can someone at KUSports.com PLEASE update the roster on the Mobile Site. When, I check from my phone, the depth chart still shows Michael Cumming and a host of former Jayhawks on the depth chart. As well, the roster (on the mobile site) still displays the former players as well.

I have no idea as to why the mobile site is different from the desk / lap-top site. But, the mobile site is different.

Respectfully,

Gerry Butler 5 years ago

The difference between Starks and Cozart is like night and day thank you very much lmao

Joe Ross 5 years ago

Well I haven't seen him (Starks) play so I can't offer an informed opinion; nevertheless, your intuition is probably not far off.

Robert Williams 5 years ago

Time will tell he has the passion for the game and ability to learn to take command of the offensive unit . Let him sit out and learn more about the system he is playing in he isn't ready to be thrown in to the wolves just yet . He is a great talent but let's groom him up a bit more and let him go through this season which should be a learning and building process for him . Go JayHawks and good luck TJ

Titus Canby 5 years ago

Need a dual-threat quarterback? Bring back Brock Berglund.

Larry Jackson 5 years ago

You mean the QB charged with assault in Colo? The same guy who sat on red shirt scholarship for 1 year at KU before bolting because of position competition? The guy who also washed out at N. Texas? He's a dual threat but not in the manner you thank.

Tracy L. Cauley 5 years ago

This article has prompted me to post a comment which I rarely do. Every since watching his High School film I have promoted him as the guy who will be playing QB when the Jayhawks become good. Pull up his high school highlights and watch it and you will be too. Watch how he runs to throw head up looking down field. Watch when he does throw downfield how receivers don't have to wait for the ball when he throws it deep. Check out the touch on some of the corner routes. Now I know it is a highlight reel, but there are enough of these type plays to make you think he is a real talent and hopefully with real top flight coaching he can become the QB we need to be good. I predict 2018 we will go to a bowl game with Tyriek at QB.

Terry N Tom Denner 5 years ago

How about a Coach that knows how to coach QB's and also have enough brains to hire an OC to call the offense. Dual threat QB ?? Why the hell not just let Stanley Carter take over. What do you have to loose Bean Brain Beaty ? Tom

Joe Ross 5 years ago

Brah got some nice teeth though! Could do Crest commercials if this whole football..."thing"...doesn't work out.