Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Juco D-lineman KeyShaun Simmons commits to Kansas

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

With the 2016 season complete and Kansas football coaches out on the recruiting trail searching for more talent to add to the roster, David Beaty received some good news Wednesday when one of the rebuilding program’s targets called the head coach to commit to KU.

Beaty tweeted out his signature “#NeatDeal” — as he does every time a prospect decides to join the Jayhawks — upon hearing from KeyShaun Simmons, a 6-foot-3, 270-pound defensive lineman from Pearl River Community College, in Poplarville, Miss.

Simmons, a sophomore on schedule to graduate at the end of this semester, told Jon Kirby of Jayhawk Slant he initiated communication with the Kansas staff and sent his video highlights to the coaches to get his recruitment rolling.

“(Defensive line coach Michael) Slater got my film and he evaluated it,” Simmons told Jayhawk Slant. “After that he showed it to a lot of the other coaches. After that they got in contact with me and I talked to Coach Slater on the phone. It was the day after my birthday and Coach Slater said he was going to come see me. He told me he likes how physical I am and how I get off the ball. He also said he likes how I get after the quarterback.”

Slater traveled down to Mississippi to meet with Simmons in person earlier this week, and the defensive lineman, who said he can play inside or outside, committed to Beaty by phone Wednesday.

“I talked to coach Beaty,” Simmons said. “I told him I am ready to commit. I liked all of the coaches I talked to and I think I will like the atmosphere there. I’m just ready to get there and help them get the program turned around.”

The juco transfer joins a group that has to be considered KU’s best for 2017, with Dorance Armstrong Jr., Daniel Wise and DeeIsaac Davis returning. Still, Kansas needed to add some defensive line depth once three-star defensive tackle Zach McKinney rescinded his commitment just weeks after agreeing to join the program, in essence creating an opening in the recruiting class.

Rivals.com hasn’t assessed any stars to Simmons, who also had offers from Jackson State, Murray State, Tennessee-Martin and Texas Southern, as well as some interest from Memphis.

Comments

John Fitzgerald 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I believe Zach McKinney decommitted. Can you confirm?

John Fitzgerald 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I thought so. And it looks like his name has been removed from the article now.

Benton Smith 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Yes. That's correct. McKinney not attached to any program at this moment. Thanks!

Brett McCabe 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Odd that McKinney decommitted only two weeks after committing, and after the win vs. Texas and competitive showing in Manhattan. Something tells me that another Texas school came after him after his KU announcement.

Such is the life of a 2-10 program. We have to find 2-star athletes who are better than the other guys' 3-star athletes.

John Fitzgerald 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Well if the guy is still interested Beaty will continue to work on him. And if not he'll move on and find another guy just like him or better. The guy can recruit, that much is obvious.

Dirk Medema 5 months, 3 weeks ago

It's great and par for the course that he will be here in January. It's also nice that he can play inside or out. That would seem even more important with moving Dorance around to keep the Os guessing. A few January JCs to compliment the HS recruits is perfect.

Brett McCabe 5 months, 3 weeks ago

January arrival is huge: 8 months of our strength program, plus spring ball.

Looked up Simmons and he also played varsity basketball in high school, which suggests that he has some agility and coordination that may have shown up on the film that Slater watched.

Welcome to Larryville Mr. Simmons.

Dirk Medema 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Benton - Will you or one of the other writers be doing anything like a state of the roster article?

Scholarship players leaving.

Walkons receiving scholarships and how that counts against the annual limit.

Where we expect to be relative to the 85 program limit for 2017. (Were for 2016, 2015?)

Maybe also #s by class and position?

I've done some of this on my own based on the roster and recollection but realize there is plenty that I just don't know about that you all probably do. also there are other readers that recognizing that the end of the season has many more excited for the future of football at KU than there's been for quite some time.

Thanks for all you do for us.

Benton Smith 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Thanks, Dirk. Something of that nature is definitely on my offseason to-do list.

Dyrk Dugan 5 months, 3 weeks ago

McKinney backing out is tough; we're still on his list though per Rivals, and usually this late in the game, you decommit and them commit elsewhere else...so still some hope. My question is, where are the LBs? Is this program ever going to recruit 6-2 240 lb. plus ILBs? Maciah Long would break the drought but he's already been switched to TE and his redshirt was blown; this program will never get to where it wants to go, unless the Nick Reids, Mike Riveras and Joe Mortensens of the world start getting developed. All the pressure is on the Dinesen boys and that's not fair to them.

Richard Duran 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Big hosses like Rivera need to be FAST to play the spreads and air raids and chuck and ducks in the BIG 12. the 6'2" 240+ LB may be going the way of the dodo. We need to do what Miami Fl. did in the 80s, turn safeties into LBs and LBs into DEs to maximize the speed. Look at all the hybrid guys running around the NFL, Mathieu, Deonn Buchannon, Su'a Cravens; those are the guys we need, slightly bigger versions of Mike Lee or the 2nd coming of Heeney. Lonecker may be exactly what we need.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Nice! Welcome to the Jayhawk Nation. Hopefully this signing is an overlooked gem.

Ryan Ferree 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Keep filling out that roster, after losing 25 seniors we desperately need to sign the max this year. Glad to add this athletic big man.

Dirk Medema 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I believe we've signed the max (25) each year though some arrive early such as the 2 'bama transfers.

Also some of the 25 seniors were walkons so we should still be getting closer to 85. Probably in the low 70s though I'm not sure how it works with awarding scholarships to walkons. I think most of the OL starters had been walkons.