Kansas defeats Texas, 24-21

• 2:30 p.m., Nov. 19, 2016
  • Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Sweet, sweet victory: Jayhawks earn comeback win over Texas, 24-21 in OT

Kansas head coach David Beaty gets a hug from Kansas volleyball head coach Ray Bechard following the Jayhawks' 24-21 overtime upset of Texas on Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016 at Memorial Stadium. Saturday's victory was Beaty's first Big 12 coaching win. Bechard's volleyball team clinched a share of the Big 12 conference title with a win against Iowa State earlier in the day.

After enduring week after week of emotions ranging from anger to disappointment to disgust, second-year Kansas football coach David Beaty and his Jayhawks immersed themselves in a sea of bliss Saturday night at Memorial Stadium, where many of the 25,673 in attendance greeted them with hugs, high-fives and selfie requests in the moments following a thrilling, 24-21 overtime victory over Texas.

Once senior kicker Matt Wyman drilled his second crunch-time field goal of the final minutes, every soul wearing crimson and blue felt the density of not just a nine-game losing streak this season, but also a 19-game Big 12 losing streak dating back to 2014, vaporize.

“My teammates just rushed me,” Wyman said of his game-winning 25-yard field goal in overtime, “and I got to celebrate with my teammates and all those fans. It was awesome.”

Few could comprehend what the victory meant for Beaty, who entered the weekend winless in conference play and 1-21 as KU’s head coach. He witnessed his fortunes begin to change over the course of the fourth quarter and the lone extra period, and that elusive conference win really seemed tangible once a true freshman who couldn’t get on the field a few months back broke on a Shane Buechele pass.

Two untimed downs after KU won the OT coin toss and elected to open on defense, Beaty had a perfect view from behind the Longhorns (5-6 overall, 3-5 Big 12) as safety Mike Lee all but won the game with an interception, the third pick of the game and sixth takeaway by the Kansas defense. Beaty noticed Lee’s eyes grew larger than he’d ever seen and then the freshman from New Orleans tried to end the game himself, returning his interception 35 yards.

“I thought he did a really nice job of trying to get it and got really close to getting out,” Beaty said of Lee, who also contributed 11 solo tackles and a pass breakup in the upset. “And then I thought our offense did a really good job from that point, driving the ball down the middle of the field to put it in position and give Wyman a decent angle to kick the ball.”

None of those scenarios seemed possible as late as the fourth quarter, with Kansas (2-9, 1-7) trailing 21-10. With more than 10 minutes left in regulation, the offense had only produced six first downs. Then redshirt freshman quarterback Carter Stanley took off on a passing play for a 20-yard run and everything began to change.

“It sparked us,” Beaty said. “The thing about it is when we can get him going in tempo it helps. But you’ve gotta string first downs together to do that.”

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

David Beaty talks about 24-21 victory over Texas, fans rushing the field

After earning his first Big 12 victory, Kansas football coach David Beaty talked about his team's 24-21 win in overtime against Texas, the fans rushing the field and how happy he is for his players.

Download podcast

Suddenly, Texas couldn’t stop KU. Another true freshman, Khalil Herbert, hit Texas with a 15-yard run for another first down. Over the next few minutes, Stanley (21-for-42 passing, 220 yards, one interception) connected three times with sophomore receiver Steven Sims Jr. (seven receptions, 79 yards) for first downs and Herbert capped a 10-play, 80-yard drive with a one-yard rushing touchdown.

“I think that scramble of Carter, that was a big play for us. We really needed it,” Sims said. “… He just made a play with his feet and that was a big momentum shift for us.”

From there, Sims kept the ball on a reverse to pull off a two-point conversion. KU only trailed 21-18 with 7:48 to play and a previously lifeless offense had revived a downtrodden team.

The Jayhawks’ defense, which in the first half took the ball away from Texas on four straight possessions, elevated its play in the clutch, too. With Texas driving and riding star running back D’Onta Foreman (51 rushes, 250 yards, two touchdowns) following KU’s first offensive score, sophomore fill-in linebacker Denzel Feaster forced a fumble recovered by KU senior Cameron Rosser.

The Kansas offense didn’t capitalize and turned the ball over on downs, but the defense again proved to be the team’s strength with a four-and-out in the final minutes, highlighted by sophomore linebacker Keith Loneker Jr.’s fourth-down tackle of Foreman that kept the stud runner short of the line of gain. Fittingly, Loneker led KU with 16 total tackles, a career-high.

With less than a minute left, Stanley completed three passes of a 52-yard drive to senior running back Ke’aun Kinner, setting Wyman up for a 36-yard field goal with seven seconds left that sent the game to OT.

“What resilient dudes those guys are,” Beaty said. “They have continued to work through some really, really difficult situations. And I've said it before, I feel like we got the right type of kids in our program. They kept fighting, they got us a chance to win the game, and they were able to seal the deal there at the end.”

In fact, the game had blowout defeat written all over it one play in. Before the KU seniors could as much as dry the tears from their cheeks following a pre-game ceremony involving their families, Texas had gone 75 yards for a touchdown on the first play from scrimmage. Safety Fish Smithson missed Jacorey Warrick in the open field on a quick pass just beyond the line of scrimmage and the senior Longhorns receiver won a 70-yard foot race to the end zone to put KU down seven points a mere 11 seconds into the home finale.

“We just stuck together,” said Smithson, who finished with 12 total tackles, a tackle for loss and an interception. “I went around and told everybody that was my fault and everything, missing that tackle on the first play of the game, putting us in a bad situation to start. But everybody kept me up and I kept them up also. We was going one play at a time.”

The defense recovered to the tune of 10 straight scoreless Texas possessions. Senior corner Brandon Stewart really ignited KU’s hopes with a 55-yard interception return for a touchdown that tied the game at 7 in the second quarter. That came after a Dorance Armstrong Jr. strip-sack and Feaster recovery and a Smithson pick, and before an Armstrong fumble recovery of a Rosser strip.

“You’ve gotta give credit to our defensive line,” Stewart said. “Those guys were in there working. They was rattling the QB (Buechele, 17-for-26, 165 yards), they was rattling the running game, and without them we probably wouldn’t have made any of those plays. You’ve just got to give credit to them to make the QB rattled and throw some kind of errant passes. It felt good.”

For once delight ruled the day for the Jayhawks, who defeated Texas for the first time since 1938.

Said Loneker, a Lawrence native who starred at Free State High: “That’s the best feeling I’ve had as a KU player and probably the best feeling I’ve had after a game ever in my whole career. That was pretty sweet.”

Added Armstrong, following his mammoth 11-tackle, two-sack showing: “It means a lot. Coach Beaty got teared up a little bit. Probably a lot of coaches got teared up a little bit. Coaches were dancing to our music. We never see that. It was just a good vibe the entire time we were in there.”

Before Beaty and company turned their attention to Kansas State and the coming season finale in Manhattan, they couldn’t help dwelling on the on-field aftermath of the program’s first overtime victory since 2005.

“Our guys truly want to win,” KU’s head coach said, “to make their fans, the students here, their fan base, their stakeholders, they want them to be happy. They’ve gone through a lot. To see those fans down there, I saw so many great supporters of our university that were out there that, I mean, it felt good to give them a hug and thank ’em — with a win.”

— See what people were saying about the game during KUsports.com's live coverage.

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Texas

Comments

John Strayer 7 months, 1 week ago

Bummer. I was a week early to KU's first Big XII victory since 2014. If only they could have found a way to beat ISU we'd be talking about a KU Big XII win streak. Congratulations Seniors! Congratulations Jayhawks!

Dirk Medema 7 months, 1 week ago

Great win, and should pay dividends down the line - especially with recruiting. I'm guessing this won't be received very well for Charlie's sake, so between that and BU's implosion ("though they've done nothing wrong") it could really open TX recruiting for at least one year.

Bill Pitcher 7 months, 1 week ago

Best extend Coach Beaty's contract before UT hires him.

Cliff Leiker 7 months, 1 week ago

What a fantastic win for the Jayhawk nation. I noticed the offense was more effective in the passing game over the middle. I wish the OC would start calling plays to our strength and focus on that. I thought Carter looked good. I thought the OC looked bad making the QB throw to the outside on the long side of the field. Either the QB needs to practice that throw more to get better at it or the OC needs to stop calling it. Nonetheless, great win fellas. Go Hawks. RCJH.

Joe Ross 7 months, 1 week ago

I think ALL of our wins against conference foes in the post-Mangino era have come against cellar dwellars in the conference. I dont think Texas qualifies as that even in a year they are struggling, and so I have to say congratulations to Beaty for securing a signature win. Does this indicate that Kansas is turning the corner? I think it would be a mistake to conclude that against the background of such positive emotion, but Ill take being "competitive" as a consolation under any circumstance. Kansas has been competitive in 4 games this year, and won 2 of them. If we doubled that number next year (those games that we were competitive in) Id take that. I will say, though, that Beaty still hasnt proven to me that he's the guy long-term for Kansas. I think he's moving the program in the right direction, yes; but others may have done it more efficiently. Im open to being wrong, though. Would like to see a competitive game against KState.

Brett McCabe 7 months, 1 week ago

A good summary of where we are.

Beaty needs an O.C. - it would be a sign of a head coach who is growing up. I did see some better play-calling; the shovel pass, the trick play on the 2pt conversion, balanced by plenty of shake-your-head moments; almost getting a safety, again, on three plays inside our own 5, wasting a timeout to bring out and then retrieve the punt team, etc.

Bottom line, on six t.o.'s, we scored one offensive touchdown - against the 8th-ranked scoring defense in the conference. Room for improvement? You might say that.

It was a great, great win. One of the best defensive performances I've seen by KU in years, some clutch offensive plays and some really clutch kicking. RCJHK!

David Kemp 7 months, 1 week ago

Agree now that we have all settled down reality is we still avg 17 ppg exclude Rhode Island. Today was about defense. A new or improved offense is necessary and needs plays for a qb to run and tight end to get busy. Basic pieces are there. We must make that next step.

Andy Tweedy 7 months, 1 week ago

I'm not sure I agree that basic pieces are there. The OL needs a lot of help, I sure hope this Bama transfer can play. I'd love to hear a tape guy tell us who on this OL has the promise to help this unit turn the corner, because we need some help there badly. Until we can do that, we'll just be wasting what I think are pretty good RBs and WRs.

David Kemp 7 months, 1 week ago

I agree I was more referring to the skilled positions, but I do think utilizing tight end would help o line.

Joe Joseph 7 months, 1 week ago

The way in which Kansas won this game is what gives me hope for the future. Kansas had to come from behind and make game winning plays late. It sure grew tiring watching Kansas blow every opportunity it has had the past few years. Not this game. Beaty deserves much credit for that. Not so much for his play calling (which was still questionable and dumbfounding at moments), but for the discipline and desire to compete he has clearly instilled in his players.

Steve Macy 7 months, 1 week ago

Record aside, you know you're bad when you beat an opponent and their coach, already on the hot seat, is toast. Great way to end the streak. RCJH

Joe Joseph 7 months, 1 week ago

My hope for this season, as I'm sure it was for most reasonable fans, was for KU to be competitive against the bottom half of the Big 12, while also knowing that wins would be unlikely.

Three close games against TCU, Iowa State and Texas (including one win!) and I'm feeling pretty positive about the future of the program. A competitive game against K-State, however unlikely that may be, and I'll be very excited for next season.

Expectations for next season:

• 2 non conference wins
  • 2 Big 12 wins (and at least one road win!)
  • Competitive in 50% of losing efforts

Ben Kane 7 months, 1 week ago

glad to see someone still has there head on. sure, great win, no doubt. it doesn't mean we are going to win the big12 next year.

we need to continue straight line improvement and hope to be in more games in the fourth quarter next year.

Brent Held 7 months, 1 week ago

This defense that we are going to have at least for the next two years has me very excited. I don't know that Carter Stanley is the answer as he really didn't look too impressive in my opinion. I think it'd be interesting if we get the former Washington State QB and see what he can do. Also, does anyone think that this win will get Reggie Roberson to recommit?

Gerry Butler 7 months, 1 week ago

UMMM, this Washington State QB does NOT impress me, I hope he doesn't commit. from what I read in the limited time he played of D-1 games was NOT very impressive. more int's then td's - - -sure in JUCO he had numbers - - huge difference between JUCO and D-1. I think Carter and our red shirt that has sit this season should and will be the one's in spring battling for the starting QB. Cozart not the option & have heard rumors Willis might transfer out. Carter has been adequate and I STILL believe our future QB is the red shirt from everything I've heard. - -just not sold AT ALL with this Washington St QB there is a reason he transferred out - -he wasn't making the Grade there

Andy Godwin 7 months, 1 week ago

So happy for the seniors and the entire team. It was great to see Wyman being lifted above the crowd by his teammates during the celebration. The atmosphere was wonderful at the end of the game (except for the students challenging and bumping the police officers assigned to protect the goal posts) with the players and students celebrating. It is still hard to believe that KU somehow pulled it out, when the offense struggled so mightily. The defense persevered and kept them into the game with play after play until the offense FINALLY put a drive together in the 4th quarter. When Beaty sent the punt team on to the field with 2 minutes and change and then called a time out, I thought here we go again. But today, KU beat a much more talented Texas team, who have their own coaching issues (will be interested to see if Strong is fired before their last game). The videos on the ESPN site showing the KU players and coaches celebrating and the Texas players in disbelief (and #90 angry and yelling at his own teammates), explains why it is fun to be on the winning side and to take down the once mighty Longhorns. Congratulations, now finish with a strong showing in Manhattan. Go, fight, win!

David Robinett 7 months, 1 week ago

Guys, remember Carter Stanley is a red shirt freshman in only his second start. And he connected on three passes and made a play with his feet in the game-winning drive. That's much better than what we've seen in years.

Still, everybody needs competition so having that with Tyriek Starks next year, and maybe another recruit will be just fine.

how about Mike Lee!? Historically our KU secondary player would've dropped that interception when it hit him in the hands. We're getting a new kind of recruit. Let's continue to raid Louisiana!

Bob Bailey 7 months, 1 week ago

SOME of our coaches are doing the right thing! Mostly the position coaches on the defensive staff. It is obvious we need a new OC. It has been obvious we need a new DC; position playing is much improved but they still can't tackle and the Defensive Scheme leaves them out of position. No hope for the change as long as Zenger is here.

Bryce Landon 7 months, 1 week ago

If anyone wants to ram some crow down my throat, I won't try to stop you. After we lost to Iowa State last week, I posted on this site that I was done with KU football because no progress was being made. Yesterday, progress was made. So I want to apologize to David Beaty, the team, and the rest of you KU fans for giving up prematurely on the Kansas Jayhawks football program. So come at me, guys. My mouth is wide open. Give me what I deserve.