Monday, November 7, 2016

5-star wing Troy Brown picks Oregon over Kansas

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Another Class of 2017 target for the Kansas men’s basketball program chose to play his college basketball elsewhere on Monday, when five-star small forward Troy Brown announced that he was headed to Oregon.

Brown, a 6-foot-6, 195-pound wing from Las Vegas who is ranked No. 12 in the 2017 class by Rivals.com, told Rivals’ analyst Eric Bossi that his comfort with the Ducks’ coaching staff played a big part in his decision.

“At the end of the day the thing that made them stand out over the other schools was the coaching staff," Brown told Rivals.com. "I had a lot of options but at the end of the day I was comfortable with the coaching staff and I was confident in them and how they would let me play and I really felt a lot of trust in Coach (Dana) Altman.”

Brown, the younger brother of KU women's player Jada Brown, was in Lawrence several times to see his sister and made his official visit to KU the weekend of Late Night in the Phog.

Several other prospects, from multiple classes, were in that same weekend and the heavy guest list may have cost Kansas and kept Brown from feeling a strong connection to Lawrence and the KU program like he did in Eugene, Oregon.

“The environment was great," Brown said of Oregon. "The key thing was that I was really comfortable and I could see myself there. The way they take care of their players felt like it would be good for me. Then the players, just talking to them, I felt like they were really honest and hearing their experiences really helped a lot.”

With Brown now out of the mix, KU will turn its attention to the looming decision by five-star point guard Collin Sexton, who is expected to announce his choice (many analysts think it's between KU and Alabama) on Thursday.

Thus far, the Jayhawks still have just one commitment in the 2017 class — Dallas combo guard Marcus Garrett — and the early signing period opens Wednesday.

Comments

Joe Ross 7 months, 2 weeks ago

...and wings. The kind you dont get at Hooters.

Ryan Zimmerman 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Ugh- was pulling for Brown. Kinda thought we had a good shot... We need someone soon. Young, Diallo. Somebody to commit to get this thing going

Waylon Cook 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Do they still have that God awful floor?

Marius Rowlanski 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Ugliest court I've ever seen - including playgrounds.

Ben Kane 7 months, 2 weeks ago

yup, Self has clearly lost it. fire him now!

Brett McCabe 7 months, 2 weeks ago

yup, that's what he was saying. you're an idiot.

Jay Scott 7 months, 2 weeks ago

When you make fun of Chicken Little lunacy, no matter how slight, you can count on the total kooks to lash out..

Suzi Marshall 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm far less concerned about losing Brown than normally.

The Deppe vs NCAA Antitrust lawsuit (www.bgsfirm.com/college-sports-law-bl...) will be heard soon. If Peter Deppe (the Plaintiff) wins, which I suspect he will, the entire recruiting process will flip, this year.

Why sign high school kids, who are usually immature, when elite teams can recruit proven collegiate players. For that matter, why even recruit the OADs, unless they are of the Wiggins/Embiid stature? For the most part, the OADs don't contribute that much and don't 'unpack' their bags. Why sign an 18 year old kid when you can bring in a 21 year old, proven on the collegiate level.

Glen Miller 7 months, 2 weeks ago

This is more than likely a playing time thing....... He comes here he's playing 12-15 minutes a game max. He goes to Oregon he's probably hitting no less than 20 a game and possibly starting. We're loaded at guard for a few years anyways. I would have like to have had him, but in all honesty, he's not a miss I'm concerned with.

Vernon Riggs 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Not only play time but where he is playing. "how they would let me play". He sees himself as a point guard in the NBA. He want to play point guard at the NCAA level. He wasn't sure that he was going to bring the ball up the court at Kansas. He went somewhere where they would adapt their style to his skills. He wasn't going to get that at Kansas. Until he knew what Devonte, Vick and Svi are going to do, Kansas was too much of a risk for him.

Ryan Zimmerman 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Sexton is going to Bama... might as well just prepare for that announcement too

Tyler Capone 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Haha oh Ben nobody with brains is saying that but it's still a noteworthy concern

Marius Rowlanski 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't think he would have gotten nearly the playing time at KU than at Oregon. Really need to find a 4 more than anything else.

Missing out on DeAndre Ayton was a big hit but Self always does better in the Spring. Still can't figure the lure for bigs to play at Arizona.I think our shi**y Conference may possibly be a factor in the near future..

Stephen Dobelbower 7 months, 2 weeks ago

ChickenS#&@ decision by a non competitor. Frank Mason S$#@t bigger than this recruit.

Robert Brock 7 months, 2 weeks ago

He's a good-passing 3 who is a good athlete but can't shoot worth a darn. I watched him play several EYBL games in which his opponents dropped back and dared him to shoot. It turned out to be a good strategy.