Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Report: Knee injury sidelines Wayne Selden Jr. for combine

Kansas guard Wayne Selden Jr. (1) drives between Harvard guard Tommy McCarthy (3) and guard Agunwa Okolie (35) during the first half, Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Wayne Selden Jr. won’t be able to impress NBA coaches and executives with his on-court skills this week at the league’s draft combine, in Chicago.

According to a Yahoo report, Selden, who left Kansas a year early and signed with an agent, will only participate in interviews and medical examinations at the combine.

Yahoo’s Shams Charania reported Tuesday afternoon that Selden recently underwent a procedure to repair a “small” meniscus tear in his right knee, forcing him to sit out of basketball drills at the combine.

According to the report, Selden, who averaged 13.8 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.6 assists in his final season with the Jayhawks, played with the injury during a portion of his junior year.

Selden, a 6-foot-5 guard projected by many draft experts as a second-round pick, will still have individual workouts with NBA teams in the weeks to come, according to Yahoo.

— Read the full Yahoo report here: Surgery shelves Selden

Comments

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 1 month ago

Bad break for Selden. Now that we are hearing he played with the injury some of this year, presumably the last portion of the year, that makes everyone one of Selden's 3 years he played with an injury. NBA GM's have got to wonder if Selden's body, regardless of his physical appearance, isn;t cut out for the NBA, which plays +82 games per year.

Tim Orel 4 years, 1 month ago

Reminds me of Brandon Rush, who was going to declare early and was getting ready for the draft but then tore his knee up, returned to Kansas instead (he hadn't signed with an agent) and won a national championship before leaving. Ah, Wayne, had you not signed your future away just yet...

Bert White 4 years, 1 month ago

I was just thinking the same thing. Is there really an advantage to signing early? He was likely already going to get invited to the combine so I don't see how much an agent could help him this early on in the process aside from I guess paying travel expenses? Hopefully all will work out for him in the end though, it was a pleasure to watch him play.

KJ Quartermaine 4 years, 1 month ago

Seems pretty clear that Wayne signed early with an agent because he had ZERO intentions of coming back for a senior campaign. Even if the NBA didn't work out, he was going D-League or overseas. In his mind he was fully committed to the NBA Draft, so he didn't see an issue with signing an agent. Turns out Chieck is smarter

Benny Armstrong 4 years, 1 month ago

I feel badly for Wayne that this happened when it did/at all, and that he isn't going to have the chance to prove himself at the combine, but he still should have time to workout for teams individually. This may also help him in the long run because someone may draft him for a future need and allow him to come along instead of being thrown in to sink or swim right away. Pure speculation, but certainly a possibility.

Don't disagree that this reminds me of Rush and his situation, from which we both benefited greatly. He played a key role in the title run and helped his pro stock from that season, but I think Wayne made the right decision at the time not only for himself but also us. He was coming off a pretty good season with some amazing highs and I don't know if his draft stock would have improved that much with another year at KU. Further, had he not declared and signed with an agent when he did, perhaps we aren't looking at having Josh Jackson on the team this fall. His leaving and making it final by signing with an agent freed up a ton of minutes on the wing that would allow Josh to come in and fill that void right away. Even if Wayne were returning and we somehow also got Josh, I'm skeptical that it would have worked out well for them or the team. Wayne consistently struggled his freshman and sophomore seasons when we had a long athletic 3 that forced him to play out of position at the 2. The roster logistics of having both would be really hard for Self to work out... Does he play Wayne at the 2 and sit Graham losing a solid ballhandler, or does he play Wayne at the 3/Josh at 4 and sit a big? I don't want to give the impression that I was glad to see Wayne leave because I really liked having him at KU, but I think it was best for us that he did. I wish him the best and hope he gets picked up by a good franchise and has a long career.

Greg Lux 4 years, 1 month ago

A small meniscus tear/repair is minor surgery. ( "Knee arthroscopy is a surgical technique that can diagnose and treat problems in the knee joint. During the procedure, your surgeon will make a very small incision and insert a tiny camera — called an arthroscope — into your knee. This allows them to view the inside of the joint on a screen." ) Recovery is very quick and having had similar surgery myself I walked out of the Day Surgery building about 30 minutes after the procedure. A meniscus tear is a low pain problem that does not require immediate surgery so I wonder why he chose this time to have the treatment done. He must have believed that missing the Combine would not be a big problem for his chances in the draft. If he knew about the tear during the season why not get it repaired immediately following the Tournament? Sounds like he just found out recently so it obviously was not giving him big problems during the season or they could have xrayed it and seen the tear during the season. My best guess is Selden didn't believe the Combine was going to move him into the first round so get the knee fixed and wait for team workouts and summer league. Best of luck Wayne I hope you get your dreams to come true soon. Thanks for being part of our Jayhawk Family...