Monday, March 28, 2016

Cheick Diallo plans on entering NBA Draft, Self tells Journal-World

At this time he's not hiring an agent

Kansas forward Cheick Diallo (13) pulls up for a jumper over TCU forward Vladimir Brodziansky (10) and guard Michael Williams (2) during the second half, Saturday, Jan. 16, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University freshman forward Cheick Diallo’s mentor told coach Bill Self today that the 6-foot-9 Mali native would declare for the 2016 NBA Draft.

“I spoke with Tidiane (Drame, mentor of Diallo) today. He informed me Cheick plans to declare at this time and not hire an agent,” Self told the Journal-World. “This certainly comes as no surprise,” Self added.

Self had no further comment.

Sources tell the Journal-World that Diallo is expected to stay in the draft.

Under a new NBA rule, players can declare for the draft and, if invited, attend the NBA Combine and also work out with one team. If a player does not sign with an agent, he can withdraw his name from the draft by May 25.

Don't like what you hear? You have until then to pull out and return to school for the following season. Again, that's provided you do not hire an agent, which, according to Self, is the route Diallo is going.

DraftExpress.com lists Diallo as the No. 36 pick in its latest 2016 Mock Draft, updated Sunday. The same mock draft lists Selden at No. 41 and Ellis at No. 59. All three are second-round slots.

Self said he had not spoken with Diallo and did not know when he would speak with various players about their plans.

“I’ve got to go to Houston for the Final Four,” Self said. “I don’t know if anything will be done in the next few days.”

Comments

KJ Quartermaine 3 years, 9 months ago

Glad to see that Cheick is wise enough not to hire an agent

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 9 months ago

Why should he when he has a 'mentor.' What a joke.

It work irk me to get a call from a 'mentor' rather than a face-to-face talk. Sounds to me Diallo has no interest in talking to Self and by extension zipo interest in returning to Kansas. So much for that $100 k well spent.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 9 months ago

Self had no interest in playing Diallo. Maybe Selden had more important things to take care of first.;

Rob Bedford III 3 years, 9 months ago

Opens the door for Thon Maker if he leaves.

Glen Miller 3 years, 9 months ago

No thank you...... Thon isn't even sure he'll be eligible and he's tiny. He won't stand up against college bigs and he'll be gone after a season so we wouldn't get Hudy's miracle work for year 2.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 3 years, 9 months ago

I know the draft is often based on potential and not production, but this still seems crazy to me. How can a guy who isn't even first off the bench on his college team go pro?
Good luck Cheick, but I hope you're just "testing the waters" and decide to stick around and develop for another year or two.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 9 months ago

Diallo would have played major minutes at another school. At KU, he was trapped between 2 and 3 year players and the minutes were hard to find. Self obviously wasn't concerned:

I would think it should be the other way, talking to his players first but maybe Self got a hold of some really good seats.

Pius Waldman 3 years, 9 months ago

Remember the draft is very high on potential. Physical features can help show the potential. Self was in a position where he had ability to use experienced players because the Diallo potential wasn't ready to perform. Pro teams can take the time for the potential to develop. Look for Diallo to not return even if he is a 2nd round pick.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 9 months ago

Diallo is gone. Good luck in the NBA or one of the other pro-leagues out there.

Kristen Downing 3 years, 9 months ago

Strange, he was supposedly tweeting the coach everyday and he can't tell him himself? Bit of a disconnect there.

Craig Alexander 3 years, 9 months ago

That seemed odd to me as well. This reveals a little more fractured of a relationship than the "Diallo has the best attitude about this whole situation."

Doug Longstaff 3 years, 9 months ago

Kinda get the feeling Bill's known this would be the case for a while. If a guy's got a chance to come back and help you next year, you might not mind some growing pains on the court while he learns the trade. If you know he's gone, and he's not ready to contribute, there's no point in letting him take up space on your court. Have we ever wasted more time and energy on a player (considering what it took to get him eligible) and got so little back in return?

Stephen H Hadley 3 years, 9 months ago

What a waste of resources; KU spent supposedly $100K just trying to get him eligible, doesn't include all the recruiting trips, etc.

KJ Quartermaine 3 years, 9 months ago

That 100K was not just about Cheick, it was about sending a message to the NCAA

Barry Weiss 3 years, 9 months ago

well this is a bummer. I'm convinced this kid could have been a 15 point per game, 10 rebound per game, 5 block shots per game player. Why not come back next year and get a contract based on going top 15 in the draft? You could tell back in January that he looked pretty bummed on the bench every game, not getting minutes. I think he just wants out and thinks coach may not even let him play much next year.

Steve Macy 3 years, 9 months ago

Smart decision for the young man. Impress them, or don't, and the decision will sort itself out. I am not sold on his basketball knowledge, but I am often wrong, his athleticism is unquestionable. RCJH, will be interesting to see how this off season progresses.

Armen Kurdian 3 years, 9 months ago

I was at first in favor of this rule that allows players to declare then withdraw. Now that I think about it, it's going to hurt more players than it helps. You're going to get more players declare, more agents take them on, and more of them are going to be left on the cutting room floor. I think CD is nuts to even try. If he does move on, it's no loss to us.

Craig Alexander 3 years, 9 months ago

I don't agree with the no loss to us comment. He would have 1 year in the program and be athletically gifted off the charts. He has the makings of being an outright beast next year given people can't double if Bragg can hit the jump shot from the top of the key. Huge loss IMHO.

Saad Saifeddine 3 years, 9 months ago

Wow! Diallo is getting some very bad advising. He's athletic and can run effortlessly but is so raw basketball-wise that he would destroy his career if he goes pro this summer. Only another year in college could help him develop his basketball IQ. He will have ZERO chance of doing that in the NBA where he will be "inactive : coach's decision" until he rots. I hope he does not make this mistake.

Gerry Butler 3 years, 9 months ago

Come on, you know unless you have been taking a nap this should not be a surprise at all. I mean you and I can both say it's a horrible decision and it is, but he said in the beginning or rumor was he was just for one year- - Then I'm sure frustration sit in for him, not touching the floor in the later stages, probably figures the hell with this, why should I come back for another year of this when I could be making a lot of money. - - kid has already probably gotten lots of bad advice, telling how good he is, how he IS READY, how he can make all kinds of money, at this point " D league at best " but you know how kids are, they all are thinking about that get rick quick scheme they don't really think.- - - BAD BAD decision if he stays in the NBA draft- - but life goes on - -and not surprised at all

Jack Hoff 3 years, 9 months ago

Here's some food for though. Would you guys like to see Selden and Diallo both move on and KU lands Jackson and Maker. Or would you prefer Selden and Diallo stay and KU gets neither?

Ashwin Rao 3 years, 9 months ago

Would love to have Selden back. I will not mind having Diallo back. I believe that "A bird in hand is worth two in the bush"! :)

Michael Lorraine 3 years, 9 months ago

Would rather have the latter. Veterans > than freshman.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 9 months ago

That's should be a 'no-brainer' for every KU Fan.

I'll take Selden and Diallo over any incoming freshman.

Actually, if you think about it, Selden returning could help Jackson and the team immensely. Self could play 4 around 1, with Selden and Jackson at the 4 and 3 or reversed.

Jay Scott 3 years, 9 months ago

Svi is the player that I most want to see return.

Doug Clark 3 years, 9 months ago

I am so sick of this potential bs the NBA and all their supposed draft experts sell to these young kids. I know he will be making money but is he really going to get better by sitting on the bench? The NBA plays so many games that I doubt their practices during the season are much more than shoot around and scouting reports on their next opponent, which means he is going to have to work on his skills and improvement on his own more than likely, but who knows if he even knows enough about what to work on. I selfishly would like to see him come back to ku and make a contribution to next year's team but even more than that I am worried he will get lost in the NBA and eventually be out of the league in a few short years. I am so freaking pissed the NBA continues to brainwash these young kids and continues to hurt the college game. Who freaking cares about the NBA, I can't watch that crap and all the one on one star based playing, I don't even consider that garbage real basketball. They have pushed so many young players to leave college early that were no where close to being ready and alot of them are no where to be found, and it hurts both college and the NBA but those jackas..s in the NBA could care less, it makes me sick.

Jay Scott 3 years, 9 months ago

....I'm so sick of all the hate and silliness about these kids and the NBA...What does the NBA "sell". He'll go to an eval camp and they'll tell him what they think of his game and if they would take him at their draft spot if he's available. Based on this, he'll decide.

There's no "selling".

If you were an engineering or business student and a company evaluated you and offered you a half million a year to start work before you finished your degree, you'd turn it down? No.

Craig Alexander 3 years, 9 months ago

Most of us would definitely take that opportunity. The one problem with this view though is if you offered that engineering student the full picture and say you can earn 500K the firat two years but there is a high probability that you will not pan out for us. This in turn will leave you with little money and unless you are the small percentage that invested half of your salary during those years then your earning potential without a degree is now only 30K a year. Not to mention that you will have to pay for your own education to increase your earning potential. Most engineers would see the huge risk.

When I see the overall risk, i wonder why any leave real early in their college career.

Jay Scott 3 years, 9 months ago

By "pan out" you mean play in the NBA. Ask Kieth Langford how badly he's been harmed by not playing in the NBA.

William Weissbeck 3 years, 9 months ago

Who would have thought that Cliff Alexander would have had more playing minutes at KU? Does anyone remember Julian Wright or the kid with the foot problem? It shouldn't be difficult to project the spots that will be filled by the lottery and first round. Where does he think he's going to land? At this point I'd be satisfied with Selden and Svi coming back. Diallo would be a lot of fun to watch, but not if he continues to be lost on the floor.

Layne Pierce 3 years, 9 months ago

OK. Let's see it from his perspective. To start next year, he would have to beat out, either, Bragg as a 4, or Lucas as a 5. Kind of interesting to wonder why he came to KU. You have to beat others out, we don't give it to you.

Seems like in a weird way, the games he couldn't play changed our whole season. He has a good but very inconsistent offensive game. If we ran up and down the court, and pressed all the time, then he could be very successful, the pro game is very wide open ,and that is where he will flourish. However, if he comes back, and improves, and is at the very least, 1st big off the bench, then watch out, he could be even better than TRob.

Jeff Moore 3 years, 9 months ago

If you are a second round draft pick, you are playing the D-league most of the year if they keep you after summer league. Have fun in front 630 fans riding the bus Diallo and sleeping on borrowed couches. That's great compared to the Ku athletes dorm, national TV and 16300 fans. Wise choice.

Bee Bee 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree, Jeff. I thought this was an early April Fool's joke when I read it. Good luck big fella, you're going to need it.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 9 months ago

Observations from Oakville:

1] All things being equal, I feel losing Bragg would hurt more than losing than Diallo...and that might still happen.

2] Between the guys we got and the guys coming in and might come in, we are in good shape on the front line.If Svi stays, we're in good shape on the back line. The wing all depends on Wayne coming or going.

3] The Syracuse coach is such an a-hole, it will be easy to cheer for Uncle Roy.

4] If you are a betting man or woman, take the over for the Oklahoma vs Villanova game!

5] I think I calculated that counting exhibition, University and suspension games, Diallo lost about 20 games of experience. I sure wish we could have seen him with those games under his belt!!

6] If Landen could develope a 10'-0" jump shot, OMG!!!

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 9 months ago

1 & 2. I will say this again and again, an elite player would have to be out of his mind not to declare for the NBA Draft. We'll see what we have when the spoke clears in mid-May.

3&4. I'm pulling hard for OU, for revenge and Big 12 respectability, and Roy because of his KU ties and I love the guy.

1. I suspect Lando will be working like a junk yard dog on some pet shots like the 10 footer and jump hook.

Michael Lorraine 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes on 1. I don't know if I can root for OU. It would be a bit painful to see a team we beat twice to cut down the nets.

Brian Skelly 3 years, 9 months ago

Im all for the new set up. Let kids 'declare', and then find out there's not a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Obviously, Diallo needs more seasoning and experience, but if he gets drafted its not going to be based on that, it's going to be based of potential.

What the invitation combine should do is give these guys an honest assessment of where they are at. Im always amused by the talking heads whom are convinced there are 2525525773 first round picks. There's 32. And if your not in the top 40 of prospects, you need to seriously think about which way you wanna go. My guess is Diallo is coming back, but who the hell knows. I think Selden is gone, simply because I just dont think he's going to improve his stock that much. I'd think Svi would comeback, but he could go back to Europe and play professionally and check in on the NBA at a later date.

I do believe that we've got players who wont commit to KU until they know who's staying and who's going. We'll just have to wait and see.

Jay Scott 3 years, 9 months ago

I called 252 552 5773. She said to tell you that the tests came back negative...

Barry Weiss 3 years, 9 months ago

I don't know what the salary scale is now. I think Tyshawn got around 750k for one or two years, then washed out. Their second contract is where they make the big money if they survive that first contract. I think Diallo could arguably get close to lotto status if he stays another year. Then he is in the 3-4 mil range. (these numbers may be a bit old).

Kent Wells 3 years, 9 months ago

I think he has better odds being recognized in 5 years if he joins the witness relocation program.

Glen Miller 3 years, 9 months ago

What people don't understand is that these kids that come from other countries are typically leaving to financially support their families. There is no guarantee that you will make it in the league and a guaranteed first contract worth millions of dollars would set them up for life. They aren't making decisions based on what's best for their basketball careers, they are making decisions based on how financially stable they can be. If he's a first rounder, he's as good as gone. Give me a team full of Lucas's, Perry's and Mason's..... those are the teams that we actually seem to perform better with than the Wiggins, Embiid, McLemore type teams. Don't get me wrong, I love those guys... but freshmen just don't seem to fit into our scheme very well and they hardly ever stick around to do much unless they are just ridiculously talented and can figure it out their freshman season.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 9 months ago

Saw this on the Slant:

Should Kansas lose out on Jackson, Bill Self and his staff could turn their attention to Quality Education Academy’s Deshawn Corprew, No. 112 in the Class of 2016

112? lol. Just what we need...another pine rider.

Kent Wells 3 years, 9 months ago

Mason was 107 if memory serves me right....

Bryce Landon 3 years, 9 months ago

Foolish decision by Diallo to even consider the Draft. He spent most of the season riding the bench and wasn't well-prepared enough to get into games. He needs more time.

Allin Herring 3 years, 9 months ago

Kansas wasted way to much time and energy on this guy for what we got! He was not strong enough to bang with the big boys in the Big (little) 12. He rarely showed a good shot and for most of his time on the court looked like a deer in the head lights. Despite all his NBA "potential" he never really displayed it on the Kansas court. But then the NBA is the professional league that lost three games in the 2004 Olympics using mostly NBA players! I lost allot of respect for those guys then.We got this guy because most of the other big time programs dropped him like a hot potato early in the recruiting process because they knew he was going to be an eligibility nightmare. But since we had not really picked a "top 10 recruit" we got the left overs. Not waiting for Bill to talk to him shows me allot. If he wants to come back to get developed fine but I am not crying any tears if he doesn't. And it is just a shame this guy is rated over Seldon and Ellis! Another reason I no longer attend NBA games anymore!