Sunday, March 27, 2016

Seniors likely not only players KU will lose

Kansas guard Wayne Selden Jr. (1) throws a baseline pass over Villanova guard Josh Hart (3) during the second half, Saturday, March 26, 2016 at KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Kentucky.

— Seniors Perry Ellis, Jamari Traylor, Hunter Mickelson and Evan Manning have completed their basketball careers at Kansas University.

Some additional players could also be moving on, the futures of some non-seniors to be decided in coming weeks.

“We only start one senior, but the reality is we’re not going to have our entire group back,” KU coach Bill Self said after the Jayhawks’ season-ending loss to Villanova.

“Because with the rules that allow you to definitely investigate, I think several of our guys or a couple of our guys at least will.

“Some of these kids have maybe played their last game for us as well, even though they are not seniors. We’ll wait and see on that.”

Junior Wayne Selden, Jr., very well could have played his last game at KU.

“I’m not talking about it right now. I don’t know,” Selden said, asked his future plans. “I’m with my brothers right now.”

Soph Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk told the Journal-World on Friday he “wasn’t thinking about” his future and had no comment. Other Jayhawks asked about their pro plans during the postseason include Cheick Diallo, Carlton Bragg Jr. and Brannen Greene, who all indicated they were not thinking about the future and not willing to address the situation at this time.

A new rule allows players to work out for one NBA team and attend the pre-draft combine and still return to school if they don’t sign with an agent. In order to return to school and be eligible, players have to withdraw from the draft within 10 days of the combine, which runs May 11-15.

— See what people were saying about KU's Elite Eight loss during KUsports.com's live coverage

More news and notes from KU’s Elite Eight loss to Villanova

By the Numbers: Villanova 64, Kansas 59

By the Numbers: Villanova 64, Kansas 59

Comments

Mike Riches 3 years, 7 months ago

I know I'm completely biased, but I don't see any of our non-seniors who cold not seriously improve his draft status by returning another year. Selden has the talent to go in the first round, but has been way too inconsistent up to this point to warrant that kind of selection, even in a weaker draft. He could be a Hield-type scoring machine next year if he returns, and look how much Buddy's draft status has improved this year. Svi and Diallo could be lottery locks in a year from now, and Kansas gives them a much better chance of exposure than playing somewhere else (Europe, etc.).

I'm not saying all will stay (Self usually seems to have a good pulse on these things and he definitely thinks one or more are leaving from his comments in recent weeks) but I do think all should stay...

Brianna Zaleski 3 years, 7 months ago

Self has to work his butt off to keep everyone. Selden leaving should be the only one. And even he should stay. Bills best recruiting, this off season, should be getting Diallo and Svi to stay

Robert Brock 3 years, 7 months ago

If Svi and Diallo move on, I hope Bill Self can reel in Josh Jackson and Thon Maker.

Barry Weiss 3 years, 7 months ago

I'll always wonder how we would have done if Diallo had gotten to play all those early games. If we have him next year, we have a true rim protector like we have not had in a while. He has a legit jumper too. He could improve his stock tremendously with another year, same with Svi.

Gerry Butler 3 years, 7 months ago

I know people don't want to hear- - -but I think there is a very strong possibility we lose all 3. - the talk on ESPN is strong speculation that Wayne will declare, but that by far isn't the only place I've heard this- - as far as improving his draft stock- - don't think it is possible for him to improve any further- - just tooo inconsistent.- - SVI stated when he 1st came here that he was only going to be here for 2 years, now that may have changed but I doubt it.- - as we all know NBA drafts of potential at the very least he will most definitely go to the NBA combine if he shows strong there- - more likely then not- -he is gone, OR he may just return home and play Professional there in his homeland for a year possibly make some money then declare here for the NBA draft using the one year there to continue to develop AND make money then come back and enter the NBA draft. Diallo?- - ummm ya.- - I think there is a whole lot that's going to make this a decision for him, First- - frustration of lack of playing time on his part- - possibly his train of thought NOT MINE- - 2nd - - outside influence, bad information- - -3rd again the NBA drafts of potential- - I don't see him doing anything if he declares - -will at best be D league. So if all 3 end up leaving that means we would lose 6.Scholarship players.- - Ellis- - Traylor- - Mickelson- - Selden- - Diallo- - SVI, then we have signed 2- - -Lightfoot & Udoka- - which would leave us with 4 Scholarships - - -It's time to get busy with these recruits Bill

Bert White 3 years, 7 months ago

Don't forget players HAVE to declare for the draft to goto the combine, which is why Coach Cal said ALL of the UK players including walk-ons are declaring for the draft to see which if any of them get invited to the combine. So ESPN saying Selden is going to declare for the draft isn't shocking, it's smart on his part... And if Svi, Mason, Graham, Bragg, Diallo, or Lucas declare for the draft it doesn't mean anything since they can still pull out and return to school after the combine.

Steve Macy 3 years, 7 months ago

I have not idea about Svi, and the rest is also guess work by me. I see Wayne coming back, I don't know why, but I think he is looking at this as unfinished business. I am actually kind of sure that Cheick is leaving, with no proof to back it up. He needs to go, before the NBA fully realizes that he really doesn't have a basketball mind, out of place, offense and defense. He is a physical marvel, run, jump and hustle with the best of the best, but knowing how to use it, not so much. Plus, no matter how much we love him as a rim protector, he is just 6'9", long arms are great, but give me a 7 footer in the middle. Like i said, no proof on any of these, just my thoughts. Greene is an interesting case, is this back going to be a continuing problem? Is he tired of Coach Self? Transfer? Declare? Who knows? The only think I do know, based on past history, Coach Self will reload. RCJH and looking forward to the next season already, how good will Udoka be? Lightfoot, first is he related to Gordon, but can he be a four year guy who improves? Who else will be added to the recruiting class?

Nikki May 3 years, 7 months ago

I of course don't WANT anyone to leave, but we always seem to reload and contend. I really like the option that they can go to the combine now and still come back to school. I don't see any of these guys being lottery picks, so no guaranteed contracts. I wish them all luck in whatever they decide.

Ashwin Rao 3 years, 7 months ago

I want Ellis to return. He has been here since Phog's time, so I am sure he can stay one more year.

Tracey Graham 3 years, 7 months ago

Selden is projected to be a 2nd round pick or go undrafted. Unless he is simply sick of school and/or desperate for money, he has no reason to leave. In the case of the younger guys, none of them are close to being reasy to play in the NBA.; May I direct them to look at the recent KU players who have flamed out in the NBA because they left school too early? Again, unless they hate school or deperately need the money, they should all come back to KU.

Greene has had disciplinary problems and appears he may not have a great relationship with Coach Self. I could see him transferring, but, again, he isn't going to get drafted by a NBA team

Go explore their options. Declare for draft, go through the combine. But don't sign with an agent, because they are going to want to come back to school after they get a dose of reality.

But if they decide to risk it, go play overseas or on a D-League team or (at best) make a NBA team as a 12th man type on a non-guaranteed deal, then good luck to them. I hope they will be happy with whatever they decide to do.

Roger Gilbertson 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't see Greene leaving with next year being his senior year. I don't think there is much problems between him and Coach Self. I did see some defensive effort by Greene after the K-State game. Seldon is 50/50. Svi, no idea. As for Cheik and Bragg, is if the guys in the NBA continue to draft on 'potential' and not results, I could see Cheik, but Bragg I got a feeling he would stay.

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

I like this rule. A lot. But a couple of caviats here. Firstly, it should be accompanied by a 2-year rule (basically an NBA age limit), eliminating the OAD. This would eliminate crazy things like Cheick Diallo coming out this year. He's raw an no where near polished. The counter-argument is, "Well the NBA can develop these guys." Two problems with this view. Sometimes the NBA gets them and they actually don't develop! Staying in college for an extra year sometimes gives a kid a little perspective, knowledge, and skills that allows NBA instruction to take a better foothold. The second problem is that if the NBA can develop them, then that development will not be hindered by an additional year of instruction on the college level. An additional year of college helps the players, it helps the NBA (who will be getting more mature players), and it will certainly help the interest in the game from a fan perspective. Additionally, it will help the players in another way: they will be one year further toward getting a degree that can help them in case it doesn't work out in the pros, or there stint there is shorter lived than expected. No more of this Ben Simmons stuff (academic issues owing to his unwillingness to put effort into a temporary college situation). I've said all along and still believe that in the OAD era, we need to take advantage of the rule and I dont shy away from that one bit. But I do wish it were different.

The second thing is kind of related to the above. I totally detest how these players are getting pushed by the media, by NBA teams, and by financial incentives they wave in front of players to make them leave sooner than they should. College is an enjoyable time and that experience is being robbed from them. The money will wait, and if theyre good enough after putting in the time in college (Hield, Ellis, Niang, e.g.) it will be even better after having spent more time on campus. Selden can improve, Diallo can improve, Mykhailuk can improve. Perry had just about reached his ceiling. If the same can be said for Wayne, Cheick, and Svi, then by all means they should leave too. But lets not frame the argument--as has been done before--that wishing that players would stay is all about fans' being selfish.

It's also about players' being smart making decisions that affect them.

Kristen Downing 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree with Calipari (sorry). I think every 19 year old on the team should go through the process. Even the walk-ons. Maybe if every team does this and the NBA teams decided this stupid age requirement is a hassle, they will get off their butts and work with the union to change it. I know if I was 18 and thought I had the ability to play in the NBA, I would not want anyone taking that right away from me. Fail or not. This rule helps no one but the NBA and college has turned into a costly training camp for them.

Sebastian Sanchez 3 years, 7 months ago

Selden would have had a better shot at the NBA if he had declared his Fr. year than now. Back then, he would've been drafted based only on potential (which is huge for him), now he will be judged by his numbers. Under this logic, he is better off staying his senior year and pulling an Ellis/Niang/Hield season.

Diallo could get a good look again based only on potential, though not playing might've hurt him. The delicate thing here is that he will still not crack the starting five with Lucas returning (as a much improved player) and Brag taking on Ellis' role as a smallish 4 (very unlikely that he leaves).

As far as Svi/Greene, they could both greatly benefit from staying, far more than leaving. Svi seems to be a smart guy and is starting to see a lot more minutes (is Selden leaves he might as well start), so he will probably stay. Greene, much like Selden, lost his chance of leaving after his Fr. year, and now he would get drafted mid to end of the second round. A good senior year could help his stock. He is known to be impatient and spends way too much time in the doghouse. If anyone leaves by benefiting from this new rule, Greene (with Diallo a close second) is the most likely one to do so.

Brian Skelly 3 years, 7 months ago

Despite all these speculative remarks about whom will get drafted when (or not drafted), I would encourage all those who have some realistic chance of play professionally past college to declare. I think most of them would get hit in the face with reality, and end up coming back. Part of me thinks that Calipari having all his guys declare isnt just an attention seeking moment -- which of course it is that too -- but my guess is part of it is to make a mockery of the process. Regardless of how one feels about age limits, or one and dones, or whatever... the system still is heavily flawed. Hopefully this route is an improvement.

Riscit Alle 3 years, 7 months ago

All three should definitely stay. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. Svi is not good enough to jump to the pros yet. Selden still needs some improving. And Diallo barely played. He is way to raw. You know that one of them will make the dumb mistake of jumping to the pros though, when they could be a college star next year. And with Mason and graham, lucas coming back as well, We would be ridiculously good again next year. If any of the three do go to the pros, it's just to sit on the bench.

Adam Bengtson 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm sorry, does everyone watch the same games as me? In what universe are any of Kansas players NBA material as of today? Some kids need some help on decision making.

William Weissbeck 3 years, 7 months ago

Per the combined minds of ESPN/FOX and CBS, KU had zero NBA talent, only Ellis was a potential late 2nd round draft simply because he's already in his late 20's.