Friday, March 25, 2016

Mark Turgeon: We lost to nation’s best team

Maryland guards Rasheed Sulaimon (0) and Melo Trimble (2) make their way from the floor after their 79-63 loss to Kansas, Thursday, March 24, 2016 at KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Kentucky.

— In the moments that followed Thursday’s 79-63, Sweet 16 loss to top-seeded Kansas at KFC Yum! Center, the teary-eyed Maryland Terrapins were left lamenting what could have been.

After a first half in which Maryland delivered the first punch and outplayed the Jayhawks much of the way, the Terps went to the locker room trailing by two.

“Everything was going great for us and I just felt like we should have had the lead,” said freshman forward Diamond Stone after the loss. “But Kansas is a great team, just like us. It really should’ve been two No. 1 seeds. But the better team won today. Kansas brought their A-game and we came up short.”

Fifth-seeded Maryland (27-9) nearly stole the momentum back just before the first-half buzzer, when guard Rasheed Sulaimon stole the ball from Devonté Graham with two seconds to play in the half and heaved a deep three-pointer toward the rim. The shot looked on target most of the way but fell short and Kansas (33-4) went into the locker room clinging to a 36-34 lead.

Stone said that shot, had it gone in, might have been the momentum boost that Maryland needed to keep punching in the second half. Instead, the miss gave Kansas somewhat of a lift.

That was felt throughout the Maryland lineup, as Stone and fellow forward Damonte Dodd said the Jayhawks’ toughness in the final 20 minutes proved to be the difference.

Nowhere did that show up better than on the rebounding totals, where Kansas out-rebounded a bigger, taller Maryland team 43-28 overall, 22-8 in the second half.

“It was just effort,” said Stone who played just 21 minutes because of foul trouble. “I didn’t have effort today, our bigs didn’t have effort today. It just wasn’t our game today. In the second half, they were the more physical team. They brought it the second half, from the guards to the bigs.”

Added Dodd: “We matched up well. We just didn’t answer back.”

The loss dropped Maryland coach Mark Turgeon to 0-7 all-time against his alma mater and moved KU into the Elite Eight for the first time since 2012. KU will face second-seeded Villanova (32-5) on Saturday, at 7:50 p.m. Central time.

And, as much as Thursday’s loss stung, Turgeon said it was what KU represents today and not what the school means to his past, that made the loss at least a little easier to swallow.

“We lost to the best team in the country, 33-4 now, No. 1 seed in the tournament,” Turgeon said. “They’ve just crushed people lately. And, in the end, it looks like they crushed us.”

— See what people were saying about the Sweet 16 matchup between KU and Maryland during KUsports.com's live coverage

More news and notes from KU’s Sweet 16 victory over Maryland

By the Numbers: Kansas 79, Maryland 63

By the Numbers: Kansas 79, Maryland 63

Comments

Bryce Landon 3 years, 7 months ago

And Kansas finally has revenge for the 2002 Final Four loss to the Terrapins.

Now let's put our man pants on, because a frighteningly good Wildcat team awaits us.

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

Villanova is an outstanding team. "Maybe" one of the best two teams left in the field (Kansas). We are going to have to play our best basketball to beat them. Defense needs to be on point, offense needs to be efficient (including 3-point shooting), and free throw shooting needs to be 85% or greater.

And I'll make one comment about it and say no more, but there are a lot of hypocrites who came down hard on Brannen and are saying nothing about Frank, and they did exactly the same thing. Lots of people are having their inconsistency exposed. And enough of this "Brannen Greene's track record" crap. Mason's bucket shows just how insignificant a bucket in that situation really is. It was never a big deal and it was blown way out of proportion from the beginning. Mic drop.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

I wondered as the other player walked away if Frank was going to let enough time run off the clock.

About the only difference is realizing we're playing a very good team tonight, and not a bunch of whiner wannabe's.

Glad you weren't talking about Brannen's back ailment. I sure hope he gets better soon.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 7 months ago

I felt like Mason took and made that last shot to show solidarity with Greene, which if that was the case...was pretty cool.

For Kansas to defeat Nova, not only will we need to make our FTs and play D but we will need to shoot well....like 55% well...with about 10 3s

Robert Brock 3 years, 7 months ago

I wish that Diamond Stone had swatted Frank's shot up into the stands.

Armen Kurdian 3 years, 7 months ago

That probably would have been really funny, Frank probably would have laughed.

Armen Kurdian 3 years, 7 months ago

It's AA game or nothing against 'Nova. I think we can beat them with solid man to man and if the pick n roll works as well as it did second half last night. But we are going to have to hit some outside shots. Graham better be feeling better tomorrow, we're going to need his touch. Svi needs a big game too.

John Myers 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't really see it as "exactly the same thing". It wasn't the fact that it was a bucket scored as time ran out. It was the manner in which it was done. It was a casual few steps and a little toss layup compared to a dunk. I agree, though, that it was blown out of proportion, but if Greene had just laid it up like Frank did, I bet it would never have been a thing.

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

The fact that the hair-splitting has been reduced to whether it was a dunk or a layup contrasted against the difference in reaction among the coach and some of the fans (from d*** move to no reaction at all) just exposes the bias to view Brannen in an unfavorable light. My point is that he has done some things to land himself in the doghouse, yes; but the late-game score was not one of them, and any attempt to paint it that way is just patent lunacy. And why do I care so much? Because all kids make mistakes, but by and large Brannen's haven't been illegal so far as I know. There has been little if any attempt on the part of so many to give the situation some perspective and proportionality, and for a guy who is a part of our team. He's just a colorful kid who happens to have made a couple of more mistakes than some boy scouts playing around him. Damn. I said I was only going to make one comment. Screwed that up...

Al Martin 3 years, 7 months ago

All right, I'll own up; I was one justifiying Self's reaction due to Brannen's track record. I've never been a Brannen basher, but at the time I figured Self had his reasons. You make a good point.

A couple of games ago, Brannen had the ball at end game and dribbled out the clock right in front of the bench, grinning at somebody on the bench. I thought that was pretty funny.

Gerry Butler 3 years, 7 months ago

Hmmmm, I thought you said you were only bringing this up once? Why do people always try and find a need to detract from the game? How about focusing on the game the way this team has a certain swagger, never panic attitude? Why do you feel the need to bring that up at all? Now all you have done is get this crap started up ALL OVER again. I just don't get it from some people. If you would of been paying attention the commentators said it that there was no reason the refs were even checking it in all reality they thought the game was over - - - then it was like almost an after thought with them- - oh well maybe we better just check and see- - If they thought there was still time left then they would of could the obvious travel by Frank- - Frank thought it was over- - do you REALLY think he would of put the lay up- - up against the backboard so non chalent and underhanded lazy like he did if he would of thought there was game time left? Why don't we just talk about the game and give the credit these guys deserve instead of dragging up things that have NOTHING to do with the game at hand- - instead of dwelling on past- - you take away from what they have done when you nit pick about things that aren't even related to the game at hand- -now here we go this will go on and on instead of about looking forward- - Brennan knows what he did wasn't right- - it's done- - it's over move on

John Pritchett 3 years, 7 months ago

My read of Brannen's last-second basket is exactly the same as yours of Mason's. Give Brannen some slack. It was a non-event then and it's a non-event now. How anyone can read Greene's basket as anything more than an afterthought is beyond me. Most likely he just didn't realize the clock was still running, same with Mason. The implication that it was somehow an "in your face" play is just ludicrous.

Mike Greer 3 years, 7 months ago

What I think dew the ire of coach Self on Brannen's shot, is the fact we were soon to head to Manhattan and he didn't want to give them extra incentive. OTH, when will KU and Maryland face up again? Probably after all these players are long gone.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 7 months ago

John,

I recommend you watch the replay of the Greene dunk. It was as nonchalant as Mason's layup. Neither is a big deal. Neither was meant as disrespect. I am glad Self learned his lesson and didn't verbally crucify Mason. Or maybe it has to do with the fact that Self is biased against Greene.

Tom Jones 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree with Joe. Both non-stories, blown out of proportion because of BG's past numbskullness. Frank was just throwing something up to beat the shot clock.

Anyone see Coach K talking to Brooks (the Oregon guy who threw up a prayer three up 11 with 20 seconds to go just to beat the shot clock that ended up dropping)? He stops him in the handshake line to scold him, essentially...saying "you're a better player than that" like he's the arbiter of class. Nauseating.

STFU, Coach K. Seriously. Your best player makes a habit of tripping people on the court. You lost. Deal with it. The kid was just throwing it up there. Should he have just taken the shot clock violation? Probably? But is it K's place to scold the guy? And Brooks tried to shake Allen's hand as the clock ran out and Allen pushed him away.

Apple/tree. Grow up, dookies.

RJ King 3 years, 7 months ago

Great post. I missed that scene. Thanks for the recap.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 7 months ago

Not sure I agree..

If I was to rank the remaining teams even though 4 more will be gone by tonight, this would be my list:

1. Kansas
  2. North Carolina
  3. Virginia
  4. Oklahoma
  5. Villanova
  6. Oregon
  7. Iowa State

Pius Waldman 3 years, 7 months ago

Well guess Self made the Greene goal very critical and Mason isn't getting the same treatment. Personally why make a bid deal yes the player shouldn't have shot that unattended goal but just don't blow it up. It appears Mason was just playing around and probably thought the game was over before he shot the ball.

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

No horn sounded. If Mason was given the benefit, Brannen should have been as well.

Jerry Walker 3 years, 7 months ago

If you can't recognize the difference between Mason and Greene, both on and off the court...no amount of explaining will help you realize why there was little reaction to Mason's buzzer shot.

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

You know these guys off the court? I wish I had it goin on like that.

Jerry Walker 3 years, 7 months ago

Don't feel too bad...another Forest Gump in the world makes it a better place.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 7 months ago

Stupid is, as stupid does. Pretending to know all the significant differences between Mason and Greene off the court is....well...

Gerry Butler 3 years, 7 months ago

Again- - how long you going to drag this out- - - -LET IT GO your just like some little kid think OH I have to have the last word, you've made your view quite clear it is done, it's in the past we have other things to worry about other then triffle small things like this all your doing is re-hashing old news guess maybe everyone BUT you have moved on Coach has Brennan has the team has- - -how about focusing on Villanova and not worrying so much on things that don't have anything to do with the game- - - tell me- - no DON'T TELL ME- - -how that had anything to do with the match up against Maryland or how it has anything to do with Villanova- - thank GOD the team doesn't dwell on such petty crap

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

Well, youre right about one thing, I grant you. I probably should not have brought it up. Nevertheless the irony was very compelling, that due to Brannen's dunk he got benched, and tonight he sat the bench (for other reasons, obviously) on a night when a teammate did the same thing. But youll get no argument from me that I gave too much attention to it, especially on a night where we moved into the Elite 8. So there's a concession to your point. I suppose it just always grabs me wrong when people stubbornly make hay of issues that arent issues. Maybe even like Im doing...

Exit soapbox.

James Whittington 3 years, 7 months ago

Jerry, you hit the nail on the head. I really think Mason was just flipping the ball up and it happened to go in. No big deal, time to move on from this. Rock Chalk!!

LJ Gee 3 years, 7 months ago

why, after a great game and making the E8 are we talking about brannen's dunk 2 months ago. Some of you are ridiculous just trolling for reasons to criticize Self. You are not in the locker room. You do not know better than the coach what is needed in individual situations. You are NOT smarter than the coach who has won 12 straight league titles and has just taken this team to the E8. Sorry but you should just accept that fact, stop being petty and move on. MIC DROPPED

Edward Daub 3 years, 7 months ago

Great Victory by the Jayhawks! Congratulations Team!

I think Bill Self will speak privately with Frank Mason.

Mason displayed poor sportsmanship on that last play.

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree with you, Joe. In fact, you could make a case that Frank walked before he laid up the shot. It was so nonchalant that the announcers even made fun of it.

They probably didn't call Frank for traveling because that technically would have put a fraction of a second on the clock, and nobody wanted to bring the players back. My guess is that Frank would have been totally happy if they had said the clock expired before his shot. However, the stupid replays showed that he did beat the clock. I doubt that either side called for a replay, so if the refs had just waved it off, everybody would have been fine with it. Maybe we should blame the media for showing a replay that no one wanted. Just kidding! Heaven forbid we might put a minor restriction on the press.

David Robinett 3 years, 7 months ago

The difference in the late baskets is that we had a return game coming AT K state. So it WAS kinda dumb to give them blackboard material.

David Robinett 3 years, 7 months ago

Although I agree they were both meaningless, and overblown.