Saturday, March 19, 2016

Bill Self likes Jayhawks’ feisty attitude

Kansas head coach Bill Self applauds the Jayhawks as they widen their lead during the second half on Saturday, March 19, 2016 at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines.

— Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self loved his team’s feisty attitude at halftime of Saturday’s 73-61 second-round NCAA South Regional victory over UConn in Wells Fargo Arena.

The squad’s veteran players were animated despite leading, 44-24.

“It has a different feel to me, basically most of the year, because these guys played lights out the first half and at halftime they are chewing on each other because a couple possessions they didn’t execute right. I think that’s good,” Self said of his veteran team.

“I don’t think guys who have been in the program nine months have the same feel because these guys (veterans) have been through the last two years and not advanced out of this (second) round. I think that’s good. I think it probably seems more special because of all the time they’ve invested.”

Self spoke to junior guard Frank Mason III in the tunnel at halftime. Mason had two points, three turnovers, four assists at the break and finished with eight points off 1-of-8 shooting with four assists, four turnovers and five rebounds.

“I don’t know that that was encouragement, because we called a play and he threw it to the wrong side, and we couldn’t run it the way that it’s set up to run by him throwing it to the side, and I was just trying to tell him that, you know, you’ve got to get your head into it,” Self said.

“He wasn’t bad today by any stretch, I’m not saying that, but I didn’t think when things kind of went a little bit south for him personally, not our team, but for him personally, I thought he quit being aggressive and lost a little focus so we were just trying to get him back.”

Self continued on the topic of Mason.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Self, Ellis and Selden discuss KU's second-round victory over UConn

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self, as well as Jayhawks Perry Ellis and Wayne Selden Jr., answer questions from media members following the Jayhawks' 73-61 victory over Connecticut, which advanced KU to its first Sweet 16 since 2013.

Download podcast

“Frank is one of those guys when things aren’t going well he can focus in on making it a personal confrontation as opposed to thinking, ‘Hey it’s not my night, but I’m going to make sure I do things in other areas.’ He’s a little stubborn. I’m glad he’s our stubborn guy,” Self said.

“The strange thing is Devonté (Graham, 13 points) was on, Wayne (Selden Jr., 22 points) was on, Perry (Ellis, 21 points) was on ... Frank, that was about as poor offensively a game as he’s had. We’ve got to get him back next week obviously.”

— See what people were saying about Kansas vs. UConn during KUsports.com's live coverage

More news and notes from KU’s win over UConn

By the Numbers: Kansas 73, UConn 61

By the Numbers: Kansas 73, UConn 61

Comments

Robin Smith 3 years, 8 months ago

Frank is clearly hurt and laboring like he was in the earlier slump. I'm very thankful we advanced and he has an extra day to rest and heal up. Hopefully, everyone gets back to normal, especially Mason.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 3 years, 8 months ago

I could see Frank was frustrated during the game at times. Keep being aggressive within the flow of the offense - without forcing it (easy to say I know). We need you playing well to continue our march through March.

Mallory Briggans 3 years, 8 months ago

The " LOSING IN THE FIRST WEEKEND MONKEY " is off this teams back. Before the tourney the betting favorite to win it all was Michigan State ......with the Spartans gone the betting favorite is now Virginia. Not that the Jayhawks need motivation to win it all and really what does Vegas know . This team this year has been a joy to watch .They are having fun and when I saw the box score in game 1 against Austin Peay I noticed the assists by the TEAM ........The unselfishness is great . Being on the national stage our players have elevated their game . Wayne has joined the party!!....and Lucas is gaining more and more confidence....He is the starter at the 5 spot..............Not Mickleson ,not Diallo ..not Bragg ......Landen Lucas! The key now is that everyone stays healthy Franks nicked up ......Perry banged his knee .........you could hear a pin drop in the whole state of Kansas when he limped to the bench ...But what i loved near the end of the UCONN game were the guys all united on the floor when Frank was shooting freethrows after the flagrant foul on the Huskies .....that said it all..

Rock Chalk

Mike Greer 3 years, 8 months ago

The teams strength all season has been that one guy plays well if another doesn't. Frank had an off night, Devonte had a good night after a game where he was not very effective. This is how they compliment each other as a team.

Lee Sears 3 years, 8 months ago

I kind of wish Frank wasn't so stubborn. When he is having an off night, he becomes so focused on making up for a missed shot or a turnover that he plays a one on one with the other team. There are times when he has someone open with a better look, but he tries to make a shot, misses, and we have no-one there to get the rebound. There were several poor possessions in the 2nd half of the Huskies game and much of that falls on Mason's shoulders. He hasn't had the success that Sherron Collins had of creating a shot when their isn't one.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 8 months ago

I like the Jayhawks' feisty attitude too. They're going to need it against the winner of Maryland-Hawaii. And should they advance to the Elite Eight, they will definitely need it against Miami/Villanova. The way Villanova is playing against Iowa today, they will be a fierce opponent to battle should KU make it that far.

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 8 months ago

This team has so many individual strengths, but for my money, the leadership being provided by Perry, Frank, Devonte, Wayne, and Landen is something that has been a little missing in recent years. They have steadily stepped up their games since January, and they are playing as well as anyone right now.

There are a lot of good teams left, so I expect the rest of the tournament to be one of the most competitive we've had in a long time. Just give it your best shot, Hawks, and let the chips fall where they may.