Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Name dropping: Self surprised at teams in South Regional

Kansas head coach Bill Self puts his arm around guard Devonte' Graham (4) during the postgame interview with Holly Rowe of ESPN.

The 2016 NCAA South Regional field of teams looked as tough to Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self on Monday as it did upon first glance Sunday night.

“It does seem pretty ‘name heavy,’” Self, coach of the overall No. 1 seed, said of a bracket that includes eight of the top 25 teams in the highly respected Kenpom.com ratings. In order, it’s KU at No. 1, followed by Villanova (5), Wichita State (12), Miami (13), Arizona (16), California (21), Maryland (23) and UConn (25).

“You look at Maryland as a 5 seed and Arizona as a 6 seed. That was shocking. Cal (4 seed) has as many good, young players as anybody in the country, without question. I was surprised Villanova was a 2 seed in our region.

“I’m sure you could go through the other regions and make cases about them, too. I’m not hung up on that at all, but it was a bit surprising to see some of those names pop up on those lines,” Self added while speaking as a guest on ESPN’s Mike and Mike show.

His Jayhawks (30-4) will meet No. 16-seeded Austin Peay (18-17) approximately 3 p.m. Thursday in Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa. Winner will meet either No. 8 seed Colorado (22-11) or No. 9 UConn (24-10) at a yet-to-be-determined time on Saturday.

“I was shocked we were in the South Regional based on what I’ve always been told were the reasons why geographically you’d be in certain regions. I’ve always been told with the regions, basically if you are a No. 1 overall you go to the region closest to you,” Self said. “The second No. 1 seed will go to the region closest to them after the first one was picked.

“There’s not much difference on the mileage or anything like that,” added Self, who on Sunday had joked that cell phone information provider Siri indicated Midwest regional site Chicago was 448 miles from Lawrence, South regional site Louisville 515 miles.

His Jayhawks could meet former KU guard Mark Turgeon’s Maryland squad in a Sweet 16 game a week from Thursday in Louisville.

Self agreed with Mike and Mike’s Monday panel that it would be nice to have a scenario in which NCAA Tournament committee members “could say, ‘This is the criteria we’re looking at in this order — whether it be record away from home, to neutral (sites), to top 25 wins, top 50 wins or however you want to word it.’

“It gets down to so many things. One team could be 72 in the BPI (Basketball Power Index) and be 47 in the RPI (Ratings Percentage Index) or vice versa. I think it is a little misleading and confusing. I think we can probably do a better job of educating so that way everybody has a better feel of what they are trying to actually accomplish during this.”

Self said he’d never want teams to be selected solely on things such as BPI and RPI.

“At some point in time, you want to take into consideration if a Denzel Valentine (Michigan State standout) was out eight weeks instead of three weeks (due to injury), or if there were certain things that happened in the course of the season,” Self said. “I still think the eye test to me is the best way to go — who you played, who you beat.”

Schedule: The Jayhawks will practice today, then are scheduled to board a bus about 2 p.m. outside Allen Fieldhouse for a 31⁄2-hour trip to Des Moines, site of Thursday’s opener against Austin Peay.

KU will hold a practice from 2:15 to 2:55 p.m. on Wednesday at Wells Fargo Arena. The public is invited. Austin Peay’s open practice is 12:45 p.m. to 1:25 p.m. Former KU guard Tad Boyle’s Colorado Buffaloes will practice from 1:30 to 2:10 p.m.

KU still No. 1: KU was ranked No. 1 in the AP poll Monday for the third straight week. Michigan State was second, followed by North Carolina and Virginia. KU received 63 first-place votes Monday from the 65-member national AP media panel. Michigan State received the other two No. 1 votes. Oregon, the NCAA’s other No. 1 seed, is fifth, followed by Villanova, Oklahoma and Xavier. Miami and Kentucky are tied for 10th.

KU coach Self on the state of his team entering the NCAAs: “I think we’ve played well of late. We are confident. I know I am (confident) in how we’ve been playing. It doesn’t guarantee success, but you have a good feeling going into it. We’ve had guys step up and make plays. Our perimeter shooting still can be inconsistent, free-throw shooting inconsistent, defensive rebounding inconsistent. I believe we are more consistent than what we were in early February when we were winning but had great stretches and poor stretches in games.”

Of his team having more veteran players this year than the past couple years, he said: “People talk about our experience, and we do start only one senior. We’re still relatively young. I don’t think they’ll all be back, but we’re relatively young. The guys are tough. They share it. They have grown up together and enjoy playing with each other. Not that the others didn’t. The other teams didn’t have the maturity the last couple years that this team has.”

Mark’s miffed: Former KU guard Turgeon, head coach at Maryland, blasted CBS on Monday for the network’s two-hour Selection Sunday show. The show used to be an hour, with the bracket revealed at the start.

“I hated the two-hour show. I think it’s ridiculous. I think it should have been a one-hour show like it always was, and let’s just get to it. We sit around all year, this is what it’s about, it’s not fair,” Turgeon told 106.7 The Fan’s Grant Paulsen and Danny Rouhier.

Somebody on Twitter, who has killed his/her account, leaked the bracket during the show.

“The leaked bracket helped a lot of people,” Turgeon told the radio hosts. “I hate that that happened. But the show’s too long. It should just be an hour like it was, and it’s more entertaining, and get it out there.”

Comments

Mike Schell 2 years, 10 months ago

Self said "we're still relatively young. I don't think they will all be back" can anybody shine some light on what you think self means by this? Because I personally think all the underclassmen will all be back! Who would leave? Not Selden he has been to inconsistent. Bragg and CD have upside but are still to young and "raw" the only person I can see leaving would be green. Maybe I'm over reading those words by self but they did seem interesting. As far as the south bracket goes. I think we have great match ups, I'm a little worried about the terps! ROCK CHALK!

Brian Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

Just Speculations, but using some logic by looking to the future. By now I think it is obvious that Self will encourage a player to leave in order to make room for future players and that nothing is decided until we know what new players are coming. Currently we are recruiting zero guards for next year. Here is the picture:

Guards: Mason, Graham, Vick, Mykhaulick, and Self will be a Sr.
SF; Selden, and Greene - recruiting Josh Jackson and Corprew.
PF: Lucas, Coleby, Diallo, Bragg - signed Lightfoot and recruiting Thompson
C: Signed Azubuike - still recruiting Bolden, Allen, and Thon Maker.

As far as guards go Svi may be gone. He can play in Europe and make several hundred thousand dollars a year while at KU he will be sharing time. Other than staying for fun, I'm not sure if he physcially is going to develop much further. With Mason, Graham and Vick. I don't think Self feels he needs to be signing any other guards this year. He has enough talent for next year plus I think Bill wants to leave time for Tyler - 1 or 2 minutes a game in backup position and cleanup - and watch his son get a chance to play a few minutes. In addition, any guard signed at this point is for the bench as all the real talent has been signed and KU is recruiting major guard prospects in 2017. If Svi does leaves, then this may help in Selden staying for his Senior year..

But, I think Selden is gone. We are currently recruiting two small forwards and I think Selden will only stay if we miss. Greene is projected to start with a newcomer learning the ropes. Also, Selden may not be a lottery pick but he will get his shot in the NBA, can play Euro ball for several hundred thousand a year, or go into the D league. I'm not sure there is much more Selden can do to develop at KU but he needs some playing time at the guard position.

At Power Forward I think Diallo leaves. With Lucas, Bragg, Coleby, Lightfoot, and potentially Thompson, the post already has 5 players and getting more crowded. So, between Diallo and Bragg, Diallo is the most likely to be able to make some $ while making a run at the NBA and has the most to gain, plus I'm not sure he even likes going to college.

At Center, Az could be OAD, in addition, we are recruiting three more big names at Center, all of which could be OAD;s and these guys are not going to sit on the bench. I don't see Diallo getting much time at Center unless KU is unable to sign another Center. However, I could be wrong. Maybe it's Bragg that is going because he may be seeing the position as being too crowded with Diallo staying. Who knows, fun to speculate, we will just have to wait and see who signs.

Steve Macy 2 years, 10 months ago

Az, I think, is a lot like Svi age wise, not eligible for two years to leave. In my world, totally impossible, Diallo, Bragg, Lucas, and AZ make up the rotation of the 4 and 5 spots, Coleby gets left over minutes. Red shirt Lightfoot, give Vick a chance at the 3 along with whoever stays.

Brian Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

And then what happens if we sign Thon Maker or Bolden or even Allen?

Jay Scott 2 years, 10 months ago

That won't change AZ's draft eligibility....

Benz Junque 2 years, 10 months ago

Brian, there is so much just flat out wrong info in that post that I don't even know where to start.

Brian Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

LOL, first it was speculating, second if you put up you would be all wrong too!

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 10 months ago

You were right about WSU state being a bubble team but I don't get why 11 seeds have play in games.

Neb Skcirdneh 2 years, 10 months ago

with all due respect Self uses a 3 guard lineup and two of those (2 and 3) are pretty interchangeable as far as x's and o's. There is a lead guard and two wings. Now his lineup features 2 combo guards perhaps but the one that doesn't have the ball becomes a wing. Selden, Svi, Greene, Mason, Graham, Vick, etc... all guards.

Brian Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

Did I say anything about the system Self plays? The respective spots each player assigned was given to them by Scout, ESPN and Rivals and not by me. I just listed them here in that fashion to break things down. Currently the only two Small Forwards listed on KU's team are listed that way by all three services, Brannen Greene and Wayne Selden. New signee Young is listed as a Small Froward as well as Josh Jackson if he is signed.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 10 months ago

We have more scholarships than we have recruits - which just about makes everything in your post a moot point.

Brian Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

True....and as I said it was speculation.

Mike Schell 2 years, 10 months ago

Also I thought Bragg grew up over the tournament in kc! If he can stay out of foul trouble and grab some rebounds he and svi can be x factors off the bench. It might be just me but every time green is in the game the offense slows down the ball sticks. And he turns the ball over way to much. Blast me for this if you want but I'm starting to think that he hurts ku more then he helps, he can't create his own shot I just don't see why svi isn't the clear cut better choice he brings more to the table.

Terrence Cernech 2 years, 10 months ago

Greene is pretty much a one dimensional player. Even Self showed that during XII in KC. He is to come in and knock down threes, if he misses a couple, he sits. He is put in at the end of game to shoot FTs. It appeared at times in KC that he tried o do other things; rebound, hustle on D, but quickly lost interest. He is a ball-handling nightmare. As much as the NBA has a reputation for little D, Greene has none. He may be able to play overseas but I don't think even Europe is a cinch option for him. Maybe China????

Steve Macy 2 years, 10 months ago

He had 5 rebounds in 10 mins against KSU, probably his high-water mark of rebounding efficiency at KU. I think those were the only rebounds for him in the tourney.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 10 months ago

If only Greene would learn how to create space... He would be a first rounder w/just a decent step-back jumper. 3 years and not much has changed.

Mick Allen 2 years, 10 months ago

He also needs to learn to move without the ball to get himself open. He has a tendency to just stand in either corner and wait for Frank or Devonte to cause the defense to collapse on their dribble drive to give him a shot.

Aaron Millsap 2 years, 10 months ago

I think Selden is the most likely to bolt. I'm not saying he should but he's got the fam to think about and has had some breakout games. It's also possible that Svi, Brannen, or Cheick could decide it is in their best interest to pursue other opportunities. All 4 seem unlikely individually, but we could be disappointed by one or two of them.

Mike Schell 2 years, 10 months ago

I think you could be right about Wayne, I forgot about his fam he has to worry about. But if Svi left as well I think that would hurt the Hawks the most considering how svi has consistently taken positive strides.

Ryan Zimmerman 2 years, 10 months ago

Selden is currently at 49 in the mock drafts. IMO I'm not sure that's a great place to be at to leave. I'd think 30 and below, but 49 is definitely towards the end of the pack. http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

Ron Sterling 2 years, 10 months ago

Well Ryan, it's not just a matter of where you are, but also which way you're going. Draftexpress has Selden at 39 to NBAdraftnet's 49. He's 21 years old. It's a really, really weak draft class. Barring a Denzel Valentine type senior season, Wayne's more likely to fall off a draft board next year than to raise himself into a 1st rounder or lottery pick. He absolutely should go now and hope he can impress enough in the combine to sneak his way into the late first round, or show enough promise in summer ball that a team is willing to put some time into him.

Austin Lopez 2 years, 10 months ago

I think the East region got the hardest path, UNC, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Xavier, 4 teams in the East, UNC, UK, WV, and XU can knock anybody in the south out including Kansas considered WV already beat Kansas once, UK should of been seeded higher imagine Kansas going through the East path.....

Mike Riches 2 years, 10 months ago

To win a NC you have beat the team in front of you six times in a row, period. Who cares who that team is? They're all good this time of year and they all punch harder than anyone you've played all season. You'd better be ready to fight back with everything you've got every game or you go home.

Good teams that play with that kind of attitude win. Teams that focus on how it "should have been" go home early. The only team that matters right now is Austin Peay..let's go get win #1.

Allison Steen 2 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone know when they will release the Saturday game time? Will it not be until after the Thursday game or should we know sooner?

Steve Macy 2 years, 10 months ago

According to the internet, tip times for Saturday's games will be announced after the end of Thursday's games, Sunday after the conclusion of Friday's. Hopefully it will not be a two hour special. :)

Allison Steen 2 years, 10 months ago

Darnit! But thank you! I get married Saturday so I am trying to figure out if I will need to have it streaming in another room :) Looks like I will err on the side of caution! Rock chalk

Steve Macy 2 years, 10 months ago

err on the side of your marriage. Forget about sports, I say this even though I left my wedding reception early to watch Royals vs Cardinals in the 85 series. Marriage failed, just saying.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 10 months ago

congratulations! And you will surely be pretty busy all day, hopefully the games fits your schedule. My first date with my wife was while KU was losing to UNI and Ali Faroukmanesh. I listened to the end on the radio as a was driving to pick her up. We ended up OK. The tough losses don't get to me as much now as they did back before I was married.

Jared Reeves 2 years, 10 months ago

Husbands come and go, but the Jayhawks will be faithful forever! If your fiance can't understand that your love of the Jayhawks is greater than your love for him, then he doesn't get you and you shouldn't waste your time.

Jay Scott 2 years, 10 months ago

Even for you, that's profoundly stupid.

Mike Greer 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm just going to assume that Jared's comments were written in jest, and I had a good laugh. ;)

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 10 months ago

Just tape the game.. You should have waited a few more weeks but now it's too late.I'm pretty sure your future husband doesn;'t want to watch basketball on his wedding night.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 10 months ago

"We’re still relatively young. I don’t think they’ll all be back, but we’re relatively young."

As for early departures. Selden should inquire about his options. If he doesn't help himself greatly during the post-season then he should come back for his Sr. year. He could have a Mario Chalmers moment and then be gone. I'd give him probably a 60% chance of returning.

Diallo could leave this year whether he makes an impact or not in the post-season. He's a likely first rounder and was always considered an OAD. If he comes back he could improve to a likely lottery pick, but my money would be on him leaving. I'd give Diallo a 30% chance to be back next year (still a decent chance, but less likely).

Bragg should return barring a tremendous tourney performance. I'd give him a 90% chance to return.

Svi should return, but there is an outside possibility of him returning to Europe. His NBA stock would suffer if he did. 95% to return.

Greene could transfer, but nothing in his past makes me think he really wants to leave. He's 95% to return.

Only player I see who is most likely to leave is Diallo. Selden could leave. Everyone else I think is almost for sure to stay.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 10 months ago

I forgot to mention Vick. I could see Vick as a potential playing time transfer, especially if Selden is coming back, but I have seen or heard nothing that would indicate that he is not happy with his situation. The kid seems to be a great teammate and has a ton of potential. Barring Selden leaving, we don't lose any key contributors on the perimeter. Playing time is scarce for Vick next season. But the year after that he could be a starter. He could be a good redshirt candidate. But only if he thinks he will need three seasons to build an NBA resume. My guess is he will play spot minutes next year and key minutes as a Jr and Sr. I think that he has NBA potential as a 4 year player, but I think it would be wise for him to consider a red-shirt next year. Just to have one extra year in the back pocket as insurance.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 10 months ago

I think Vick has a strong future ahead of him at KU. I don't think he leaves but as I said before...they probably don't know yet.

Chad Harris 2 years, 10 months ago

I see Diallo and Wayne leaving. Greene and Svi shouldn't and wouldn't leave. Svi is learning more here than he will overseas. As for Greene, he would have to sit out a year before he can play. He isn't going anywhere.

Just a thought, Wayne is in a slump and clearly he is stuck in his head. Why doesn't he bully his defender like Devin Williams does? He could easily post up his guy and back him down and he needs to keep driving hard.

I will say though,KU will be going to Houston this year; they have a chip on their shoulder. I see Green, Svi,Bragg stepping up their games too. Bill knows the pressure is on him, and all the early exits have left s bad taste in his mouth. Look at the way coach has coached teams in the past. He has gotten the formula down, it's only a matter of time before he gets the NCAA Tournament formula down (which is now). Watch....

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 10 months ago

Not disagreeing BUT I don't think they even know yet. Same wSvi/. I hope for a 2008 repeat and maybe several players going pro.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 10 months ago

Azubuike Is not an OAD. He is a year younger than his class by NBA rules, he won't enter NBA Draft until 2018.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 10 months ago

Exactly, he even stated so. He is at KU to learn the game first, NBA somewhere further down the list.

Harlan Hobbs 2 years, 10 months ago

First off, congratulations on your upcoming marriage, Allison. Hope you have a marvelous day and that you create many memories over the rest of your life.

My only thought has to do with Wayne Selden. My guess is that he will leave, even though he might only be a second rounder. If he is projected at 47 now, that may be the best he can do. The draft always favors the big men and a slew of unexpected foreign players. It will be hard for him to improve his stock as a senior, although I would love to have him experience Senior Day.

I do think that Coach Self's comment is significant. He, of course, always has a pretty good reading on things. I just hope that only one or two at the most leave early.

Jay Scott 2 years, 10 months ago

There are many mock drafts. He's been in the end of the first round and into the second round, depending on which one and what week.... The next weeks will have an impact.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 10 months ago

Mock drafts are less reliable than recruiting rankings..

Andrew Horigan 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't remember what Chalmers was listed as far as mock drafts before the 2008 tourney, but his performance throughout the tourney boosted his stock a lot. I think Selden is in a very similar situation. If the Jayhawks lay an egg and get knocked out early with Selden averaging something under 10 pts... we might see him decide to stay... If they go far and he averages 15+ I'd say it's a safe bet he leaves.

Josh Galler 2 years, 10 months ago

Allison I got married on selection Sunday 12 years ago. I had my brother text me KU brackets while I was taking pics before the wedding

Kristen Downing 2 years, 10 months ago

I though Fraschilla said before Svi played a minute with KU that Svi was gone after two years. If not the NBA, then Europe. I think the only thing that would stop that from happening is safety concerns. I think Svi, Wayne and Diallo are gone. Bragg looks to be having too much fun.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 10 months ago

Fraschilla believed that Svi would be a lock for an NBA lottery pick after two years at KU. He isn't there yet. His family doesn't need to Euroball money, and he wants to play in the NBA. He'll get far more exposure to NBA scouts and GMs at KU than he will in Europe. It should be a no brainer for him to stay.

Brian Mellor 2 years, 10 months ago

Allison, my wife and I too got married on a KU tournament day: March 18th, 2005, a team named Bucknell no one had heard of.

My wife famously quoted: "If they lose that game, you didn't want to watch anyway."

Us and our family and friends were probably the only people in Lawrence that had a good evening, haha. 11 years later, still watching the games together.

Waylon Cook 2 years, 10 months ago

Is siri right? I cant find that distance to be that when i looked.

Freddie Garza 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm hoping that we get to the Elite 8 and see Wichita State. Revenge is a dish best served...cold.

Page Butler 2 years, 10 months ago

One thing I'm sure of is that Perry and Jamari will leave after this year.

Steve Macy 2 years, 10 months ago

Rumor is Hunter and Evan also. Just a rumor though, haven't heard anything on Evan's draft status.

Harlan Hobbs 2 years, 10 months ago

Don't worry Allison. KU wouldn't dare lose on your wedding day, would they? Condolences, Brian on your experience. Did you do something to tick off the "basketball gods?"

Have enjoyed all of the comments today. Hopefully, that will keep up for another few weeks. Rock Chalk!

Jack Hoff 2 years, 10 months ago

On a seperate note, I hope this season has finally debunked the rumors that Bill cannot recruit talented point guards and that he needs Danny to develop big men. The growth of Frank and Devonte under Bill has been incredible and Devonte especially seems primed to become the top PG in the BIG 12 and make some noise Nationally next year. Also Bill has done a great job with Landen and Carlton and they are cetainly going to be big time players in the future. Another obvious one that we never talk about is Perry, Bill has been vital in helping him develop his outside game and he has improved every year he has been here. Hopefully they can win the Ship this year and with the youth they have they could really make a push at back to back next season. But for now Austin Peay should be the only thing on their mind! Rock Chalk!

KJ Quartermaine 2 years, 10 months ago

This is from the website rotoworld.com

"Here is a short breakdown of the best NBA prospects in the South region, with the players listed in the order of their team’s seed:

Cheick Diallo, Freshman, Kansas, F – Diallo’s college career got off to a rough start after he missed the beginning of Kansas’ season while an NCAA investigation took place. Even once he was cleared and able to play, Diallo often had trouble with much of what the team was trying to do on the floor, but the raw ability that made him a big high school recruit would force its way through. 6’9”, with a 7’4” wingspan, Diallo is a bundle of energy on the floor, rushing around trying to make plays on both ends. There isn’t much to his offense right now, especially as a halfcourt scoring option, but he runs the floor very well for his size, and he always looks to finish strong when he has the ball around the basket. Diallo’s bigger impact comes on the defensive end where he can be a good rim protector and rebounder, though some of the finer points of playing defense are still a work-in-progress for him. Diallo has played less than 200 minutes this whole season, but if he enters this draft, his raw talent could draw some team to use a mid-to-late first round pick on him.

Jaylen Brown, Freshman, California, F – The 6’7”, 225 wing was a consensus top five high school recruit last year, and though he has had typical freshmen rough patches this year, he didn’t disappoint. Solidly built, Brown loves to use his body to attack the basket, often leading to an above-average amount of free throw attempts. He relies on his physical ability more than skill right now, but once he has some momentum on the way to the rim, he is hard to stop. His shooting, both mid- and long-range, isn’t particularly strong right now, but it’s not like his shooting form and motion are broken. With his body, Brown is also able to move to the low post in the right match-ups, using his strength to bully his way to the rim. Brown has improved as a defender this year, and is capable of guarding multiple positions, though he still needs some work on the basics. He’ll likely be a top-ten, possibly top-five pick in June, if he declares for the draft.

Ivan Rabb, Freshman, California, F – Another heralded freshman in Berkley, Rabb made steady progress throughout the season to become an important part of the Bears’ rotation. While his low post offense is decent at this stage, he uses his long frame to hit the offensive glass to create extra possessions and easy second-chance opportunities. Rabb hasn’t shown much offensive ability stepping away from the basket area yet, but he hasn’t looked terrible on his few opportunities shooting the mid-range jumper. He draws a lot of contact around the basket, getting to the line at a very good rate, but at just 67 percent, he needs to convert from the free throw line.

Tyrone Wallace, Senior, California, G"