Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Thon Maker to take official visit to KU

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas University basketball recruiting

— Thon Maker, a 7-foot senior forward from Athlete Institute in Ontario, Canada, will make an official visit to Kansas University for Saturday’s Iowa State game, Maker’s guardian, Ed Smith, tells zagsblog.com and sny.tv.

Maker is also considering Arizona State, Indiana, St. John’s, UNLV and Notre Dame.

Smith has said Maker may not commit to a school until he’s been cleared academically by the NCAA.

He has said he does not want a similar situation to that of Cheick Diallo, who was not cleared for participation until after the season had started.

— See what people were saying about No. 1-ranked KU’s Big Monday game at Texas during KUsports.com’s live coverage.

More news and notes from KU’s dominant victory at Texas

By the Numbers: Kansas 86, Texas 56

By the Numbers: Kansas 86, Texas 56

Comments

Mike Riches 1 year, 9 months ago

"Smith has said Azubuike may not commit to a school until he’s been cleared academically by the NCAA."

Think you meant Maker...

Hope Maker enjoys his visit to AFH...I'm much more excited about Cheick returning for another year, which is looking more and more like a real possibility.

Mike Greer 1 year, 9 months ago

I too hope Cheick returns for another year or two. I hope he realizes how much more coaching he'll get at KU than playing in the D-League, and that's where he'll end up as he's no where near ready for NBA prime time. College ball will give him all the playing minutes next year that he can handle, plus he'll have time to grow and mature, while rounding out his game. A year or more at KU could move him way up the food chain when it comes to draft day.

One of the announcers last night commented on he's about 4 years from being an NBA starter, that may not be too far off. It's obvious at this point he's not at the playing level of an NBA bench, much less a starter. But there is a ton of potential. Same goes for Carlton.

Joe Ross 1 year, 9 months ago

Maker's visit is good news. Shut up. Yes it is.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm sorry but I just can not get excited about going after this Thong Maker guy. From all I've read, he's another one of those guys that want to get out of town as quickly as possible, not caring much for the University. I perceive he would be a less talented version of Ben Simmons. After watching him play and hearing how he never attends classes, I'm super happy he's not at KU.

Joe Ross 1 year, 9 months ago

"...he's another one of those guys that want to get out of town as quickly as possible,"

Regardless of their motivation, all players choose their colleges for ultimately selfish reasons. Furthermore, if multiyear players had the talent level of their OAD counterparts, they too would behave as OADs. I think you are not factoring in the role of talent level and the financial motivation that comes from it.

...not caring much for the University."

As above, though most OADs are, as even multiyear players are, "selfish", this should not be construed to mean that they don't "care about" the Universities they play for. Look how Kentucky's and Duke's OADs return for games. We've had our own OADs return to town and campus. Why do they do this if they don't care?

"I perceive he would be a less talented version of Ben Simmons."

Seriously consider how many players have EVER had Ben Simmons' talent.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 9 months ago

I get the self interest factor. What I'm trying to express is the potential the super self absorbed OAD probably will not lay it out late in the season when it counts. An example is Oubre's WSU game, where he let guys out hustle him for loose balls and really did not show much interest to dig deep to win. Selby was the same way...all about Selby, nothing else mattered to him.

We are lucky with the group we now have that have given everything to win the WUGs and Big 12. We may or may not win the NC but I'm confident they will all dig deep down and give everything.

Joe Ross 1 year, 9 months ago

"Super self absorbed"? How do you measure that? I mean beyond just using words? I cant look at a Tyreke Evans or Anthony Davis and Andrew Wiggins and decide how "self-absorbed" they are, much less compare their level of super absorbency to multiyear players. The term you employ is can not be measured. Furthermore, had I not been watching, you might have been able to fool me. But because I have noticed that OADs most often advance their teams and extend their post-game seasons, I think its a grossly miscalculation to say that OADs dont lay it out late in the season. I could give you any number of examples that would just falsify the hypothesis outright. Simply because you find one example does not mean you can logically extend your observation to all (or even a minority) of other cases. "Not all A is B" from your Venn diagram.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 1 year, 9 months ago

That's great news. I had forgotten about Maker and thought Josh Jackson was the only other big time player we were still in on.

Steve Macy 1 year, 9 months ago

Proof reading? A lost art. Hopefully they were talking about Maker not committing and not the still unsigned Azubuike.

Robert Brock 1 year, 9 months ago

Nice to have the kid visit but...PASS.

I hope that Diallo returns and the Hawks get Josh Jackson.

Steve Macy 1 year, 9 months ago

Evidently he did mean Azubuike, I don't know what his connection is, but it is an interesting development and will be worth watching.

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 9 months ago

I know that he is supposedly #1 in the class, but I really am only interested in Jackson if Selden leaves early. I'll even concede that Jackson is more skilled. However, he is a sure OAD, like Wiggins, and I'll take Selden's experience. Besides, my guess is that Jackson wouldn't come to KU anyway unless Selden leaves. His strongest ties seem to be to Michigan State from what I have read.

Joe Ross 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Selden is a senior next year. And it's not just a multiyear player vs. potential OAD player consideration in this case: Wayne Selden is not simply a "role-playing" veteran. On the contrary. He's the type of guy who potentially gives you huge dividends. His experience coupled with the fact that he showed flashes of brilliance means he is as close to a sure thing as you can get without knowing the future.

Having said that, if you can get both you do it!

Brian Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

Only interest in Jackson. We need at least two more if not four. We are losing Ellis, Mickelson, Traylor, and Manning. Plus, we could also lose Seldon, and Diallo. Currently all we have gained is one big time player in Azubuike and 3 star Lightfoot. Clay Young projects to be a walk on. So we at least have 2 spots to fill and maybe four. Current targets are:

Rawle Adkins

Deshawn Coprew

Josh Jackson

Marques Bolden

Jarret Allen

Thon Maker

Taurean Thompson

I hope we get Jackson and would not object to Maker but would take Bolden or Allen over Maker.

Rob Bedford III 1 year, 9 months ago

Ferguson is back on the KU radar after pulling back commitment to Alabama.

Joe Ross 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes. Two spots to fill. But I doubt we lose Selden and Diallo. We are allowed 13 scholarship players, and we have 11 projected for next season:

azubiuke diallo bragg lucas lightfoot coleby mason svi greene graham selden

Being as how we stand to lose Mason, Greene, and Selden to graduation after next season, and "perhaps" Mykhailuk, it looks like our need is guards as we would only Graham is really a sure thing the season after next. Self probably figures to get his guards a year in the system before relying heavily upon them, so I would think a top guard and a multiyear prospect would fill those two spots. Who knows, though. It would be hard to say no to a top big prospect for next season, but that would make the frontcourt crowded with 7 players for 2 spots.

Josh Jackson appears to be a blue chip guard that has as much interest in Kansas as Kansas has in him. Crystal ball has Kansas leading for his services. Rawle Alkins and Jarrett Allen seem cool on Kansas according to the site, so where does Kansas go to fill its last schollie if Jackson chooses Kansas? Terrence Ferguson and Eron Gordon figure to be two guards being considered by Self and his staff.

Joe Ross 1 year, 9 months ago

I forgot LaGerald Vick. Looks like we're down to 1 scholarship. Now I think Maker does not come.

Rodney Pain 1 year, 9 months ago

I honestly think Selden is gone after this season no matter what. The reason he'd have to come back is if we have a disappointing NCAA tournament. But the clock is ticking on Selden's draft stock and I don't see returning helping him. If anything, it'll hurt him. Being older and in a better draft class would leave the possibility that he goes undrafted, whereas this season, he'll be an early 2nd rounder most likely. Bring on Jackson or Ferguson.

Michael Morgan 1 year, 9 months ago

I've been wrong before, but seriously think Wayne could be on the POY short list next season if he returns. He really needs a solid year of consistent play, and this hasn't been it thus far. A hot tourney run could make a huge difference, but I'd hate to see him go now and end up in the D league or overseas. He has the physical tools without a doubt. He just needs to show what he can do in attack mode for a full season.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 9 months ago

It would seem that Jackson coming would be contingent on a very successful March/April that would propel multiple wings (Selden Greene, Svi) into the draft. Otherwise, I don't see more than one leaving resulting in being too crowded for an elite recruit.

With Ellis in particular leaving, and no one really taking over the 4, I could see it being attractive for Maker. Tho 7', my understanding is that he perceives himself as a face-up 4 and different than most of the bigs we have returning. I'm fine with him also as a perceived 1-n-done, because he will still need to perform to see the court, and there is enough competition for motivation and Self will adapt as necessary. In 2 years, Bragg might be ready to lead, but it would seem to me that even with a good off season he could still be surpassed by an elite recruit next year.

Brian Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

IWould TM be "One and Done' or Two and Through

I am not 100% sure that Thon Maker is considered a One and Done with the baggage carried, Scout is the only service ranking him and he is considered #2 behind Bolden. Sport Illustrated wrote a nice article about TM's college decision and TM spoke nicely about KU. Here is what they wrote....

Maker has bulked up—he said he now checks in at 225 pounds after previously weighing in below 200 pounds—thanks, in part, to a diet plan calling for seven meals a day. Scout.com ranks him the No. 2 power forward and No. 5 player in the class of 2016, and DraftExpress projects him as a first-round pick in 2017 his NBA chances.

So, the question would be, can he develop fast enough with sharing time with Obo,lLucas, and Diallo would he get enough playing time to break out and be the prime time starter.the first year. But I am somewhat certain that by his second year he would start and at least be "two and through."

Michael Morgan 1 year, 9 months ago

The biggest improvement for Diallo and Bragg will be in the weight room under the careful instruction of Ms. Hudy. I'm already salivating about next season. Our seniors will be missed. Hoping they all see mega minutes on Saturday.

Russ McCaig 1 year, 9 months ago

He does not look enthused...minimal applauding ...on his phone...still,l we need a RIM protector