Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Jamari Traylor’s alley-oop leading candidate for KU’s best dunk of season

Kansas forward Jamari Traylor (31) swings on the rim after a dunk in the 2nd-half of the Jayhawks 86-56 win over the Longhorns Monday, Feb. 29, 2016 at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas.

— Jamari Traylor accepted a pass from Devonté Graham and put down a thunderous alley-oop dunk midway through the second half of Monday’s 86-56 rout of Texas in Frank Erwin Center.

“It was the best dunk we’ve had this year. I don’t know about overall. He put his elbow on the rim,” Kansas coach Bill Self said of the violent flush. “He was up there. That was a big-time play. It was a perfect pass, just big time.”

Traylor, who suffered a cut on his right elbow that needed four stitches to close in the locker room after the contest, was mobbed by his teammates after the slam.

“The bench was going crazy. There were so many people talking to me at one time it was hard to comprehend,” Traylor said. “It’s good to get all those guys pumped up.

“I have to give all the credit to Devonté for throwing it to me,” Traylor added. “I just went up to get it and that’s it. We practice it every day. We break the press down and end it just the way we did it.”

The dunk over Eric Davis gave KU a 67-36 lead.

“I saw him go up. I guess he got boosted up a little bit (by Eric Davis),” Graham said with a smile. “He (Traylor) can’t get up that high. It was a great finish. We were just being aggressive and taking what the defense gave us. It was a nice play.”

— See what people were saying about No. 1-ranked KU’s Big Monday game at Texas during KUsports.com’s live coverage.

More news and notes from KU’s dominant victory at Texas

By the Numbers: Kansas 86, Texas 56

By the Numbers: Kansas 86, Texas 56

Comments

Steve Zimmerman 3 years, 8 months ago

That Mike Yoder's photo is priceless! Traylor impersonates Carter's hang-over..is definitely the best dunk in a decade of KU bball history, ever. Period.

Steve Macy 3 years, 8 months ago

When they are checking your upper forearm and elbow for scrapes, you nailed it.

Marcus Duncan 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree that was a nasty dunk, but the 2012(KU vs Baylor) Tyshawn Taylor to Thomas Robinson for a mile high, one handed, alley-oop slam is still tops in my memory over the last decade. Great effort from tip to buzzer tonight! Take care of our home court on Saturday and send the Seniors out in style! Rock Chalk!

Mike Riches 3 years, 8 months ago

Loved this play and loved the Sportscenter highlight of the UT player's face, then Bragg's face. Priceless!

Wasn't it at UT last year when Traylor made his play of the season going after a ball at half court? Austin brings out the best in this guy!

Bryce Landon 3 years, 8 months ago

I was listening on the radio, so I didn't see it live; but Bob and Greg were definitely blown away by it. When I saw the replay later, I was like, "Damn, I mean...damn!"

Michael Uphaus 3 years, 8 months ago

Lester Earl Darrin Hancock and Kenny Gregory...monster slams!

Gerry Butler 3 years, 8 months ago

There is just ONE WORD to describe Jamari's dunk it was just - - -SICK lol plain and simple- - SICK. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Justin Kruse 3 years, 8 months ago

That was just sick! Love how Jamari attacks!

Selden's half-court alley-oop to Bragg against Montana was pretty great, too!

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 8 months ago

Great trip down memory lane, Joe. Clearly remember them both, especially the Raef one as I was there to see it live, and was sitting at that end of the court. Jamari's is certainly in that league of highlights.

Mike Greer 3 years, 8 months ago

I could read Svi's lips, ". . . Oh my god, oh my god . . . " Jamari really got up there.