Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Bill Self says Jayhawks’ June workouts have been intense, productive

KU basketball coach discusses Josh Jackson hype on Big 12 summer teleconference

Blue Team guard Josh Jackson scoops a shot under Red Team guard Devonte Graham during the Bill Self basketball camp alumni scrimmage, Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at the Horejsi Athletic Center.

Kansas University's Bill Self applauds the NCAA for letting its basketball coaches hold official workouts with their players while summer school is in session.

"I think it's very important," Self said Wednesday morning on the Big 12 summer coaches teleconference. "I think it's a great rule (that) we have access to our kids even though it's limited to two hours a week in the summertime.

"It does allow us to see and touch 'em depending on how you set it up two to three days a week. I think it is very, very good. I do think there is a culture that exists on campuses that either needs to be understood or improved on and this gives you an opportunity to work on that."

Self said practices have been intense throughout the month of June.

"I've had numerous people come in here and watch our workouts … they are surprised we would go this hard in the summer," Self said. "I'm not saying we practice harder than anybody else, but when you allow your guys to work with coaches, there is a work ethic and culture that's developed. It's a serious time where guys know, 'This is a time we have to get better.' I also think there's a great academic component. You can see and touch your guys multiple times a week where it's basically they need to show up. I think it's a very good rule."

Self was asked how hype surrounding the arrival of top-ranked prospect Josh Jackson compares to say, fellow No. 1-rated prospect Andrew Wiggins during Wiggins' one year in Lawrence.

"I thought Andrew was pretty prepared coming in here. I feel the same about Josh," Self said. "One thing about both those guys, they don't like the attention. I don't feel like there's anything from them right now that they have to basically live up to all the expectations and all these things.

"The feeling I get from Josh is he just wants to be a college kid. Of course we know he won't be a college kid for very long. Certainly he wants us in every way we possibly can to protect and to shield him from all the talk that potentially could go on.

"He's not caught up in it. I know he's a social media guy. I don't think it's something he needs to read every day. Right now in his brief time here, in the month he's been here he's been like, 'Coach I just want to fit in. I just want to be one (of the guys) just like everyone else.' We talk about how everybody watches every move. All media requests come through us. Some things we try to simplify for him. I don't think it will be a huge deal (handling hype). I think it'll be something we get into a lot as we progress closer to the season. Right now he just wants to be a kid and be one of the team and certainly isn't caught up on what everybody is talking about."

Draft talk

Self was asked about the NBA Draft in which KU senior Perry Ellis and juniors Wayne Selden, Jr., and Brannen Greene were not selected.

"I wish there was a way and I don't know if this is possible, a kid like even Brannen (Greene) or Wayne that go through the draft, if they are able to keep their amateur status, go back to school. That's not the case with our guys. They obviously signed with agents (as non-seniors and thus were not eligible to return). The whole thing is maybe there could be an extra protection layer there. I do believe the rule change is positive (to allow players to go to Combine and still pull name out of draft) to get more information. There were a lot of guys that did not go to the Combine that stayed in the draft that did not get drafted."

Self said "maybe an incentive to stay in school is there's some kind of trust fund set up for them if they stay in school and complete it and are drafted. There are a lot of things that have been thrown out there. It's not perfect. I don't have the answer. I don't know how important it is to the NBA to come up with the answer. Even though they have been very cooperative with the NCAA. We've made great strides. I think to make some major, major changes that's going to have to be a serious process and going to take a lot of time to figure out."

Comments

Charles Copeland 3 years, 6 months ago

The answer stay in school ..stop listing to money hungry relatives..people who do not have your best interest at heart.. Self has said many times if you are not a lottery pick..its not worth it..

Glen Miller 3 years, 6 months ago

I have a solution, but it would probably take too many resources and too much time to accomplish......

I'd like the pre-draft process to be somewhat like a job interview. In the sense that the kids must apply for entrance into the draft. What I mean by that is that teams need to interview these kids, comb over their tape and exhaust every option out there to evaluate these kids. After that process is over then they will either be assigned a pass or fail "grade". If you get a passing grade then you are eligible for the draft. If you get a failing grade, then you are not allowed to enter. How they come to that grade is quite simple. After the interviews, scouting and researching..... each team has someone who hands out their grade for each player the submits to enter. At that point once each team has submitted their grade, if you have at least a 51% pass rate, you are eligible to enter. Anything at or below 50% is a fail. Obviously Seniors would automatically be eligible to be drafted, just to clarify.

Now obviously this would take time and effort as well as money..... but by the time the end of their college or high school season is over, the only thing a team would really need to do is work them out and interview them. All the research and tape watching should be done to that point. I know that execs and owners are sometimes wrong about players, but this to me would be one way of trying to make it fair all the way around to teams, fans and players. At least the players would truly know if the NBA as a whole wanted them, not just one single team making a promise that they might not keep.

This is a far fetched reach, I know....... but we need to do something. The system in place is not just broken, but scandalous and deceitful as well. How many of these kids flame out after being drafted and become "busts" or don't ever even make a roster. The NBA chews these guys up and spits them out, basically using them to pump up their brand and then toss them aside when they are of no use. The product is weak and the NBA is terrible outside of the post season. A huge reason is poor drafting and player evaluation.

Brian Wilson 3 years, 6 months ago

The players and NBA teams have plenty of scouting and the players all know what it is. So no amount of additional scrutiny is going to make it any better.

Personally, all players should go to the draft without having signed with an agent. Part of the problem in sports is that some franchises like to deal with only certain agents. Or shall I utter the words "collusion." IMO, teams shouldn't know who the agent is before the draft. Once the draft is over, players not drafted can go back to school. How freaking hard is that. If a player signs with an agent before the draft, the agent should be the one penalized. if the agent is a repeat violator, then the NBA can ban, for a period of time, one year, two years, etc.. any new contracts by that agent for a period of time.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 6 months ago

Self "I don't know how important it is to the NBA to come up with the answer."

I know...it isn't important. They are perfectly happy to let non-drafted players compete on their summer teams then maybe play in the D League.

Self "I wish there was a way and I don't know if this is possible, a kid like even Brannen (Greene) or Wayne that go through the draft, if they are able to keep their amateur status, go back to school."

I don't even want to think about how much it would complicate late recruiting. They are already allowed to explore their draft opportunities. I think everybody knew Greene wouldn't get drafted, if he didn't know then he was self delusional. Selden has several offers from different teams to play in their summer league.

Glenn, I like your solution but I believe there is zero chance that the NBA would go along with any type of pass/fail pre-draft process.They already have set up combines that allow prospects to show what they can do or what they still need to do. Unfortunately, it seems that many players skip out on the combines and wait for individual workouts from interested teams.

In your solution Glenn, would this be a mandatory process for players? I'm not sure such a practice would even be legal. How would it work for players coming from other countries? Can you really tell a 21 -year-old Selden that he cannot enter the draft? The EEOC would surely get involved imo.

Jay Scott 3 years, 6 months ago

Can you imagine the hysterics from Al Sharpton, BLM, Hillary et al the first time a kid of a particular racial group "fails"?

The NBA is far too smart to put itself in that position. They'd rather live with the odd draft bust and with the 60% bankruptcy rate of former players.

Glen Miller 3 years, 6 months ago

My idea is far fetched and would require many tweaks..... especially in wording. My point was that i'd like to see both the league and players protected a little better and this is a way that if made right, could absolutely help in a big way. I'm just a common fan who loves sports and I would have no clue how to make this both legal and feasible, that much I admit. But I also believe that I'm not a moron and it is a pretty solid theory to build from. I'm also realistic and know that something like that would never happen.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 6 months ago

Glenn, I certainly don't think that you're a moron - actually quite the opposite - it's just that getting the NCAA/AAU/NBA/FIBA/EEOC to actually work together for something in the best interest of student athletes and not themselves will be difficult, if not impossible.

So I apologize if that was how my comment sounded.

Glen Miller 3 years, 6 months ago

No, I didn't feel offended by either Jay's comment or yours. I was elaborating a little further because fail was probably not the best word to use even to start lol. No worries man RCJH!!!