Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Chicago DB Robert Topps picks KU

Marist High prospect becomes KU's 6th 3-star commitment in 2017 class so far

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

Late Monday night, roughly 12 hours after learning about an oral commitment from McKinney, Texas safety Akayleb Evans earlier in the day, Kansas football coach David Beaty and company picked up another commitment from a 3-star defensive back.

Topps, like so many athletes these days, announced his commitment on Twitter, saying, "I want to thank God, my coaches, my family and all of the schools that have recruited and shown interest in me. It's been a long journey and lots of hard work. I am extremely blessed and proud to say that I am officially a Jayhawk! #RockChalk."

Not long after, Beaty hopped on Twitter himself to use the customary #NeatDeal hashtag that typically indicates good news of this type, only this time there was an extra tag attached: #GottaLoveChiTown.

KU defensive coordinator Clint Bowen was the lead recruiter for Topps and the newest Jayhawk told Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com that Bowen offered up a flattering comparison when recruiting Topps.

“When I first talked to coach Bowen, he told me he likes my length and he told me I reminded him of Aqib Talib and how he was built,” Topps told Kirby. “That meant a lot to me.”

Topps, KU's sixth 3-star prospect in the current class, is the third defensive back and 10th prospect overall in the 2017 class to commit to Kansas. He has yet to visit the KU campus but plans to do so soon.

“When they talk to me they treat me like family,” he told Kirby. “That goes a long way. Even though I haven’t visited there they kept me up to date with information about the school and videos of the campus. I felt like I knew a lot about the Kansas program. I have been told how nice the school is. I feel great and I know this is definitely the right move.”

Comments

John Fitzgerald 3 years, 5 months ago

My goodness ... Simply impressive. We were 0-12 last year and Beaty and Co. are stealing these recruits from big time programs. I'm glad I have season tickets and I hope to hell he sticks around for years to come. RCJH.

Brett McCabe 3 years, 5 months ago

And just wait until he sees campus! Impressive stuff right now for the KU football program. You can definitely feel a momentum shift!

Austin Lopez 3 years, 5 months ago

So much good news for the football program, one thing that would really make my day is if we landed a 5 star guy....

Tim Orel 3 years, 5 months ago

I'd be happy to land and keep 4 star guys. We had some 5 star guys recently and they just didn't fit in - but heck, I'd take 25 three star players if we could get that many.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 5 months ago

Which 5*?

There have been a few 4's, but I'm not recalling any 5's - ever.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 5 months ago

I guess I was trying to block them out of my memory.

Dale Rogers 3 years, 5 months ago

This is what it takes to start the rebuilding process. And I really like that we are getting youngsters who not only have football talent but also are good people. I'm already getting excited for this season and for watching the progress of this team over the next few years.

Matt Schierlman 3 years, 5 months ago

"Robert Topps, of Chicago's Marist High, chose the Jayhawks despite having offers from 15 Division I programs and never having visited KU's campus."

I had read this multiple times just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Nonetheless, welcome to the Jayhawk family Mr. Topps! You'll have a great opportunity to play and be a part of something great!

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 5 months ago

KU is the only major conference offer he had. Most of his offers were from the MAC, MWC, and AAC. It's a lot of offers, but not an impressive list of schools that offered. Including KU, Northern Illinois was probably his best offer.