Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Ellis completes final workout before draft

Kansas forward Perry Ellis (34) gets up for a shot over Villanova guard Ryan Arcidiacono (15) during the first half, Saturday, March 26, 2016 at KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Kentucky.

Perry Ellis worked out for the Philadelphia 76ers on Monday, then returned to his hometown of Wichita to relax a bit before Thursday’s NBA Draft. He’ll watch the proceedings on TV with family and close friends in Wichita.

“Exhausting but fun,” Ellis, the eighth-leading scorer and 12th-leading rebounder in Kansas University hoops history told NBA.com, referring to traveling to facilities in Philly, plus Milwaukee, Atlanta, San Antonio, Phoenix, New Orleans, Toronto, Boston, New York and Los Angeles for both the Clippers and Lakers.

“It’s fun because not many people get to go through it. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I’m just enjoying it and working hard,” the 6-foot-8 forward added.

To csnphilly.com he added: “It felt like time was moving so slow through these workouts, but it’s finally over. You hope hard work pays off.”

Through the process, Ellis has managed to accumulate a batch of NBA apparel in his size.

“From each workout we get a bag of gear. It’s pretty cool to take it home and when all is said and done say, ‘During my time … the draft process, these are the teams I worked out for.’ I’ve already had some of my friends say, ‘Let me get gear from there.’ I’m happy to give it to them,” Ellis said, smiling.

As a guy projected to go in the second round — some say he’ll be an undrafted free agent — Ellis has been asked the same question at various stops: “What makes you NBA ready?”

“(I’m) a guy I feel can do a lot of things. Get out and guard guards, defend bigger guys also. I feel that will be key,” Ellis said.

“I can be a 3-, 4-man. It depends on the team, whatever will fit best. I feel I can do a little of both. Whatever the team may need I can mold myself into doing, I think.”

On Monday, Ellis’ every move was observed by Sixers director of operations/scouting innovation Vince Rozman. Others to work out: Villanova’s Ryan Arcidiacono, Old Dominion’s Trey Freeman, Buffalo’s Justin Moss, New Mexico State’s Pascal Siakam and Stony Brook’s Jameel Warney.

“Perry’s skilled,” Rozman told csnphilly.com. “He’s a really, really good offensive player for his size. He’s versatile. He has a chance. He’s so productive throughout four years of college.”

Ellis also visited with his former KU teammate Joel Embiid, the Sixers’ overall No. 3 pick in the 2014 draft.

“He was such a smart guy, it was impressive,” Ellis said of 7-footer Embiid. “He picked up things so fast. You could just see his footwork was good. He’s going to be a great player.”

As to what he will expect in watching the draft Thursday, Ellis said: “It’s up in the air. I don’t know. I’m just going to go out there to be with family, just watch and see what happens.”

Alma maters benefit: Ellis has donated one of his KU jerseys to Wichita Brooks Middle School and one to Wichita Heights High School.

KAKE.com reports that Heights will put Ellis’ jersey in its trophy case next to the four state title trophies Ellis helped the Falcons win. Brooks will hang the jersey in a display case next to a working video of a motivational speech Ellis recorded for students.

“That was the first thing that I thought about was giving a jersey to my old coaches, old schools. It’s just something, it’s just a great feeling,” Ellis told KAKE.com.

“I’m awfully proud of him, and anything we can do to recognize his accomplishments and motivate our young kids out here,” Ellis’ high school basketball coach at Heights, Joe Auer, told the TV station.

Comments

Brett McCabe 4 years, 1 month ago

There is absolutely lots of room on NBA rosters for a quality player and quality young man like Ellis. It will be exciting to see which team is the wise team to add him to their roster. Good luck Perry!

Jay Scott 4 years, 1 month ago

As Joe Ross insists, Ellis is a virtual clone of Harrison Barnes as a player. This would seem to indicate that he'll go with the 7th pick, right Joe?

Where is Joe?

Brett McCabe 4 years, 1 month ago

Coming from the guy who said that Diallo is Dennis Rodman. Why are you so weird?

Jay Scott 4 years, 1 month ago

Interesting response. Let's examine.

Do Diallo and Rodman play the same position? Why yes! They do. Do Ellis and Barnes? No. They do not.

Do Diallo and Rodman have essentially the same skill set? Yes, they do! Do Barnes and Ellis? No. They do not.

Does Diallo project to be drafted between pick 20-30, like Rodman? Yes! Again! Does Ellis project to be picked 7th, like Barnes? Only in Joe's delusions...

Do teams see Diallo's upside, despite limited accomplishments, like Rodman? Another Yes!! Do they equate 22 yr old Ellis and 19 yr old Barnes similarly? Again, no.

A better question, Brett. Why are you so bent on humiliating yourself at every comment I make? It would be so nice if you had some small measure of emotional self control....that and a clue about basketball...

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 1 month ago

I lived in Chicago during the Jordan years and watched Rodman play a lot, in Detroit and Chicago. I never thought of Diallo being a Rodman type player until your post. I can definitely see Diallo developing into a Rodman type player for sure. Rodman excelled in Defense and Rebounding...both Diallo;s strengths.

Jay Scott 4 years, 1 month ago

Minus the "intrigue",..... and with the possibility of some offensive game, although he'll be best advised to stifle those urges for the most part beyond finishing on the break and put backs.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 1 month ago

Although I hope Brent is correct, Perry's best long range route may be Europe where his style is more compatible than the "GLADIATOR BALL" we saw in the NBA Playoffs.

Steve Corder 4 years, 1 month ago

GLADIATOR indeed. Best one word description of the NBA.

Mike Greer 4 years, 1 month ago

Whatever happened to real basketball? Should I just quit watching after college ball? How many steps can you take in the NBA before you get called for traveling? And how is it when two players on opposite teams have a massive collision no one is responsible and called for a foul? I'm not entertained by NBA ball.

I hope Perry can fulfill his dream be it in the NBA or in Europe, whatever his dream is. It's refreshing to see such a great yet humble young man.

Robert Brock 4 years, 1 month ago

The NBA is a freak show. I cannot imagine Perry's game working well in the League. Ellis looks like a European player - and, although he is a quiet, shy sort of person, he would be good at teaching and coaching when his playing days are finished. Dude is smart.

Harlan Hobbs 4 years, 1 month ago

Good luck Perry. We all are pulling for you.

Steve Macy 4 years, 1 month ago

I know body wise he is a 3 and skill wise a 4, but who knows? He has tremendous work ethic, and his offensive skill set is varied. If a 6'7" guy, be it Wes Unseld or Draymond Green can make it at the 5 spot, maybe an undersized 4 can make it.

Love KU and wish the best for their athletes, maybe more so for Perry, separated by about 4 decades, he went to the same Jr high, high, and college. The difference? I left no footprints, he did. RCJH