Friday, June 17, 2016

Derryck Thornton picks USC over Kansas, Washington, Miami

Former Duke point guard to sit out season, be eligible in games in 2017-18

Duke's Derryck Thornton (12) drives for the basket during the second half against Yale in the second round of the NCAA men's college basketball tournament in Providence, R.I., Saturday, March 19, 2016. Duke won 71-64. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

Former Duke University point guard Derryck Thornton has decided to continue his basketball career at USC.

Thornton, a 6-foot-2 freshman who recently revealed plans to leave the Durham, N.C., school after one season, on Friday chose the Trojans over Kansas University, Washington and Miami.

Thornton must sit out one season in accordance with NCAA rules. He will be allowed to practice with the Trojans, however.

"He really got along with (associate head coach) Tony Bland, (head coach Andy) Enfield and the whole staff," Derryck Thornton, Sr. told Scout.com. "He liked all four staffs but it was really the trust level at USC with Bland and the staff and the comfort of being home."

Originally from Chatsworth, Calif., Thornton — who played two years of high school ball at Findlay Prep in Nevada — averaged 7.1 points and 2.6 assists while logging 26 minutes a game in Duke’s 36 games. He hit 39 percent of his shots, including 32.5 percent of his threes and 69 percent of his free throws. He had 93 assists versus 59 turnovers with 27 steals.

Thornton was ranked No. 14 nationally by Rivals.com his junior year at Las Vegas Findlay Prep where he averaged 17.0 points and 6.2 assists. He elected to reclassify last summer and play for Duke, which needed immediate point guard help. Because he had repeated the third grade, Thornton entered Duke at the age of 18.

Comments

Jay Scott 5 years, 4 months ago

Kid kept his word and moved closer to home. Hope he does well.

Dirk Medema 5 years, 4 months ago

This should improve our chances of getting Newman and maybe 1 or more other pgs.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 4 months ago

Really thought we'd get Thornton. Guess he was serious about playing closer to home. Disappointing.. .

Dirk Medema 5 years, 4 months ago

With 2 spots left I wonder what rabbit Coach will pull out of his hat this year.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 4 months ago

The longer this thing dragged out the more unlikely we were to sign him. Good luck to him.

Robert Brock 5 years, 4 months ago

Forget Newman. Pocket the schollies and move on.

Shannon Gustafson 5 years, 4 months ago

This isn't a bad plan. Every scholarship player on the roster can give us productive minutes and Bill never goes more than 9 deep by conference play anyway. So other than some major injury problems, it's unlikely anyone we could pick up at this point will sniff the floor for any meaningful minutes this year.

Then considering the 2017 class is the highest rated in a long time (ever?) with 25+ 5 star kids, it wouldn't hurt to have some extra scholarships available. If we pocket the two we have free now and gain 2-3 more schollies to the draft, we'd be doing well to grab a handful of those 2017 5 star players.

Jay Scott 5 years, 4 months ago

Hmmm... I wonder if HCBS has thought of this?

Surely he can't be smarter than all the Chicken Littles, can he?

Jerry Pickering 5 years, 4 months ago

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to the scholarships for Men's basketball, but I thought it was a set number each year (13 I believe). If that is the case, then we cannot pocket the scholarships other than the University saving the money. I believe in the past, Coach Self has given the open scholarships to walk-ons.

Shannon Gustafson 5 years, 4 months ago

If you use them on players, they aren't available to recruit someone with next year because the kids who you used them on would still be on the roster. If you don't use them this year, they are still available next year.

So it's not giving us more scholarships overall, it's giving us more unused ones.

Mallory Briggans 5 years, 4 months ago

I agree with Shannon I would much rather have players that can play right away . Coleby transferred in and got hurt and was unable to get in work with this past years team and unfortunately still isn't up to speed yet.

Drew Doerfler 5 years, 4 months ago

actually, either thornton or newman was a must get in my opinion. there is a very good chance we lose svi early after next year and maybe even devonte. That would leave us with Vick as a returning guard. One returning guard and maybe two if we have Devonte. all the rest of our guards would be freshman that dont know the system and we know how well freshman do when they don't know self's system. To me, that's kind of scary to possibly have only one returning guard. After this year, we will lose mason, josh, probably Svi, and maybe Devonte. That leaves us with Vick for 3 starting positions and subs.

Tony Bandle 5 years, 4 months ago

Think about it. We'll lose Landen, Frank, and Josh for sure.Then throw in Svi and Devonte as definite possibilites. And then a good chance Carlton gets grabbed, that's 2/3rds of our active scholarship roster.

At least KU will have plenty of that most precious quality for the 17/18 season....PLAYING TIME!!

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 4 months ago

I think Devonte stays but all the rest are gone.. I'm hoping Bragg leaves because he had an incredible season on the way to a NC. Graham, Vick and Udoka will be the backbone of next years team.

Steve Macy 5 years, 4 months ago

I have no inside knowledge on this man, I do not know his character, but he did say he wanted to play closer to home.
The KU homer in me does get slightly defensive and figures that location, plus not wanting to compete for a starting spot, is what did KU in. The way I see it, KU with Coach Self will always have top notch recruits fighting it out for playing time, USC, not as much. RCJH, next?

Aaron Paisley 5 years, 4 months ago

So someone above suggest pocketing the two scholarships and moving on to focus in 2017. Tony mentions all the possible players KU could lose (2 to graduation, Josh Jackson 99.9999% gone, and Bragg, Graham, and Svi are all on various 2017 mock draft boards so they're all on the NBA's radar right now. The only players that can be reasonably assumed to return are Vick, UA, Coleby, Lightfoot, and Maxwell.

So we're looking at 2017 having anywhere from 5 to 8 available scholarships by pocketing the two current available scholarships. Adding a player like Malik Newman at this point brings that number to between 4-7, and ensures KU will have some experience on a team that is currently projected to be pretty inexperienced in 2017-18.

Shannon Gustafson 5 years, 4 months ago

Certainly getting Newman if he chooses us would be great. That's the only immediate "impact" player (after sitting a year) outside of some unknown international player or something that is still currently available.

Mallory Briggans 5 years, 4 months ago

I see Marcus Lee also went back home commiting to California. Another gone off the board .

Harlan Hobbs 5 years, 4 months ago

Lot of good and varied comments. For my "two cents" worth, I would like to see us get Newman if for no other reason than he will have a year of practice in the KU system before getting into a game. That could be huge if we lose as many players as are predicted after this coming year.

If we don't get Newman (I'm not terribly optimistic anyway) and there aren't any other guards immediately available as a freshman or a transfer, then I agree with Mr. Brock on holding the two scholarships and trying to get some 4 or 5 star recruit(s) who might be effective immediately. Fortunately, we found that in our recruitment of Frank Mason and Devonte Graham, who weren't even 5 star recruits.

Harlan Hobbs 5 years, 4 months ago

One other thing. Kudos to the KU fans, none of whom have slammed Thornton for his decision. Compare that to the UK fans, many of whom wished injury on Andrew Wiggins when he chose KU over Kentucky.

Danny Hernandez 5 years, 4 months ago

LBummer about Thornton because he would have been a great addition but I understand his wanting to play near home. USC's a great University but their basketball program is obviously not on the same level as ours thus the delay in his decision so I don't think it was an apples to apples comparison. Just wanted to be near home and can't blame him.

Gerry Butler 5 years, 4 months ago

Not really surprised about Thornton"s decision for USC. From all I had been reading- - -hearing from other resources close to the program was, The family was really impressed by KU, loved the visit BUT due to the whole Duke Scenario they was just keeping it close this time with Family and with USC and Washington both having family on staff plus actually being closer to home- - thus the outcome.- - Was also stated that Ku staff never knew where all the smoke about them being in on Newman was coming from, that at the time that was ALL a one sided situation, they were busy goin in totally in on Thornton and WAS NOT recruiting Malik, and coming out of Thornton's camp that if KU offered Malik, or Malik committed here then no way was Thornton coming.Now that Thornton has said he will be attending USC, they said things may change- - they may offer Malik and continue to recruit PG'S for 2017, Malik IS NOT a point guard- - Malik is a 2 guard him playing point is not a good fit so like previously said if he comes the will continue to recruit for 2017 point guard, this coming from people close to the source

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm a bit confused with what you are saying. Am I correct to conclude, from what you say, that the Thornton camp put out word intended for KU 'if KU recruited offered Newman there was no way Thornton would attend KU"? I'm confused by this and why they would make such a demand given Newman is not a PG and the close likelihood he'd attend USC or Washington based upon proximity and family. If true, that's quite an audacious demand for someone to make. I'm left to conclude, 1) Thornton is demanding self-absorbed person, or 2) Thornton thinks Newman has some character or a playing style incompatible to his, or 3) your story has some errors.

Gerry Butler 5 years, 4 months ago

no my story has no errors, this si coming from someone that inside information from KU staff. They said they has been informed that there was absolutely ZERO CHANCE Newman and Thornton would land at Ku- - ZERO, NADA ZELCH, Again they loved Ku visit BUT because of the duke situation they felt a lot more comfortable keeping it close to family this time round and that with USC having family members on staff this is where they felt MOST COMFORTABLE possibly like you said, Thornton maybe just felt there was something about Newman had some playing style incompatible to his- - but there WAS NO WAY KU was getting Thornton if Newman committed. There again Ku insiders couldn't figure out who had came up with the idea they were recruiting Newman while Thornton was still available, At the time they was ALL IN on Thornton and none what so ever on Newman- -Newman might have been on them but not the other way- -quite possibly that's why you haven't seen a Newman visit as where he HAAS visited NC State and others, and as of right now no Ku visit stated. Again now that Thornton has committed they may decide to opt to recruit Newman and continue to recruit PG"S for 2017 they stated that was a possibility.- - -Errors?- - I Think Not- -but you believe or come to whatever conclusion that pleases you

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 4 months ago

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I was told Thornton and his dad had given every indication possible he'd attend Kansas. I bet Self feels burned by this. However, I doubt it's the first time, nor the last, he feels burned by a recruit. Since Self badly wanted Newman out of HS, I bet he goes after him now. Either way, Self's a competitor and will string something together. If he does not get the HS recruits, he'll get a senior transfer or an international player.

Brian Mellor 5 years, 4 months ago

It would help a whole lot if you used at least a few more, properly-placed periods.

Gerry Butler 5 years, 4 months ago

Here we go. I failed to realize this was a grammer site, an English tutorial, I've never to say that I get periods, comma's, exclaimation points, Capitalization, correct. Then again I've never quite grasped the whole thing with people like you who if more then anything that like to come in here and instead of focusing on an article- - you come in to be-little- - critique, about anything other then the article. I bet in the end run, when it was all said and done, you got the just of what I was saying didn't you? If your all wrapped up in studying, picking apart comma's, periods, and anything else you can think of on my posts- - here is a little tid bit to absorb - -you see my name and my comment just take your mouse and scroll right on past what I have to say, that way you won't have to worry about proper English and such- -OR better yet how about just try focusing on the subject at hand - - Sports articles, hey there is an Idea- - But thanks for stopping by and HAVE A GREAT DAY