Tuesday, June 7, 2016

KU basketball’s Late Night set for Oct. 1

Dressed like number 1 pick Andrew Wiggins from the 2014 NBA Draft, Kansas head basketball coach Bill Self addresses the fieldhouse crowd during Late Night in the Phog on Friday, Oct. 10, 2014.

The Kansas University men's basketball program announced Tuesday that the 2016-17 season will begin as early as possible in October.

Late Night in the Phog is set for Saturday, Oct. 1 and will run from 6:30 p.m. to approximately 9:30 p.m.

As is the case at men's basketball home games, KU students may enter Allen Fieldhouse two hours prior to Late Night festivities. KU students will enter through their customary, separate game-night entrance on the northeast side of Allen Fieldhouse. And doors will be open to the general public at 5 p.m.

Admission is free and Late Night will remain a ticketless, first-come, first-served event. No re-entry passes will be distributed. Children 12 and under will not be admitted without an accompanying adult. The Allen Fieldhouse doors will be closed when the arena reaches capacity.

This year's event will feature recognition of KU's unprecedented 12th-straight Big 12 Championship, music by the KU pep band, skits by both the men's and women's basketball teams, video highlights from KU's Rock Chalk Video department, coach and player introductions, scrimmages by the KU men's and women's teams and much more.

More details about the 2016 Late Night in the Phog will be released closer to Oct. 1.

Additionally on Oct. 1, Kansas' volleyball team will host Baylor at 1 p.m., in the Horejsi Family Athletic Center. The KU volleyball team is coming off a record-breaking season that ended at the 2015 Final Four.

Comments

Ryan Mullen 3 years, 8 months ago

Nobody cares about basketball. Please keep the football and Women's volleyball articles coming.

Brian Zachary 3 years, 8 months ago

Seems like Late Night isn't so late anymore

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 8 months ago

Actually, it is about the same time each year now since the exhibition games start in early November.

I assume you are being facetious Ryan. There's really nothing to talk about in football. We've been down so long now that it is hard to even look up. Wish I knew what it would take to get us back to a decent program. We've never gotten many 4 or 5 start recruits, so a different strategy must be needed. A start would be to emulate Bill Snyder at KSU, if it is even possible.

I'm willing to give our head coach more time because I still think that he can be a winner. However, the next couple of years will tell the tale. If there is no improvement, it will be "goodbye" to him too I'm afraid.

Tim Orel 3 years, 8 months ago

What recruits are scheduled to attend?

Greg Ledom 3 years, 8 months ago

Personally, I think Late Night has gotten rather boring. Hasn't been late for a long time. I'm actually OK with that. But the monotonous dance routines with or without players is boring. They don't even do live skits (ones without dancing) anymore as those are taped. I mean who doesn't want to stare at a video board to watch taped skits. The highlight is the video to Dream On, banners dropping and the scrimmage. I'd actually be good with just that. Am I totally off here? I'm not a glass half empty guy, but the event is a shell of what it used to and still could be. I've missed maybe 3-4 since 83 and sense will miss more starting this year.