Friday, July 22, 2016

Svi, Ukraine meet German team today

Kansas guard Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (10) gets to the bucket past Austin Peay guard Khalil Davis during the second half, Thursday, March 17, 2016 at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa.

Kansas University junior guard Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk’s Ukrainian national team will meet Germany in the quarterfinals of the FIBA Under 20 world championships today in Finland.

Winner will meet either Spain or Latvia on Saturday.

The 6-foot-8 Mykhailiuk has averaged 12.8 points (off 33.9 percent shooting, 19 percent from three) 6.5 rebounds and 2.8 assists while averaging 29.9 minutes a game for Ukraine (3-1).

“I want to help make my teammates better, represent my country and try to win every game,” said Mykhailiuk, who had 17 points, six in overtime, in a 72-70 win over Latvia. He had 14 points and 11 rebounds in a loss to Slovenia and 12 points in a win over Serbia.

“I am trying to do what is best for my team, not for myself. I’m a leader on this team. I have to help my team win. It doesn’t matter how — score, make assists, play defense, sit on the bench,” he added to FIBA.com.

Coach of the Ukrainian team is Maksym Mikhelson, who traveled to Lawrence last year to work with Mykhailiuk when his Jayhawk teammates traveled to the World University Games in South Korea.

He was ineligible to play since he’s not a U.S. citizen.

“He has been my coach all my life. He trusts me and I trust him,” Mykhailiuk told FIBA.com.

Robinson to attend Late Night: Jeremiah Robinson, a 6-foot-7 sophomore power forward from Roeland Park Bishop Miege High, will attend KU’s Late Night in the Phog on an unofficial campus visit, Robinson told Jayhawkslant.com on Thursday.

Robinson, the son of former KU forward Lester Earl, is playing for KC Run GMC in the Jayhawk Summer Finale AAU tournament at the Drive5 Sports Complex in Overland Park.

Robinson said he is considering KU, Washington, Wake Forest, Creighton, Notre Dame, Virginia, Memphis, Stanford, North Carolina and others.

“It’s crazy. He had a 40-inch vertical. He’s more of a power dunker, rebounder, shot blocker. I think I can shoot better than him, pass a little better than him,” Robinson told Jayhawkslant.com, referring to his dad. “His athleticism is a whole lot better than me. He’s helping me work on that.”

Brown to cut list: Troy Brown, Jr., a 6-foot-6 senior shooting guard from Centennial High in Las Vegas, tells Zagsblog.com he’s looking to cut his list of schools soon.

Brown, who is playing in the NY2LA Summer Showdown in his hometown of Vegas, has a list of KU, Duke, Cal, Arizona, Oregon, Stanford, UNLV, UCLA and others.

“I feel like I need to take my visits and figure out where I’m going to go and just get on campus and talk to the coaches about what position I’m going to play and what they see for my future,” Brown told Zagsblog.com.

“I would say building a one-on-one connection with the coach (is most important),” he added “That’s huge for me, especially if I am going to play that point-guard position. I need to know how he feels about everything and what he wants me to do.”

FOE eliminated: Former KU guard Tyshawn Taylor scored 13 points off 3-of-6 shooting (6-of-10 from line) with four rebounds and one assist in Team FOE’s 99-83 loss to City of Gods in the third round of The Basketball Tournament on Thursday in Philadelphia. The loss eliminates FOE from the $2 million winner-take-all tourney. Former KU guard Elijah Johnson had two points, four boards and two assists. Marcus and Markieff Morris served as general managers of the team.

Comments

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 3 months ago

Not mentioned in the article is Mykailiuk didn't look all that great vs Belgium (8,8,6) with 5 TOs and no steals in about 28 minutes. Three of his TOs were sloppy play which would earn him a seat on the end of a Bill Self bench. Worst of all, he did not seem to be playing with near the energy he brought in the first 3 games. I don't mind so much the TOs when he is going full out expanding his game but a sloppy un-energetic effort is rare for him. Don't get me wrong, there were stretches he looked sensational but those stretches were negated by some of his other play. It might be that he is a little tired of playing with his teammates, although he'll never say it, because they are not very good ball players.

I'm still have not recovered from the trauma that Kansas is recruiting Lester Earl's son. It seems like only a few seasons ago he was showing off for Wilt. I know the young man needs to find his own fit but surely KU must hold some kind of genetic DNA claim to Robinson. If one of Michel Jordan's sons turned out to be an elite player, could anyone really see them playing anywhere else than UNC?

I'm shocked the LJW has yet to run an article about the Big 12 realignment, other than the AP story they picked up when the news fist broke.

Matt Tait 3 years, 3 months ago

Sorry to shock you. There's one up now. We've all been more than a little distracted down here this week.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 3 months ago

Matt, I have been following events at the LJW and sympathies with GB and the others. Your business is in transition. Keegan, GB and you should perhaps look into taking over ownerships of 'kusport.com' and selling your services to the new LJW. We have been going through a rough ordeal in the Oil & Gas industry with almost 200,000 people losing jobs over the past year and half. The only safe jobs, even if you don't actually do work, are with the government or in education.

Scott Lippoldt 3 years, 3 months ago

Suzi, I live in Michigan and don't keep up on KU/Lawrence news except sports. Can you tell me what's going on with the LJW? Thanks...

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 3 months ago

www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/jul/19/journal-world-staff-changes-announced/

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 3 years, 3 months ago

Excellent points all around Suzi. Mykailiuk isn't playing nearly to the level many of us were hoping for this summer (19% from 3?!) and reading about Lester Earl's son sure made me feel old(er)!

Chris DeWeese 3 years, 3 months ago

Oh Svi. Will you ever live up to your billing?

Joseph Bullock 3 years, 3 months ago

19%? WOW! But to be honest, as much as I like Svi, I don't ever remember him being a statistically good shooter, from deep-not playing for Ukraine, and not at KU! However, he is a very streaky shooter, and when he gets hot, he is pretty much 'on fire'! I'm hoping he will find a lot more consistency, this coming season! I also want to comment on something Suzi said, about Svi being tired of playing with his teammates! I don't think he is tired of playing with them (as some, or most of them, are probably Lifelong friends of his)-but when, as Suzi says, his teammates are not very good, that makes for '2 things'- Svi is probably frustrated quite a bit, because defenses are most likely set, to stop him, and his bad stats are also, probably because of not having enough help!

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 3 months ago

I think you hit it on the head saying he's probably frustrated. Against Belgium his energy level was much lower and at times showed some frustration. When he looks to drive, their are always two guys ready to pick him up. The Ukrainian team D needs to improve drastically to be classified as bad.

Although his shooting stats were poor with alarmingly high TOs, he was ultra aggressive all over the court resulting in steels, turnovers, broken up passes, etc. Still Svi has had a few more than his share of sloppy plays throughout the tournament. Germany today will be a big test, which commences in a couple of hours (www.fiba.com/europe/u20/2016/2207/Ger...

Tim Orel 3 years, 3 months ago

Are there any other US college students on the rosters of any of the remaining U20 teams? I'd be interested to know if there are, but when I search I see the player names but I haven't come up with anything other than their country's U20 team. Unless I were to go name by name, and I'm hoping someone here has done that dirty work.

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 3 months ago

My favorite statistic re: Svi was his 11 rebounds. If he can duplicate that at KU, he will be even more valuable as potentially a fill-in on occasions for the "bigs." Other than the "5" position, he could possibly play every position on the floor. The same is true for Josh Jackson.

What a year this could be! Rock Chalk!

Titus Canby 3 years, 3 months ago

Gary, good to see a story from you. Does this mean you're staying? If not, I'll miss your always awesome reporting.