Sunday, July 17, 2016

Mykhailiuk unloads for 14 in U-20 tourney

Kansas guard Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (10) puts up a three over Texas Tech guard Devaugntah Williams (0) during the second half, Saturday, Feb. 27, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University junior guard Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk scored 14 points off 5-of-22 shooting and grabbed 11 rebounds in Ukraine’s 70-68 loss to Slovenia in the first game of the FIBA Under 20 European Championships on Saturday in Helsinki, Finland.

The 6-foot-8 Mykhailiuk hit one of seven three-pointers as well as three of four free throws. He had two assists, two steals and one turnover in 36 minutes.

Slovenia’s Nejc Martincic hit a driving layup to beat the final buzzer and assure the victory. Mykhailiuk’s Ukraine team will meet Serbia at 8:15 a.m., today in its second game in Group C. Group competition determines seeding in the 16-team bracket to determine the overall champion. The event concludes on July 24.

To watch a replay of Saturday’s game, go to the Web address http://bit.ly/29LIy1m

White disputes ‘villain’ tag: Former KU and Nebraska forward Andrew White III, who is visiting Michigan State this weekend, said a meeting with Husker coach Tim Miles ultimately led to his decision to become a graduate transfer.

“It (meeting) was interpreted as a slap in the face, as if I was saying I didn’t believe in the program, my teammates or the coaching staff,” White told mlive.com. “Really, I was just thinking about best-case scenario and worst-case scenario for everybody. I think that’s something a lot of people do. When I was expressing those concerns, I thought that being one of the older guys (on the Nebraska team) would kind of put me in a place where I could talk about those things. So I talked to Tim Miles and he expressed his thoughts about me. We’re grown men and we had the right to have some differences in opinion.

“Ultimately, that’s what kind of sparked my decision. I didn’t want to be in a situation where there was a bridge burned and I wouldn’t be able to do what I dreamed of doing. So I thought it was best for both parties to move on in another direction.”

White, who has been criticized by some Husker fans for leaving the team in June, said he was denied the opportunity to “make a statement and approach it the way that I wanted to — so that it would have had some sensitivity and something genuine attached to it. That’s kind of why it’s been so ugly and there’s been so much heat. So I’m kind of being interpreted as classless and as not caring about anyone, but I don’t think that’s the case.”

White, who has also visited Syracuse, and is said to be considering Texas, VCU and Louisville, realizes he’ll be even more a villain to NU fans if he chooses MSU and stays in the Big Ten.

“I’m confident in myself as a person,” White told mlive.com. “I’m not as bad of a person as the Nebraska fan base is deeming me. I just understand that it’s sports and sports are emotional. People are invested in it. So I’m not going to hold a big grudge or fight back at Nebraska. If I go to Michigan State, I would just go in there and do my best just like I would anywhere else.”

Summer league: Former KU wing Kelly Oubre Jr., scored 17 points off 4-of-15 shooting (1-of-7 from three) and grabbed seven rebounds in Washington’s 88-85 loss to Chicago on Saturday in NBA summer-league action in Las Vegas. He was 8 of 12 from the line in 30 minutes.

Oubre remains a popular interview target as he gears for his second season in the league.

The New Orleans native, who moved to Houston with his dad in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, talked to csnmidatlantic.com about his travels. He played his senior year of high school in Las Vegas, then one year at KU before being drafted by the Wizards.

“I’ve been in like four different states playing for four different teams in like four different years. I’ve seen new faces each and every year,” Oubre told CSN. “It’s not going to be a smooth transition, but you’ve got to live. I’ve got to continue to get my money. All respect to those guys (former teammates Drew Gooden and Alan Anderson whom he cited as mentors that are no longer with the team) and I’m praying for the best for them, but it’s not going to stop what I got going here.”

Asked what he’d do if he was not a basketball player, he said: “I’d probably be a fashion designer. Computer nerd. Video game expert probably. Something along the digital lines. I’d probably be working with you guys (media). I’m a basketball player first and foremost. That’s what I do.”

And asked to pick his all-five NBA team, he came up with: “Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Shaquille O’Neal. Four man. I’m going to get me a stretch-4 because that’s how the game is going now. I‘m going to throw Jared Dudley in there,” he added of a former teammate.

Team FOE wins: Former KU guard Tyshawn Taylor scored 20 points off 8-of-16 shooting to lead Team FOE to a 90-82 victory over Liberty Ballers in a first-round East Regional game of The Basketball Tournament on Saturday in Philadelphia. Former KU guard Elijah Johnson had one point in 16 minutes, missing five floor shots for the winners. Team FOE will meet Team Mary today in the second round. To watch a replay of Saturday’s game go to the Web address http://bit.ly/29DD9b7

Comments

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 5 months ago

I loved Mykailiuk's consistent aggressive play! He'll be a sure lottery pick if he gets his shots to drop. His 3-ball mystifies me since it every one of them look terrific but incredibly rarely finds the inside of the cylinder. I'm not sure if I have every followed someone so closely for a 3 year stretch that has always looked so good shooting but with such below-par results. Hopefully Mykailiuk will continue to be aggressive and his shots start to drop as he gains more confidence. If he does...wow...I can not wait to see that Mason-Graham-Jackson-Mykailiuk-Bragg (or Lucas) lineup on the court! That would be 4 guys with PG skills and not a bad 5...how is that for a fast team that can handle and pass the ball!

Kansas fans will not be going the way of NU fans with those kind of thoughts about AWIII. We know he's a classy guy and as a 5th year player, he should be able to have an adult talk with the coach. I'd love to see him back in AFH but not real comfortable with him going to UT. He could make that team a considerable threat to KU's run at number 13.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

Doesn't Coach have a man to man with all the guys at the end of the season? Seems odd that Miles would take exception to a player coming in to find out how he's doing. Where the coach sees him and the team heading in the next year.

At first it seemed odd that he was there for 2 years but only played 1 before leaving, but this makes more sense now. Good for AWIII,

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 5 months ago

That graduate rule is great for the players. I love it that players that have graduated have the right to transfer anywhere and can play immediately.

Jay Scott 2 years, 5 months ago

The graduate rule benefits programs like Kansas. Jayhawk players typically only transfer out when they won't play. Players at less accomplished schools tend to transfer to the big schools.

I'm fine with a player who graduates in three years doing whatever they please. If I were a coach at a smaller school that lost a player who had redshirted I would be ticked.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 5 months ago

-The whole AWIII situation is a big head scratcher to me. If AWIII ends up aT Michigan State I'm just gonna SMH. Personally, I felt AWIII should have red-shirted back in the day and I feel he had a couple different times to do that at Kansas.

It's such an odd situation because had AWIII just stayed at Kansas and redshirted the year he transferred to NU...he ultimately would be in the exact same role and position he would be at Kansas if he ends up at Mich State. Just weird all the way around.

-I've watched svi 3 times summer and his game gets me excited but his results still make me wonder. He has flashes of brilliance and then just mind boggling plays. He's been putting up a lot of shots this summer but his shooting percentage from all over the court has not been good. Even his decision making on the Ukrainian team hasnt been great.

Svi is certainly thinking way too on the court. IMO he wants to please everybody around him so much he just forgets to just "play". Svi is gonna be interesting player this year for KU. He's got a herky jerky game and hopefully he can figure it out. Svi is a good kid but his game reminds me of Selden his first two years. It's hard to produce better than the "hype" that's been placed upon you at such a young age.

Jay Scott 2 years, 5 months ago

AWlll was never going to get off the bench at Kansas. Releford, Mclemore, Wiggins, Selden, Oubre, Svi, Jackson and even Greene were always going to be ahead of him.

... perhaps you have some obscure article from some magazine where some person says they think otherwise?

Chris Shaw 2 years, 5 months ago

KFC, Is he gonna get off the bench at Michigan State? Again, since you have hard time making correlations thats why the whole AWIII situation is weird. But, then again, I don't expect you to make any knowledgable correlations with regard to anything. Perhaps, you can misquote someone else's posts today. I'm sure mine will suffice for you. And..Go...

Jay Scott 2 years, 5 months ago

Chris. Anger is no substitute for logic.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 5 months ago

Ignorance unfortunately still allows you to have a voice, KFC. We live in a beautiful country, don't we? You will always have a place. You should be proud. KFC, 2 claps...hit it!

Jay Scott 2 years, 5 months ago

Chris. I'm truly sorry that pointing out the lack of logic in your comments has reduced you to this. Show some self awareness, save what little dignity you might have and go for a walk.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 5 months ago

Will he play at Michigan State if goes there?

Jay Scott 2 years, 5 months ago

It's your question. You answer it. It has nothing to do with what did, could or would happen at Kansas.

Thats your third most embarrassing tendency. 1)The infantile insults. 2) The random and often conflicting quotes from an obscure article. 3) The insistent and irrelevant non sequitur question...

Chris Shaw 2 years, 5 months ago

You remember that time when you wanted to bring AWIII back for the WUG games?

Jay Scott 2 years, 5 months ago

Another non sequitur random babble..... There's no end to it with you, is there?

Chris Shaw 2 years, 5 months ago

Nah, just an obscure article with your comments. Great idea though. Kudos.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 5 months ago

Absolutely Jay. White saw that Frankamp, Svi, Greene (a major mistake) were going to be the players that HCBS had decided to go with. Personally, I believe White was better than all three but then he still had to deal Selden, Wiggins and Oubre. White came along at probably the very worst moment possible. Far too many players and just not enough slots. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see AW3 go a lot further in the NBA than the first three players I mentioned.

Chris, the reason I believe White wasn't going to redshirt is that he saw that HCBS was continuing to load up 1-3. I don't believe White was afraid of the competition but he obviously saw Svi, Frankamp, Greene were already ahead of him despite their lack of production. I would love to see Svi show everyone why he has been so highly rated but even in his 14 points he shot 5/22. Far from impressive.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 5 months ago

The most distressing are his misses at the rim...point blank, including a missed dunk in the last minute or so.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, svi still has some mind boggling moments. I think he needs to find that balance. Personally, i think it's between the ears but hopefully he can figure that out and gain some confidence. Would like to see him develop some "Swag".

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 5 months ago

Suzi, I believe that statement could be used to describe at least 2/3's of the players on this team. Even with all the positive statements towards Ellis at the end of his career, it was his inability to finish at the rim that cost him a second round draft pick... At least one of the reasons. He has the footwork to be an outstanding 4 but lacks the size. At the 3, plenty of size but just not enough of an outside scoring threat. Would really like to see Udoka, Bragg, Colbey and Lucas breaking some rims this year.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

I think AWIII is looking at some schools that don't have as much depth at the 3 spot. That is one spot that has been pretty full for us for quite a while. I think MSU just lost their 2 & 3 that weren't replaced with a 5*. Good move on his part, especially when his former coach was apparently jerking him a bit.

Chris DeWeese 2 years, 5 months ago

Is it bad that I'm not impressed with Svi? I understand he's young, but he doesn't seem to be developing into the superstar everyone thought he would.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 5 months ago

Avi looks sensational! His lone problem is the ball does not go through the hole, regardless where he shoots it from. He's far to good a player and shooter for that to continue. Once he gains some confidence in his shot...watch out basketball world.

Chris DeWeese 2 years, 5 months ago

You may be right. Time will tell, but I guess you can say that about everything.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

Svi has occasionally shot well, but yes, in general it seems that he struggles with his shooting, and his average definitely has not been there.

Aaron Paisley 2 years, 5 months ago

At what point does Svi just get labeled a bad shooter? 2 yers of bad shooting at KU, bad shooting for Ukraine. At some point, you can't call him a good shooter when there's multiple years of data that show he's not a good shooter.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 5 months ago

He is still under 20, although a Junior. His stroke and technique are far too good to be labeled a poor shooter. It has got to be a mental issue. Once he breaks through with a streak of good shooting games, hopefully he'll be on his way.

What Self said about Jackson holds through in spades for Mykailiuk..."He's only consistent shooting away from being a top NBA lottery pick" or something along that line.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree, Aaron! Svi is still a mystery.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 5 months ago

"Avi looks sensational! His lone problem is the ball does not go through the hole"

I'm not sure how you can look sensational when you're shots don't fall. If Svi wants to play point guard than he needs to cut way back on his turnovers. Maybe the shooting guard would be his best position. Take some of the pressure off of him when he shoots the three and allow him to get more into the flow of the game. He has quick footwork when driving to the rim. As a 3, sensational is not how I would describe him.

To look sensational the absolute most important aspect needs to be scoring. 5 of 22 at the FIBA games is a long way from sensational.. If anything, his 11 rebounds are more impressive than his shooting.

Benz Junque 2 years, 5 months ago

Eh, wut? Svi shot 5-22. He seems to have that same problem at every level and every tourney. At some point he has to go from a guy with potential to just a guy that doesn't shoot well.

David Robinett 2 years, 5 months ago

Agree, Chris. I never could figure out the hype, other than based on "potential".

14 on 5 of 22 is not impressive.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 5 months ago

The "Potential" designation given by college scouts, nba scouts, national recruiting sites, and team specific recruiting sites for all these recruits is certainly a troublesome element, but that's a topic for another day.

Creighton Coover 2 years, 4 months ago

I though the same thing. That's a poor choice for a headline. I would never describe 5-22 shooting as "unloading" on the other team. To me, 5-22 is really struggling from the field. Can you imagine if Svi shot 5-22 in a conference game that we lost? He'd get killed by fans.

Edward Daub 2 years, 5 months ago

I like SVI ! I like SVI alot!

The Title "SVI Unloads for 14" is a bit deceiving.

When we find out that he took 22 shots from the floor.

SVI is solid! NBA material? Time will tell.

Harlan Hobbs 2 years, 5 months ago

He won't be taking 22 shots a game under Bill Self. He better improve his accuracy if he wants significant minutes.

Titus Canby 2 years, 5 months ago

Svi plays smart, is athletic, has great fundamentals, but as Suzi says, the ball just won't go in the hole. (Sounds like my putting.)

I wonder if we could hire Tyrell Reed as a shooting coach?

Humpy Helsel 2 years, 5 months ago

Svi is like many players in that he needs to earn PT to stay on the floor and work through mistakes. He has shown the offensive talent, his defense improved dramatically last year, is an above average passer, and he has a lot of natural athletic ability. Most of his issues are between his ears because of a very demanding coach who expects him to play within the design of the offense. This has to be the year he is on the floor for extended periods. If that doesn't happen, Svi would be better off playing overseas for money and hoping NBA scouts find him that way.