Sunday, July 17, 2016

Mykhailiuk nets 12 in win

Kansas guard Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (10) puts up a three over Texas Tech guard Devaugntah Williams (0) during the second half, Saturday, Feb. 27, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University junior guard Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk scored 12 points off 5-of-9 shooting and grabbed three rebounds in Ukraine’s 90-69 victory over Serbia in the second pool play game of the FIBA Under 20 European Championships on Sunday in Helsinki, Finland.

The 6-foot-8 Mykhailiuk hit one of four three-pointers and now has made two of 11 threes total for (1-1) Ukraine. He also had eight turnovers to one assist with two steals in 22 minutes.

Ukraine will next meet Latvia at 10 a.m., Central time, on Tuesday in Finland.

Group competition determines seeding in the 16-team bracket to determine the overall champion. The event concludes on July 24.

To watch a replay of Sunday’s game go to the Web address http://bit.ly/29IhABZ

FOE wins: Former KU guard Tyshawn Taylor scored 18 points off 5-of-11 shooting, dished four assists and grabbed four rebounds in lifting Team FOE to a 102-94 victory over Team Maryland on Sunday in a second-round Northeast Regional game of The Basketball Tournament in Philadelphia.

Taylor, who did not attempt a three-pointer, hit 8 of 9 free throws, several down the stretch.

Former KU guard Elijah Johnson scored 13 points off 4-of-6 shooting (3-4 from three) with five assists, four rebounds and two turnovers for the winners. FOE will meet City of Gods in a Sweet 16 contest Thursday in Philly.

The Final Four semifinals are July 30 in New York.

The Basketball Tournament is a single-elimination, 64-team event entering its third year. This summer, the tournament’s prize doubled from $1 million to $2 million. Teams are formed independently and then voted on by fans to participate. NBA players Marcus and Markieff Morris and Thomas Robinson are in charge of Team FOE.

Young faring well: Trae Young, a 6-1 senior point guard from Norman (Okla.) North High, who is ranked No. 14 in the Class of 2017 by Rivals.com, averaged 27 points and seven assists a game for MoKan Elite at the recent Peach Jam AAU tournament. Young, the son of former Texas Tech guard Rayford Young, hit 24 of 51 threes. He’s considering KU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kentucky, Texas and others. His buddy, Michael Porter, recently committed to Washington. Young has said all along he’ll likely attend the same school as Porter.

Knox down to 10: Kevin Knox, a 6-9 senior small forward from Tampa, Fla., who is ranked No. 6 in the recruiting Class of 2017 by Rivals.com, has narrowed his list of schools to 10. They are: KU, Kentucky, Arizona, Alabama, Duke, LSU, Florida State, Villanova, North Carolina and Miami. Both his parents went to Florida State.

Comments

Chris Shaw 3 years, 10 months ago

It is kind of cool to see all the rosters of the final 16 teams in The Basketball Tournament. You can watch the second half of the FOE vs Team Maryland game by hitting "Recap" in the link below. It was fun watching EJ and TT play together.

Mick Allen 3 years, 10 months ago

Eight turn overs and one assist in 22 minutes? With the anticipated increased playing time for Svi in the '16-'17 season he really needs to tighten his handle. While he will not be our primary ball handler, his amount of playing time will be contingent on making shots and taking care of the ball.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 10 months ago

Have you watched the games? It's not his handle causing the turnovers. Mykailiuk's handle is excellent. The TOs are coming from him being ultra aggressive driving into traffic in the lane ending up with nowhere to go and no one open resulting in either a traveling call or errant pass. It looks to me like he is not in sync with his teammates, i.e. no screens or moving to the open spots or positing for passes. MJ's Chicago Bull team where MJ would drive and everyone would react as a near perfect machine. None of his Ukrainian teammates are named Cartwright/Pippin/Grant/Paxton/Kerr or Armstrong...for that matter, there are no Lucas/Mason/Graham players either.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 10 months ago

I've watched his games and while he may be getting from point A to point B in the open court and with one defender on him bringing it up the court, his handle certainly isn't confident nor is it graceful but it it gets the job done .

Where he's getting into trouble is in the half court. He's trying to use his dribble to take it deep in the gap of the paint and create but that's where he's most shaky. For whatever reason he's picking up his dribble prematurely (causing his travel woes) or he's jumping in the air with no place to go and throwing errant passes.

There is that extra dribble in traffic (he's not taking it) or that extra step to the rim (where he's leaving it short because he's in no mans land) where he's completely indecisive. Its like when he gets that gap and gets in the paint he tightens up and stresses and your instinct is to pick up the ball with your momentum causing you to slide your pivot.

He's good about getting to the paint, but he's not good about what he should do with taking an extra dribble or keeping his dribble or taking that explosive step to finish at the rim.

Personally, I would just like to see him come to a jump stop and take the pull up jumper instead of taking the 1/2 step running in the air with nowhere to go and passing it out of bounds or throwing up a weak finger roll because the defense stepped up when he wasn't expecting it.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 10 months ago

Exactly, you can see he's pushing his game. We have never seen him drive into traffic in the lane like he is doing now. He's terrific in the open court! That behind the back - euro step layup on the break was special.

Benz Junque 3 years, 10 months ago

You are trying really hard to be positive about Svi this offseason. I hope he rewards you for your loyalty.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 10 months ago

Bad decisions lead to turnovers and he's making a lot of bad decisons this tournament on the floor. What reason is there to expect different in November?

Chris Shaw 3 years, 10 months ago

His role will be different for one thing. On the Ukranian team he's having to do all the work so from one stance that is good, but from another perspective it can be bad. You would hope that maybe him trying new things and being more aggressive offensively, as he's one of the main guys on the UK team, would help him going forward. Key word there is "Hope".

The good thing about playing with Mason, Graham, and Jackson this next season is that is should take all pressure off of Svi to perform. Between those 3 and their ball handling abilities and abilities to get in the gaps of the defense...it will help guys like SVI, Lucas, and Bragg.

My only fear is that SVI becomes too complacent again and "Settles" because Mason, Graham, and Jackson are doing all the work.

I think somehow though Vick is gonna find himself in the lineup somewhere. I think Vick spells Mason and Graham at times and Svi will spell Jackson and anytime Self decides to go small ball with Jackson and Svi at the 4.

I think Vick is gonna be a big surprise this season.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 10 months ago

"I think Vick is gonna be a big surprise this season."

Personally, I think Vick is a better athlete, a better shooter and a better ball handler. I've yet to see Svi live up to any of the hype that he supposedly would bring to Kansas. On the other side, Vick has shown his competitiveness, his willingness to do what ever the team needs to make a better team and I also believe that he will fit in better with Mason, Graham, Jackson and Bragg when they want to push the tempo.

Not saying that Svi is incapable of living up to his high expectations but if he is looking forward to wearing an NBA uniform next year, he needs to put everything together now.

Obviously, I agree Chris.

Mick Allen 3 years, 10 months ago

Suzie, what is your definition of "handle"? Would I have been more accurate in your opinion to have said he needs to do a much better job of taking care of the ball? If his handle is excellent, this is something he has developed in the last 3 1/2 months as he can not be accused being an excellent ball handler in his play for KU. My point was and is, he has to value each possession and 8 turn overs to 1 assist is not doing that. Whether he is turning it over while getting his dribble picked, throwing it away, traveling etc., it is still a turn over that deprives us of an opportunity to score. Your statement that when he gets in the lane off the bounce his teammates don't give him a lane or open space to make the dump off pass to is a valid observation, and was a defense I used often when you and others would criticize Frank for forcing a drive in the lane. As I have opined before, at 6'8" Svi's dribble is more susceptible to getting picked than Mason's or Graham's. If he can penetrate past the free throw line off the dribble, at 6'8' he can shoot the 12 footer or the runner instead of trying to take it all the way to the cup.Your reply to my comment made me feel you were giving me no credit for understanding the basics of the game and that was tough for me to ignore when the criticism came from one who thought Frankamp should start ahead of Mason at point.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 10 months ago

Interpreting the written word can be misleading as no criticism was intended. Mykailiuk's turnovers were all on not having anywhere to pass resulting in several walks, throw-away passes, etc. That said, he has made some snappy passes as well.

By handle, I primarily mean dribbling ability through traffic. The comparison to Mason is a good one in that Mykailiuk is just now in this FIBA series trying to push the penetration envelope. Self pushed Mason hard his freshman and sophomore years to do this.

I never ever said Frankamp should start ahead of Mason. The only time I came close to saying that was the start of the second half vs. Stanford. Frankamp was on fire and feeling the shot. However, Mason did a great job getting in the lane making great passes, which all his teammates missed the bunnies.

I'd bet $100 this aggressive penetrating version of Mykailiuk is exactly what Self has asked him to work on this summer.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 10 months ago

Suzi, I was going to let this go but since Mick has brought it up, your comment has left me a little confused.

"The TOs are coming from him being ultra aggressive driving into traffic in the lane ending up with nowhere to go"

Personally, I don't really need to know exactly why his turnover/assist ratio is so bad but your comment that I copied does answer that question. How many players have we seen in the past drive into the middle and end up with nowhere to go? Mason, Tharpe, EJ and even Tyshawn have all suffered from the exact same thing.

I don't know if it's a coaching or a player mistake but it should have been fixed a long time ago.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 10 months ago

It takes a lot of skill and experience to get into the lane and finish or find an open player. It took Mason and TT the better part of two and three years, respectively, before they became efficient with it. Mykailiuk, who is still under 20, has never pushed his game to get in the paint in traffic. We've heard Self stress the need to bounce the ball in the paint.

Mick Allen 3 years, 10 months ago

Your Frankamp crush extended past the Stanford game in my humble opinion Suzi.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 10 months ago

Don't say that! No Frankamp crush from me at all. Not even close. I asked around a bit after he left and concluded with no doubt the Hawks were better off without him. In fact, we would have been far better off had he never come to Kansas.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 10 months ago

UK? Svi doesn't play for the United Kingdom or Ken-whatever.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 10 months ago

My apologies, Dirk. I got lazy and just assumed since I said Ukranian and then shortened it to UK thereafter people would know that I was still talking about Ukraine. I will abbreviate properly with UKR from here on out. Wish I had an editor. Anyway, back to basketball.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 10 months ago

S I needs to limit his attempts to 5 since that's all he appears capable of making. My fear though is that he'd also have a dozen TOs.

Larry McAuliffe 3 years, 10 months ago

Watched Svi and agree with Suzi. He had 3-4 really nice drives for layups. He's first one back on D. Put KU guards with him. See a lot smother flow. RCJH