Monday, July 11, 2016

Who’s No. 1? Sure it’s early, but SI.com puts Jayhawks No. 2 in 16-team power rankings

In SI.com's preseason power rankings, Grayson Allen, left, and Duke are No. 1; Frank Mason III, second from left, and Kansas are No. 2; Josh Hart, center, and Villanova are No. 3; Tyler Dorsey, second from right, and Oregon are No. 4; and Isaiah Briscoe and Kentucky are No. 5.

The 2016-17 season doesn’t tip off for another four months, but college basketball prognostication is a year-round business. Last week, SI.com published its preseason power rankings, awarding the No. 2 spot in the nation to Kansas University.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski’s Duke Blue Devils, featuring returning guard Grayson Allen and a mammoth influx of five-star recruits, took top billing. But Bill Self’s Jayhawks beat out defending champion Villanova (No. 3), Pac-12 favorite Oregon (No. 4) and perennial powerhouse Kentucky (No. 5) for the second slot in the 16-team list.

Still, according to SI’s Luke Winn, picking KU as a runner-up to Duke wasn’t exactly a no-brainer.

“I settled on the Jayhawks due to the Bill Self Reliability Factor (seven top-10 finishes in adjusted efficiency in the past 10 years, despite significant roster turnover),” Winn wrote at SI.com, “and the quality of their starting perimeter trio. Whereas Duke’s one potential flaw is that it lacks a pure point guard, Kansas’s starting backcourt will have two seasoned floor generals and the potential No. 1 pick in the 2017 NBA draft in freshman wing Josh Jackson, making it arguably the best 1-2-3 punch in the nation.”

In fact, Winn went on to rank the six best perimeter trios entering next season as well and put the Jayhawks atop that sub-list, thanks to the veteran production expected out of Frank Mason III and Devonté Graham and the anticipated immediate impact of Jackson (the top recruit in the Class of 2016, according to Rivals).

Mason, Graham and Jackson ranked ahead of: Duke’s Allen, Luke Kennard and Jayson Tatum; Kentucky’s De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk and Isaiah Briscoe; Oregon’s Dylan Ennis, Tyler Dorsey and Dillon Brooks; North Carolina’s Joel Berry, Theo Pinson and Justin Jackson; and Villanova’s Jalen Brunson, Phil Booth and Josh Hart.

Kansas was the lone Big 12 team to appear in SI.com’s power rankings, though “The Next 16” list included No. 20 West Virginia and No. 21 Iowa State.

The Jayhawks will open the regular season, in Hawaii on Nov. 11, against SI’s No. 12 team, Indiana. Four days later, Kansas will square off with preseason favorite Duke at New York’s Madison Square Garden.

KU is slated to meet John Calipari’s Wildcats at Rupp Arena, on Jan. 28, 2017.

Comments

Dee Shaw 3 years, 2 months ago

Pre season rankings mean nothing. The final ranking in March is all that matters called the NCAA Tournament Field of 68.Win 6 in March, we are good to go.

KJ Quartermaine 3 years, 2 months ago

Yeesh, that's the most cliche thing I have ever read in my life. And Mallory could not have said it better

Dan Burns 3 years, 2 months ago

Exactly so why would you comment or even read this article???

KJ Quartermaine 3 years, 2 months ago

You need to brush up upon your reading comprehension skills, Dan. I love preseason rankings. I love seeing KU consistently ranked in the Top 10 year after year after year. I often by season preview magazines, because I'm excited about the upcoming season, directly correlating with KU's lofty ranking. So why wouldn't I read this article, Dan? I guess the people who don't care about preseason rankings prefer that KU is not ranked within the Top 25?

My comment was in relation to Dee Shaw and Mallory's comments, which you don't seem to grasp

Jay Scott 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't think Dan was responding to you. There would be another indent... Which you don't seem to grasp....

KJ Quartermaine 3 years, 2 months ago

Then they need to fix the website to make that clear, since it appears he is responding to me. Or, Dan should have addressed the person whom he was responding to. You, however, don't know for sure who he was responding to, you just "think" he was responding to the OP. Yet, you still spouted off

Jay Scott 3 years, 2 months ago

It's really not difficult to tell which comment is being responded to. If it's difficult for you, and you're not visually impaired, perhaps this is a sign that commenting in public isn't for you...

KJ Quartermaine 3 years, 2 months ago

Jay, I really hate to break this to you, but the way you come at people on this message board, well, you come off as an A-1 scumbag. Only a few KU message board posters have reached your level of douchiness. You have really maximized your douche potential. And that is quite an accomplishment. I'm going to phone the Academy, you should get like a Lifetime Achievement Award or something for your dedication to message board douchiness, it second to none

Jay Scott 3 years, 2 months ago

Do you feel this way about everyone who points out the immense stupidity of your insulting comments? I would guess you do.

Here's a tip. I repeated it to Brett on Sunday, again, with no positive effect.

If you don't like your public comments to be shown as idiotic, don't make idiotic comments in public. It's that easy.

KJ Quartermaine 3 years, 2 months ago

Dan, my apologies, Jay is right, I didn't "grasp" that you were responding to the OP and possibly even Mallory. Please find it in your heart to forgive me

Mallory Briggans 3 years, 2 months ago

I couldn't have said it better myself . Being a paper champion doesn't mean anything at all. We were favored by many going into the tournament and getting number overall seed solidified that claim.so on so many brackets KU cut down the nets .........but that was just on paper.

Steve Davis 3 years, 2 months ago

Oh stop it. Are you saying you don't love to read this stuff. I think preseason rankings are fun. They create interest and excitement. I love them. Why don't we ratchet your comments up one level, and say that nothing matters, because we're going to die anyway.

Brett McCabe 3 years, 2 months ago

Ummmmm Steve, because that would be stupid. Good job ratcheting someone's comments up about 100 levels above what they actually said, so that you can make an entirely nonsensical point.

I give a passing glance at these stories because it's July, football camp hasn't opened yet and the NCAA continues to give away the summer to minor league baseball instead of moving the baseball and softball seasons more to the summer months - when people will actually go watch the games.

Setting my timer to a moronic comment from the chief moron on this site......purple pussycat Jay!

Jay Scott 3 years, 2 months ago

Nobody can add anything that looks more moronic than what you've already done. Props.

Only a passing glance at "these stories"? You comment on half of them. You must be a Hillary supporter. With her it's hard to tell if it's dishonesty or ineptitude that's to blame.

Move baseball to Mid Summer? It's COLLEGE baseball. Would every player have to enroll in summer classes? What about the ones that graduate in May?

Purple pussycat? Seriously? Would someone who makes fun of Chicken Littles be a KSU fan? Any self respecting 7 year old could do so much better.

A little tip. If you're going to stalk people and insult them, it's not wise to make it so obvious that you're intellectually and emotionally at the third grade level. Keep the Hillary avatar. It's nice to affirm what kind of mind supports her....

Len Shaffer 3 years, 2 months ago

Jay, will you please stop with the damn political comments?!?!?

I'm not a Hillary fan (although your average fire ant would be preferable to Mr. Trump), but your constant bashing of her gets old (not to mention your insulting of anyone who dares to make the slightest mistake -- see your comment to KJ, above).

As for the subject at hand, I think Brett described it perfectly -- these stories are something to give a passing glance to during the long summer months (especially when the Royals are mired in mediocrity).

Jay Scott 3 years, 2 months ago

Lenny...please feel free to give only a passing glance to my comments if you don't like them. If you were to choose to have a Hillary avatar and make political comments yourself, I would mock you too. Wait! You just did!

Please feel free to type out a post condemning yourself for making political comments....

I promise not to mock your stupidity and meanspiritedness..

RJ King 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm happy to be purple on this site, as politics have little to do with Jayhawk fandom. I hope to find information, insight, and amusement. Steve Davis, I almost cliched-laughed out loud. Your positive attitude is infectious, and the hyperbole is priceless.

Gerry Butler 3 years, 2 months ago

Couldn't agree more, to much are made out of these pre season rankings. who cares? So what if we are ranked # 1 in a preseason ranking, doesn't mean squat, Per season isn't doing anything for you other then putting bigger target on your back during the year. Nobody cares- - OR should care where your at in the beginning. At THE END of the year is when you need to be Nu #1. Being Nu 1 in a preseason means nothing. You haven't proven anything for the year- - it's just paper. Don't try and say well look what we have done in the past- - - we aren't playing in the past, we are playing for now- - -this year, you can't live in the past, I have no problem with where ever we are in the PRE-SEASON cause it doesn't mean squat. No games have been played. Talk to me at the end of the year, then let us be Nu #1

Jay Scott 3 years, 2 months ago

It's funny that the Chicken Littles who "don't care" are the ones posting.....

Len Shaffer 3 years, 2 months ago

What's even funnier is that you can't go more than five minutes without insulting someone. It must be really hard to go through life being such a miserable person.

Jay Scott 3 years, 2 months ago

Lenny. I tend to mock the truly ignorant and negative. If this bothers you, you might ask yourself why......

I do appreciate the concern for my happiness. I promise that it's enjoyable bringing those who are ignorant, negative and dishonest to their knees. Thank you for giving me just such a chance to have fun. ;)

Kyle Rohde 3 years, 2 months ago

Way to create an article and get clicks based on somebody else's work, without even linking to the original article. C'mon LJ World.

RJ King 3 years, 2 months ago

C'mon, it's summer. I don't care if they phone it in for a few weeks. It's not Reuters.

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 2 months ago

Another vote for Steve and Jay. Keep em coming. I never tire of reading about KU basketball, even if preseason polls don't mean much. Always take pride when someone respects the program's accomplishments.

Mike Greer 3 years, 2 months ago

So I assume some would be just as content with a pre-season ranking of 100? Doesn't say much for your future prospects, and it isn't much of a recruiting tool. I think you're way better off with the comment; "I settled on the Jayhawks due to the Bill Self Reliability Factor (seven top-10 finishes in adjusted efficiency in the past 10 years, despite significant roster turnover). . . " Recruits want to go to winners and before there are winners, there are pre-season rankings, so that's the next best thing. Do you think the Jayhawks got Josh Jackson because he wanted to be on a team ranked in the pre-season 100 spot, heck no, he wants to be on a top 10 roster. When was a team ranked in the 100 spot the No 1 team at the end of the season? When was the last time a team ranked in the top 10, the eventual NCAA Champion?

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 2 months ago

Preseason rankings create discussion amd set a level of expectation for the upcoming season.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 2 months ago

Interesting that Frank Jackson isn't included in Dukes backcourt trio. He's the closest thing to a PG they have which ultimately will be their downfall.

Mick Allen 3 years, 2 months ago

Right with you Steve,Jay,Mike, Harlan and Aaron. The preseason rankings are a tribute to our history, program and coach. Sorry some don't see it that way.As Mike asked would you rather we be ranked 100 in the preseason and have to recruit to that? We might as well be Misery.

Len Shaffer 3 years, 2 months ago

That's a real insult to the top 100, Mick. I don't think Misuse is close to it.

Mallory Briggans 3 years, 2 months ago

I read yesterday that Duke and Kentucky are now interested in the recruitment of Deandre Ayton since he has said he will go to school at least one year.....Given the fact that we were the only school going after him ...if we have an advantage .....also with Terrance Ferguson going overseas it could have been a wasted roster spot had we signed him ....looks like a good thing that we didnt .As far as the polls ....we will find out early where we are and the rankings will adjust accordingly ....

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 2 months ago

Right on, Mick. Notice how far Misery has fallen since joining the SEC? Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people. Almost the same with Nebraska and the Big Ten.

Jay Scott 3 years, 2 months ago

M'Zoo longs for the days when athletics were their biggest humiliation.

Dan Burns 3 years, 2 months ago

So all you whiners who don't like the early projections, stay off the sites, don't watch any games simply at the end of the season read the final score on the web and move on to hockey. The rest of us will hope for the best, cheer at every opportunity for our team and ENJOY THE JOURNEY!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

Dammit!! I'm always the last one on this site because the rest of you guys are retired, unemployed or rich!! [Just kidding, of course :)].

Frankly, I think early projections give a baseline, arbitrary as it may be, but at least it is a global framework of the comparative assumed strengths of the different schools and, besides, any time we are ranked ahead of Kensucky whether it's basketball or tiddlywinks, I'm a happy guy.

As far as politics go, I say anything is fair game to discuss on this site. In my very humble opinion, these are two of the most flawed candidates in the history of the presidential elections.This is the best our country can do??? Just tell me which one hurts my retirement fund the least. [Just kidding again, of course...sort of :( ].

Mike Greer 3 years, 2 months ago

If I can make a political post

Obi-Wan Kenobi 2016 You're our only hope!

Gary McCullough 3 years, 2 months ago

I love the schedules Bill and Co. play, year-in and year-out. I can't wait for November to see the Jayhawks match up against the Hoosiers and Blue Devils. So what if we don't have as many national championship banners in the rafters. We live at the top of the college basketball world every year! We are spoiled. Thank you Bill.

Mallory Briggans 3 years, 2 months ago

at the end of day there are many many many programs that would love to have the consistancy that KU has had....to judge a program by how many national championships we have is not a true gauge of how long we have been in the NC conversation ......Duke and Kentucky has gotten alot of top recruits but that hasnt always translated to NC.....Duke and Kentucky have had down years and Kentucky missed the tournament entirely a few years ago.......its been a long time since Kansas has been left out the Big Dance.......and that speaks volumes ......Sweating it out on Selection Sunday is something many of us dont have to worry about......