Friday, July 1, 2016

Malik Newman chooses Kansas

KU coach Self says Jayhawks 'very lucky' to land guard

KU basketball commitment Malik Newman signed with the Jayhawks on Friday, July 1 and will transfer to Kansas from Mississippi State.

Former Mississippi State guard Malik Newman has decided to transfer to Kansas University.

Newman, a 6-foot-3 combo guard from Jackson, Miss., who averaged 11.3 points a game in his one season at the SEC school, chose KU over Western Kentucky, Oregon, North Carolina State and Miami. He made a campus visit to KU on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Newman made the announcement to ESPN.com.

"I'm glad they (Jayhawks) wanted me again," said Newman who considered KU, Kentucky and others out of high school but chose MSU. "I love the basketball culture at Kansas, the way (caoch) Bill Self holds guys accountable and love the atmosphere."

Podcast episode

Spodcasters

A mature Malik Newman is the best kind for Kansas basketball

Spodcasters Matt Tait and Tom Keegan examine what the addition of Mississippi State transfer Malik Newman means for the future of Kansas basketball.

Download podcast

Newman declared for the 2016 NBA Draft, but pulled his name out after failing to impress at the NBA Combine and during individual workouts for various NBA teams.

He was the No. 8-ranked player in the recruiting Class of 2015, choosing his dad's alma mater, MSU, over KU, Kentucky and others.

"We recruited Malik extremely hard out of high school," KU coach Bill Self said of the Callaway High School guard. "When he entered the draft and decided to pull his name out and transfer, we convinced him to come to campus. We feel very fortunate that we were able to influence him and his family that this is the best place for him to try to realize his goals both on and off the basketball court."

Newman, who was slowed by turf toe and a back injury last saxon, hit 39.1 percent of his shots (37.9 percent from three; 68.7 from line). That did not change Self's opinion of him, which was based largely on his initial evaluation.

"In our opinion, Malik was a top-five player coming out of high school," Self said. "He's a combo guard that has good size, can really shoot the ball and stretch it. There are things he needs to get better at, but the year off will allow him to address things that the NBA people wanted to see more of out of him. Even though it didn't happen the first time for us, we were excited to know we are getting a fabulous talent - just a year later than what we originally planned."

Said Newman of the wild path he took to Kansas: "It's the right place for me to be," Newman told ESPN. "I can compete against those guys every day (Frank Mason III, Devonte Graham, Josh Jackson), and that will make me better. It also allows me to get comfortable with the system."

None by malik newman

Comments

Bobby Burch 5 years, 3 months ago

Welcome, Malik! Great news. Does this mean he'll have to sit a year before he can play?

Chris Shaw 5 years, 3 months ago

This is a good pick up! I've never been a Newman fan, but I am a fan of having a kid of this talent come in for a year and learn under Self and the Kansas system for a year.

I would have rather had Thornton but I'm pretty pumped about this kid coming to KU for the 2017-2018 season.

Some other poster mentioned Josh Selby on another thread but this is kind of like a do over from the Josh Selby disaster. No question Malik has talent.

So...the question. How big of an impact will Malik have? Could he have that Ben McLemore stigma when he sat out a year? Where B-Mac's name just kept growing in anticipation. I wonder if Franny will spend this whole year talking about Malik in practice and how good the Kansas practices are.

Creg Bohrer 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad he's coming to K.U.. Even if we just get a year of practice out of him it'll be worth it for both KU basketball and Malik. Welcome aboard Malik. RCJH!

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 3 months ago

Why would he come here if only to practice a year (which won't help his draft position) when he could go and play for money in Europe?

Nonsensical.

Creg Bohrer 5 years, 3 months ago

Maybe he tests the draft next year like he did this year , gets much better feedback and decides to declare for the 2017 draft? Long shot maybe. Nonsensical I think not.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 3 months ago

If you can name ONE player in the history of the NCAA who left for the NBA draft after one year of practicing (which I bet NBA scouts aren't often invited), I will emphatically apologize. I was considering tattooing your name next to my heart but then decided that may be a bit much.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 3 months ago

Damn... seriously Creg I wasn't pissing in your Cheerios. I'll give you the apology. Practicing and not being dismissed is a valid concern when signing transfers. Now I won't be able to sleep next spring until after the NBA draft.

Creg Bohrer 5 years, 3 months ago

Make sure you spell my name right when you get that tat

Creg Bohrer 5 years, 3 months ago

Do I need to find another or are you sitting in that parlor chair

Creg Bohrer 5 years, 3 months ago

there's no conditions on the one player. Chronic troll failure X2!!

Jay Scott 5 years, 3 months ago

Neither player could play. Epic fail.

Come back when you have something intelligent to add.... Who's the troll?

Creg Bohrer 5 years, 3 months ago

you just answered that. i think you need a tat as well.

Jay Scott 5 years, 3 months ago

Hang around... It's going to be a blast making fun of you.

Creg Bohrer 5 years, 3 months ago

Yep Adam I bet if these trolls wish we could come up with another handfull

Jay Scott 5 years, 3 months ago

You look pretty silly patting yourself on the back when you haven't come up with any on your own....

You're not even smart enough to troll...

Creg Bohrer 5 years, 3 months ago

I spent two seconds and immediately thought of Canter and Kemp. I could google and find more but i've better things to do.

Jay Scott 5 years, 3 months ago

.... two seconds... but you posted them 20 minutes apart.... My favorite kind of troll to mock.. the clueless AND dishonest kind...

Dirk Medema 5 years, 3 months ago

Ends Canter did leave for the NBA draft after one year of practicing at UK, whether he was ineligible or otherwise not allowed by the NCAA to play, so no that would not be a fail.

Then Maker did essentially the same thing this year, though in a slightly different format. Was it prep school again?

Creg Bohrer 5 years, 3 months ago

Good point Dirk.It won't make any difference you know we could come up with a thousand different players and the trolls will find something to disqualify all of them. Maybe marius should've been a tad more specific.

Austin Lopez 5 years, 3 months ago

Yes! Words can't even sum up how excited I am that Malik Newman is a Jayhawk! I've been a huge fan of this kids game for a long time, it only seems like yesterday when I first seen his freshman year highlights on maxpreps. Man, time does fly....

Jay Scott 5 years, 3 months ago

Nice! It doesn't seem as though there's anyone who could really add anything to the 10 players that will make up the lineup this year. Barring a couple of major injuries that 10 can contend for the national title.

A good foundation exists for 2017-18. Graham, Vick, Newman, Coleby, Az, Maxwell and Lightfoot in theory, plus recruits. Very solid.

Will Clay Young get a courtesy scholarship this year or is there another walkon + caliber player that exists?

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 3 months ago

Regarding Clay – I would think so with the understanding it's only for one year.

Harlan Hobbs 5 years, 3 months ago

Spot on, Jay. I especially like Malik's attitude about practicing against elite players like Frank, Devonte, and Josh, not to mention the other talented players with whom he wouldn't be competing for playing time in 2017. I'm assuming that guys like Mitch, Udoka, Vick, Maxwell, etc. will also help Malik to improve his game, even if we lose a significant number of players after this year.

I don't know if there is more talent on the radar for next year. It's getting a little late to find an impact player. Therefore, I hope that they do give a scholarship to Clay.

Harlan Hobbs 5 years, 3 months ago

By the way, another prize recruit, Terence Ferguson, who had KU on his short list of possible locations, has decided not to enroll at Arizona and play overseas instead. Back when we were debating who would be better, Terence or Josh Jackson, some said Ferguson because he supposedly is a better shooter. Good thing we got Josh instead. Anyone want to bet that Coach Self and the staff didn't have an inkling about Ferguson and put all their efforts toward Josh and his mother, Apples? Big winner for KU!

Ryan Zimmerman 5 years, 3 months ago

Tyler Self is going to get some minutes this season .. guarantee it. Guard bench is shallow. Svi can play, Vick is unknown, so next up is Self. Wish we had one more guard in the mix for the season. But can't complain too much. Should be a very fun season to watch

Jim Stauffer 5 years, 3 months ago

We have Mason, Graham, Svi, Josh and Vick. Both Graham and Mason can alternate PG responsibilities and Svi is preparing to play a little point and you are worried about guard play being thin. Now I admit if we lose any of these guys for the season we then become thin.

Ryan Zimmerman 5 years, 3 months ago

I'd say 4 minutes a game is pretty unknown...

Adam Tyler 5 years, 3 months ago

Tyler Self didn't even play on his high school squad.

You are delusional, my friend.

Jay Scott 5 years, 3 months ago

Clubhouse leader for stupidest comment of 2016.

Ryan Zimmerman 5 years, 3 months ago

Wow, that's incredibly nice of you to say. It's funny because I recognize your name and appreciate some of your posts and insight. But to come out and be a d*ck like that is pretty crappy. Calling someone stupid online is pretty weak. I have an opinion just like everyone else. But it's replies like that make me want to just go ahead and not post. I'll just read and not respond because it's not worth dealing with. Vick played 4 minutes a game. Those aren't guaranteed. We have always had more depth. Self is an option should Vick flounder is what I was saying. Anyway, see you later! I'll find a board elsewhere.

Colby Hebert 5 years, 3 months ago

Say what? Vick is probably better than Devonte and Frank not to be negative against those two....

How many guards do you want Self to play? Devonte, Frank, Svi, Josh, Vick, that is 5 badass guards...

Dirk Medema 5 years, 3 months ago

Vick better than Devonte and Frank? That's farther out than Tyler getting significant playing time. He scored some points in a friendly pick-up game, but far from having shown that he is close to competing for Devonte and Frank's job, much less taking it. Vick is even less of a combo guard than Wayne.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 3 months ago

Vick cannot play the 1 spot as well as Devonte and Frank but he is a better player at the 3. Graham may be the most versatile of the three. 5 talented guards is a luxury most coaches can only dream of.

Brian Wilson 5 years, 3 months ago

Ryan you must be kidding. Vick is a 4 star stud. Self is the coaches son and "coach-in-training." Vick gets the real back up minutes and then will start in 2017-18 beside Newman. Unless someone gets hurt, Tyler will get 2-4 minutes per game and will get clean up minutes in blow outs. Tyler may end up being a pretty good coach someday just like his dad!

Ryan Zimmerman 5 years, 3 months ago

All I'm saying is that Vick got 4 minutes a game last year. That's not proven by any means or anything to have history on.

Creg Bohrer 5 years, 3 months ago

Yep Harlan we got the right guy in Josh. He really impressed me with how articulate and intelligent he was in that interview a couple weeks ago.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 3 months ago

Yup – hard to believe that we signed Josh Jackson only two months ago. There were several articles in the past regarding the signing of Jackson if you wish to review them but today I'm excited about signing Newman.

Jay Scott 5 years, 3 months ago

Creg ..... Wtf is "Creg"... You should be proud of me. I'm not sure what our connection is but even if it's only that we're both humans, I inspire a great deal of pride. Thanks for recognizing!

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 3 months ago

A big thank you from me as well. I can tell already that your contributions here will be EPIC!

Pius Waldman 5 years, 3 months ago

Well with two that have to redshirt so now only 10 scholies with one more possibility. So far 2 walkons. Lets hope our freshman get some meaningful minutes. This is a factor but may not play a part but Newman is eligible for the draft next year if he desires.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 3 months ago

He was eligible for the draft this year. Again - why would a player come to Kansas only to practice for a season?

As for our freshman, I think I can say that barring injury, Jackson and Udoka will get plenty of minutes. Only Lightfoot will get limited minutes.

Chris Shaw 5 years, 3 months ago

When Self is forced to play players (2009) and or is short on players (2012), I think Self does a better job of coaching because he's forced to manage what he's got and trust the players he has in his roster.

When Kansas has had "depth" I think Self gets indecisive and doesn't utilize to its maximum value the roster that's been given to him.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 3 months ago

Really good observation. I still think 2012 was Self at his best.

Yonatan Negash 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't get too excited about landing transfer players but this is a good pick up for us.

Must admit, I was a little surprised how badly things turned out for Malik at MSU.

But when you begin to analyze his situation more, you would probably not be too surprised.

First, he had Ben Howland as his coach. I'm sure we'd all agree Howland is not the greatest coach out there.

Not sure if any of you recall those great UCLA teams Howland coached when he had players such as Kevin Love, Darren Collison, Russell Westbook and several others. If memory serves me right, those teams under achieved under Howland. I recall they managed to make the final four two or three years in a row and came out empty handed. Couple years later, UCLA basketball program was deemed uncontrolled with players fighting in practice, smoking, partying and other issues. The issues were so severe, it ultimately cost Howland his job.

Point is, I want to give Malik a fresh start in an organized, civil, structured, and well coached team like Kansas before discounting his abilities. .

I'm a firm believe, great coaches do make a difference. I'm also a firm believer great coaches have to have great athletes to work with. I see both here, Malik get's coached by a great coach and Bill Self get's a great talented ball player.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 3 months ago

"I'm sure we'd all agree Howland is not the greatest coach out there."

Great recruiter, he did recruit Love, Collison, and Westbrook and has the #6 incoming recruiting class, three straight Final Fours for UCLA, three different teams to the NCAA, 438 total victories w/65% winning percentage but overall I still agree that he isn't a great coach.

I really don't know what happened at UCLA that led to firing a 25-10 Pac 12 Champ and NCAA tournament team but I think his greatest skill lies in his ability to recruit. I know he was blamed for losing institutional control and obviously he still has a problem with players transferring. I'll leave it to future sports historians on how to rate Ben Howland's coaching career.

Jonathan Andrews 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm happy for KU, for Self and for Malik. I'll reserve my judgment on his fit in our system until I watch him play here, but he truly is an elite talent. Rock chalk!

Steve Macy 5 years, 3 months ago

Good number selection, hope for a successful career, no matter how long or short it is.

Harlan Hobbs 5 years, 3 months ago

"Troll" all you want, Marius. I probably post as much as you do, so perhaps I am a "troll" too.

No offense, Creg. Just poking a little fun. Actually, your first comment about our getting Josh Jackson was right to the point. He will be a huge fan favorite even if we likely will have him for only one year.

Micky Baker 5 years, 3 months ago

Malik probably should have chosen KU right out of high school, but nonetheless, welcome to Kansas Malik.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 3 months ago

I thought about that and then wondered about team chemistry. I think we will need Malik more in 2017 than either 2015 or 2016...

Tony Bandle 5 years, 3 months ago

Maybe you guys can help me on this "troll" thing. I thought a troll was an imposter fan whose dislike of a team was masked as constructive criticism.

Harlan, by my definition, you are anything but a troll.

Jay gets sarcastic and caustic at times but he no doubt he is a passionate Jayhawk and so he is not a troll.

Chris is the anti-Jay but he loves the Hawks so he's not a troll.

Marius looks at being a troll as a badge of honor, but I don't think he is one either.

I enjoy reading all of you guys and I don't think any of you are trolls.What the heck am I missing? If someone called me a troll, I'd put a Cowboy Bob Ellis Bulldog and Headlock on 'em and slam him [or her, didn't forget you Suzi ] to the mat!!!!!

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 3 months ago

lol. For the most part, with the frequent posters, we can tell then they are jazzing someone. Either way, some of these out of the blue comments are best ignored, IMO.

Colby Hebert 5 years, 3 months ago

A troll just likes to elicit reactions from people. Usually by being awful and ridiculous. If done with wit, trolling can be art...

Brianna Zaleski 5 years, 3 months ago

Tony and Colby,

Check out Ken M. on Twitter. Trolling wizard. All wit, no maliciousness. Total crack up.

Dirk Medema 5 years, 3 months ago

"All wit, no maliciousness. Total crack up. ---> Trolling wizard."

Does that mean we have anti-trolls, or just really bad trolls?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 5 years, 3 months ago

Well, I was going to dip my oar in here, but the water is already full of wood.

Are you kidding me? Another self-explained one year wonder? How has that worked out in the past 3 or 10 years??

This guy has the temerity to tell you that he is only here to sop up money for "real" students, tax payer money that is intended for students who want a real education. Right up front. Really!!

He has already washed out at another school, and yet this news rag has elevated him to hero status (after the required waiting period, of course). Then we are to expect glory and greatness that in the past has never occurred. How many NCAA tournaments has Kansas won in the past, oh, four or five years with their collection of these non-student players?

So when does reality enter this conversation? When does this kid wake up to the real world and find that he cannot go through life fooling people like the fools at Kansas University that keep pulling this scam on the fans.

Jay Scott 5 years, 3 months ago

It must be an ugly life when you can find reasons to hate everything.....

I suppose that every team but one falls short of the title every year... By that standard, every player in the country except a dozen is a failure... Is that how you see things Eeyore... I mean Fred...

Brian Wilson 5 years, 3 months ago

The difference is this, the kid had his panties handed to him after his first year and attempt to jump to the NBA. Hopefully, he no longer thinks he is all "dat", and now he has an entire year to get over himself an learn a system and about being part of a team.

So after having an NBA evaluation, he will have a year to build strength and work on those areas where he was told that he sucks. At the end of that year, after gaining all of that strength and knowledge, and sitting watching his teammates and the KU fans and family, as part of the agreement with Bill Self in letting him come to KU, Malik will be given the opportunity to lead the greatest NCAA basketball program for an entire season and an opportunity to win the NCAA championship with at worst, the following lineup:

PG: Lagerald Vick
SG: Malik Newman
SF: Mitch Lightfoot, Clay Young
PF: Dwight Coleby, Evan Maxwell
C: Azubuike

All of which will have had at least two years in the program. And if Graham, Svi, or Bragg somehow decides to stay, the team will even be better. So the lineup for the next two years is stable and this is not to mention any of the possible OAD's waiting to come. Very smart, nice job by Bill Self and Co.

Mick Allen 5 years, 3 months ago

Lagerald Vick will not be the starting point guard in '17-'18. If we don't land another point guard, Newman would certainly start at the point before Vick.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 3 months ago

Fred is the definition of TROLL. He has never stood on KU's campus but hates the success of KU basketball.

KState or Missou?

Harlan Hobbs 5 years, 3 months ago

Love the repartee, folks. Tony, you have a true gift for expression. However, I would take my Rufus R. Jones or Texas Bob Geigel against your Bulldog Bob Ellis. Must admit, I was kind of a wresting "junkie" in my younger days. The drama, theatrics, and the eternal battles of "good vs. evil" were certainly entertaining to me. Just not the same today.