Sunday, January 31, 2016

Notebook: Jayhawks overcome free-throw struggles

Kansas guard Devonte' Graham (4) puts a shot off the glass as he is fouled by Kentucky forward Marcus Lee (00) during the second half, Saturday, Jan. 30, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse.

The Jayhawks defeated Kentucky, 90-84, in overtime Saturday night at Allen Fieldhouse, but they didn’t do so without some struggles.

KU made 30 free throws but missed 17. Perry Ellis (10 points, nine rebounds, 31 minutes because of foul trouble) was 8-of-13 at the line.

“He missed the first one (and hit second to send the game to OT),” Self said. Ellis tied the game at 76 with 9.0 seconds left.

Self said he didn’t expect the airball Ellis shot on the first of two technical foul shots in the first half. He made the second.

“Not when you can pick who you want to shoot. It was not only short but way left,” Self said. “He did that one other time when he was hit in the head a couple years ago. He didn’t have a great game, but he really battled.”

Freshmen shine in first half: Freshman forwards Carlton Bragg Jr. and Cheick Diallo had six and two points respectively the first half as Ellis played just six minutes because of foul trouble.

“Cheick and Carlton bailed us out. They came in and did a great job,” Self said.

The rules: KU grad David Booth and his family members at halftime officially presented KU Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little and AD Sheahon Zenger the original rules of basketball he purchased at auction. The crowd gave Booth a thunderous ovation.

This, that: Selden’s 33 points marked the most by a Jayhawk in a game since Ellis scored 30 against Iowa State in the 2014 Big 12 Championship semifinals. ... Selden’s 33 points marked the most scored by a KU junior since Marcus Morris posted 33 at Iowa State on Jan. 12, 2011. ... Selden has eclipsed the 1,000 career scoring mark. He’s the 57th Jayhawk to hit 1,000. ... KU now trails the all-time series with Kentucky, 22-7. KU has won four in a row over UK in Allen. ... KU extended its overall home win streak to 35 games. ... Since the 2006-07 season, KU’s record in overtime games under Self is 14-3. KU has won four straight OT games. ... KU outrebounded UK, 42-31 ... KU’s 47 free-throw attempts were the most since the Jayhawks shot 52 against Niagara on Jan. 9, 1997. ... KU hit 12 of 16 free throws in OT after shooting 18-of-31 (58.1 percent) the first 40 minutes. ... Ellis scored 10 points to move past Bud Stallworth into 20th place on KU’s all-time scoring list with 1,500 career points.

Poll: A College GameDay Twitter poll of fans selected Wilt Chamberlain, Danny Manning, Paul Pierce, Jo Jo White and Kirk Hinrich members of KU’s all-time starting five.

Kentucky’s five: Jamal Mashburn, Tony Delk, John Wall, Dan Issel and Anthony Davis.

“I think I could win a couple games with that roster,” Self said on Saturday morning’s GameDay program, which attracted about 5,000 fans into Allen Fieldhouse. “That would be a hard game. I thing we could win a couple of games (with that lineup).”

Self and Ellis received a thunderous ovation from those who attended the 10-11 a.m. show.

“It’s different from conference. We’re excited,” Ellis said of the KU-UK matchup. “We’re a team that can be great. If we can put things together, we’ll be good.”

Asked about what he learned from KU coach Larry Brown, Self said: “I stole from all my mentors, whether it be coach Brown, coach Sutton (Eddie, Oklahoma State) or coach Hamilton (Leonard, OSU). They are maybe the best the game has seen in their respective traits, what each did best. I believe I learned more in nine months with coach Brown.”

— See what people were saying about Kansas vs. Kentucky during KUsports.com’s live coverage.

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Kentucky

By the Numbers: Kansas 90, Kentucky 84 (OT)

By the Numbers: Kansas 90, Kentucky 84 (OT)

Comments

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 4 months ago

Shout out to coach's IQ to rid of UK bigs. FT played important role in our win this time. Rock Chalk!

Michael Sillman 1 year, 4 months ago

Once again that total hush in Allen Fieldhouse put our free throw shooters in the deep freeze during a close game. I think our guys would be more relaxed with a little noise while they are at the line.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

It's funny, I've often thought the same thing. It seems like it might put more pressure on the shooter. I wonder if the stats would back-up the perception?

Not sure what the alternative would be? An arena-wide hum while the shooter is at the line? How about, when the player is stepping to the line, a student shout-out: You can do it Perry! You know, some positive energy through affirmation.

Barry Weiss 1 year, 3 months ago

rough game from the line, but shout out to Selly, Coach's triangle and two, and great bench play.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 3 months ago

Kirk would be better as a 2 complimenting JoJo. Valentine would sub at the 1.

Dale Rogers 1 year, 3 months ago

I agree about the silence during free throws. That sure would freak me out. Maybe one of our sportswriters could put that question to the team and get their thoughts.

John Randall 1 year, 3 months ago

Is there any chance orchestrate Sudden SILENCE just when an opponent prepares to shoot? Always doing wouldn't be as effective as saving it for when it matters.

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 3 months ago

Agree, Mr. Brock. If I can only pick 5, mine are Wilt, Danny, Clyde, Jo Jo, and Darnell. Would not be opposed to adding Paul Pierce, Raef LaFrentz, and Kirk Heinrich as the first off the bench.

Would be interested in Mick Allen's view. Where would you put the likes of B. H. Born, the Kelley brothers, and others from that era? Also, how about guys in the 60's like Wayne Hightower, the late Bill Bridges, Jerry Gardner, and Nolen Ellison, not to mention those in my age group, Dave Robisch, Pierre Russell, et. al.? The list is almost endless.

Michael Lorraine 1 year, 3 months ago

The FT's were troubling. Losing a game at the line gives me nightmares.

Humpy Helsel 1 year, 3 months ago

I was there when Darnell played, and I loved the guy. When Kentucky came to town in 79, I believe, he led a great comeback against a superior, highly ranked Kentucky team that ultimately fell short. That was the first time I experienced just how loud Allen Fieldhouse could get. It is always loud there, but in big game comebacks, TV filters disguise just how loud it can really be.

But I think I put Kirk over Darnell. Kirk was a much better perimeter shooter. Kirk's length made him effective in all types of ways. You could argue Darnell was better going to the hole, and he was lights out on defense. And you could argue Kirk had better players around him than Darnell, at least in Darnell's last three seasons. Both would run it right up your rear on the break, By a nose, however, I would still go with Kirk.

What say the other old guys out there on this question?

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 3 months ago

I also attended that '79 KU-UK game, which we lost 56-57. Valentine had 17 points with 5 assist again 0 TOs and 4 fouls. It was one of Tony Guy's worst games with only 2 points (1-9), and only 3 Rebs to go with 3 TOs and 4 fouls in 31 minutes.

William Dostert 1 year, 3 months ago

I lived in Jawhawk towers when Valentine was there. He used to dribble two balls up the hilly streets all the time. That being said he had stone fingers. His shot was suspect but wow what speed he had going to the basket!

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks, Humpy, Suzi, and William for the memories. Your analysis of Kirk vs. Darnell, Humpy, is more thorough than mine, so I will concede the point to you. Just glad that we got to watch both gentlemen play. They are true Jayhawk legends.

DaNeille Davis 1 year, 3 months ago

Are there any videos of the halftime presentation of the rules???