Oklahoma State defeats Kansas, 86-67

• 6 p.m., Jan. 19, 2016
  • Gallagher-Iba Arena, Stillwater, OK

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Road sick: Jayhawks clobbered at Oklahoma State

Kansas guard Devonte' Graham and the rest of the Jayhawks leave the floor following their 86-67 loss to Oklahoma State on Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2016 at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater, Okla.

— A reporter asked Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self if he could pinpoint a “common denominator” in the Jayhawks’ three consecutive losses at Self’s alma mater, Oklahoma State.

“Yeah, me,” KU’s 13th-year coach said after the No. 3-ranked (15-3, 4-2) Jayhawks’ 86-67 blowout loss to (10-8, 2-4) OSU on Tuesday night before an announced crowd of 11,383 fans in a building that seats 13,611.

“We’ve had different players every year. ... I’ve got to do a better job. We’ve never played well down here, it seems to me,” he added after KU’s second-straight double-digit road loss.

The Jayhawks, who have a 3-6 record in Stillwater during the Self era, fell by five points last season and seven the year before. This time ... an unsightly 19-point margin of defeat tied for KU’s third-worst loss in a Big 12 game under Self, trailing only a 25-pointer to Texas and 23-pointer vs. Baylor.

“We are struggling right now. We are laboring. We are not playing well as a unit. We are not playing well individually. We are inconsistent,” Self said, adding, “We are so spoiled here. We have not had very many games like this over the years, but we’ve had ’em. Mature guys understand it’s one game and bounce back. It is disheartening at the moment, but we’ll find out how tough we are.

“I’ve always questioned whether or not this team from a mental standpoint was tough enough to fight through some stuff. To be honest, we haven’t shown that we are, but we aren’t going to go anywhere if we don’t show that we are. If there’s anything positive out of this is we’ll find out who we really are. I know we’re capable of being much better.”

The Jayhawks, who trailed 43-38 at the half, were outscored 43-29 the final 20 minutes. KU hit just 42.1 percent of its shots, including a chilly six of 22 from three and 13 of 24 from the line. Meanwhile, OSU, which hit 50 percent of its shots, including 11 threes in 21 tries, out-rebounded KU, 38-31.

“I think about everything that could go wrong with us went wrong,” Self said. “We didn’t make shots when the game was at least somewhat in balance. What went wrong was they were far better than us.”

KU guard Frank Mason III hit four of 12 shots en route to 14 points, while Devonté Graham had 10 points off 4-of-9 shooting and Wayne Selden, Jr., seven points off 3-of-8 shooting.

“We are not getting much out of our guards at all,” Self said. “We’re not going to go anywhere unless he (Mason) plays well. Devonté and Wayne have got to be consistent.”

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self: 'About everything' went wrong for KU in loss at Oklahoma State

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self discusses the Jayhawks' 86-67 loss at Oklahoma State.

Download podcast

When asked about Mason looking as if he was worn out, Self pointed out in the first 14 minutes he “had one point and zero assists. We want the ball in his hands. He’s got to do better. We’ve got to do a better job of setting him up to do better. We’re not running our stuff to score right now. We’re running stuff just to run stuff.”

As far as his physical condition, junior point guard Mason said: “My leg’s a little sore. Other than that, everything’s OK.”

“I haven’t seen the things we’re capable of doing, starting with me,” Mason said. “I’ve got to be better, being a leader of the team. I’m not playing well right now. Wayne can be a lot better and Devonté. It falls back on us. We’ve got to do a better job with everything. I wasn’t as aggressive as can be, didn’t get in their end and create easy shots for teammates. We had some good looks but didn’t knock ‘em down. I’m looking forward to the next game (1 p.m., Saturday, vs. Texas in Allen Fieldhouse).”

The Jayhawks did appear a bit shell shocked after this a game, in which freshman Jawun Evans scored 22 points with eight assists, six rebounds (and six turnovers) and the Pokes had several rim-rattling, crowd-pleasing dunks.

Ellis, who hit three of 10 shots and seven of 12 free throws en route to 13 points, said: “We’re not playing the way we know we can as a team. There’s so much more we can bring to the table. We’re not doing it right now.”

— See what people were saying about KU at Oklahoma State during KUsports.com’s live coverage

More news and notes from Kansas at Oklahoma State

By the Numbers: Oklahoma State 86, Kansas 67

By the Numbers: Oklahoma State 86, Kansas 67

Comments

Mike Riches 3 years, 9 months ago

I feel a players-only meeting coming....

Robert Brock 3 years, 9 months ago

I like the idea of a coaches-only meeting with the lead topic being, "why should you be employed by the University of Kansas?"

Not sure the guy known as "Snacks" can answer the question.

Niraj Shah 3 years, 9 months ago

Words, these guys say the right things and then go out and stink up the place. Their words need to translate into actions on th court

Town Thomas 3 years, 9 months ago

This one is on Coach Self. 1) When Lucas again and again proves himself useless, Coach Self dared not replace him. Because Coach Self was coward. He was afraid to lose. He did not realize it is definitely a lose when Lucas was playing so many minutes. KU might and might not lose if he kept playing Diallo. If Lucas cannot put in the bunnies, what's the point even if he can make the space? 2) Coach Self kept saying Ellis is the go to guy when obviously he is not. I don't see he fought hard. Instead, all I saw was his hesitation, his timidness. Because Coach Self always said that Ellis is the go to guy, it made Selden feel Selden himself is not. Selden was completely lost in the game. But it's not Selden's fault. It's Coach Self's fault. 3) Replace Ellis when he was not playing hard and not playing smart basketball. That will actually stimulate Ellis to play better. 4) When Mickelson's effect was evaluated, Coach Self only saw his individual shortcomings. Yes, he can't hold on his own place as well as Lucas. But Coach Self did not realize he should value the whole team. When Mickelson was on the court, KU as team was much better than when Lucas on the court. Summary: Coach Self has become very conservative and timid. When the Coach is timid, don't expect his players are brave.

Doug Cramer 3 years, 9 months ago

100% agree !

Mickelson provides the chemistry this team needs and no player and no coach wants to admit it.

Bottom line - this team plays so much better when Mickelson is on the floor whether you like it or not.

This is on Coach Self...and it's very disturbing.

Craig Alexander 3 years, 9 months ago

Definitely agree. We have both Mickelson and Diallo on the bench when Lucas is playing horribly last night. Who cares if Diallo would foul out? At least he would get this game time preparation he needs and then Mickelson would be right there to help. Horrific game by the players and coach.

Michael Lorraine 3 years, 9 months ago

Can not see this team competing for a conference title against OU or WVU. The Sooners looked better in their two road losses than we did in some of our wins.

Pius Waldman 3 years, 9 months ago

There is no doubt that the post play needs to be better. Playing everybody might sound great for little league but Diallo and Bragg need playing time. The others are hard to decide Ellis with those two guys might be the best.

Joe Ross 3 years, 9 months ago

I couldnt bear to watch that display of ineptitude halfway through the second half, so I dont know if Diallo played down the stretch, but as long as we're getting our asses kicked you may as well get these guys in the game; you know, if the reason for sitting them is that you want to be in a position to win.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 9 months ago

My post this a couple of days ago citing the track record this group has had over the past couple of years unfortunately is again confirmed with yet another no-heart road performance. This is not the same team that won the WUG. Our team morale is shot to hell.

Something is wrong with this group, notably Mason. Newberry torched him all night, especially early in the second half. Mason loafed down the court allowing Newberry to hit a critical 3 for OSU's 50th point, then did the same for their 57th point. All our guards were awful but so were our bigs, although Bragg did fairly well though. Frankly, Mason needs a spell on the bench. He's either worn out or hurt. Either way, he's hurting the team far more than being any kind help.

Although I think we can run the table at home, I don't believe this group has the heart to win on the road. I can see us winning at TCU and KSU, maybe, but not at Austin, Waco, Ames, or Norman. In fact, given the track record this group has accumulated over the past years, more than a couple of those games are likely blow-out defeats. My projection is for this group to go 12-6 in conference. Will that be good enough to win or get a piece...? Assuming we go 1-1 in KC, we are probably looking at a 27-7 team going into the NCAA Tournament, which should get us a second seed.

Len Shaffer 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree with you about Mason, Suzi. There clearly is something wrong, as he's not playing with nearly the energy that he was at the beginning of the year. Maybe it's an injury they're not talking about, but whatever the reason, this team is not going to go anywhere without him playing at his best. (In fact, the team as a whole has not been the same since the OU game, as they mentioned during the broadcast -- and by the way, to go off on a tangent here, I love the broadcasting team of Fleming and Simon; I wish they'd do all our games. Very solid work.)

All that being said, hopefully they're getting a bad stretch out of the way now and will play better when it counts in March. I'd gladly give up the Big XII streak if it meant they got hot at the right time and won another title. Teams have certainly won a title with far worse seasons.

Benz Junque 3 years, 9 months ago

Someone give us a call when this team starts to play with enough fire and energy to be a competitive team again. They have mailed it in since the Oklahoma game. Not sure if they think they are good enough to play at 60% or what but that was an embarrassing display of basketball out there. And worse still is that so much of it was by upperclassmen who should have enough experience to know that playing that way will end in a loss.

Pretty pathetic.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 9 months ago

I would actually argue that this was long before the OU game. When Self shortened his bench the entire second half and went with traylor and Lucas in that OU game...IMO that was just the beginning.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 9 months ago

Mason and Selden have been terrible recently. We couldn't stop dribble penetration from another quick guard (which someone predicted yesterday, if I recall). This was a bad loss.

I wonder how the Fundies (Fundamentalists in the Church of Bill Self) will spin this loss. OK St is not a great team. In fact they are probably not a good team. But I am sure the Fundies will still claim there is nothing to learn from this loss; and anyone who talks about how this team can improve, enjoys eating sandwiches from KFC.

Joe Joseph 3 years, 9 months ago

You realize that you are Jay when you post stuff like this?

Jay Scott 3 years, 9 months ago

Joe, He's nothing similar. He knows nothing about basketball and his idiotic premise that anyone who mocks Chicken Littles believes nothing could be improved is idiotic, even for Jared.

His babbling is an expression of his lack of knowledge and wit, not a mocking of those things. "Fundies"? "Sandwiches"? Eight year olds have better material.

Humpy Helsel 3 years, 9 months ago

No. I'm not buying the no heart, no effort, overrated coach, wrong starters, playing time, simple answers stuff. This is a two Top 25 teams on one bench team. No. I think the celebrated Korea trip and the pressure of the Holy Grail of 12 Straight has this team EMOTIONALLY tired, more than physically so. Every team right now is tired and beat up. Like many good teams we are playing down to our competition (or our perception of it) and although cliche and basically a comment which means nothing, "we get everyone's best shot." They looked like a team playing "not to lose" rather than having fun playing to win. This morning I prepare to face my Oklahoma neighbors with "good game." "You guys certainly have a great foundation for a great team and a late season run." Blah, blah, blah blah, blah...Now what I'm really thinking is, "see you in Lawrence, baby."

During my long sleepless, nauseated night, in my grasping for explanations universe, I'm going with blasphemy this morning. Would it really be the end of the world if we didn't do the 12 straight? Unburdened from the burden, could it free this team up for a late season run allowing them to emerge into the 3rd season with as Coach calls it "playing with free mind." Gosh I hate to blaspheme first thing in the morning. Got to go. My prayers and Bible await. Time for repentance.

Benz Junque 3 years, 9 months ago

Blech. This stupid notion that removing the pressure of winning the Big 12 magically prepares the team better for a deep tourney run is a nauseating way to justify losing. It's used to justify losing early in the tourney "too worn out from the pressure of winning the Big 12" and is based on nothing more than desperation.

How about if the players just simply decide to play hard and stick to the scouting report?

Barry Weiss 3 years, 9 months ago

Well, that was painful to watch. A couple of things I noticed, Mason just looks tired. I know he was our leading scorer for the game, but this is mid-season and he is already nicked up. So we need another guard to step up. Svi??? 1 for 7? He is not getting it done and the announcers commented how OSU was having whoever Svi was guarding shoot or take it to the hole every time. And defense was or is Svi's strength, so something is off there. Next, we seem to have fallen back into the position where opposing guards get past our guards at the perimeter and then we are toast. One play Traylor just watched a guy take it right past him, did not even try to stop him after he got past our guard. Seldon sort of disappeared. I also noticed a definite hesitancy on our guards to fire the 3 ball. Its almost as if Coach has told them to slow that down.

Lastly, when you get beat on the boards badly, shoot less that 50% at the line, and the opposing team hits over 50% from beyond the arc and you are also on the road, you get beat.

The good thing? At least we are not peaking too early…..

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 9 months ago

"At least we are not peaking too early…"

Don't agree... We peaked in Korea.

I had the unfortunate experience of attending KU during the end years of the Ted Owens' era and although not nearly as talented, at least his teams played with heart.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 9 months ago

The passing of the years can cloud a lot.

Not quite sure what "heart" looks like when things are painfully unfundamental. Painfully.

Even when we are bad, we are better than 1980-ish.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 9 months ago

Dirk..you could very well be right. Memories often seem to make the past look better..nostalgic.

I do however remember going to TWO Final Fours in those 1980-ish years even if after I left.

For some, memories seem to disappear rather than fade due to early onset of age related issues.

Joe Baker 3 years, 9 months ago

OU in Norman isn't looking too promising. UT in Austin is likely a struggle. BU in Waco is going to be a battle. They smell Jayhawk blood and it's a feeding frenzy. Everyone now believes that KU is weak on the road. Sadly, this team is the only one that can change that perception.

Take away from Self...WE'RE IN TROUBLE. He is right about one fact, we will see who this team is at this point. I'm asking that question, "Who is this team?" Just when you think they have achieved an identity, they step back into obscurity for a game or two.

It's their decision, destiny, and they control it. Self needs to step up to his HOF status and coach this team's potential. A good coach finds a way to coach up all that he claims. It's gut check time for the coaches and the players.

Joe Joseph 3 years, 9 months ago

I mentioned after the WVU game that I wouldn't be alarmed until it (the seeming lack of effort) became a trend.

Well, it's a trend.

Mason is clearly injured and, like all previous injuries of the such under Bill Self, we will never know the full extent of it until the season is over. He hasn't been able to get his shoulders past his defender for a couple of weeks now. Due to the lack of quality ball handlers on this team he's going to be forced to continue playing extended minutes. That, or Self bails on the Mason-Graham tandem backcourt and lets Green or Svi play more. Unfortunately, Svi has essentially become a Brady Morningstar type player without the defensive prowess and, amazingly, without the touch from deep. He can move the ball, but that's pretty much it. It's time for Self to unleash Greene (once he's healthy) and accept him for what he is -- this team's best, most consistent shooter. He's going to make mistakes, but the potential reward is worth the risk of playing him.

Mike Barnhart 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm concerned! Coach Self spent 10 years coaching "lock-down defense" and "feed the post." Then, all of the sudden his team starts raining threes and giving up 75 points a game. Looks like that was "fools gold!" How does this team change gears at this point?

Brett McCabe 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm utterly confused.....

Credit to Rodney Crain, who I disagreed with vehemently for addressing concerns with the program a long while back. Rodney focused on recruiting efforts but those efforts seem to be symptomatic of bigger issues.

This team won the WUG, moved into the Taj Mahal, landed a single 3-star recruit and, after the Baylor and OU games pretty much quit trying.

While OSU's 4-star freshman drops 22 on us, our two McDonald's AA's can barely get on the court. Our best shooter can't dribble, pass or defend but is mad enough to get himself suspended for 4 games. And has anyone seen Wayne? You know, that guy who had turned the corner?

Is the season lost? Of course not, but the title probably is. The bigger question is why is our program in such a funk - from recruit evaluation, to recruiting in general, to ineligible players, to suspended players, to soft/exhausted players.....what's wrong?

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 9 months ago

"I'M AFRAID! ALL RIGHT?! YOU WANT TO HEAR ME SAY IT? You want to break me down? All right, I'm afraid. For the first time in my life, I'm afraid."

I agree, GREAT reference..

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps we let our expectations get away from us after the WUGs. The first exhibition game vs PSU was the first sign, this year, this team lacked the necessary juices. However, that was an exhibition game. Nonetheless, this is essentially the same group that laid down on several road games last year...and the year before.

Joe Joseph 3 years, 9 months ago

I would add coaching philosophy to your list of potential issues. Not that Self's philosophy doesn't work, but that there seems to have been little evolution over the years or attempt to play to the strengths of his roster.

Brian Wilson 3 years, 9 months ago

I will tell it one more time. Ellis is not a Power Forward, Selden is not small forward, and Mason is not a shooting guard. Bill Self the past few years is dumb and dazed. He let Ellis and Selden lock down their positions and never benched them for better players at their position. Andrew White is now leading Nebraska in scoring and Frankamp by tournament time will be starting for the Shockers. Mickelson is sitting on the bench. Today, the lineup should be Mickelson, Diallo, Ellis, White, and Mason with Bragg, Greene, Selden off the bench. But obviously that can't happen since we chased Andrew away.

Justin Kruse 3 years, 9 months ago

It seemed to me that we got away from running much offense. Perry is the best inside scoring threat we've got and the ball needs to be fed to him most possessions.

Or pull Perry out to the perimeter occasionally and post up Selden.

The talent level on this team hasn't changed since the start of the season; we're still really talented. Get some energy and effort guys in there. I think Hunter is that guy. his effort is never in question and I think we play well with him in there.

Rock Chalk!

Bradly Moore 3 years, 9 months ago

I think it starts with our senior "leader" Perry Ellis. He is weak physically and mentally. His "ho-hum" "aw-shucks" attitude stinks. He has no fire, no passion, and no guts. His attitude has rubbed off on the other players. We need players like Withey, Jackson, the Morris twins, T-Rob. Those players had had testicular fortitude. When a team looks to its leader, it needs to feel inspired. Ellis inspires no emotion, and it shows.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 9 months ago

I had about the same thing in an earlier post but deleted it because Ellis has been discussed so much previously. From all accounts Ellis is a great individual but he is who he is. The team needs to look elsewhere for that kind of leadership. We shouldn't ask something from a person who is incapable, for whatever reason, of delivering.

I've concluded Ellis playing in a relatively uncompetitive Wichita environment killed his competitive growth instincts. As a immensely talented Wichita freshman, he was All-State. Although I never saw him play HS Ball, it seems he must have gotten comfortable playing at that freshman level where he could dominate lesser competition. As a result, he must have never pushed his skill set to develop in a competitive environment. Had Ellis grown up playing HS ball in Chicago or someplace like that where much more was demanded, I'm convinced he'd be an NBA star by now. We need to appreciate Ellis for what and who he is.

After 3 years (4 for Ellis), I'm convinced this team does not possess "that person." Seldom should be "that guy" but he's incredibly inconsistent and appears to have more personalities than Sybil. I thought it might be Graham but it's becoming clearer every game he does not have the skill set to play on an elite level.

The coaching staff has done a horrible job recruiting elite guards with leadership qualities,

Kent Richardson 3 years, 9 months ago

"More personalities than Sybil". That is just too cool.

Craig Alexander 3 years, 9 months ago

This is the face we need. Unfortunately if Ellis had this happen he would be halfway to the locker room before a picture would be taken.

Joe Baker 3 years, 9 months ago

They need some stank face, because I felt that way last night and today. OSU fans here in Okie City are shocked. They thought KU would destroy them. I was embarrassed. I had no words.

Ryan Patti 3 years, 9 months ago

When this team falls behind in a game, they quit. Our win over Oklahoma is becoming more and more stunning. This team could never pull off what the 2011-12 team did in February and beyond. They were called the 'Comeback Kids' for a reason. This team has no idea what it takes to win a title and it's sad because there is so much talent. Even the 2012-13 team that started KEVIN FREAKIN YOUNG would mop the floor with these guys. Until we start seeing blood, sweat, and tears left on the floor, this nonsense that has occurred since Trey Burke buried that 35-footer will continue. I can only imagine if this team got mad and played with a fire lit under them. We'd be the best team in the country easily!!

Matthew Roesner 3 years, 9 months ago

When my 16 year old daughter comments on a particular play...feed to Perry in post, OKC collapses three players, Graham fails to slide to baseline, Seldon doesn't rotate to passing lane, Bragg fails to take step into the weak side paint, and Svi stays on opposite baseline with three defenders between him and the ball instead or rotating up to a clear look...then you know something is definitely wrong. Simple things taught in high school are not being executed well by a top 5 team. We have the talent, the coaching but for some reason, the execution is not there.

Damian Glaze 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree. This team has fallen in love with each individual praise from the press, coaches and fans that they are content with watching one another go one-on-one every trip down. Has the team been sped up too much to think that running even a little bit of offense is an option? The key to beating this team right now is making them cross center court in the 8-10 second range. From that point they will rely on two or three interchanges at the top of the key and then someone will go one-on-one. That's it. We all thought the reduction in the game clock would benefit KU - and in particular this team. But for some reason it has brought about limited offensive execution and selfish play.

Defensively our guards are pretty much doing the same thing. Svi and Devonte get caught looking at others defend and get beat for back doors and spot up threes. The breakdown is happening in the back court. Every game one or two guards explodes for a season high. Where are these lock down defenders we have heard about. I'm at the point where I would go with four bigs and one guard to ensure there is some ball distribution and emphasis on getting physical in the middle. That might be extreme, but I would at least scale it to a two guard lineup with Devonte and Mason both working towards 20-25 minutes a game. The three guard lineup is starting to show an ugly side of this team.

James Donnell 3 years, 9 months ago

We really have a veteran team with (supposedly) good young talent mixed in--so what exactly IS the problem? This group makes me yearn for some of the teams from the recent past. Think of this team compared to some of those groups of guys--there is no comparison. We currently have so many deficiencies. The problems are pretty apparent: our guards are subpar and can't stop the penetration or shooting of the opposing guards; we have virtually no inside game; we rely on Ellis to carry us, when he is not that type of guy--he's excellent and solid but not dominating. Basically, if we don't shoot a high percentage, especially from 3, we lose; and it seems like our strategy is often to NOT attempt threes but force it into the paint, where we seldom finish.

What is wrong with our players? Have they been over-hyped? Are other teams getting much better players? I hate to say it, but it seems that way.

Allin Herring 3 years, 9 months ago

I still believe that last year's KU team was the worst team we have had since the Ted Owen's years. The only thing that has changed on this years team is that they are a year older and we now have 2 OAD's that ride the bench ( though I do not think either are a real OAD or merit the rankings they recieved.) We still have a team that does not play defense or rebound. We still have a team that does not play with heart or intensity. We still have a game plan to go through the post though we do not have a post. We still have a team that has a coach that refuses to make adjustments on defense if we need it. But after tonight's embarrassing lost and the WVS lost and the lackluster performance òf the other games since the OU game it is looking more and more clear that the only change in the future is a new Big 12 Champion! If Self does not find the key to how to get this team to play defense with intensity we will still have a team whose season will end in the first NCAA weekend ( like many of his team's have done). Which team do we have? The OU inspired team or the Okla. State team? Please snap out of the daze!

Joe Joseph 3 years, 9 months ago

Roy had a couple of bad teams with Nick Bradford and company, circa 1999, 2000.

Ryan Patti 3 years, 9 months ago

We should've learned a lot from West Virginia on how to defend. Stepping in passing lanes, help-defense, trapping...The 2012-13 team did a lot of that. If Bill can resort back to that style of play, I like this team a lot moving forward. Too bad if he does because none of the players are inspired anyway...

Layne Pierce 3 years, 9 months ago

I am going to say that one more loss like this and we are done. Three strikes and your out. Three body blows and you can't lift your arms any more. The one thing I always admired about Illinois under Self was how hard they played, and the way that going to the basket against them was dangerous.

The same way with Larry Brown teams, you try to drive to the basket, and you are going to get a body. This team plays like let's not get anybody hurt.

One problem is that they feel like they are so good that they should be winning all games by 10 points at half-time, if they are not, then something is wrong. They need to go into every game thinking we are going to take this thing to the wire, and we are going to win it in the end.

I believe it is time for a real decision, 1) We are going to play Bragg and Diallo half of every game, starting, or off the bench, so that they can develop at least by the end of the season, even if that means we don't win the League, or Start Mikkelson again, because frankly, he is the only person in the post, who knows what he is doing, and knows how to play the team concept.

trying to do both of these things at the same time, is not getting it done.

Lastly, we should be playing more possession ball. We shoot way to early in the clock, and we should hire a free throw shooting coach. We are atrocious. I cringe every time we have a 1 and 1.

suzi i think more like 13-5 to win the conference, and I really see us right now coming in 3rd.

Jay Scott 3 years, 9 months ago

The Chicken Littles are reaching new heights of lunacy. A team that was picked as a #1 seed by every analyst in the country yesterday morning, had a bad shooting night on the road and suddenly the season is over, the coach should be fired and a winless football team has more potential.

Thankfully there are real fans who don't derive their self worth from every game result.

Allin Herring 3 years, 9 months ago

And what is your excuse for WVU? Bet it was the snow storm. What about our wonderful performance at TT and TCU? More bad shooting nights ? Love your Mary Poppins Replies

Jay Scott 3 years, 9 months ago

Red. Did any basketball expert predict that any Big12 team would go undefeated in conference? I could be wrong, but didn't Kansas win at TTU and TCU?

DaNeille Dani Davis 3 years, 9 months ago

They need to get back to the way they were playing before the last four crappy games....move the ball, get open looks, shoot with confidence, and play faster. Shoot, they walk the ball up the court, pass it a couple of times then try to take em one on one to the basket and lose the ball! WTH is wrong with this team! Get back to what made you the number one team! Not the last team! Play to win...not to lose! Tired of this crap year! Just frickin play like you're the best!

Ryan Shelton 3 years, 9 months ago

I was there, and believe me, there was no where close to 11,000 fans! It was as pathetic an environment as I've ever seen for a basketball game with KU. 5 minutes before the game, I laughed with my buddy that if they did storm the court, there wouldn't be enough fans to fill it!

That is what baffles me the most about this game. There was no home-court advantage. There was very little energy in the place. Sure, the students showed up and did their part, but this wasn't a hostile environment. I fully expected OSU to come out of the tunnel, see a 2/3 empty arena, and play flat.

Perhaps that's why KU played so flat? I don't know. At least the salute to Bob Davis was worth the price of admission.

Barry Weiss 3 years, 9 months ago

It is a tough conference. I thought we would lose 4, which included Ames and Norman, along with WV. So that means we have to win out the rest. I still say we get Diallo and Bragg in 20 minutes per game. If Svi and Greene can't give Mason and Graham more help, Vick is worth a shot. He did well in Korea.

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 9 months ago

Thank you, Jay, for waiting as long as you did to comment. It showed a lot of restraint.

OK, I get it! The team and the coaching staff had a bad game, but show a little maturity. Are some of you folks willing to set such high standards for yourselves? You're beginning to sound like Kentucky and Duke fans. Just visit some of their blogs. My goodness! What "fair weather" fans in some instances. Plus, they make excuses right and left.

Bill Self was direct and accountable in his comments at the opening of the article. For whatever reason, this team looks tired. Perhaps the summer in Korea is catching up with them a little. Also, I think the OU game might have taken a lot more out of them than we thought at first, given that we won the game. However, you won't hear any excuses from the team or coaching staff, so I wouldn't insult them by seriously trying to give any.

In short, it is gut check time, and I have confidence that the players and staff will respond.

Also, I agree with Joe Ross about playing time for Cheick Diallo. Now is the time to see if he can be the kind of game changer that we need to spice things up.

Brett McCabe 3 years, 9 months ago

The OU game? Seriously? You'd have thought that these guys were at Iwo Jima. OU seems to to have survived it okay, and they lost the game.

In terms of calling people fair-weather fans, perhaps you need to get a clue. This isn't one random loss. This is a 19-point demolition by a barely .500+ team, that follows a double-digit demolition in Morgantown and a sleepwalk past the worst team in the conference.

Fans who want their team to perform well aren't fair-weather fans, they are just fans. Fair-weather fans are those who only show up when the bandwagon is in motion.

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 9 months ago

P. S. One poster is conspicuously absent so far. If you are out there Mick Allen, what is your take? I always enjoy your insights.

Tom Jones 3 years, 9 months ago

They'll be fine.

That beatdown will be good for both team and coach in the end.

Clark Groseth 3 years, 9 months ago

Consider this: While there has been much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth in the JayHawk Nation, imagine what it would be like if their beloved Hawks had lost three in a row like a certain bunch of Blue Devils.

Eric Schneider 3 years, 9 months ago

Can we finally take Lucas out of the rotation. The game is just too fast for him. Though Texas will be a better matchup for him. And a message needs to be sent to 3 of our starters. Start Graham, Bragg or Diallo, Mickleson, Svi, and Greene if he can go on Saturday. Seldin and Ellis are just going through the motions. And Mason is either hurt or brain dead. The offense also needs to go through Bragg as much as possible until Ellis remembers how to pass again.

David Kemp 3 years, 9 months ago

Agree the Lucas experiment has failed. What a waste of 6'9. Guy just can't play basketball.

Lloyd Kinnison 3 years, 9 months ago

I feel for the players. However, they really looked bad! Missing under the basket points. Maybe it is time for basic training again! This team has played so-so to bad for the last three games.

Mike Barnhart 3 years, 9 months ago

Discipline, toughness, pride and work ethic are passed from class to class by leaders. It can't be coached! Once the chain is broken, coaches need to recruit new leaders and create an environment that challenges them to be great.

Travis Releford, Kevin Young, Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor may have been the end of a long line of leaders. The leadership vacuum hasn't been filled by the likes of softer guys like Elijah Johnson, Nadiir Tharp, Perry Ellis, Wayne Selden, Andrew Wiggins, Kelly Oubre and so on!

We need some tough guys!

RJ King 3 years, 9 months ago

I'd trade the 3-pt shooting potential of our current wings for the lock-down defense of Releford in a heartbeat. And I miss the barking mouth of Tyshawn, and KY's contagious bounce and ability to turn garbage into gold.

Energy and heart took that group nearly all the way.

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for your idiotic personal attacks, Brett. Not much joy in your world, I guess.

Janet Olin 3 years, 9 months ago

My concern is not about the loss but about the manner in which they lost: non-existent perimeter defense, missed free throws (all mental), allowing the opponent to shoot 50% plus. Sure, some days your shots don't fall, but no explanation for the other woes satisfies. Frank is clearly not 'fine', as Coach alleges. Wonder if he's hurt and coaches are downplaying it like they did Selden's knee (that needed surgery) all of last season? Maybe they were making effort, but didn't look like it. I can stand about any other explanation than lack of effort. No D1 athlete getting a full-ride college education should ever say (s)he wasn't 'into' the game. Hope nobody has serious injury.

Cedric Spire 3 years, 9 months ago

Mason hasn't been the same since the OU game when he asked to take Heild on D. He has to be injured. Self needs to see this and rest him. Go back to 1 pg let Graham and Mason share minutes they can't continue to play 34-36 minutes a game. Play Vick at the SG see if he can create some steels with his long reach or move Wayne back and put Greene at the 3. The rotation needs to be 9 with only 4 bigs (Mickelson, Bragg, Ellis, & Diallo).

Our D is horrendous mainly on the perimeter. If the guards are not capable of getting in a stance and guarding Self may need to consider zone. Self needs to make adjustments in game if its apparent we can't guard. This is a coaching stubbornness that is really annoying. Its a lot easier to run offense when you know exactly what they are going to do on D.