Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Cheick Diallo ‘fine’ in first career start

Kansas forward Cheick Diallo (13) loses a rebound to Oklahoma State guard Jawun Evans (1) during the first half, Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2016 at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater, Okla.

— Kansas University freshman forward Cheick Diallo made the first start of his college career on Tuesday night, scoring four points with two rebounds and a steal in 13 minutes.

The 6-foot-9 Mali native hit two of three shots and missed a pair of free throws without a make in KU’s 86-67 loss at Oklahoma State.

“I don’t think anybody had a chance to look that good tonight. He was fine,” KU coach Bill Self said.

“That position has been pretty inconsistent for us,” Self added of the fifth starting spot, and post players working with Perry Ellis inside. “He did some good things. He was so nervous. (There are) a lot of things he has to do to maybe fit in better. I think he did fine.”

Senior forward Hunter Mickelson, who started the last 10 games next to Ellis, played just two minutes.

Self said Mickelson was healthy for the game.

— See what people were saying about KU at Oklahoma State during KUsports.com’s live coverage

More news and notes from Kansas at Oklahoma State

By the Numbers: Oklahoma State 86, Kansas 67

By the Numbers: Oklahoma State 86, Kansas 67

Comments

Chris Shaw 3 years, 9 months ago

I've been a pretty a big advocate so far this season of getting the frosh Bragg and Diallo more opportunities. With that said, I don't understand why Self decided tonight was the best night to get Diallo his first career start?

Why this game? Self did this last year where he gave Cliff his first career start on the road? Why? From a psychology standpoint it makes no sense to me. It baffles me! Self waits, waits, waits, waits and waits some more and then he decides against Okie State in Stillwater in a hostile environment is the best opportunity for Diallo to get his first career start?

Hey, I'm all for the move, but I'm highly questioning the "timing" of it? Why not in the friendly confines of Allen Fieldhouse on Saturday against TCU? Or this Saturday against Texas? I don't know, but Diallo was getting 5 and 6 minutes a game and now all of a sudden you decide in Stillwater against the pokes is the best time to get Diallo his first career start?

Alexander picked up two quick fouls in his first career start last year and didn't look great at all on the road. I don't get it! I can understand uncetainity at times that Self has with this squad but come on. Self's decision making regarding Diallo and Bragg has been certainly a head scratcher this year.

Joe Baker 3 years, 9 months ago

I don't understand Self at all anymore. He seems desperate and panicked with this team.

Steve Zimmerman 3 years, 9 months ago

Good question. But I'm all for it. As long as Diallo, Bragg, Mickelson play more, I'm fine. LL and JT PT have to be cut down - by a lot. Playing one or BOTH of them have always been a risk.

Barry Weiss 3 years, 9 months ago

The announcers, and me at home, thought Diallo played fairly good. Not sure why he got the hook so quick and sat so long. At least he and Bragg brought energy. Sure, they make some mistakes, but the effort was there. I get so frustrated when Landon, Hunter and even Perry can't finish at the rim. Jam that sucker!! Rant over.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 9 months ago

Definitely agree with giving the extra effort to go up and stuff the ball home.

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 9 months ago

Good grief, Chris and Joe. Would you rather that Diallo get his first road start at Iowa State next Monday night? After all, you want more playing time for him, so loosen up. And Joe, doesn't take much for you to jump off the wagon, does it? Have you been asleep for the past 12+ years?

Go get em, Barry!

Chris Shaw 3 years, 9 months ago

Harlan, come on now.I stated above that it would have made more sense to start Diallo in th friendly confines of Allen Fieldhouse last Saturday against TCU or this Saturday against Texas.

If we really want to talk specifics, the Diallo/Bragg situation should have happened in the non conference but you can't change that now. Now you're seeing the result of the "waiting" Self implemented with his decision making.

My only point, why not @ home? That would seem to be a big confidence booster if you ask me. Even though all this is happening now with whatever this team is going though, better now than later.

IMO the game against Okie state had nothing to do with X's and O's. Mentally this team is a mess from the players on up to the coaches.

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 9 months ago

He's going to have to learn to play on the road at sometime, Chris. You can't have it both ways. Waiting until the Texas game just postpones the inevitable. Furthermore, ever think that he might be under a lot more pressure at home due to the high expectations?

There are a lot of factors that have weighed into what has happened thus far, and you are certainly right that we gain nothing by "crying over spilled milk", so to speak.

As for the mentality of the team and coaches, you are certainly taking an extreme position. That's your right, but I surely wouldn't want you guarding my backside.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 9 months ago

It sounds like the arena was half empty so hardly the hostile environment of the normal KU road game, and definitely not the expectations of 16,300.

All the talk of playing Cheick sooner misses the fact that he missed so so much practice time as well as all the early season warm ups. It's definitely not Coach Self's preferred arrangement, but Cheick in particular was in no way ready to start, or even play meaningful minutes until recently.

And while we're at it, it's a shame that Coach Self can't recruit like the juggernauts K & C - who also lost again and are nearing the bottom of the rankings.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 9 months ago

Well K has 5. NCAA Championships, 12 Final Fours, 12 ACC regular season titles, and 13 ACC Tournament championships. He knows how to correct just about any issue there is.