Thursday, January 7, 2016

Self gives tired Kansas players some time off

Kansas forward Perry Ellis (34) gets fouled by Oklahoma forward Ryan Spangler (00) on his way to the bucket during the second half, Monday, Jan. 4, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Seeing some exhaustion in his Kansas University basketball players after Monday night’s triple-overtime victory over Oklahoma, KU coach Bill Self allowed for some down time this week.

“Frank said, ‘Coach I got nothing still’ and that was yesterday,” KU coach Bill Self said Thursday referring to Frank Mason III, who played 53 minutes in Monday’s 109-106 win.

“So much of that is not the physical, it’s the emotional letdown, going from being so geeked up to being drained. We’ll handle it, but I don’t know if there’s a perfect way to do it,” Self added.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self on recovering from massive win, preparing for road

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self discusses how the Jayhawks will manage to recover from their thrilling and exhausting triple-overtime win over Oklahoma before heading on the road for Saturday's game at Texas Tech.

Download podcast

His (13-1, 2-0) Jayhawks, who were awarded a day off Tuesday and practiced for just 35 minutes Wednesday, had a full practice Thursday in preparation for Saturday’s 8 p.m., clash at (11-2, 1-1) Texas Tech.

“I feel great. I got iced up. My body feels good,” said KU senior forward Perry Ellis, who also played 53 minutes vs. OU. “It was so much effort. We left it all on the floor. A lot of minutes were played. It’s definitely an advantage the little break we had between games,” Ellis added.

Sophomore guard Devonté Graham, who played 46 minutes, said he “was feeling pretty good” on Tuesday after staying up until 6 a.m., watching a replay of the contest. “I was still excited about the game. Actually yesterday (Wednesday) I was more sore than the day before. I’m feeling pretty good now. We’ve kind of got to get over it. It’s just the second game of conference play. We’ve got to look ahead to Texas Tech and get ready for that game.”

Senior forward Jamari Traylor, who had two vicious second-half blocks of OU shots, including one in which he fell hard on his back, apparently survived unscathed.

“I asked him yesterday, ‘How is your back?’ He said, ‘My back is fine. I kind of messed my knee up,’’’ Self said. “It was a hard fall, though.”

All things considered, Self is grateful the schedule maker allowed for just two games this week. If say, Monday’s game, had been played Wednesday, “we’d be in trouble,” Self stated. “The only other game I can compare to, when we played Missouri here (87-86 OT win, Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012), we played Oklahoma State Monday night at Oklahoma State (70-58 KU victory). After that (MU) game, what do you do? Go home and get some rest. I told them, ‘Have a good time, be smart, then don’t do anything on Sunday, and hope like heck that you got enough batteries to play on Monday.’ Fortunately we did that particular game. I think that was a game that kind of clinched it (league). Yes, I don’t think that we would have responded very well at all.”

“We knew the league was going to be tough,” Graham said. “It’s always tough. In the league, we really are not at the top. We’ve won both home games. West Virginia has won two on the road (at TCU, at KSU). They are really plus two ahead of us. We have to focus on winning on the road. It’s going to be tougher to win those games.”

Oddsmakers like Jayhawks: KU is the new favorite to win the NCAA title, according to betting site Bovada.lv. KU has 15/2 odds, followed by Michigan State 17/2, Oklahoma 9/1, North Carolina 10/1, Duke 12/1, Kentucky, 14/1, Virginia 14/1, Xavier 14/1, Louisville 16/1, LSU 16/1, Maryland 16/1, Purdue 16/1. Iowa State is 28/1, Baylor 75/1, Wichita State 75/1, West Virginia 75/1, Texas 100/1, K-State 500/1, Oklahoma State 500/1, OU’s Buddy Hield is leading contender for national player of the year with 2/3 odds, while LSU’s Ben Simmons is 4/1. ISU’s Georges Niang is 16/1 with no KU players currently listed.

Comments

Don Sparlin 5 years, 9 months ago

That was a wonderful game. My thanks to all the players and coaches. I sensed that KU had just a little more in the tank than the Sooners at the end. My appreciation to Hudy for her excellent conditioning of our team. You can't even shoot free throws without legs!

Joe Ross 5 years, 9 months ago

You must have fallen asleep when KU was ahead of Michigan State in the Champions Classic. They came back and bit us.

Joe Ross 5 years, 9 months ago

Light goes on....

The Michigan State game was actually the second game of the season. So anyone, like I did, could have assumed you were talking about the second game on the schedule...which we did in fact lose. But after having reread the article:

His (11-2, 2-0) Jayhawks, who were awarded a day off Tuesday and practiced for just 35 minutes Wednesday...

I realize you were inquiring as to whether or not there were two losses on the record. There aren't, and you are entirely correct that we are NOT 11-2.

Brett McCabe 5 years, 9 months ago

Could this be a game where Vick might see some p-t, to give Frank/Devonte a breather?

This is an instance where bench depth should give us a big lift - Carlton in for Perry for a few more minutes, the Hunter/Jamari/Landen/Cheick combo and, of course, possibly some more from BG and Svi.

For a back-up player, this would be a great time to show that you can bring energy and intensity to the floor.

Jay Scott 5 years, 9 months ago

Vick will get walk on minutes and little more. He knows and understands. Getting Svi minutes is a much much higher priority.

Jay Scott 5 years, 9 months ago

Of course the players wouldn't be so tired if Self (who should be fired) realized that playing in an High School All Star game was much more important than 3 years of college basketball experience.....- The Chicken Littles

Tom Jones 5 years, 9 months ago

Give it a rest, Jay, please.

Signed, Everyone

;)

Jay Scott 5 years, 9 months ago

Tom. Around the world, there are soldiers risking and losing their lives to allow us the freedom we all enjoy. You have the freedom to make your comments, which are nearly always salient. People who disagree with them are free to provide praise or counterpoints as they choose, or to ignore you. The Chicken Littles are free to show up on virtually every discussion and rant about how Self should be fired and provide their reasons. I hope they never stop. I also enjoy that same freedom. If you don't agree with me, make a valid counterpoint, praise me or ignore me. Insult me if you like. You have that freedom. Use it. I will also.

A word of advice. Never believe you represent everyone. Nothing is so ignorant.

Brett McCabe 5 years, 9 months ago

Didn't he just use his right to comment?

Though I don't want to speak for Tom, I believe the implication was that posting the same post multiple times a week is not really something you should do. I even think that the brave soldiers you mention would probably beat you with socks stuffed with bars of soap if they had to hear you repeat the exact same thing over, and over, and over. In fact, I'm pretty sure that you would be a victim of friendly fire.

The Michigan State game was a long time ago. I have a feeling that if a 4-year-old kid broke a lamp in your household, he's still be hearing about it in college.

Jay Scott 5 years, 9 months ago

What has the Michigan State to do with anything? Were there an unusual number of "hockey assists"?

There are Chicken Little comments on virtually every discussion. Are so you entrenched is that mindset that they escape your notice? Is it cool that those like you make the same angry rants over and over. But not cool that someone mocks them...hmmm..

Brett McCabe 5 years, 9 months ago

Again with the repeating....and the stupidity.

Jay Scott 5 years, 9 months ago

So you really have no idea what you were getting at with the Michigan State idea? You're right. That is stupidity.

Brett McCabe 5 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, that's why I wrote it, because I didn't understand what I was trying to say. Think a little, it might come to you, but probably not.

Jay Scott 5 years, 9 months ago

That's even weak for you. You made no sense at any level. Mocking you isn't very difficult.

Jay Scott 5 years, 9 months ago

Brett. I'm really sorry for humiliating you, again. I know it's happened too many times not to have damaged your psyche. The simple fact is that Your MSU comment made no sense whatsoever. No amount of infantile insults will change where you've put yourself, again.

Brett McCabe 5 years, 9 months ago

Last Word....times infinity! Ha!

You still don't understand the Sparty reference, and it's killing you! Maybe you could call on some of those brave soldiers to help you figure it out?

Tom Jones 5 years, 9 months ago

Just trying to help you (by allowing most of us to take you more seriously) and the rest of the commenters (who have to read the same comment over and over), that's all.

You think that Self is handling Diallo correctly and think everyone who doesn't falls into the Chicken Little category.

I'm just saying that we get it. We really, really do.

Cheers!

Jay Scott 5 years, 9 months ago

I actually think it would be better if Diallo got more minutes. I think people who think Self should be fired, Traylor and Lucas should be benched or cut, Mickelson should play 25 minutes because, well just because,Greene should play 25 minutes because he can shoot and Bragg and Diallo should each play 25 minutes because they were highly ranked are Chicken Littles.

As long as those people make such arguments, often all at once, I might mock them. There are no shortage of such participants. Cheers!

Brett McCabe 5 years, 9 months ago

"Straw man on aisle three.....Straw man on aisle three...."

Kent Richardson 5 years, 9 months ago

TTU gave ISU all they could handle. A lot of impact on this game was from fouls and Niang sitting out because of that. Not a high level of consistency on the calls. The charging calls are getting more consistent but the reach in stuff, which happens on every dribble play, is being called or not called. Any of our starters can get two quickies in the first five minutes and be on the bench. Refs have a lot of say in games so far.

This bodes well for additional PT. Vick is intriguing with his stroke and size but we have hardly seen him outside of mop up duty.

I have been wanting to see Carlton for Perry but they are such different players. Carlton has a decent stroke but isn't aware of where he is. He will shoot a quick two from just inside the three point line and doesn't display a mid range move. It's shoot from where he gets it or a put back.

Chieck is being projected 11th in the upcoming draft? It is betting all on the come for sure.

Hunter is good at the rim on D and has a couple of shooting moves but he is inconsistent on those.

We are still very unsettled inside so Brannen and Svi will likely have the best opportunity to keep us in games when they are playing. I would also love to see Vick bring a D&O presence to this duo. If he could be a Selden type, wow!

Our upcoming game at WVU will probably determine the early conference leader and will be as tiring as the OU game because of the brutal pressure D and board work game they adhere too. They don't shoot well from outside but hit the O boards harder than Baylor.

Brett McCabe 5 years, 9 months ago

I do think that it will be more difficult to distribute bench minutes against WVU because of the pressure. We had so much difficulty with their press last year, I'm hoping that the experience that both Frank and Devonte have gained will tip the scales.

Kent Richardson 5 years, 9 months ago

It is a little cringe worthy watching Svi and Brannen dribbling,

Harlan Hobbs 5 years, 9 months ago

Yes, Kent, you did hit the mark quite well. Also, at the risk of angering some individuals, I liked your response Jay. It was well stated and written, and should make us all sit back a little and relax. We know that all of us probably have a little desire to be "backseat coaches" at times. That's fine in my opinion.

I would just add that we will really be in trouble when nobody is interested enough to comment. Don't think that will ever happen with KU basketball.

Jay Scott 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't agree with everything Self does. I'd like to see Greene and Svi get more time. There will be a need to match up with 6'8-6'9 wing players on the way to Houston. More time with one PG would allow that and rest Mason and Graham. Or even a few minutes with only one "big" and Greene/Svi with the 3 regular guards to really push tempo.

I know I can be acerbic toward the perpetually negative types. That's where people get a chance to defend their ideas or ignore the posts that mock them as a group. It's those that can't that go bananas.

Brett McCabe 5 years, 9 months ago

So...you're saying that Bill Self should be fired? Have you turned your resume into Zenger? And you think that the sky has fallen due to too many hockey assists? Please alert the media that Svi desperately needs more minutes, it's really, really important. Only an imbecile like Self wouldn't see things the exact same way you see them. Go Sparty!

Jay Scott 5 years, 9 months ago

Nobody could ever humiliate you more than you just did.

Brett McCabe 5 years, 9 months ago

Actually, there was this time when a bunch of us were out tipping cows...

Kent Richardson 5 years, 9 months ago

I have been struggling with the playing minutes all season. I never think I know more than Self. This is a win now game and has become more so over the past 20 years.

Of course it would benefit Diallo to play 30 minutes a game. But we would probably not see a threefold increase in his development. The same for Vick, etc.

The difference between Vick and Diallo is Cheick is from a background of no basketball year round for 10 years like Vick may have been from. I am starting to watch other developing country big men who are in fashion and seeing a lot of the same things regarding lack of development vs explosive athletic talent. It seems like we keep seeing, with exceptions of course, players taking into their third season to get the experience and knowledge to be effective players at this level.

All your comments that I read make me more likely to check my facts and be responsible for the content.

I will say, being a person who was in harm's way many years ago, that I felt a need to do my part for keeping us free when I started. But never thought about it after that and still don't.

Jay Scott 5 years, 9 months ago

Good thoughts Kent.

Vick almost certainly has no expectation of real playing time this year. His big contributions are in seasons ahead. I like what I've seen of him.

I don't always agree with your musings but they're positive or at least inquisitive and you're happy to exchange opinions on them.

John Randall 5 years, 9 months ago

Experience accrues much more often in practice than in game situations. That's when the learning curve is at maximum for everyone, and even the pressure of game time can be simulated –– especially with a bench of 7-12 Div I quality players pressing each other for those precious minutes.

I do think coach Self is usually overboard on securing a W before lengthening the rotation, but piling up those W's is what it's all about, you know?

Michael Lorraine 5 years, 9 months ago

Good point Harlan. Not much arguing/fighting/name calling on the football side, or even posting. Wish that would change.

Henry Joseph Hofmeister 5 years, 9 months ago

Amazingly, after two games, KU and West Virginia are the only Big 12 unbeatens at 2-0. Oklahoma, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma State and Texas are 1-1 with Kansas State and TCU 0-2. soo... that's only 10, you should prolly add the other two to this paragraph.